Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:23:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTC-GLOBAL] LTC-ATF  (Read 25386 times)
Deprived (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 10:49:22 PM

The person selling the bonds back to Deprived and the fund was me.

I am very grateful he made himself available quickly, and made good on fulfilling their value with no hiccups whatsoever.

This enabled me to sell the BTC at market rate and buy during the dip to 51 last night, just as planned.

As I told Deprived, his assets are probably my favorite in all of cryptocoin investing, and I WILL be back for more. I just wanted to have as much loose btc as possible to play against the current volatility.

Thanks for confirming it wasn't me (not that it would have mattered even if it was me - I can sell mine back same as anyone else).  Would have maybe preferred if you hadn't as it's always amusing to read usagi's deluded accusations when I'm a bit bored.

You got back into BTC better than me.  Other than the 35 BTC I used to buy your bonds (which was my hedge against the chance BTC would just rise straight up fast) I only got in at about 58 (was out when the bottom was hit).  Sold at 74 then got back in at 64.  Looking like might be time to sell again soon.

To be clear: the BTC trading I refer to above has nothing to do with the fund - I don't do currency-trading on BTC/USD for the fund (fund never holds USD other than for a second when I do the occasional manual arbitrage on BTC-E  - but haven't done that for ages as too many bots doing it now).
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 11:43:08 PM

Wow, deprived is so mad he's trolling the securities forum saying I am a liar. Deprived, you're pathetic. Why don't you go fix your own problems in your own security before you launch random, off-topic threads in the securities forum?
usagi
VIP

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:26:16 AM

READ THE FUCKING CONTRACT.

No, YOU read the fucking contract, and stop wasting my time.

I'm assuming if I posted in your silver thread explaining how what you do doesn't match the contract my post would just get moderated.

Try me. I will allow your bullshit ONCE, where it will be ANSWERED.

The reason I made a moderated thread is precisely because I am not going to tolerate your bullshit anymore. You are the type of idiotic, hypocritical liar that demands I release my books despite them being public for months and updated daily -- while at the same time refusing to release your own books. And, trying to stick it to me by stealing (yes, stealing) access to my own company's records and posting them in full knowledge it was against company policy.

The truth is you wouldn't DARE post an accusation in a moderated thread because you know you are full of shit.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 12:37:04 AM

The truth is you wouldn't DARE post an accusation in a moderated thread because you know you are full of shit.

The reason I don't post in moderated threads is ... wait for it .. because they're moderated and my effort is likely to be wasted by the post being deleted.  There's nothing brave about posting in a moderated thread to make it worthy of a dare.

Not sure what problem it is you think I have with my security BTW.  Sure - I didn't get back to the HWM last week - but so what?  We made a decent profit nearly getting back to where we were before LTC's massive rise vs BTC.  Which means same LTC value and a much higher BTC one.

NAV/U is still almost exactly same as at last report (down 0.01%) - despite LTC rising a fair bit.  So we've made 2% or so trading this week so far which has been wiped out by exchange-rate rise.  Nothing I can do about that - nor am I unhappy about it.  As the fund has explicit exposure to BTC of around 15% that sort of thing is inevitable.  There's nothing wrong, nothing broken and nothing to fix.
usagi
VIP

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:48:35 AM

The reason I don't post in moderated threads is ... wait for it .. because they're moderated and my effort is likely to be wasted by the post being deleted.  There's nothing brave about posting in a moderated thread to make it worthy of a dare.

Learn to read. I said I'd allow your accusations in my thread once, so they can be answered. It's the whole "I will pretend I can't read" BS that I won't allow (like what you just posted).

Not sure what problem it is you think I have with my security BTW.  Sure - silver didn't get back to the HWM we started with - but so what?  We made a decent profit nearly getting back to where we were before mtgoxusd's massive rise vs BTC.  Which means a much higher dollar value.

NAV/U is still almost exactly same as at last report (well, up 15%) - despite silver falling a fair bit.  So we've made 20% or so trading this week so far which will probably be paid out to shareholders with another massive distribution payment this friday. There's nothing wrong, nothing broken and nothing to fix.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 07:38:05 PM

WEEKLY REPORT

We had overall growth this week of 7.73% with the bulk of it (over 6%) from trading with the last 1.5% resulting from a small decline in LTC vs BTC.  That was sufficient to take us past our previous HWM and into new (price) territory.

We repurchased a few thousand bonds on request this week - but sold enough afterwards to get us back to around where we were at the start of the week.  At present my expectation is to sell more into orders up to around 180 BTC face-value total.  This is down slightly on what I'd expected to need in last week's report - as we've stopped trading a few securities.

Profits this week were boosted a bit (compared to where they'd otherwise have been) from some activity on S.DICE.  There was a bit of a panic about it mid-week when the domain for it appeared to expire.  Bets continued to be processed (the website isn't needed for that) and all seems well again with it.  A few people panic-sold very cheaply which we obviously took full advantage of.  This has left us with more cash on CoinBR than usual - which will be corrected this week.

Trading has become very slow in the latter half of the week - with BTC recovering (and dragging LTC up vs USD with it) there's been the usual slow-down of people investing in securities as they pile into the actual currencies.  I'm by no means convinced of the wisdom of that strategy but it definitely happens.

Management fee of 1 unit will be transferred shortly (much lower than would be usual for ~8% growth due to management fee only being paid on the excess over previous HWM).
Bid at : 64.0
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:39:43 PM

WEEKLY REPORT

This week we've made a small loss - a drop of about 4% in NAV/U.  That loss is entirely down to LTC rising by nearly 50% against BTC - without that rise we'd have made a 2-3% profit from trading (results spreadsheet will indicate a projection of 2%, in fact it was higher - the difference being because we ended the week with a higher percentage of LTC-denominated holdings than we had for most of the week).

Even without the exchange-rate movement it would have been a week with fairly modest growth by our historical standards.  There's a few reasons for this:

1.  Activity on LTC-Global has dropped right down, so profits there are now very slim.  This is likely to continue.  The reasons for that have been discussed elsewhere but for most are some combination of being denominated in BTC/USD and/or being a scam/badly mismanaged.
2.  Activity on all other exchanges seems to have been lower (exception being ASICMINER activity) - the uncertainty over BTC/USD rate is likely partially behind that (with people believing they're better off playing the exchange-rate than trading securities) with the lack of any GOOD recent new securities being the rest of the the explanation.
3.  My own activity was more sporadic than usual this last week due to RL commitments.
4.  As previously discussed, profit was likely to fall anyway (as a percentafe) with the higher LTC price - as BTC-denominated profit now has a much smaller impact.

The loss  this week - and the larger loss a few weeks back should be put into perspective.

The recent low for the LTC/BTC exchange rate (at the time when a report was produce for this fund) was .00232 on 24th Feb.  At that point our NAV/U (after management fee) was 50.9855.
The exchange-rate is now .032 and our NAV/U is 63.519

So in a 2 month period where LTC has grown to nearly FOURTEEN times the value against BTC we've still managed over 20% growth.  That's ACTUAL growth AFTER all management fees were deducted.  So the occasional small fall in NAV/U when LTC grows a lot in a week is absolutely not any reason to panic.

This week the next security for LTC-ATF will hopefully be released (subject to it gaining moderator approval of course).  I won't provide full details of it now however here's the bulletpoints for it in terms of how it affects LTC-ATF:

1.  It will a USD-denominated bond/fund (it'll be listed as a bond but is really somewhere between a bond and a fund, having a fixed face-value but a variable interest/dividend rate).
2.  LTC-ATF will have very little exposure as a result of it - only real exposure will be to very short-term spreads/moves in exchange-rates when converting funds (by very short-term I mean during the period it takes me to do conversion - so seconds/minutes).
3.  Little extra capital will be required to operate it - I already sold extra bonds yesterday to the level we're likely to need - and the capital to operate it can also be used for our other needs.  The main capital needed for it will be LTC - which we have a load of sitting idle anyway.

This security will mean we then offer LTC, BTC and USD denominated securities allowing investors to spread investment across all three without ever holding anything other than LTC.  It will also allow writing of options on the LTC/USD rate.

The security will be launched explicitly as being intended to be dual listed.  Once any kinks have been ironed out and all accounting/currency exchange systems fully tested then we will also list it on BTC.CO (and possibly later on Bitfunder as well).

I'd hoped to get the security up for moderator approval today - but got side-tracked in some RL activity and only recently got online for the first time today.  I hope (but can't commit) to getting it put up tomorrow.  In addition to the contract for it I also have to produce some fairly lengthy explanation of how it works in detail and why certain specific terms are in the contract.

My view is that no motion will be needed to operate this one - as it doesn't add any significant exposure to LTC-ATF or require any changes to any other part of the fund's contract.

Bid is at 62.
No management fee this week (and HWM remains unchanged - so no management fee until we pass the old HWM as usual).
usagi
VIP

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:55:16 AM

Questions relating our positions in LTC-ATF/LTC-ATF.B1.

One, you stated that you made a small loss of 4% versus an expected profit of 2-3% and that the loss was "entirely down to LTC rising by nearly 50% against BTC"(1). Yet your recent report 'b' (link) states that out of a total of ~573.2 BTC total holdings, 64.11% are denominated in LTC, and most of that in cash -- a total of 11.44% of total value held on BTC-E and 44.6% held on LTC-GLOBAL ('a', link). There's something wrong here. Since LTC rose by 50% against BTC, wouldn't that cause a much larger price swing than 7% of the fund? I can imagine that if the value of LTC swung by 50%, then that swing would account for a 64.11% * 50% change in NAV. Since, as you said, the price swing was the 'entirety' of the move. Can you please explain why your figures seem an order of magnitude off from your explanation of the cause?

Second, you state something very interesting in your report. You state that LTC-ATF profits are projected to be slim for reasons that "are some combination of being denominated in BTC/USD and/or being a scam/badly mismanaged."(2). I am curious. Do you actually have any evidence that something you are investing in is a scam? If so, two follow up questions -- one, why do you invest in scams? I'm willing to bet that you are referring to something like ZigGap which "turned out to be a scam". So maybe I should ask, "what are you doing to prevent investing in scams in the future"? The goal here is of course to quantify the amount of risk we need to attribute to poor management versus risk inherrent to cryptocoin investing as a whole.

Third question, minor question. You are on record stating that people shouldn't manage too many funds because it is confusing. You also state that your own RL committments have prevented you from doing the best job you can for your shareholders as the manager of LTC-ATF. You manage 5 securities already. Why bother introducing a sixth? Isn't that too much? If RL committments are already getting in your way, shouldn't you be working on closing down some of your funds instead of starting up a new project that you obviously won't have time to do a good job on?

Fourth and final. It seems from a cursory reading of all of your reports that you have never taken a serious management fee. This strikes me as suspicious, because it implies that the fund is unsustainable. I mean, it's nice that you are doing this as a hobby but what are your plans to "go live" so to speak, and start turning a profit with this? Put another way, how much money are you willing to personally lose over this before shutting down? If it's not profitable for you to run, this needs to be explicitly disclosed. I for one do not invest in LTC-ATF precisely because of this. I know people think you are trustworthy and you've done nothing to damage that view with LTC-ATF so far... but that is not enough in today's world of Ian Bakewell and Aethero(ZigGap). What assurances do we have that this isn't some kind of amateur joke fund, and that you're serious about it?

Thanks for answering my questions without swearing at me or accusing me of scamming. Full disclosure, I am a 12%+ holder in LTC-ATF.B1 (yes, even after the recent sale of 4,000 more bonds into the market).

(1)
This week we've made a small loss - a drop of about 4% in NAV/U.  That loss is entirely down to LTC rising by nearly 50% against BTC - without that rise we'd have made a 2-3% profit from trading (results spreadsheet will indicate a projection of 2%, in fact it was higher - the difference being because we ended the week with a higher percentage of LTC-denominated holdings than we had for most of the week).

(2)
1.  Activity on LTC-Global has dropped right down, so profits there are now very slim.  This is likely to continue.  The reasons for that have been discussed elsewhere but for most are some combination of being denominated in BTC/USD and/or being a scam/badly mismanaged.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:25:32 AM

Questions relating our positions in LTC-ATF/LTC-ATF.B1.

One, you stated that you made a small loss of 4% versus an expected profit of 2-3% and that the loss was "entirely down to LTC rising by nearly 50% against BTC"(1). Yet your recent report 'b' (link) states that out of a total of ~573.2 BTC total holdings, 64.11% are denominated in LTC, and most of that in cash -- a total of 11.44% of total value held on BTC-E and 44.6% held on LTC-GLOBAL ('a', link). There's something wrong here. Since LTC rose by 50% against BTC, wouldn't that cause a much larger price swing than 7% of the fund? I can imagine that if the value of LTC swung by 50%, then that swing would account for a 64.11% * 50% change in NAV. Since, as you said, the price swing was the 'entirety' of the move. Can you please explain why your figures seem an order of magnitude off from your explanation of the cause?

Sure - what you're missing here is the impact of the bonds.

In addition to our HOLDINGS in BTC we also have a LIABILITY that's denominated in BTC - the bonds.  When LTC rises it DOES reduce the value of our holdings in line with what you suggested - however a very large part of that is cancelled out by a corresponding reduction in the LTC value of our liability in respect of the bonds.

If you want to estimate the impact exchange-rate moves will have on the fund's value then the value you need to look at is NOT BTC denominated holdings but rather (BTC-denominated holdings - BTC-denominated liabilities).  That's one of the major purposes the bonds serve - allowing us to have significant BTC holdings whilst our exposure to exchange-rate movement is only limited to the excess of those holdings over the value of bonds we have issued.  The percentage of NET assets which are BTC denominated is given towards the bottom of the spreadsheet and is always in the 15% area.  Be careful when estimating the impact of exchange-rates - as that percentage is maintained as the rate moves, so you can't just estimate it based on starting percent (I have bids and asks up that keep it near 15% even if I'm offline - unless it moves a LONG way).

Some of your questions in the bonds thread were based on you not understanding the above by the way.

Second, you state something very interesting in your report. You state that LTC-ATF profits are projected to be slim for reasons that "are some combination of being denominated in BTC/USD and/or being a scam/badly mismanaged."(2). I am curious. Do you actually have any evidence that something you are investing in is a scam? If so, two follow up questions -- one, why do you invest in scams? I'm willing to bet that you are referring to something like ZigGap which "turned out to be a scam". So maybe I should ask, "what are you doing to prevent investing in scams in the future"? The goal here is of course to quantify the amount of risk we need to attribute to poor management versus risk inherrent to cryptocoin investing as a whole.

As far as the LTC-Global scams are concerned (I was referring specifically to on LTC-GLobal in the quote) there's about 5 scam assets still in the main market.  The recent ones being moo.cow mining and LHPOOL (LHPOOL is run by a liar/scammer who has taken over moo.cow from a different liar/scammer).  My projection of this reducing profits isn't because we hold a lot of them (we hold zero of both) but because whenever an asset becomes a scam on LTC-GLobal it means one less security I can day-trade.  As we have a mountain of unused LTC on LTC-Global this reduces profits in a way which doesn't happen on the other exchanges (where we have other options to use the funds on).  This is a particular issue given that the price of most LTC-Global assets has fallen sharply (LTC-ATF being about the ONLY asset with a higher value than a month or two back) - and so the amount of LTC we use in trading there has dropped anyway.

We hold shares at present in precisely one security that I believe to be a scam (in fact I'm 100% sure it is).  Those shares were purchased for a tiny amount each (total spent on them was under 0.1 BTC) have been written down to zero for weeks and still occasionally sell for 10-15 times what I paid for them (some sold in the last week).  Obviosuly it's not in the interests of my investors for me to identify which security that is - as by doing so I may deter potential purchasers if they read here Smiley

There's a second 'dead' security we hold a position in - which I don't mind revealing.  BTC-MINING on btc-co (Namworld's security).  We hold a single share of that, sold to us at .007 (maybe different number of 0s - not worth checking).  SHortly after that was sold to us in the last week, the security was locked by Namworld vs trading.  That's the mining fund that lent nearly all of its cash to a scammer.  Reason I had a decent sized buy up on that was that it still had 15 BTC cash left - and I was bidding at a price that meant just that 15 BTC cash (even assigning 0% to recovery of anything else) would give a profit.  Unfortunately he locked it for trading right after it got sold down to our order.

On scams in general I DO on occasion trade in things I'm absolutely certain are scams - the most obvious example that's on the record in this thread being OBSI shares AFTER he'd defaulted (we actually had some when GLBSE closed).  I was flipping those at a 100% profit each time simply because although I knew it was a scam there were a bunch of people who refused to accept it.  In addition, in that case, there was a significant chance that (if GLBSE hadn't closed) the shares could have increased significantly in value anyway - depending on just how Obsi was planning to play the scam out.  So, put simply, my assessment was that despite it being a scam trading it was +EV - which proved to be the case as we made more profit trading it in the few days before GLBSE closed than we lost by writing off the shares we held.

Similarly with ZIGGAP.  If you look at the thread on it you'll see that I called it as a scam as soon as he sold his shares off cheap.  At that stage I also marked our own shares down significantly.  But I also then went and bought a LOT more cheaply - i mean 7 digits more shares (1 million or more - can't remember exactly how many but it was well over a million for a few hundred satoshi each).  Because although I knew it was a scam I also knew there'd be plenty of idiots who didn't see it - and whose idea of buying some cheap was to pay 2-3 times what I paid.  I sold all those at a nice profit (some at 20 times what I paid for them) which more than made up for the loss we made writing down the ones we originally held.

I actually PREFER trading something I KNOW is a scam than something I only SUSPECT is a scam - as it's much easier for me to price it properly (it has zero inherent value - I just have to estimate how many idiots there are who will pay too much for it).

As far as detecting scams is concerned I have no magic ability.  The main thing I look at isn't what they say when discussing their security - it's what they don't say.  Few will brazenly lie about things  - it's the omissions that are where you look to find the problems.  The other key I look for is "do I have sufficient information to value the security if I believe everything I've been told."  If I can't possibly properly value it - even if I believe every word they've said - then I tend NOT to believe what they've said.  The reason is that being able to value the security is something a prospective investor NEEDS to be able to do.  If they don't provide information sufficient to do that (and I ONLY mean provide - I don't mean prove) then either they have a very basic failure to understand the needs of investors OR they're intentionally hiding something.  WHilst I still can't distinguish whether they've crooked or incompetent I CAN be sure that they aren't a safe investment - which means being more cautious when trading them (buy lower, don't buy so many).

If I only traded "good" investments then LTC-ATF couldn't exist - there aren't enough good investments (by which I mean ones I'm 90%+ sure will perform better than just holding BTC/LTC) to run a diversified portfolio.  The lack of good investments is compensated for by the lack of good investors - LTC-ATF makes nearly all its profit from investors, not securities.  Which gets back to the original point - I can trade scams because there's idiots who will NOT accept they're scams until the asset issuer actually posts saying so.

Third question, minor question. You are on record stating that people shouldn't manage too many funds because it is confusing. You also state that your own RL committments have prevented you from doing the best job you can for your shareholders as the manager of LTC-ATF. You manage 5 securities already. Why bother introducing a sixth? Isn't that too much? If RL committments are already getting in your way, shouldn't you be working on closing down some of your funds instead of starting up a new project that you obviously won't have time to do a good job on?

Put simply there's a difference between not doing my "best job" and not doing "a good job".  To do my absolute best job I would have to do this full-time - ANY level of commitment lower than that won't be my "best".  Best and Good are two very different things.

My RL work is such that MOST weeks it takes very little of my time.  Occasionally (maybe once every few months) there'll be a period of a few days to a week when it consumes a lot of my time - last week was one such week.  We still made a 2-3% trading profit (remember the loss from exchange-rate would happen whether I was around or not) - which I think most securities out there would happily take.

Judging my performance on one week - when over 6 months of data is available isn't, I'd suggest, a good way to approach things.  Nothing has changed in my work situation over that period - you'll find other weeks in the past where I've mentioned having less time than usual.  That will continue to happen occasionally.  I don't think there's ever been two days in a row where I haven't been able to spend a few hours online - all that being busy means is that I can't be around to maintain orders when out-bid and so lose out on traded volume.

You also seriously over-estimate the work required on most of the assets.

LTC-ATF.B1 - takes a 10 second check every now and again for any bids/asks to fill (bids only early in the week and IF I'm selling) then a minute to execute orders and convert currency if necessary.   And 5 minutes once a week to calculate and pay dividends (the calcualtion is done in my spreadsheet anyway).

The 3 pass-throughs : Similar to LTC-ATF.B1 other than dividends being monthly.  When I'm around and the LTC price is fairly stable I also place Asks - if I'm not around then we only lose profit, we don't make a loss.

LTC-ATF itself is the only one that takes any real effort at all - all the others I have spreadsheet sections that give me all information I need to manage them with minimal time.  If I closed ALL the other assets then (aside from closing the bonds making running LTC-ATF impossible without major changes in policy about exchange-rate exposure) I'd save at most 1-2 hours work per week (exception being if I have to respond to PMs/Posts about them).  They really ARE that trivial in terms of demand on my time.

The new security will need some up-front time from me (to get all relevant spreadsheets/reporting formats sorted) then will also be very low maintenance.

Fourth and final. It seems from a cursory reading of all of your reports that you have never taken a serious management fee. This strikes me as suspicious, because it implies that the fund is unsustainable. I mean, it's nice that you are doing this as a hobby but what are your plans to "go live" so to speak, and start turning a profit with this? Put another way, how much money are you willing to personally lose over this before shutting down? If it's not profitable for you to run, this needs to be explicitly disclosed. I for one do not invest in LTC-ATF precisely because of this. I know people think you are trustworthy and you've done nothing to damage that view with LTC-ATF so far... but that is not enough in today's world of Ian Bakewell and Aethero(ZigGap). What assurances do we have that this isn't some kind of amateur joke fund, and that you're serious about it?

You should really have done some math before posting that question.  Or maybe what you consider a serious management fee is rather different to what I'm happy with.

First - bear in mind I own over 50% of shares in LTC-ATF.  I'm also by far the largest bond-holder in LTC-ATF.B1 - with somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of all outstanding bonds.  So even without a management fee I do OK if the fund does well.

Second - bear in mind that each LTC-ATF unit worth 63 LTC.  At present that's about 2 BTC or $250.  So the 1 unit I got the week before last wasn't as bad as 1 unit sounds.

To look at what I've made financially you really need to compare what my units are worth now to what they were when the fund started.

I started off with 194 units of the fund worth 10 LTC each.
I now have 161 units and sold another 125 (I think - not gonna check if that's exact number) when LTC was at its peak.  For simplicty I'll value them all at 60 LTC.

In LTC:

Started with 1,940.  Ended with 17,160 - a profit of around 15220 LTC

In BTC:

Started with 6.71 (exchange-rate .00346) .  Ended with 549.12 (exchange-rate .032) - a profit of around 542 BTC

In USD:

Started with $38.54  (exchange-rate .041).  Ended with $69,841 (exchange rate 4.07) - a profit of around $69,800.

So you tell me - is that REALLY so bad that it isn't worthwhile?  I've never used ANY of my RL moey to buy LTC or BTC - all my crypto-holdings come from trading up from a few blocks of LTC I solo mined ages back.  They sat there untouched during the period whilst I wasn't active on the forums - then I traded then up on GLBSE and doing some currency trading, spent a chunk of them on listing the asset, invested most of the rest and what happened after that is in the table on the first page of this thread.

Part of the fun/challenge for me was seeing just how well I could do with those few LTC I mined (think it was about 200).  I'm happy with the start I've made.

Where are those profits I've made?  Well:

A bit over half of them are in the LTC-ATF units I still hold.
I also have a good bunch of LTC-ATF.B1.
I have $10k USD denominated online which will be going into the new security.
I took $10k offline for a different project (that may well end up being listed in 6 months or so - something entirely different and unrelated to my current assets).
I have a couple of loans out.
I have some BTC/LTC in various places doing various things (no trading of securities).

Now the 15k LTC / 540 BTC/ $69K profit I've personally made may be trivial to you - and pale in comparison to the profits YOU make, but I'm perfectly happy with it as a return for the effort I've put in over the last 6 months.

As for how much of it I'm willing to lose before shutting it down : that entirely depends on how you're defining those losses.

For example, if LTC were to double vs BTC/USD every week then every week the value of the fund (in LTC) would drop by 5-10%.  After maybe 10 weeks of that I'd likely call it quits, give up on LTC and cash out the remaining 50% of value for a few million USD and retire.  Because THAT's what's actually happeneing in these "losing" weeks - our LTC value is dropping slightly and the BTC/USD value rising massively.  I LOVE 'losing' weeks like that - I'd take those EVERY week if I could.  The weeks I dislike are the ones where LTC falls by a lot - even though that guarantees a decent growth in our share price.  An investment in LTC-ATF isn't just an investment in my trading skills - it's also an investment in LTC itself (which is NOT true for many other securities).  When LTC gets stronger that provides us with big benefits immediately - and I add some value whatever happens with it.

Do I have some stop-loss (in any of LTC/BTC/USD) where i'd call it quits?  No.  I have no money tied up in the fund that I need for anything else.  Obviously I'd prefer not to lose my investments - but if I do then it's not something I'd be losing sleep over.  I take seriously the "don't invest what you can't afford to lose" mantra - and if you look at my investments you'll find that I'm also actively trying to balance between LTC/BTC/USD. 

If I became convinced it was unprofitable (in the medium to long-term) to continue do what I'm doing then would I stop?  Yes - in an instant.  I believe in quitting whilst you're ahead - but ONLY when you become convinced you can't pull even further ahead.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:43:28 AM

If you (or anyone else) is still having problems understanding how the bonds work (in allowing us to invest heavily in BTC without all that much exposure to the exchange-rate) then I suggest you read the following thread.  It's my fairly detailed explanation of how that works made before the bonds were launched:

https://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,857.0.html

Hopefully that will clear it up - I DO appreciate it's a bit of a tricky concept to understand.  There's also some information in that thread which may help explain how the targets for exposure to BTC were set.

Do appreciate that BTC.CO didn't exist when that thread was posted - at that stage I assumed it would be called BTC-GLOBAL, which explains the references to that.

Do also note that there were some changes from when that post was made until when the bond actually launched - the most major one being that it was initially planned that the bond would be on BTC-GLOBAL (BTC.CO) when in the end we went with listing it on LTC-GLOBAL.  But the post still gives a solid explanation of the principle behind the bonds.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:22:15 PM

MOTION UP FOR VOTE

We don't often have motions - but it's time for one.  I'll explain below what the issue addressed by it is, what the motion is, the rationale behind its detail and what the alternatives are (and why they aren't suitable).

Motion is only up for a fairly short period of time.  As I hold majority of shares I can obviously pass any motions in the system.  As a majority share holder I do, of course, have a responsibility ot minority shareholders not to abuse that position and act against either their interests or that of the fund.  If anyone believes this motion is against either of those interests then please say so.

As usual I won't vote until fairly nearly the end of voting period.  If 10% or more of outstanding units vote against then I'll vote against and the motion won't pass : I won't pass ANY motion if there's any significant opposition to it.

As the motion period is short I'll be offering an above NAV/U buy-back for 2 weeks rather than the usual 1 week I do.  If the motion passes then buy orders will be placed at 2% or so ABOVE NAV/U.  I will then, for any shares sold back either (at my discretion):

A.  Buy the shares myself - reimbursing the fund the full payment it made.
B.  Reimburse the fund the amount paid over NAV/U-1%.

Option B is more likely - as it fits in better with the objective of this motion.  It may seem excessivey generous of me but:

1.  As I'm changing the contract on a fund any loss should be taken by me - as it was my responsibility to ensure the contract covered all contingencies in the first place (even though this is the result of cirumstances beyond my control - GLBSE closing - and a change in focus of the fund since).
2.  Even with option B. the percentage of the fund I own would increase - soon repaying the small cost to me (so long as we stay profitable of course).

Obviously if anyone else outbids the buy-backs then sales would go to them.

PURPOSE OF MOTION

As I've lamented plenty of times, the fund has an excess of idle LTC lieing around.  That's bad news for two primary reasons:

1.  It's horribly inefficient - we make exactly same profits as if we had less LTC capital but the percentage growth we achieve is reduced due to the profit being spread over more unit capital.
2.  I'm holding investors' funds for no useful purpose - you get counter-party risk from myself and the exchange with no benefit at all in return.

With the reason massive fall in the prices of most LTC-Global securities the problem has got worse - as we need less LTC to conduct our trade and so the totally unused LTC has grown.

I've held off on doing anything much about it - in part because I was unsure the rise in LTC would 'stick' : so wanted to avoid a situation where I reduced LTC capital, LTC then fell heavily and we had to immediately sell more units (so as to ensure bonds are properly backed).

This proposal tries to address the two points above whilst incurring very minimal drawbacks/risks.

THE MOTION

Below is the text of the motion being put up for voting:

A vote of Yes indicates support of this change, a vote of No indicates disapproval of the change.

It is proposed that the contract of LTC-ATF be amended, adding a section into the contract entitled "DIVIDENDS".  The text below is the proposed content of this section of the contract.

It is not LTC-ATF's policy to pay regular dividends - in general profits are retained increasing the value of units.

On occasion the fund may grow to a point where it is the manager's view that there is excess unused LTC-denominated capital which should be returned to investors.  In those circumstances the manager is entitled to pay a dividend provided ALL of the following points are met:

1.  The dividend shall be paid immediately after a weekly report (and the payment of any management fee units plus adjustment of the HWM if required).
2.  The dividend may not be so large that, after its payment, the ratio of LTC-ATF.B1 debt to fund NAV exceeds 100%.
3.  The HWM will be reduced by the amount dividended per unit.
4.  If any market Bids are up that would be above the new NAV/U post-dividend then manager will briefly suspend trading and clear orders so noone is sold to at a markup to NAV/U higher than they intended when they placed their Bids.
5.  No management fee may be taken on the dividend - though the manager WILL receive dividends on any units he holds the same as any other investor.

EXPLANATION OF MOTION

Hopefully the basics of the motion are clear - when we have a pile of surplus LTC it gets returned to investors rather than sit around idle in the fund's wallet.  Here's a brief explanation of the 4 points listed that have to be met when I make such a dividend:

1.  The timing immediately after a weekly report is the obvious time to do it.  That's when a full valuation is already posted.  It's done AFTER the allocation of any management fee - so the fee is paid at the old (high) NAV/U not the new (lower) one: avoiding the situation where a small dividend could be paid to increase the number of units taken as management fee.  This timing also means the dividend is paid at the start of the week - so the fund can issue more bonds if desired to rebalance currencies in response.

2.  The fund is constrained by contract to keep the ratio of bonds to NAV below 150%.  I've therefore set a limit of 100% post-dividend.  In practice I'd normally not go near that - aiming more for around 75% (75% - 100% is the ideal range to be in).

3.  Obvously HWM has to be reduced by the amount dividended.  If we've just set a new HWM and I dividend out 10 LTC per unit then there's no way I have to make 10 LTC profit per unit before getting a management fee again.

4.  This has to be done so people don't end up buying very expensive units when they'd not placed high bids.  An unfortunate side-effect is that all Asks would be cancelled too but there's no way around that.

5.  This is in there just to make it explicit that no extra management fee is taken for paying dividends.  I get my units (if any are due that week) as per the existing contract then the dividend is paid with no extra fee.

ALTERNATIVES

Here's a brief list of some of the alternatives to this route:

1.  Keep going as we are.  My view is that's a bad idea - now it looks like LTC is going to stay high (with MtGox confirming LTC listing) there's no justification for me sitting on idle funds that belong to investors.

2.  Invest the LTC in securities.  There's just not any LTC-denominated securities that give any sort of return or have a stable price.  LTC-GLobal is the best candidate - and that's at least 50% BTC-denominated in practice and may well have further to fall before settling into a new range.  Additionally, although the contract allows up to 25% of capital to be invested rather than traded that is NOT what the fund is about.  In practice I'll only be using that opyion where I see a medium-term investment opportunity and have no intention of using part of the capital to run an investment fund.

3.  Buy back units.  I already did this previously - or the problem would be much worse.  Some investors sold back shares and I sold back a chunk of mine as well.  I'm not willing to sell back many more of mine unless others sell back too - and noone else seems to want to sell.  And why should they?  There's no reason why only SOME investors should bear the brunt of reducing excess LTC-denominated capital (reducing their own percentage held in the process) when there's a perfectly good mechanism to spread the refund evenly.

4.  Offer secured loans.  This was a suggestion I put up a month of two ago - which received little feedback.  I've abandoned this idea in general.  The proposal was that loans would be made secured on securities listed on LTC-Global.  As recent events have shown there's pretty much ZERO securities on LTC-GLobal that can be relied on to keep most of their value in a steep LTC rise - the only real exception to that being LTC-ATF itself.  I'd consider offering loans secured on LTC-ATF units - but doubt there'd be too much interest in it.  And loans are likely to take up far more time that the small profit they make warrants.

If anyone has any great alternative suggestions then by all means put them forward - even if this motion passes I'd still be very happy to hear any profitable uses for idle LTC as I expect it to be a recurring problem for us.

WHAT NEXT?

If the motion passes then I'd be making the first dividend payment on Sunday after producing the weekly report.  I'd anticipate it being for either 15 or 20 LTC per unit.  We'd still only have a bonds to NAV ratio of around 40-60% afterwards (depending where exchange-rate is and which of the two I do).  The only minor impact it might have is that for a while I'd only be placing bids up for 50 LTC-ATF at a time instead of 100 - but the contract only demands 5% anyway which is less than 20.

It would also theoretically increase the risk of needing to sell new units - but for that to happen the LTC/BTC exchange-rate would have to drop well under 0.01 which seems very unlikely to me in the short-term (longer term it's entirely possible - but by then hopefully we'll have grown more again anyway).

All feedback etc welcome.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:15:03 PM

I'm a small shareholder at the moment, but I just want to say two things:

1. I support the motion, but I'd also be open to finding new ways for you use that LTC to invest and make profit for the fund. The fact is you are good at this, and that's the true waste in sitting on that LTC.
2. I do not support any loaning of assets.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:16:57 PM

1. I support the motion, but I'd also be open to finding new ways for you use that LTC to invest and make profit for the fund. The fact is you are good at this, and that's the true waste in sitting on that LTC.

I've racked my brain repeatedly trying to find ways to use the spare LTC - and there's really no LTC-denominated uses for it.  There's still a fair few securities on LTC-Global that can be profitably traded but the trade volume is too low to use more than we already utilise.  Any use for them has to be LTC-denominated (in practice not just by some vague definition), has to be clearly profitable and has to provide decent liquidity.  Not much meets all those criteria.

On loans the proposal wasn't to loan assets but to loan actual LTC - secured against securities held by the borrowers (which would be held in accounts under my control until the loans were repaid).  But there's really no securities on LTC-Global that are reliable AND can maintain a pretty steady price when LTC sky-rockets (as nearly all are largely or entirely denominated in BTC/USD for all practical purposes).  Only asset I could fairly safely conisder taking as collateral would be LTC-ATF itself (and doubt many of our investors need or want loans anyway).  Without collateral there's no way I'd want to loan out any of our cash - it's just not worth the risk it for the fairly small returns.  Hence the loan idea pretty much getting scrapped (I'd consider raising the idea again it if someone holding a significant number of LTC-ATF units requested a loan to be secured against them).
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:59:54 PM

I've racked my brain repeatedly trying to find ways to use the spare LTC - and there's really no LTC-denominated uses for it.  There's still a fair few securities on LTC-Global that can be profitably traded but the trade volume is too low to use more than we already utilise.  Any use for them has to be LTC-denominated (in practice not just by some vague definition), has to be clearly profitable and has to provide decent liquidity.  Not much meets all those criteria.

On loans the proposal wasn't to loan assets but to loan actual LTC - secured against securities held by the borrowers (which would be held in accounts under my control until the loans were repaid).  But there's really no securities on LTC-Global that are reliable AND can maintain a pretty steady price when LTC sky-rockets (as nearly all are largely or entirely denominated in BTC/USD for all practical purposes).  Only asset I could fairly safely conisder taking as collateral would be LTC-ATF itself (and doubt many of our investors need or want loans anyway).  Without collateral there's no way I'd want to loan out any of our cash - it's just not worth the risk it for the fairly small returns.  Hence the loan idea pretty much getting scrapped (I'd consider raising the idea again it if someone holding a significant number of LTC-ATF units requested a loan to be secured against them).

Apologies, I was using the term "assets" loosely to mean the LTC being sat on too. I just don't like loans is all. I see the quandary, and I think it points to a larger problem with LTC not serving much of a purpose without BTC to lean on.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:56:06 AM

Apologies, I was using the term "assets" loosely to mean the LTC being sat on too. I just don't like loans is all. I see the quandary, and I think it points to a larger problem with LTC not serving much of a purpose without BTC to lean on.

Exactly the same problem exists with BTC too - just it leans on USD.  Majority of BTC securities have large USD components (mining being the most obvious where usually they're effectively denominated in USD.  Right now that isn't the case - but only because of the short-term shortage of USD-priced ASICs).

The only LTC/BTC assets that are 'pure' are gambling ones and ones that don't hold or sell physical assets (e.g. currency/security exchanges, trading funds).  That's not going to change in the near future for LTC or BTC - which is a problem where the currencies tend over the long-term to appreciate in value significantly (it makes investing a loss-making proposition).

Even ASICMINER is largely USD-denominated - its edge over other mining investments isn't that it's somehow 'pure' it's that ASICMINER is positioned to deliver growth/profits that probably CAN beat the rise in value of BTC and so deliver BTC-denominated profit.  Give it 6 months and just about ALL mining investments will be back to being losers - as has been the case in the past.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:25:17 PM

Exchange-rate : .03108
NAV/U : 44.545

Bid at : 45.55 (2% over NAV/U - if anyone sells into the order I'll either buy the units myself at the full price paid or personally refund the extra 1 LTC/unit to the fund).

I took 2.5k more LTC-ATF.B1 bonds myself at 1% over face (did it via market) and traded LTC to the fund for BTC on BTC-E.  That rebalanced the fund's currencies without any cost.  The very small reduction in NAV/U below 20 LTC under old NAV/U is because LTC has risen slightly vs BTC since the report was posted.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:06:24 AM

WEEKLY REPORT

The spreadsheet below represents the holdings (and exchange-rate) as of Sunday evening - when I usually produce reports.  I was tempted not to do one this week gaving failed to post it on Sunday (by contract I only need to produce them every 2 weeks anyway) but have decided to post it late - so as to make my results spreadsheet nice and easy (with each row representing 1 week).

Will post a current NAV/U in a seperate post afterwards.

Results were slightly better this week than last - taking us almost back to the previous HWM.  In part that was due to LTC falling vs BTC, with the remainder down to a bit better trading performance (actual trading profits were similar - but with a smaller capital base it represents a larger percentage growth).

Our new security is now up - it's not quite ready for moderator approval (it needs admin unlock first and I also need to make a forum post for it explaining some of the contract detail).  At present it's essentially a USD-denominated fund that will loan to margin traders on BitFinex.  The contract is, however, written to allow addition of additional USD-denominated investments as/when suitable ones are found.  The contract is also written to allow dual-listing on multiple exchanges (BTC.CO being the next) - allowing one pool of capital to be split between IPOs on different exchanges.

The security has very low risk for LTC-ATF.  The funds belonging to the new asset will be segregated in a seperate account and are NOT guaranteed nor do they have any claim on LTC-ATF's other assets.  The only risk for LTC-ATF is brief exposure to exchange-rates.  That exposure is VERY brief - for the period of time between USD being transferred between wallets on BitFinex until a sell order into BTC is processed (also on Bitfinex).  LTC-ATF will get 10% of profits made - with the main contribution LTC-ATF makes being provision of rapid currency movement between BTC and LTC (LTC-ATF can provide that as it already has cash sitting on BTC-E).  That removes/reduces the new security's exposure to exchange-rates (which would otherwise be high - due to withdrawals from LTC-Global AND BitFinex being manual and slow) whilst using capital that we already have (the cash we have on BTC-E serves to fill any sudden needs and to allow rebalancing of our funds as the exchange-rate moves).

At present the 150 LTC for registering the new security is listed as a ticker asset (as we did with the pass-throughs) but I anticipate that being refunded (we've been running profitably for over 6 months which allows us free listings).

In the morning I'll go over the contract again to check for typos etc (something I didn't actually bother doing on the other contracts - which shows) then get a forum thread up and see about getting it unlocked for moderator approval.  If you have questions about the contract I'd suggest hanging on until I've made the thread - some bits of the contract may not make too much sense without an explanation (it's hopefully obvious what the contract says - but maybe not so clear why I've written specific terms in).

With LTC slowly falling vs BTC at the moment I'm not going to make another dividend payment yet (if it stops falling for a while - or we make significant profits - then I'd be looking at dividending out a further 10 LTC per share).  I'm also going to stop selling bonds at the 250 BTC mark.  My intention, once it's confirmed we're entitled to free listings, is to launch a new bond on BTC.CO at a LOWER rate of interest and issue further/replacement bonds there if needed.  Without the listing fee, BTC.CO would work better for the bonds - I could leave up bids/asks for one thing - and if we can cut the rate a bit then even better (I'd be looking at 0.05% per day - if the bonds were on BTC.CO I could schedule dividends in advance which I can't do on LTC-Global due to having to take exchange-rate into account).  I would NOT be looking to do a forced recall on the current bond - that would be acting in bad faith (especially to anyoe who bought at over face value), so those would stay outstanding until they were sold back at face-value.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:26:01 AM

Just to update with current values:

Exchange-rate .0265 (it's a bit volatile right now but in that area)
Adjusted NAV/U : 46.423 (adjusted as we're back over the old HWM)

Bid at : 47.35 (still 2% over NAV/U due to buyback offer following contract change)
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:22:32 PM

WEEKLY REPORT

Another week of small growth has passed (2.38% growth - with an estimated 1.42% being from trading and remainder from a small drop in the LTC/BTC exchange-rate).  OP of the thread has been updated with all results to date (I only update that every few weeks).

NEW SECURITY - LTC-ATF.BFIN

The contract for this is now up - however I haven't completed the thread for it or unlocked it for moderator approval.  The reason for this is primarily that there are some question-marks over the current status of MtGox.  The security is intended to be a USD-denominated security initially investing solely in loans for margin-trading on Bitfinex.  Bitfinex hold significant reserves on MtGox - and I'm not comfortable releasing the security until I have confidence investors face no significant immediate risk resulting from exposure to MtGox.

In addition to the above, Bitfinex have recently (in the past week) announced that they will be supporting LTC.  That's great news for us (aside from the benefit to LTC in general it potentially makes moving funds in and out of their cheaper) but will require some minor amendments to the contract.  I'm holding off on those changes to see whether they're adding BTC/LTC and/or LTC/USD trading.

Hopefully we'll be able to proceed with launch this week - but no promises on that.

S.DICE

You may have noticed that we hold a significant quantity of S.DICE - and at a significantly lower price each than last week.  I trade regularly trade S.DICE - with buy orders up to catch sells from the regular panic sells/in desperate need of cash people.  Those happen every month - usually in the middle of the month.  This month there was actually a good reason for selling (though not necessarily at the prices sold at) - S.DICE are making a token effort to prevent US customers using their service.   It's only a token effort (those with US IP addresses can't bet via their website) and won't stop anyone who wants to bet (they can bet directly by sending to a BTC address as before).  It will, however, reduce volume somewhat by deterring (very) casual bettors.

The value in the spreadsheet reflects current market trading range - my expectation is that will rise slightly from there but I have to value based on the market not on my own guesses.  I'm not, however, looking to panic sell those shares.

ODDS AND ENDS

Bid at 46 (the buy-back at 2% over NAV/U has ended - noone sold back)
No management fee this week - we're back over the previous HWM but not by enough for me to claim a unit.
Deprived (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:00:19 PM

WEEKLY REPORT

4.68% growth this week (before management fee) with an estimated 3.28% from trading and the remainder from the continued slow fall in the price of LTC vs BTC.

Bitfinex have now introduced LTC/BTC and LTC/USD trading - as indicated last week.  At present volume is very slim there, but I've moved some funds over to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities with the BTC-E books.  Once our new security gets going we'll be moving funds in and out of there anyway.  I'm still waiting for the MtGox situation to clear up before launching the security - but it looks as though they may have pretty much pulled out of using Gox completely (which is the safest solution).

We now have 250 BTC worth of LTC-ATF.B1 bonds issued - which is where we'll be stopping.  When next we need more funds I'll be looking to raise them via a new bond on BTC.CO - on which we'll offer a lower rate of interest.  We can't lower the rate on LTC-ATF.B1 and launching a second bond on LTC-Global would be confusing - so that's our best way forward to reduce the cost of further capital.  We don't NEED to reduce the cost of capital but there's absolutely no point in paying more than we have to.

Our S.DICE holdings are still high - but don't misread that as meaning that we just sat on them.  We sold most of our surplus from last week (all at over .0023) and now have new stock of them (bought for less of course).

Management fee of 1 unit this week (rounded down from 1.27) which will be transferred after posting this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: