Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:15:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Loaning - Is it worth it?  (Read 3469 times)
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:29:00 AM

I think it can be worth it as long as you never tried to loan without a collateral. though giving a small loan to a trusted member that can prove their ownership of the said account can be worth it as well.

Yes one shouldn't loan any amount without any proper collateral to make a profit from lending business. It is really profitable business if you manage well.
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:36:32 AM

I've found lending out BTC on Bitfinex to be easy and apparently risk-free (as far as that's possible). Bitfinex provide "total return swaps" - basically the lender sets a rate, amount and duration (say: 0.0055%, 1 BTC, 2 days) and waits for a borrower to accept (or the lender can set a rate that a borrower has already demanded).

Bitfinex cover the counterparty risk - the borrower is borrowing on margin, and Bitfinex will do a margin call if the borrower's position approaches the point beyond which they could pay you back.

Obviously there's still exchange risk - Bitfinex currently seem pretty solid, but the usual rules apply: spread your risk, keep on top of information about exchanges you're dealing with, etc.

I don't know what rates to expect elsewhere (I suspect rates probably are better elsewhere) but the 0.0055% rate seems to be the long-term trend. It's still better than the 0% rate I was getting before I moved (some of) my coins to Bitfinex! (And I've been luck so far and always managed to get better than 0.0055%).

(No connection with Bitfinex except as a satisfied customer).

Yeah, that's the catch -- does the interest rate on BTC swaps justify the exchange risk?

To me, having money on the exchange is for trading, because the potential returns are much, much higher. If BTC swaps could compete with USD swaps, return-wise, I would consider lending on BFX.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 05:38:59 AM

Hi,
So something I've been thinking about is lending Bitcoin. For me to conduct trades over Bitcoin Talk, I usually ask the other party pays first (which usually means the trades fall through).
  • Is it actually profitable?
  • Will I get scammed to death?
Cheers.
It's profitable if you know what you're doing and avoid giving out risky loans without collateral.
Be sure to read the sticky posts in the lending section before you start giving out loans to other members.

Shinpako09
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 01:56:42 PM

bitcoin loaning???thats kinda hard now..theres a lot of scammers
kevindurant

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:11:02 PM

bitcoin loaning???thats kinda hard now..theres a lot of scammers

That's not a valid reason. Given that logic swimming is dangerous, there are a lot of sharks.
You need to know how to protect yourself.

ajrah

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 02:19:50 PM

its worth it if you know how to spot a scammer or those who plan not to pay.
it would be wise to always use an escrow

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: