Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:27:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on making a "guide" thread topic  (Read 379 times)
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:41:08 PM

Hello

I am considering creating a new topic on the forum that I would like to become a guide for new users, such as myself. I have a few questions of the forum rules and best practices though, as I would like to avoid any issues by starting out right.

1. If I create a new topic, can I make the OP with minimal text and right away reserved the first few response myself? I was thinking something like a brief description in the OP, then maybe 3-4 replies reserved with placeholders, such as the word "reserved", so I can later back-fill the guide without it being too unwieldy in one post. I anticipate the guide will become quite lengthy and breaking it up into different replies would make it more manageable and easier to read.

2. Is it a good idea to make it a self-moderated thread? I seem to sense there is some debate on this, but I would like to keep the thread clear of any unnecessary trolling or other detracting posts. I would keep constructive criticisms, etc., but many threads I see deteriorate to the point the original intent gets lost. Or does using a self-moderated post detract from the thread creditability?

3. I have read the rules and feel I have a good understanding of do's and don't s, but if anyone has tips to offer that would be great.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 06:26:23 PM

Hello

Hello!

I am considering creating a new topic on the forum that I would like to become a guide for new users, such as myself. I have a few questions of the forum rules and best practices though, as I would like to avoid any issues by starting out right.

Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=703657.0 thoroughly.

1. If I create a new topic, can I make the OP with minimal text and right away reserved the first few response myself? I was thinking something like a brief description in the OP, then maybe 3-4 replies reserved with placeholders, such as the word "reserved", so I can later back-fill the guide without it being too unwieldy in one post. I anticipate the guide will become quite lengthy and breaking it up into different replies would make it more manageable and easier to read.

You can.

2. Is it a good idea to make it a self-moderated thread? I seem to sense there is some debate on this, but I would like to keep the thread clear of any unnecessary trolling or other detracting posts. I would keep constructive criticisms, etc., but many threads I see deteriorate to the point the original intent gets lost. Or does using a self-moderated post detract from the thread creditability?

As you are a new user, there might be some criticisms from users but as long as you don't give any false advises, you will get into trouble.

3. I have read the rules and feel I have a good understanding of do's and don't s, but if anyone has tips to offer that would be great.

Not all users ask questions in your thread. New users create threads instead. If I remember correctly, there was a thread like this but it is inactive for a long time. You might want to bump it once every 2-3 days and don't forget to delete old bumps once you create new ones.

jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 08:07:40 PM

Muhammed Zakir has said most of what is there to say, but on the "reserved" point, I don't agree.
There are guides that will always be longer than whatever you create, working perfectly within one post.
With the hr tag, you can seperate sections of your guide, and with adequate spacing you can make sure nothing of the sort is needed.
Check out the overall Bitcointalk rules and guidelines thread, I think it is around 4,000 words in one post.
Yes, if you didn't notice there is a guide post stickied on Meta with years of info already

You can make something similar, but it may be redundant.
You can make reserved posts without getting into trouble, but they may be pointless.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Za1n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 08:24:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback, that is exactly the type information and opinions I was looking for. I will check out those links you two posted as I probably overlooked some of that. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: