Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:31:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Antonopoulos still right?  (Read 1188 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:56:27 PM

You're absolutely right. This is a kind of confusing. But especially in the world of gaming or online content in general some creators like to build their kind of universe/ecosystem. And having an own currency then gives you a lot of control and if successful this currency might gain an increndible amount of monetary value.

I guess we'll see what pans out but I would've thought content and game creators would be far more turned on by sticking with BTC. That means their internal transactions are plugged in to a real global economy that's instantly accessible everywhere.

The internal virtual currencies that exist now exist only because there's no wider internet equivalent. Now there is. If they want stability then they can stick with what they have now that's pegged to the dollar. 

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 03:07:20 PM

In his presentations Antonopoulos said frequently that bitcoiners shouldn't worry about competition from altcoins because if an altcoin get some useful feature that gives its competitive advantage over bitcoin, bitcoin developers would just copy&paste this feature to the bitcoin code. It did make sense at the time.

However, I suspect that those times have gone. The whole agony of block size limit change shows that bitcoin code and bitcoin development infrastructure have already hardened and solidified to the point where any change, even as trivial, as block size limit, becomes difficult on the border of impossible. From now on we can assume that bitcoin code cannot be changed in any substantial way. No non-trivial feature, however important or competitive, cannot be added/modified anymore. Which means, chances of an altcoin replacing bitcoin becomes much more real. Which is bad news for everybody who invested in bitcoin heavily (financially, career-wise etc).

It's not trolling, I'm really concerned and I'll be happy if you can prove me wrong.

in some years we cant make anymore big changes, i guess you are right. that is a good thing. by that time, we will have bigger blocks, sidechains and other stuff which will do the improvements.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:19:10 PM

You're absolutely right. This is a kind of confusing. But especially in the world of gaming or online content in general some creators like to build their kind of universe/ecosystem. And having an own currency then gives you a lot of control and if successful this currency might gain an increndible amount of monetary value.

I guess we'll see what pans out but I would've thought content and game creators would be far more turned on by sticking with BTC.
That means their internal transactions are plugged in to a real global economy that's instantly accessible everywhere.

The internal virtual currencies that exist now exist only because there's no wider internet equivalent. Now there is. If they want stability then they can stick with what they have now that's pegged to the dollar. 

That's what I hope to see in the near future.
Even if they have their own coin like "pewdiepiecoin" for instance, as long as this is tied to Bitcoin I would be happy.  Smiley
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:40:32 PM

I was afraid of this bitcoin will end like this. Decentralization is great feature when everything works fine and there is no need for any changes.
Bitcoin must change in the future, changes to core protocol are inevitable, with this democracy style of making decisions we are really at disadvantage here.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 03:48:38 PM

I was afraid of this bitcoin will end like this. Decentralization is great feature when everything works fine and there is no need for any changes.
Bitcoin must change in the future, changes to core protocol are inevitable, with this democracy style of making decisions we are really at disadvantage here.

As time changes software tends to get solidified (as described by Antonopolous himself). So it means its unavoidable that as time passes, making changes to the core is harder and harder, so we'll have to make changes on top of it and deal with it.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: