Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:01:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is NOT a currency debate!  (Read 6136 times)
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 08:08:39 PM

Bitcoin is NOT a currency!

In it's simplest form it is just payment rails. Stop thinking about is as currency and what is left to regulate?

If a merchant selling a pair of jeans for $250 accepts a 1 bitcoin and customer 2 weeks later asks for a refund with a value of a bitcoin going up to $300. Is he going to get 1 bitcoin back or a value of the jeans he bought? Naturally, the value, which means 3/4 of a bitcoin at the time of the refund. So, how does it make bitcoin a currency. ITS NOT!

What do you think?

Well, if you pay the hundred dollars for jeans, and your currency goes up, you will get three hundred when you refund he jeans. Ur logic is weird :'|
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 09:39:28 PM

Bitcoin is valuable as any other currency. Just like Dollars have value and usage now because we think they're worth that much.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:37:42 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2015, 06:12:21 AM by n2004al

To tell the truth for me is more store of value than currency or money. I am not using bitcoin at all. Not to buy something, not to trade, not to gamble. I am store it with the hope that its value will increased in time and I can earn much more when this value will be hundred time more.

But I think that bitcoin is money. As someone told above with it can be bought goods. Many merchants (including big producers like Microsoft, Dell, etc) give their products for bitcoin. In the modern world is not used clering so if those give their products when the people give bitcoin then bitcoin without doubt is money.

Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 02:53:08 AM

Bitcoin is NOT a currency!

In it's simplest form it is just payment rails. Stop thinking about is as currency and what is left to regulate?

If a merchant selling a pair of jeans for $250 accepts a 1 bitcoin and customer 2 weeks later asks for a refund with a value of a bitcoin going up to $300. Is he going to get 1 bitcoin back or a value of the jeans he bought? Naturally, the value, which means 3/4 of a bitcoin at the time of the refund. So, how does it make bitcoin a currency. ITS NOT!

What do you think?

Putting it that way... it got me confused for a moment. But when you think of it, we only need to deconstruct your own post. If it wasn't a currency why the hell would the seller even accept bitcoin for that purchase?? Simply because bitcoin its currency as well as it is a payment system. So it's more as a commodity that has all the features to be a currency as well as a payment system. You could even think the same about gold!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2015, 12:32:05 PM

If the volatility would be a criteria to make bitcoin NOT a currency then where is the threshold? Every currency is volatile. Some more some less. So making a threshold there would be fully arbitrary.

Bitcoin clearly is a currency.

I once discussed with someone who claimed currencies only are currencies when they are backed by a state. Roll Eyes

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: