Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:23:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why you shouldn't trade Bitcoin  (Read 2980 times)
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:22:34 PM

This. The more money we extract from the evil fiat system the better. It only strengthens Bitcoin. It raises its marketcap, everything about ti is positive. There will always be other people that can afford or it just dont care about holding to spend some of it.
As has been explained numerous times: holding and spending are not mutually exclusive.

By spending + buying back the same amount of bitcoins, you are essentially holding (thus keeping money out of the evil fiat system) and helping the Bitcoin economy grow at the same time.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:47:53 PM

This. The more money we extract from the evil fiat system the better. It only strengthens Bitcoin. It raises its marketcap, everything about ti is positive. There will always be other people that can afford or it just dont care about holding to spend some of it.
As has been explained numerous times: holding and spending are not mutually exclusive.

By spending + buying back the same amount of bitcoins, you are essentially holding (thus keeping money out of the evil fiat system) and helping the Bitcoin economy grow at the same time.

Indeed, the better way than holding is to trade and rebuy lower a larger quantity of it, and that also means that in time your profits increase largely if you reinvest all, but it's
also obvious that the risk increases as well, so it should be well thought out trades you do.
Furthermore, bitcoin was created to be spent also, so i don't see the reason why anyone would avoid that. Some people don't differentiate spending and dumping.

cheers
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:04:16 AM

be a hodler not a trader.  top reasons:

1. most traders lose money.  if you were a
good trader you'd be rich already.

2. why risk losing money trading when
you can hold and have a much higher
probability of making money on
strong fundamentals?

3. thin market = technical analysis
is less reliable, bigger spreads, and
more manipulation.

4. brokers and exchanges are unreliable (gox)

In part, I'll have to agree with you. But why should you hold all the cake when you can use part to make extra incomes?
Trading is a big risk, but there are some people making money from it.
IMO, you should never hold all the cake and try to diversify your portfolio!
jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:08:44 AM

strong fundamentals?

more manipulation.

In part, I'll have to agree with you. But why should you hold all the cake when you can use part to make extra incomes?
Trading is a big risk, but there are some people making money from it.
IMO, you should never hold all the cake and try to diversify your portfolio!

Traders that are profitable will not stop trading because of my post.
Others who are passionate and/or greedy will not be dissuaded from
trying.

Still, many people who try it will get burned.  As someone suggested,
if you want to try, do it on a small scale.  But there are better things
to trade than Bitcoin if you want to trade.  IMO, Bitcoin is for hodling
(and spending)

Jorge320

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:11:14 AM

Holding mostly, but I support the technology by making purchases monthly online, GOT TO SPREAD THE WORD!

- Jorge
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:23:46 AM

strong fundamentals?

more manipulation.

1.  A lot of traders are making good money trading bitcoin and other crytpo

2. People should only risk what they can afford to lose

3.  This is crypto currency we are talking about, not regular stocks.  Volatility is what people hope for here. 

4.  Gox failed but there are still good exchanges out there.  Just don't use them to store your bitcoins.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 02:43:54 AM

Good topic, I have a question and a comment. If I've never traded before how do I know I'm not good at it yet, maybe I can still be "rich already" if I try some trading! And the people holding Bitcoin at Mt Gox were the ones who got fucked and left with nothing! The traders, the people transacting through probably did the best at dodging that bullet!

Full Disclosure: I'm a hodler. 

Holding helps keep the price high if demand remains the same or increases. Now when to hold em, that time is now!

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:49:31 AM

Indeed, the better way than holding is to trade and rebuy lower a larger quantity of it,
Well if you can rebuy lower, obviously that's even better, but of course you can't do this without also introducing a risk that you have to rebuy higher.

Alternatively, I'd recommend people to simply put some fiat money that they'd otherwise have on their credit card or bank account, on an exchange instead. And whenever they spend some bitcoins (that they'd otherwise spend their fiat on), buy back the same amount of bitcoins immediately. This will cost approximately the same amount of fiat (give or take some 0.x% fee) that would otherwise have been spent, and this way you're guaranteed to keep your amount of bitcoins.

So this isn't trading per se, there is no risk or profit involved. Or in fact the profit comes from the Bitcoin price going in the long run, because your holding AND putting Bitcoin to good use (by actually paying with it) at the same time.

Furthermore, bitcoin was created to be spent also, so i don't see the reason why anyone would avoid that. Some people don't differentiate spending and dumping.
Exactly!

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 04:52:06 AM

strong fundamentals?

more manipulation.

i am one of the holder because holding have given me profit in past then trading both options have their own risk if you can loss or win in trade then you can also win get profit or loss in holding but as this is obvious bitcoins price will rise its not gonna stay here we all know so holding is better for now a days

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 05:14:45 AM

be a hodler not a trader.  top reasons:

1. most traders lose money.  if you were a

Good topic, I have a question and a comment. If I've never traded before how do I know I'm not good at it yet, maybe I can still be "rich already" if I try some trading! And the people holding Bitcoin at Mt Gox were the ones who got fucked and left with nothing! The traders, the people transacting through probably did the best at dodging that bullet!

Full Disclosure: I'm a hodler.  

Holding helps keep the price high if demand remains the same or increases. Now when to hold em, that time is now!

You don't know if you're not good at it necessarily.  Trading is always difficult for a number of reasons I won't go into, but the main one being that it's a zero sum game so you have to be better than most and you're going up against smart and experienced people.  But the only way to know If you can do it successfully or not is to try.  I am not against trading, in fact I dabble myself but not in Bitcoin...and it's WAY easier to make money in Bitcoin by holding it.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 05:30:36 AM

1. most traders lose money.  if you were a good trader you'd be rich already.
2. why risk losing money trading when you can hold and have a much higher probability of making money on strong fundamentals?
3. thin market = technical analysis is less reliable, bigger spreads, and more manipulation.

i tried trading bitcoin with USD and back for profit before but i couldn't totally get the hang of it and gain enough profit to make it worth my time.

that is why i prefer trading altcoins, although the risks are the same and markets are still unpredictable but i could make better money there in comparison with bitcoin - USD

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:37:38 PM

1. most traders lose money.  if you were a good trader you'd be rich already.
2. why risk losing money trading when you can hold and have a much higher probability of making money on strong fundamentals?
3. thin market = technical analysis is less reliable, bigger spreads, and more manipulation.

i tried trading bitcoin with USD and back for profit before but i couldn't totally get the hang of it and gain enough profit to make it worth my time.

that is why i prefer trading altcoins, although the risks are the same and markets are still unpredictable but i could make better money there in comparison with bitcoin - USD

I agree with you. I was trading alts, and I did have some success and made some money. When I tried trading bitcoin, I didn't have a clue on what I was doing and I was just loosing money.

I got a feeling that in bitcoin, there are much bigger fishes that are controlling the situation, that's why it's so unpredictable. In alts this is much less. Manipulation is not as big.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:51:30 PM

Manipulation is not as big.

What the hell?

It's orders of magnitudes worse. However it is probably a lot more predictable. We know perfectly well that a handful of people will pump it and then shit on everyone else. You just need to hang on to their coattails and jump off at the right time.

Bitcoin's manipulation is no doubt just as real but far more complex and distributed. Being a Bitcoin holder makes things a bit trickier. Anyone who is holding an alt is either waiting to dump or needs their head examined.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:22:27 PM

You just need to hang on to their coattails and jump off at the right time.

Well this is the problem, I just don't have nerves to wait it or to sell it at the right time, I might be as well called too greedy.

And this is ok, I admit this loud an clear and I stay away from it. There are other ways to make money in Bitcoin besides trading.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:29:01 PM

Well this is the problem, I just don't have nerves to wait it or to sell it at the right time, I might be as well called too greedy.

And this is ok, I admit this loud an clear and I stay away from it. There are other ways to make money in Bitcoin besides trading.

You wouldn't catch me trading BTC either.

In a way alts are a lot easier to trade on an emotional level. We know perfectly well that the vast majority are there just to maximise profit with no thought for the future because most alts have no future, so you think nothing of going all in or out and never looking back.

I've given up on trading them as well though.
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:09:01 PM

You just need to hang on to their coattails and jump off at the right time.

Yes trading is risky and there are many other ways to make money in bitcoins. If you want to make a quick money my suggestion would be go for gambling as you can make a good money in a single day, it is risky too, but if you have courage to loose then you should try gambling.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 10:13:24 PM

If you want to make a quick money my suggestion would be go for gambling as you can make a good money in a single day, it is risky too, but if you have courage to loose then you should try gambling.

Advocating gambling instead of trading? That is staggeringly pisspoor advice.

hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:04:55 AM

If you want to make a quick money my suggestion would be go for gambling as you can make a good money in a single day, it is risky too, but if you have courage to loose then you should try gambling.

Advocating gambling instead of trading? That is staggeringly pisspoor advice.

Gambling sounds weird but there are many people who are addicted to gambling, but its not an great idea.

Trading also involves risk but the thing is that you have certain strategy in your mind while trading as you will aware when to trade and what would be the outcome.

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇