Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:55:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi dumped Bitcoin right after Gavin announced he was going to the CIA.  (Read 36954 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:44:27 AM
Merited by gmaxwell (1)

Gavin had just received the alert keys to the Bitcoin network. Right afterwards, he tells Satoshi that he is visiting the CIA. Satoshi leaves for good coincidentally.

This is quoted from the defunct Bruce Wagner Bitcoin podcast:

Bruce Wagner : When was the last time you chatted to satoshi <laugh>
Gavin Andresen: Um... I haven't had email from satoshi in a couple months actually. The last email I sent him I actually told him I was going to talk at the CIA. So it's possible , that.... that may have um had something to with his deciding

Based on this, do you think Gavin fully meets Satoshi's vision for Bitcoin?
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:53:33 AM

Basically, bring it on.  Let's encourage Wikileaks to use Bitcoins and I'm willing to face any risk or fallout from that act.
No, don't "bring it on".

The project needs to grow gradually so the software can be strengthened along the way.

I make this appeal to WikiLeaks not to try to use Bitcoin.  Bitcoin is a small beta community in its infancy.  You would not stand to get more than pocket change, and the heat you would bring would likely destroy us at this stage.

Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:57:04 AM

Also, it seems Satoshi had something for online wallets. Something Gavin isn't really excited about.

New users wouldn't really even need the Bitcoin software.  They could download a miner, create an account on mtgox or mybitcoin, enter their deposit address into the miner and point it at anyone's pool server.  When the miner says it found something, a while later a few coins show up in their account.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:25:32 AM

Also, it seems Satoshi had something for online wallets. Something Gavin isn't really excited about.

New users wouldn't really even need the Bitcoin software.  They could download a miner, create an account on mtgox or mybitcoin, enter their deposit address into the miner and point it at anyone's pool server.  When the miner says it found something, a while later a few coins show up in their account.

Those were very different times.

What he should have said was, "a while later, a few coins show up in Tom's account".
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:25:55 AM

WTF are you talking about?!  Nobody knows who Satoshi is.  People don't just talk to him.  There are no secret "alert keys" to the protocol, it's borderline open source so someone would see them.  Drunk post?  Btw I think your cat wants you...

P.S. clearly, as his avatar suggests, Gavin is the british guy from The Daily Show with John Stewart.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:27:30 AM

WTF are you talking about?!  Nobody knows who Satoshi is.  People don't just talk to him.  There are no secret "alert keys" to the protocol, it's borderline open source so someone would see them.  Drunk post?  Btw I think your cat wants you...

P.S. clearly, as his avatar suggests, Gavin is the british guy from The Daily Show with John Stewart.

Satoshi made the majority of the code. Satoshi made 90% of Bitcoin. There are alert keys. Many people here will testify towards that. They are in the code.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:31:17 AM

WTF are you talking about?!  Nobody knows who Satoshi is.  People don't just talk to him.  There are no secret "alert keys" to the protocol, it's borderline open source so someone would see them.

The "alert keys" he refers to are part of the "signaling mechanism" in the official client. I don't know the exact details but I suspect that the client holds the public key, and if it sees a valid message properly signed (by the private key, or the "alert key") then it will take some action like inform the user that there's a new version, or inform the user there's been a security breach and they need to update as soon as possible.

This would be part of the peer to peer overlay and not part of the blockchain. You can find this public key in the source code of the official client if you look.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 04:44:23 AM

Yes, it is there so that if at any time Satoshi decides Gavin should be deposed, he can send an alert to everyone's clients telling them it is time for Gavin to step down.

Lemme just check,,, uh, no, no such message yet, guess Gavin has some use left in him yet...

Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:02:44 AM

New users wouldn't really even need the Bitcoin software.  They could download a miner, create an account on mtgox or mybitcoin, enter their deposit address into the miner and point it at anyone's pool server.  When the miner says it found something, a while later a few coins show up in their account.

I also think online wallets is the way to go if bitcoin hope to gain any popularity among the non-tech people, though definitely not mybitcoin.com type, more of a blockchain.info type. The desktop client has its purposes,
but it'll probably never be properly secured and made usable by a non-tech person. So in that sense, an
online wallet is actually more secure, since security is taken care of by a trusted pro.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:46:01 AM

People are very angered by this reality. I am as well. If ignoring me makes you feel better, I encourage you to hit that button.

The fact is I want Satoshi back. He made this thing and I want him to represent it.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:05:07 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 06:15:53 AM by phillipsjk

I like the theory that Satoshi is actually a group of people working for a shadowy organization wanting plausible deniability. It is possible that Gavin went to the CIA to meet Satoshi,  but is not allowed to talk about it.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
ChrisKoss

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:10:36 AM

Gavin Andresen: Um... I haven't had email from satoshi in a couple months actually. The last email I sent him I actually told him I was going to talk at the CIA. So it's possible , that.... that may have um had something to with his deciding

Link to source/timestamp?

I'd love to hear this part, but not enough to listen through Bruce Wagner's podcast.

I am a consultant providing services to CoinLab, Inc.
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:19:27 AM

Link to source/timestamp?

I'd love to hear this part, but not enough to listen through Bruce Wagner's podcast.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/onlyonetv.com-bitcoin-show/id464967190

It should be around 17:53. First episode.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:51:15 AM

Gavin had just received the alert keys to the Bitcoin network. Right afterwards, he tells Satoshi that he is visiting the CIA. Satoshi leaves for good coincidentally.

why the rant? just do something productive and start your own client / alternacoin...
Atlas (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:03:06 AM

why the rant? just do something productive and start your own client / alternacoin...

There is nothing to be done. That's the point. Bitcoin is fine as it is but there are those out there who want change it and accelerate nature. I am against change without clear and comprehensive oversight.

I don't want control. That is the very thing I am against. I just want Bitcoin to be a stable platform without anyone changing it on a whim.

It could very well be that the stable Bitcoin I want is still here but I fear powers will attempt to do otherwise. And that they will do it through their veil and clout of legitimacy.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:06:53 AM

Oh god here goes atlas shrugging the dung off his shoulder again. Need some sort of a breathalizer test for his keyboard.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:15:09 AM

Atlas, I support u.

Don't pay attention to all these men with no balls who prefer to lick asses of "The Bitcoin Foundation" founders.
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:23:39 AM

Someone should ask Gavin why Satoshi became anonymous. If the answer isn't because of fear from power, Atlas is right in that Gavin does not have the same "vision" of what bitcoin is that Satoshi does.

Satoshi has gooooood reason to be anonymous. He makes a lot of powerful farmers lose a lot of influence over their herd of fat milky sheeple. Sheeple milk is the best kind of milk. Baaahhh.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:33:16 AM

Someone should ask Gavin why Satoshi became anonymous. If the answer isn't because of fear from power, Atlas is right in that Gavin does not have the same "vision" of what bitcoin is that Satoshi does.

Satoshi didn't "become" anonymous - he was always anonymous. 

Satoshi's vision of Bitcoin is a simple one.  The role of the devs has been to develop the official client in accordance with that vision - nothing more and nothing less.

http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

People, please... There is no such thing as an "official" client in an open-source project. There might be a dominant client that is more popular than the others, but surely for software to be official, it would have to be closed-source? Wink

Most of bitcoiners don't audit changes in the most popular client. Even if someone finds a backdoor and announces here, most of bitcoiners won't pay attention, they'll be listening to "The Bitcoin Foundation". That's why involvement of Gavin into "TBF" is very dangerous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: