Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious - Why do regular miners still mine proportional pools?  (Read 1949 times)
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 04:04:20 AM

It is a well established fact that proportional is a flawed payout method.
"Strategic miners" mine the most profitable part of a round then hop away somewhere else leaving the dedicated "regular miner" to "finish the block".

Proportional appears to be the fairest method and is often chosen by new pool operators unaware of how exploitable it is or the "hopper tax" they expect their regular miners to pay.

I really don't mind where people mine, I'm just curious if it is lack of knowledge, lack of care about income or just what Smiley

I expect the hopper community will come up with some fud to try to counter my claims - they were very vocal when my pool changed from proportional to a fair payout system.

https://bitcoil.co.il/pool_analysis.pdf
Appendix B
Pool-hopping in proportional pools
shows the detailed maths
IMO the whole PDF should be required reading by anyone planning to open a pool Smiley

Cheers
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 04:57:54 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 05:37:06 AM by organofcorti

For slush and Deepbit the loss to hoppers only amounts to 1 to 2%. If people know and accept that their costs are a bit higher than the pool fees, I can understand that. I can't really understand full time miners at other proportional pools - on one of them, fulltime miners earn about 0.7 to 0.8 of PPS on average. Thats a 20 to 30% loss.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:34:58 AM

For slush and Deepbit the loss to hoppers only amounts to 1 to 2%. If people know and accept that their costs are a bit higher than the pool fees like, I can understand that. I can't really understand full time miners at other proportional pools - on one of them, fulltime miners earn about 0.7 to 0.8 of PPS on average. Thats a 20 to 30% loss.
So Deepbit for example: they already charge a 3% fee, and then a fulltime miner loses another 2% to hoppers. And yet this is one of the biggest pools out there.

Not hatin on Deepbit, as they were the first pool I used. Very simple for a newbie to figure out. However, there's a reason I switched pools once I got more familiar with different pools.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:37:27 AM

Is it confirmed that pool hopping software can figure out where to hop based on who annouces a newly found block to defeat deepbits delayed stats?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 05:38:41 AM

Is it confirmed that pool hopping software can figure out where to hop based on who annouces a newly found block to defeat deepbits delayed stats?

It was confirmed over a year ago. Deepbit is one of the pools hoppers rely on.

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:40:12 AM

A year ago the software was beta and unreliable for the most part.
So it is improved and out in the wild?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 05:41:29 AM

It was reliable enough for me to earn 1.45x at Deepbit on average, for three months.

fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:46:08 AM

It was reliable enough for me to earn 1.45x at Deepbit on average, for three months.

You make it sound like you are not using it anymore. If so great why stop?

Did something change?
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 05:48:17 AM

You make it sound like you are not using it anymore. If so great why stop?

Did something change?

No, just stopped mining - electricity costs are too high and complaints about the noisiness of gpus were too many.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 09:59:42 AM

I really don't mind where people mine, I'm just curious if it is lack of knowledge, lack of care about income or just what Smiley

Easy to verify.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:36:34 PM

I mine on Slush because it was the first pool available when I started mining. I have spent so much time tuning hardware, software, etc., more time learning other things about Bitcoin, and the pool is reliable so I never thought to switch. It's only recently I learned about hopping as I didn't pay attention to the pool aspect much these days as I figured things had settled out. Inevitably there is always more to learn though! Maybe it isn't entirely logical for me to stay with Slush but I just started using the new Stratum protocol so now my stales rate has dropped significantly.

Perhaps the Mining Pool Comparison wiki should have something on hopping:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

Although it is a bit late now seeing as ASICs will be coming soon.

I would consider switching to a new system if it was healthy for Bitcoin - e.g. something like P2Pool where the workers can decide what transactions are put into the block thus promoting more decentralization in the network.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 05:52:47 PM

My hashrate is forwarded to prop. pools Cheesy
Tittiez

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:25:55 PM

My hashrate is forwarded to prop. pools Cheesy