Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:21:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety awareness of bitcoin users  (Read 3631 times)
jople2004 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:43:39 AM

Can you share some preliminary results yet? Would be very interesting to see!

Also nice to know if older users use different wallets etc.

I am afraid there is not enough data yet, to make any conclusions...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:41:53 PM

Can you share some preliminary results yet? Would be very interesting to see!

Also nice to know if older users use different wallets etc.

I am afraid there is not enough data yet, to make any conclusions...

How many respondents do you have at this moment? How many respondents do you think you need to be able to generalize the results?

You should take care of the validity of your research though; I'm not sure where you are collecting the respondents, but if all your data comes from Bitcointalk.org users, this has negative effects on your validity. (I can imagine that Bitcointalk.org members for example use their PC quite often and therefore have software wallets (and know how to use USB-sticks for back ups etcetera. There might also be people with less knowledge of PC's which only have a hardware wallet or a mobile Phone to make use of their bitcoins. The latter group is not yet involved in your research).

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
jople2004 (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:03:36 PM

How many respondents do you have at this moment? How many respondents do you think you need to be able to generalize the results?

You should take care of the validity of your research though; I'm not sure where you are collecting the respondents, but if all your data comes from Bitcointalk.org users, this has negative effects on your validity. (I can imagine that Bitcointalk.org members for example use their PC quite often and therefore have software wallets (and know how to use USB-sticks for back ups etcetera. There might also be people with less knowledge of PC's which only have a hardware wallet or a mobile Phone to make use of their bitcoins. The latter group is not yet involved in your research).

I have about 70 completely finished surveys (although about 200 respondents started the survey, they didn't answer all the questions), but I want at the very least 100 respondents. I have this survey on various bitcoin forums so validity isn't the problem.

And btw... mobile wallets are still software wallets Smiley
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

I have about 70 completely finished surveys (although about 200 respondents started the survey, they didn't answer all the questions), but I want at the very least 100 respondents. I have this survey on various bitcoin forums so validity isn't the problem.

And btw... mobile wallets are still software wallets Smiley

Alright, thanks for your reply. Mobile wallets was just an example. Maybe hardware wallets was a better example.

As you still only involve people on forums, my point still lasts concerning your validity. I'm not here to complain, but I only want to help as I've been there too. I'm not sure how strict they are at the Faculty of Criminal Justice and Security - University of Maribor in Slovenia, but I can imagine that you get some questions regarding the validity.

70 Respondents is already quite nice indeed. Too bad you have so many people not answering the questions. The amount of respondents you mention (200) is really a lot, I guess there has to be a reason for that. (For your interest, in previous surveys I had to do for my study years ago, 10% of all the respondents not completing the survey was already a lot, although I've used other methods to promote the survey).

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:39:23 PM

ok, i filled it out, hope you get the data you need.

one thing though, since you are studying criminal justice, you should consider this;

you should mention something about ponzis and other fraudulent investments. many lose btc to these, and due to the unregulated nature of the btc network, this may continue to be a threat for a long time. I realize people lose fiat the same way all the time, but the relative anonymity and irreversibility of btc transactions make these scams particularly attractive when done using btc. Its a HUGE security concern, just like in the old fashioned fiat world... maybe worse here in btc-land
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:40:33 PM

one thing though, since you are studying criminal justice, you should consider this;

you should mention something about ponzis and other fraudulent investments. many lose btc to these, and due to the unregulated nature of the btc network, this may continue to be a threat for a long time. I realize people lose fiat the same way all the time, but the relative anonymity and irreversibility of btc transactions make these scams particularly attractive when done using btc. Its a HUGE security concern, just like in the old fashioned fiat world... maybe worse here in btc-land

People will have to learn to take care of their own money. I guess businesses will arise where they act as something to count on in case of a scam, like an insurance policy against scams or something along the lines.
jople2004 (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:55:41 PM

Yes, I've got a whole section on criminal activity in the theoretical part of my study...
Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:01:03 PM

are you done with your paper, did you get a good result? or did the teacher whoop your arse at the exam? I participated in the poll some time ago, answered every single question, there was a lot of them.
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:02:27 PM

It was a great survey, I would love to see the results. Multiple options would have also helped in some cases but you should get a accurate result from these questions. And I wish you best of luck Smiley
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:12:17 PM

Done!  Grin Great survey, quick and simple.

Will really like to see the result.

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

Just completed the survey! Hope that helps Grin

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 01:39:47 AM

Best of luck with your survey, looks like you are gathering some good information Smiley

robertgoss

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 02:42:15 AM

wow its nice of you to pick bitcoin as a part of your thesis Smiley will take that survey
juankburke

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 03:05:30 AM

nice survey .. havnt done it yet but i will later .. i would suggest you add more questions from this thread which other users suggest would make it even better Smiley
jople2004 (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:17:20 AM

It was a great survey, I would love to see the results. Multiple options would have also helped in some cases but you should get a accurate result from these questions. And I wish you best of luck Smiley
Done!  Grin Great survey, quick and simple.

Will really like to see the result.
Just completed the survey! Hope that helps Grin
Best of luck with your survey, looks like you are gathering some good information Smiley
wow its nice of you to pick bitcoin as a part of your thesis Smiley will take that survey

Thanks guys Smiley
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 12:05:44 PM

Done, it was an interesting survey to do Smiley
And yeah the question 'What kind of wallet do you use" should have had the option to choose multiple answers.

jople2004 (OP)

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 06:57:24 PM

And yeah the question 'What kind of wallet do you use" should have had the option to choose multiple answers.

Indeed, but I can't make any changes now...
project_aLice

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

No Risk No Fun

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 12:18:51 AM

why not? do you get some problems about setting? or any cases?

I think if you don't correct it right now, your survey will not be perfect at all, or are you going to make another survey for that question?

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
jople2004 (OP)

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:06:08 PM

why not? do you get some problems about setting? or any cases?

I think if you don't correct it right now, your survey will not be perfect at all, or are you going to make another survey for that question?

You can't just make changes on the fly, that would render all the collected data useless...
eyeknock

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:12:30 PM

you get one more fill from me Wink, some of the questions are really attractive, btw i would like to ask you if you are going to show us the result when you finish or not, im just curious about it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: