Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:41:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GreenAddress -- first coins disappear, now the entire website is down. Status???  (Read 469 times)
coinloser (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:56:48 PM

In short my question is -- does anyone know where to find the status of GreenAddress? It appears to have been offline for about 12 hours or so.

https://i.imgur.com/UIICTwo.png

In long --

I haven't had Bitcoins for a few years, due to an unfortunate series of events where I used too little security and they were stolen or I used too much security and I lost access. Recently I started selling a homemade product online and decided to give it another go.

Having learned from prior mistakes, I decided not to trust myself to keep offline wallets. Things get broken, lost, corrupted, etc. I hopped over to the breakdown of available wallets at https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet  and I chose Green Address.

It worked fine and was very fast when I received my coins from customers. Then, as I went to check the balance, I noticed a lot of "Internal Error" messages popping up, but it still seemed to work. I tried another browser and started getting messages saying that I was already logged in and asking me if I wanted to logout the other session. I assumed that this was the other browser I had used and said yes, but it still failed to log me in for about an hour or 2.

Eventually I got back into the account and all my bitcoins were gone  Cry . Moreover, the transaction history was totally blank  Huh. I assumed I had been robbed, though it's amazing as I have Norton's best security suite (and other network security software, like SNORT), my password was saved offline and my traffic is encrypted with Cisco VPN and the robber apparently discovered and robbed me in record time.

In another hour or 2 the entire website went offline and it hasn't come back online since. What's going on? Did I get robbed and this highly touted web wallet's site go offline for unrelated reasons? or did I not get robbed and the trouble is all on their end? If this is a major service shouldn't they have a separate status feed somewhere (but I can't find it)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:04:10 PM

If the site is down I am sure it will only be a temporary issue. The reason you seen no coins is that the returned response to find your coins may have failed (probably part of the reason the site is down)
coinloser (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:06:52 PM

Thanks, I really hope you're right.

I wish they'd at least give the status. Anyway, this is just a case of really bad timing I hope...
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:10:29 PM

They use 2 of 2 signatures.. would have to be a WONDROUS hacker to get a site that is not available to sign a transaction lol.

edit: its back now.
bri912678

Activity: 348

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:28:05 PM

It's back up for me now too.

I checked their twitter, facebook, and reddit but there is nothing they wrote about the outage on them. Even their blog doesn't mention it. There was a complaint posted on reddit about it but nothing directly from their support. They should communicate faster with their customers rather than stay silent if they go offline.
seedtrue
Legendary

Activity: 963
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:10:36 PM

In short my question is -- does anyone know where to find the status of GreenAddress? It appears to have been offline for about 12 hours or so.

--snip

In long --

I haven't had Bitcoins for a few years, due to an unfortunate series of events where I used too little security and they were stolen or I used too much security and I lost access. Recently I started selling a homemade product online and decided to give it another go.

Having learned from prior mistakes, I decided not to trust myself to keep offline wallets. Things get broken, lost, corrupted, etc. I hopped over to the breakdown of available wallets at https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet  and I chose Green Address.

It worked fine and was very fast when I received my coins from customers. Then, as I went to check the balance, I noticed a lot of "Internal Error" messages popping up, but it still seemed to work. I tried another browser and started getting messages saying that I was already logged in and asking me if I wanted to logout the other session. I assumed that this was the other browser I had used and said yes, but it still failed to log me in for about an hour or 2.

Eventually I got back into the account and all my bitcoins were gone  Cry . Moreover, the transaction history was totally blank  Huh. I assumed I had been robbed, though it's amazing as I have Norton's best security suite (and other network security software, like SNORT), my password was saved offline and my traffic is encrypted with Cisco VPN and the robber apparently discovered and robbed me in record time.

In another hour or 2 the entire website went offline and it hasn't come back online since. What's going on? Did I get robbed and this highly touted web wallet's site go offline for unrelated reasons? or did I not get robbed and the trouble is all on their end? If this is a major service shouldn't they have a separate status feed somewhere (but I can't find it)?

I am sorry for your loss, and hope you get them back. But I think you are missing an important part of bitcoin security advice.
You need to take better care of your wallets. Having an offline wallet(s) is a very important part of bitcoin security. Like people have said hundreds of times on this forum: If you do not have access to the private keys, you do not own the bitcoin associated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: