Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:11:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dash a better alternative to Bitcoin?  (Read 23610 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:00:41 PM

Appearently we have conflicting views on the matter, we have Dash's view on the matter which is explained in great detail and accepted by the Dash community
(who are the one's actually financially involved with this cryptocurrency) and we have the view on this matter by one of many Dash's competitors.
I will leave it with that  Roll Eyes

That's actually quite fair, though I'd note there are certainly people with the 'outside' perspective who are not Dash competitors. While both of the above cited quoted are from me (which I used because I am more familiar with my own writings and I find them to be of high quality), there are numerous other threads, posts, and poll results where it is unlikely those expressing a negative view on the instamine are direct competitors. Especially because some of those critical threads and posts pre-date any of Dash's currently-active direct competitors!

Anyway, thank you for the respectful discussion, I think both perspectives have gotten a fair presentation here.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:02:24 PM

Appearently we have conflicting views on the matter, we have Dash's view on the matter which is explained in great detail and accepted by the Dash community
(who are the one's actually financially involved with this cryptocurrency) and we have the view on this matter by one of many Dash's competitors.
I will leave it with that  Roll Eyes

That's actually quite fair, though I'd note there are certainly people with the 'outside' perspective who are not Dash competitors. Both of the above cited quoted are from me (which I used because I am more familiar with my own writings and I find them to be of high quality) there are numerous other threads, posts, and poll results where it is unlikely those expressing a negative view on the instamine are direct competitors. Especially because some of those critical threads, and posts pre-date any of Dash's currently-active direct competitors!

Anyway, thank you for the respectful discussion, I think both perspectives have gotten a fair presentation here.

i agree, and i'm all for respectfull discussions.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
DrkLvr_

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:17:24 PM

Such obsession with the instamine while Dash has moved on and so have their users.

Are you speaking for yourself here or on behalf of others? Have you received confirmation from each individual Dash user that allows you to make this blanket statement?

Is there a dialog box when you download the Dash wallet explaining Dash was instamined and you must agree that you've moved on in order to continue the installation?

Please.. the instamine isn't even mentioned on the Dash ANN thread.

"direct competitor of bitcoin" -  Roll Eyes
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 09:32:38 PM

Dash has a far more important forum in use where it does get mentioned, is pinned at the very top
and is currently viewed 12028 times ...
See post #102

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
DrkLvr_

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:05:49 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2015, 11:11:31 PM by DrkLvr_

Please if you can respond to my entire post and not just selective statements?

Are you speaking for yourself here or on behalf of others? Have you received confirmation from each individual Dash user that allows you to make this blanket statement?

Is there a dialog box when you download the Dash wallet explaining Dash was instamined and you must agree that you've moved on in order to continue the installation?

Dash has a far more important forum in use where it does get mentioned, is pinned at the very top
See post #102

You say it is mentioned on "a far more important forum" - what metrics are you using to determine its importance? This other forum has a fraction of the members, posts and views than Bitcointalk.

I'm also not clear what specifically is preventing you from also mentioning it on the Bitcointalk forum as well. Why is it only mentioned on one forum? (the less popular one)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:12:43 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2015, 10:24:22 PM by TPTB_need_war

Is Dash even an alternative to Bitcoin?

The title of the thread seems presumptuous. Last time I checked, I can't use Dash on localbitcoins to get cash out into my local bank account, etc.. Dash isn't even close to being any generally applicable alternative to Bitcoin. Of the merchants who accept Bitcoin, my guess is less than 1/10 of 1% of them accept Dash.

If the thread was titled "Will Dash Evolution offer some technical advantages over Bitcoin?" or specified some limited scope within which Dash might be a useful alternative to Bitcoin, then at least you wouldn't look like such a dufus for titling a thread with a non-sequitur.

Should Dash as direct competitor of Bitcoin still keep a presence on this Bitcointalk forum?

Yes, all publicity is good publicity
No, its counterproductive and will limit Dash in the end

Please don't leave the entire forum will collapse.

If Dash leaves the Altcoin discussion forum, there won't be hardly any threads remaining  Tongue

There are 6 Dash threads in the first page of this Altcoin discussion forum. And you are creating another one to ask if you should create less  Cool

Clearly the correct answer is "all publicity is good publicity"  Undecided

olcaytu2005
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:20:43 PM

Hehehe. How do we know DASH is the best? Coz All Monero trolls here DASH thread Grin Monero's legendary dogs and their alt dogs barking all time. Why? because they are jealous of DASH(and also Evan) very much. They dont have a good coin to talk about so they are talking about DASH Smiley

Hey guys Monero can be perfect coin but it ll die soon because of trolling and DASH will live forever. Please put a collar on @icebreaker and @smoothie dogs Grin
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:16:50 AM

The title of the thread seems presumptuous. Last time I checked, I can't use Dash on localbitcoins to get cash out into my local bank account, etc.. Dash isn't even close to being any generally applicable alternative to Bitcoin. Of the merchants who accept Bitcoin, my guess is less than 1/10 of 1% of them accept Dash.

If the thread was titled "Will Dash Evolution offer some technical advantages over Bitcoin?" or specified some limited scope within which Dash might be a useful alternative to Bitcoin, then at least you wouldn't look like such a dufus for titling a thread with a non-sequitur.

The only way you can tell me Dash isn't a huge improvement over Bitcoin, in speed and privacy alone, is if you're lying or so full of jealousy you can't see straight.  I don't think you'd lie though.  But I do think you don't see straight because you're too tunnel visioned and you don't want to see the whole package.

I definitely think you won't like Evolution, which is really too bad, because we'd love to see you as part of the team.  Unfortunately, I don't think you have the vision to compete.  I would love to see you make an amazing coin, but fear it'll have the same shortfalls every other coin has due to a stubborn loyalty some philosophical ideals you have.  I don't agree with most of those, I think they're wrong.  But who am I?  I wish you well Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
Satu

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:17:52 AM

Good when it come to paying online without exposing one identity. but bitcoin mixers already done the job so there is no need for dash.

Hint: Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature. Signatures taller than 42px will be cut off.
TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:28:23 AM

Good when it come to paying online without exposing one identity. but bitcoin mixers already done the job so there is no need for dash.

Bitcoin is losing full nodes, their nodes are not compensated, and often of low quality.
Dash has been gaining nodes, and at 1/100 of Bitcoin's market cap, Dash has 3/5 as many nodes.  A huge difference in security.

Bitcoin takes 10 minutes to secure a transaction with 1 confirmation.
Dash takes 4 seconds average to secure 5, and soon we will have all transactions fully confirmed with instantX.  This has been proven to work completely securely.

Bitcoin's network is continuously threatened by a 51% attack due to mining pools having enough hash power to possibly attacking the blockchain with double spends or other corrupted information.
When Dash is 100% IX, the hashing power will no longer matter if it's concentrated in a single pool.  Dash will be immune to 50% attacks.

Oh, the list is so much longer, but I want to go to bed now.  Your point of view is extremely limited and blind, frankly.  Bitcoin, is, however, the coin that has made the inroads to the establishment.  It will be the entry point from fiat for a long long time.  But it's usefulness is extremely limited.  Dash can be used like cash, face to face and instant.  When crypto-currencies start to be used by the general population, it won't be Bitcoin that they're using.  Bitcoin will be a tool that interfaces with the Banking industry, nothing more.  It's simply not flexible enough to act as a real currency.

If I may suggest, that is if you really want to know, watch the video series Evan put out describing Dash, you can find them here:
https://www.dashpay.io/dash-video-series/

and for the new stuff, you can watch his presentation at Bitcoin Wednesday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jw5Gk-iuy0

and the Q&A section here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sNx7SMTP8

No, the how was not revealed.  Like when working on DarkSend, Evan is holding the cards close to the vest to keep first mover advantage because in the end Dash is a Distributed Autonomous Virtual Corporation, and we do some things to protect our technology, even so it'll eventually be open sourced Smiley

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:37:00 AM
Last edit: October 31, 2015, 04:57:27 PM by TPTB_need_war

The only way you can tell me Dash isn't a huge improvement over Bitcoin, in speed and privacy alone

My point is those privacy features alone don't make it a general alternative to Bitcoin. It makes it a necessity for a microcosm of use cases that Bitcoin can do which Dash can not. I am just being realistic about the relative size of the ecosystems.

The claimed speed of Evolution is vaporware. Existing Dash transactions are not very fast.

I don't think you'd lie though.

Actually if I had told the complete truth last year then Dash would have never become what it did. But rather than pick a fight with the community, I just shut my mouth about the fact that the masternodes could break your anonymity.

But you challenge me to not lie, so now I will tell the complete truth. Now Evan is proposing to fix that hole, because CoinShuffle was invented in the meantime but Evan doesn't even admit it is CoinShuffle, thus not giving credit to the authors of that technology. And CoinShuffle is off chain anonymity which means it has a simultaneity requirement (violates the end-to-end principle) and thus can't scale. He is delusional if he thinks off chain anonymity will scale to rate of transactions he is proposing with Evolution. I am just waiting for him to get to testnet and start scratching his head. Believe me, I know a lot more about the technology than Evan ever did or ever will. Heck I invented on chain Zero Knowledge Transactions before Blockstream and Monero's cryptographer did. Monero and others are busy implementing this now and it will blow away the off chain anonymity of Dash.

I would love to see you make an amazing coin

I will and it will blow away Evolution in every metric, but unfortunately you investors won't be able to buy it easily.

Dash will likely make it to market before I do though. Good luck.

Hey I don't want to fight you guys. I have always held my tongue about Dash (until now). I was just being humorous with my prior post, because the recent Dash threads have become a comedy. It is as if all the smartest folk have disappeared from Dash. Someone explained me their forums are nearly dead. The market cap and volume is probably the insiders buying from themselves. The entire thing is I believe a phoney house of cards, but I can't prove it and I am really not interested at all in researching it. Evan has always been cordial with me, and I have no reason to pick a fight with him. He likely has bigger problems to worry about on the horizon (namely the SEC and jail). I pity him in terms of he sort of seems like a very amiable guy. Any way, I don't really know and I don't want to know.

Apologies I was just making a joke and you challenged me. Be careful with challenging me, because there is a lot more substance up my sleeve than I reveal.

Peace and good luck with Evolution.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:46:36 AM

I don't think it's coinshuffle, I think it's blinded masternodes and DarkSend.  But until it's revealed, I don't know either so no point in arguing.

Hey man, I know you're a genius.  But being a genius and being wise are two different things.  And believe it or not, I envy your ability to analyze game theory.  I studied it a bit, and frankly fell asleep.  It's not something my brain can deal with.

And you're right, all the smartest folks have left this forum.  They can't stand it here anymore, and only come to make announcements.  I don't know why I bother.   Maybe because I don't want to let trolls push me out. 

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 04:58:26 AM

Dash did at least three things better than Monero.

1. It arrived first.

2. The marketing was simple enough for n00bs to understand.

3. Evan was much more amiable and less snobbish and didn't go around posting in other coin's thread.

I was just joking with qwizzie because of the gaffs he committed. Wasn't really intending to attack Dash with the joke. I don't really need to pick sides. Any way, I am not going after Dash's market (altcoin investors). I am targeting users. I won't even be distributing my coin to investors. They will have to go get some from users (if my plan works).

limaphii

Activity: 700

Founder of CoExistCoin

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 06:00:10 AM

yes

qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 09:26:41 AM

Those Bitcoin mixers are very centralised and for that reason can form a security risk, Dash offers a safe decentralised solution.

DrkLvr_

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 01:39:01 PM

See post #102

You say it is mentioned on "a far more important forum" - what metrics are you using to determine its importance? This other forum has a fraction of the members, posts and views than Bitcointalk.

I'm also not clear what specifically is preventing you from also mentioning it on the Bitcointalk forum as well. Why is it only mentioned on one forum? (the less popular one)

Dash cannot be trusted. The tough questions never get answered.. its just spam post after spam post until its forgotten.. rince and repeat... rebrand after rebrand
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2015, 01:49:08 PM

Those Bitcoin mixers are very centralised and for that reason can form a security risk, Dash offers a safe decentralised solution.

Those dash masternodes are very centralized and for that reason can form a security risk, cryptonote, zerocash (eventually quantum money) coins offer a safe decentralized solution.

Glass houses, my friend, glass houses.

Blazin8888

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 01:52:10 PM

Agree here. DASH is better for day to day payments.

BTC will be for buying yachts/houses/islands or just storing and holding for value.
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 02:00:30 PM

Masternode Geographic Loactions Worldwide : http://dashnodes.com/index/masternodes_map/
Date 25th of October 2015

I would call the masternode network pretty decentralised... unless we should consider the masternodes being stuck on one planet
a point for centralisation.

DrkLvr_

View Profile
October 31, 2015, 02:01:46 PM

See post #102

Another bump for visibility. I understand why there's so much controversy around Dash. you don't answer questions you don't like the answers to.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: