Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:08:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Is British - Change the Forum Language Pack  (Read 1982 times)
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 01:52:27 PM

The OP has a valid point. I kind of do think of Bitcoin being focused on either America or China. Like the OP points out a British paper was used by Satoshi so we can possibly think Bitcoin was invented by a Brit....which I never ever hear, it's either that Nick Sazabo or some other American guy who people speculate who Satoshi is, and of course that poor Japanese guy. So some bias should be recognised in our assumptions at least.

Also I know quite a few Americans are on this forum but IF we are saying Bitcoin is for the world then please maybe don't assume everyone is from the U.S. The amount of times people have answered me assuming I was American and so have to worry about the FBI, the IRS, the CIA and what congress decides about Bitcoin etc...

I never get anyone say hey we need to worry about MI5 or how the UK National Tax service will process Bitcoin. The OP point was meant to be humorous but I think he has a serious point which is valid. i live in Asia, I'm a Brit and I am always having to explain British English to Americans while I know every damn colloquial of the U.S. We did invent the language after all...might be time to think a bit more globally.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:20:09 PM

The OP has a valid point. I kind of do think of Bitcoin being focused on either America or China. Like the OP points out a British paper was used by Satoshi so we can possibly think Bitcoin was invented by a Brit....which I never ever hear, it's either that Nick Sazabo or some other American guy who people speculate who Satoshi is, and of course that poor Japanese guy. So some bias should be recognised in our assumptions at least.

Also I know quite a few Americans are on this forum but IF we are saying Bitcoin is for the world then please maybe don't assume everyone is from the U.S. The amount of times people have answered me assuming I was American and so have to worry about the FBI, the IRS, the CIA and what congress decides about Bitcoin etc...

I never get anyone say hey we need to worry about MI5 or how the UK National Tax service will process Bitcoin. The OP point was meant to be humorous but I think he has a serious point which is valid. i live in Asia, I'm a Brit and I am always having to explain British English to Americans while I know every damn colloquial of the U.S. We did invent the language after all...might be time to think a bit more globally.

Americans can't do that because they believe they're the center of the universe. Thinking globally for, let's say, a Texan means crossing the border into Mexico on the weekend to buy tequila. lol

I can't believe so many non-Americans come to this forum and contribute to discussions that are clearly meaningless to them. At one point half of the discussion threads were about Coinbase and the other half were about various actions taken by the U.S. Government. Why would a Chinese guy or an Aussie give a shit about some American exchange, American localbitcoins bust or American state making Bitcoin illegal?

nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:01:07 PM

Let's face it the Bitcoin foundation would better be called the American Bitcoin foundation with almost all members American and based in Washington.....It's the World Series in baseball all over again. Lol.
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:07:24 PM

Americans can't do that because they believe they're the center of the universe. Thinking globally for, let's say, a Texan means crossing the border into Mexico on the weekend to buy tequila. lol

I can't believe so many non-Americans come to this forum and contribute to discussions that are clearly meaningless to them. At one point half of the discussion threads were about Coinbase and the other half were about various actions taken by the U.S. Government. Why would a Chinese guy or an Aussie give a shit about some American exchange, American localbitcoins bust or American state making Bitcoin illegal?

The reason is the main user of Bitcoins are American,you can find that info almost everywhere you look. If you want to ignore that and play in a secluded forum for Brits thats a choice you make. I am not American and find a lot of great info here,its just not the cup of tea you may be looking for. Ignore the biggest segment of Bitcoin users and I doubt many business ideas pan out.
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:33:56 PM

Please no!  They do strange things over there, sausages are bangers, flashlights are torches, its just silly chaos!  I think the forums would spontaneously implode if we had to deal with British English here.
elcore

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:46:24 PM

Bitcoin was invented for the Internet, a place without borders without countries. There is no need to say Bitcoin is American, British or Chinese it is just International

PS: I even can buy African Newspapers here in good old Germany. So the point with the British Newspaper is pointless  Cheesy
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 08:08:51 PM

The reason is the main user of Bitcoins are American,you can find that info almost everywhere you look. If you want to ignore that and play in a secluded forum for Brits thats a choice you make. I am not American and find a lot of great info here,its just not the cup of tea you may be looking for. Ignore the biggest segment of Bitcoin users and I doubt many business ideas pan out.

Using your argument, this forum should be Chinese....we know they control all the mining and the trading that goes on.

Just asking to show some respect for the creator.....he didn't reference and article from the New York Times. No. The Genesis (you know, in the beginning) block refers to the The Times, from the UK.

We know the yanks like to take over everything, that's the point of the OP  Tongue

Very nice five-year anniversary find! It's nice to see that the prominence of the front page headline, that appears as the headline you would choose from the front page, not the one you would choose if you were making a political statement (but the genesis could have been "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Eat Out from £5").

The text is exactly what is in the blockchain, while online versions have a longer headline.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a British child board on this forum  Grin
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 08:59:46 PM

Using your argument, this forum should be Chinese....we know they control all the mining and the trading that goes on.

Just asking to show some respect for the creator.....he didn't reference and article from the New York Times. No. The Genesis (you know, in the beginning) block refers to the The Times, from the UK.

We know the yanks like to take over everything, that's the point of the OP  Tongue

Very nice five-year anniversary find! It's nice to see that the prominence of the front page headline, that appears as the headline you would choose from the front page, not the one you would choose if you were making a political statement (but the genesis could have been "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Eat Out from £5").

The text is exactly what is in the blockchain, while online versions have a longer headline.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a British child board on this forum  Grin

The post was American English vs. British English,so adding Chinese into the mix is changing the borders of the argument to suit your points.

If Britain needs a forum then you should create one that gives you all the glory you feel you deserve.
Problem is you are trying to do what most Brits are famous for around the world. Looking to turn their vacation abroad into a little slice of Britain.
Any one that has traveled will know what I am talking about. You are also reinforcing a stereotype by making this post,but I am sure you know that.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:17:36 PM

The post was American English vs. British English,so adding Chinese into the mix is changing the borders of the argument to suit your points.

If Britain needs a forum then you should create one that gives you all the glory you feel you deserve.
Problem is you are trying to do what most Brits are famous for around the world. Looking to turn their vacation abroad into a little slice of Britain.
Any one that has traveled will know what I am talking about. You are also reinforcing a stereotype by making this post,but I am sure you know that.

Britain already created a forum for Bitcoin - this one. lol

That's the whole point.  Grin
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 12:51:53 AM

Britain already created a forum for Bitcoin - this one. lol

That's the whole point.  Grin
This forum was created by Satoshi and Sirius. I'm pretty sure that Sirius is Finnish. It was then passed on to Theymos who I think is American. Satoshi created Bitcoin to be international. It doesn't matter what language you speak. If Satoshi did care and wanted to enforce such a rule for British English, then why did he allow non Brits to be admins of the forum?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5152
Merit: 12580

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 01:23:00 AM

Satoshi configured this forum. If he'd wanted it to use British spelling, he'd have configured it that way.

America's way of spelling things is often the original English spelling. British spelling changed over time, but America kept the spelling that was imported at colonization. (Probably because the original colonists were almost all literate, unlike the Brits. Wink)

Yanks just don't use British English spelling - full stop (none of that 'period' crap, its bloody well 'full stop').  

Not true. I use the spelling that makes the most sense to me. I write "grey" instead of "gray", and in a few words I use the British "s" instead of the American "z".

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:25:10 AM

What I do have a beef about is having to correct the British spelling of words on this bloody forum.  

I always post in British English, on here and on other forums. The internet is multinational. No one is alienating us for our British English, and we shouldn't be to other members.

Satoshi didn't create Bitcoin or this forum so it could be hijacked by the Yanks.
It needs British English spelling by default.

You can't force British spelling on everyone.  Wink
I am beginning to think you have your Windows and/or your browser installed incorrectly. My browser's spell check is in British English. Words like "color" and "favorite" are underlined red.

Anyway (another Brit word), my spelling is loosing the British touch. Words like "program", "meter", "center" are creeping into my vocabulary.  Lips sealed

Please no!  They do strange things over there, sausages are bangers, flashlights are torches, its just silly chaos!

We seldom say "bangers", only referencing a particular dish "bangers and mash".

Satoshi configured this forum. If he'd wanted it to use British spelling, he'd have configured it that way.

Satoshi is inconsistent himself  Cheesy

Bitcoin clients currently only create and recognize transactions that match two possible templates.  

As a thought experiment, imagine there was a base metal as scarce as gold but with the following properties:
- boring grey in colour

The distro packages of 2.8 are UTF-16, so they just trip people up.  People had endless build problems with 2.8 and its wxString UTF-16/ANSI conditional build options until we standardized on 2.9.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 09:42:55 AM

As a British person, I alternate between American and British spellings pretty much at-will. Except with words such as colour. I also will purposefully make it my objective to spell everything in British English if anyone tries to tell me that American English is the proper way of speaking English and that I'm wrong (oh, how often this happens...).

(Probably because the original colonists were almost all literate, unlike the Brits. Wink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3-f8usdWg

Not true. I use the spelling that makes the most sense to me. I write "grey" instead of "gray", and in a few words I use the British "s" instead of the American "z".

Okay, that's good enough. Wink

Extra watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qNBk5BbmBc

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:36:22 AM
Last edit: July 26, 2015, 10:52:40 AM by coins101

Actually, I was waiting for someone to point that out  Grin (although, I'm sure there have been updates where Satoshi's original implementation was written out of history  Tongue).

Thanks to everyone who took the post in good spirits. To those that got hot under the collar  Tongue

The reality is that Bitcoin is international and culturally neutral.

As with the internet, our American cousins are, as has been pointed out, helping to drive adoption.

The biggest efforts are European and American:

So we all have a ways to go to make Bitcoin the gold standard.

However, when the corrupt lobby system in American tries to control Bitcoin, we might have to revisit our new special relationship and that's when we will really have a conversation about changing the forum language pack back to British English  Grin
coins101 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:50:58 AM

You can't force British spelling on everyone.  Wink
I am beginning to think you have your Windows and/or your browser installed incorrectly. My browser's spell check is in British English. Words like "color" and "favorite" are underlined red.

There is something oxymoronishly subversive about your comment.

'You can't force British spelling on everyone....'  vs '....change your default browser language from American spelling to what suits you best.'

See, American language packs set to default: the thin edge of the wedge.  I fear the minds of our snapchat, 140 character, chewing gum attention span youngsters will eventually mean the war of our British words will be lost.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 11:04:25 AM

See, American language packs set to default: the thin edge of the wedge.  I fear the minds of our snapchat, 140 character, chewing gum attention span youngsters will eventually mean the war of our British words will be lost.

As someone who uses Snapchat (simply as an alternative to texting, I don't snap "selfies" and all that useless crap) to talk to people, the fact that everytime I type colour or another British word it tries to underline it in red or autocorrect it annoys me. I guess I'll need to get around to changing my language pack on my iPhone...

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 12:22:24 PM

HaHa The joke thread went to Meta!

Here's a reason why the forum should be in American English. Brits are too proper and courteous. There was a British Bitcoin forum started long ago (in 2011 I think) by a guy named Vladimir Marchenko. Vladimir was a whiny little Nancy Mary that constantly bitched about the lack of strict moderation on this forum (probably because he was a proper limey). He went from thread to thread here telling everyone about his great new forum. It was strictly moderated so conversations there seldom became obnoxious or developed into anything useful. Because his members had to behave, his forum never grew and eventually disappeared. This proves loudmouthed, obnoxious, crude, judgmental American pigs are necessary to make a successful Bitcoin forum. Now, because Americans, for the most part, are lazy, ignorant Neanderthals they need the forum default language to remain the English that they finally learned in 12th grade. if you start throwing a "z" at them where they expect an "s" or use "re" instead of "er" the plonkers will end up in a sticky wicket and commit harry-carry.

rizkyhiw
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 01:42:43 PM

HaHa The joke thread went to Meta!

Here's a reason why the forum should be in American English. Brits are too proper and courteous. There was a British Bitcoin forum started long ago (in 2011 I think) by a guy named Vladimir Marchenko. Vladimir was a whiny little Nancy Mary that constantly bitched about the lack of strict moderation on this forum (probably because he was a proper limey). He went from thread to thread here telling everyone about his great new forum. It was strictly moderated so conversations there seldom became obnoxious or developed into anything useful. Because his members had to behave, his forum never grew and eventually disappeared. This proves loudmouthed, obnoxious, crude, judgmental American pigs are necessary to make a successful Bitcoin forum. Now, because Americans, for the most part, are lazy, ignorant Neanderthals they need the forum default language to remain the English that they finally learned in 12th grade. if you start throwing a "z" at them where they expect an "s" or use "re" instead of "er" the plonkers will end up in a sticky wicket and commit harry-carry.

what forum exactly sir? i'm curious
nextgencoin
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 01:59:05 PM

Clearly some people have the impression British men are like this.

When actually they are more like.

So what have we learned by this thread? possibly that Americans can't recognise British humour or that Americans really do think the world revolves around them. Can I make the point IF we are going to be global then the biggest type of English taught today is actually Bristish English which is the preferred type in China and India. So actually if we did use a global English it would be British English not because of the British but because of MR Lee and MR Gupta.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 03:46:27 PM

-snip-

Unfortunately as a rather normal British person, I have to say this is somewhat true. We call these kind of people "chavs", who live in "council houses" (provided by the council), usually have a family of about 10 children, and smoke around 200 cigarettes a day. The lattermost point is hyperbole, however I have seen a chav family in my area who meet the first two criteria. Two of their children became pregnant under 18, one later vanished probably to a different home. I didn't notice for about a year or two. That's how many children they have.

The comedian Devvo who I linked to before probably illustrates this "chav culture" the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E3-f8usdWg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qNBk5BbmBc

More OT: Britainisation please.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: