Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:46:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D-day: 6/6 at 3 PM  (Read 2698 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:53:28 PM

At the current block discovery rate, the difficulty level is going to be reset to 515,000 (plus or minus) at 3 PM next Monday, 6/6.

I think that might be the point at which CPU mining is *always* a money-losing proposition.

Right now you can make .01 (USD) per hour.

Matthew
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:56:46 PM

Ah, I've been wondering when the next increase will occur. I'll be very surprised if it's a decrease.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:00:45 PM

Oh, it won't be.

The stats show that we're finding 8.2 blocks/hour, and the Bitcoin ideal is 6.

I wish it were otherwise, but it's going to be another increase.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 05:05:22 PM

Unless nVidia makes major changes to the way they handle OpenCL routines, profitability will go down to zero or worse first with CPU's, then nVidia GPU's and ultimately AMD/ATI GPU's.

In fact the only thing that can boost profitability if difficulty keeps rising is newer generations of AMD graphics cards that follow Moores law & double in performance every 1½ years.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:16:20 PM

I think that might be the point at which CPU mining is *always* a money-losing proposition.

if you are describing the situation where the value of bitcoins mined is less than the cost for the electricity consumed, that may be true.  but there are still many who are cpu mining and making money.  it happens to be those who are not themselves the ones paying for the electricity.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 07:25:43 PM

I looked at my current hash rate in the calculator w\ 515 and it still seems fine to me. 

Hopefully no more 78% increases though.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
grndzero

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 08:55:48 PM

434 883 / 514 142 = 0.845842199 == 16%  increase

No 78% increase this time. If the price keeps going up though there will probably be a bit more capacity added and 20-30% jump next round or the one after.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
fasti

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:12:48 PM

This might be coming a lot faster as the price is spiking up. The hashrate is going up a lot now too.

1QCcAR3e3wdxr7CcJ8ND1NmWuvLttCJScH
innervisi0nn

Activity: 98

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:15:45 PM

This might be coming a lot faster as the price is spiking up. The hashrate is going up a lot now too.

As long as the BTC price increases, you shouldnt be worrying about the difficulty.
If you arent finding any BTC's, just join a pool, steady 1-2 btc a day, price per BTC lets say goes to $12-$15, your still OK, unless the price per BTC drops rapidly (which it should, then pickup right after)

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

At the current block discovery rate, the difficulty level is going to be reset to 515,000 (plus or minus) at 3 PM next Monday, 6/6.

Matthew

I'm not totally sure where your numbers are coming from, but I'm fine with accepting them, CPU mining is a terribly wasteful application of resources anyway. I don't mean to be one of those eco-freakos but the application of 95-140W of electricity usage to gain a dollar or two x tens of thousands of people = massively wasteful use of limited resources.

When we all get some awesome solar energy generation or something go nuts, but til then I'll balk at super inefficient uses of power.
innervisi0nn

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:42:34 PM

Matthew

I'm not totally sure where your numbers are coming from, but I'm fine with accepting them, CPU mining is a terribly wasteful application of resources anyway. I don't mean to be one of those eco-freakos but the application of 95-140W of electricity usage to gain a dollar or two x tens of thousands of people = massively wasteful use of limited resources.

When we all get some awesome solar energy generation or something go nuts, but til then I'll balk at super inefficient uses of power.

http://blockexplorer.com/q/estimate

http://blockexplorer.com/q/ for more info

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:50:18 PM

Matthew

I meant more his calculations for profitability.
innervisi0nn

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:52:02 PM

Silly me Wink but I do agree with mining with a CPU will become a money-losing proposition.

Reckman

Activity: 711

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:00:37 PM

in all fairness, i'm actually pretty happy with this 516000 number, thats a small increase compared to that last difficulty bump
pokermon919

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:04:20 PM

in all fairness, i'm actually pretty happy with this 516000 number, thats a small increase compared to that last difficulty bump

Know what I'm saying! I was worried last increase that it'll keep being like that.
minerX

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:47:25 AM

Unless nVidia makes major changes to the way they handle OpenCL routines, profitability will go down to zero or worse first with CPU's, then nVidia GPU's and ultimately AMD/ATI GPU's.

In fact the only thing that can boost profitability if difficulty keeps rising is newer generations of AMD graphics cards that follow Moores law & double in performance every 1½ years.

You are completely wrong in your last paragraph.  AMD cards didn't follow Moores law from 5850 - 6950.  In fact they got WORSE for mining.  It would be a good guess they are moving away from "mining" type cards and I can't imagine we will see any huge increases in stream processors etc.  I think we've hit the cap for GPU mining.

AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 02:28:30 AM

Matthew

I meant more his calculations for profitability.

I guess you don't know me, but let's just say I'm one of the older members of this group, and I am very good about figuring out things like this.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate the profitability of mining with various cards/CPUs.

For electricity, I assumed 11 cents per kWh, which is the rate where I live. Wattage consumption figures couldn't get any more accurate -- I have a Kill-A-Watt meter. And hash rate is easily measure, as is the estimate of hash rate --> BTC earned on sites like deepbit.net. Then just plug in the current rate for BTC/USD and you're golden.

Matthew
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: