Bitcoin Forum
September 15, 2024, 01:15:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantage of PoW over PoS  (Read 1508 times)
ðºÞæ

Activity: 1176
Merit: 297

Bitcoin © Maximalist

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:02:29 PM

No Government or Bank will ever create a Proof of Work (PoW) coin, period.  It separates the Men from the Boys.

"The existing Visa credit card network processes about 15 million Internet purchases per day worldwide. Bitcoin can already scale much larger than that with existing hardware for a fraction of the cost. It never really hits a scale ceiling."  Satoshi Nakamoto, April 2009          Avoiding taxes is totally legal if you consider and respect the law.
duphash (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:10:25 PM

No Government or Bank will ever create a Proof of Work (PoW) coin, period.  It separates the Men from the Boys.

If PoW requires energy and energy is controlled by govt and banks then why do you consider PoW being different than PoS ?
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:13:57 PM

What prevents someone from stealing million BTC from any exchange ? I don't see how PoW prevents this.
With decentralized Asset Exchange like NXT  trade.secureae.com  problem of stealing from exchanges does not exist.

BTC pump of 2013 - 2014 shows that mined currency does not have to be sold and can be hoarded too.

I still don't see compelling arguments in favor of PoW.

I believe there's two points here:

1. With PoW coins, there's no advantage to keeping the coins online, while with PoS coins the exchange is motivated to store coins online where they can stake them.
2. With PoS coins, a major theft can put a huge chunk of mining power into the hands of a malicious actor. See the case with the Vericoin hack from Mintpal, where 30+% of the total supply was stolen, leading to a hard fork to revert the transaction: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-protected-vericoin-stolen-mintpal-wallet-breach/

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
duphash (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:36:46 PM

What prevents someone from stealing million BTC from any exchange ? I don't see how PoW prevents this.
With decentralized Asset Exchange like NXT  trade.secureae.com  problem of stealing from exchanges does not exist.

BTC pump of 2013 - 2014 shows that mined currency does not have to be sold and can be hoarded too.

I still don't see compelling arguments in favor of PoW.

I believe there's two points here:

1. With PoW coins, there's no advantage to keeping the coins online, while with PoS coins the exchange is motivated to store coins online where they can stake them.
2. With PoS coins, a major theft can put a huge chunk of mining power into the hands of a malicious actor. See the case with the Vericoin hack from Mintpal, where 30+% of the total supply was stolen, leading to a hard fork to revert the transaction: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-protected-vericoin-stolen-mintpal-wallet-breach/

NXT decentralized exchange solves that problem too. No central exchange - no concentration of staking power and theft risks.
Am I right ?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 03:41:45 PM

NXT decentralized exchange solves that problem too. No central exchange - no concentration of staking power and theft risks.
Am I right ?

Yes, you are right. As long as secure passwords are used for the wallets - which you think we'd all have learned by now - Nxt's decentralized exchange does not have that point of failure.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: