Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum is the future of crypto, bitcoin is not.  (Read 116461 times)
Sark

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:37:59 PM

Are there any useful smart contracts that working already? Or is this just proof of concept?

It is definitely beyond proof of concept, but its not really ready for prime time yet either.  Here is a list of currently public DApps live and in development: http://dapps.ethercasts.com/

Ethereum is definitely not another shitcoin. It's purpose is not as a currency at all, it is for fuel to run apps. If Bitcoin is gold, Ethere is Oil. That said, like any commodity, it can hold value and since it is easy to trade, it can certainly be used as a currency.

Honestly though, this bubble is happening WAY, WAY before it is supposed to. The Ethereum network is in "Frontier" release which was meant to be an alpha type release. The next release is "Homestead" which was supposed to be a stability focused beta type release, but Frontier was much more stable than originally anticipated so they are added some additional features instead.

Most of the major DApps are still in development and no one serious wants to launch prior to the Homestead release.

If we are really being honest here, the primary reason why Ethereum's price has shot up is likely Bitcoin people hedging their bets due to the uncertainty around the blockside debate and developer debate. Fear over forks and a bunch of other technical stuff that they do not understand. Ethereum looks like a relatively stable coin that can be used to hedge their position.

I am long on Ethereum, but considering selling now after this pump. Its value is supposed to come from contract execution fees, not from scared Bitcoin speculators.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 11:45:24 PM

eth is not designed to be a currency like bitcoin. it has totally different use case.

I'll guess that many here don't give the slightest shit about it being a currency. They just want to sell it for more than they paid for it. The most powerful demonstration of that would be ETH overtaking BTC without many realising that it's not actually a currency and it's effectively useless to most of them. It could well happen.

If the price of Ethers get too high, will dApps be that much more expensive to run? Does it work like that?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Sark

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:01:17 AM

If the price of Ethers get too high, will dApps be that much more expensive to run? Does it work like that?

Currently there is a default gas price so the cost does rise as the value of Ether rises.

In the next version, miners will be able to set whatever price they wish to accept so they can adjust to the market as needed.

By the end of the year, the plan is for miners to be able to take payment in a broad range of currency - anything that can be put into a smart contract I'd guess. I think Bitcoin using BtcRelay is the chief goal, but not necessarily limited to that.
tupelo

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:01:30 AM

Are there any useful smart contracts that working already?

Yeah there are quite a few already live on the Ethereum network

Check the DappsList: https://dappslist.com/dapps

It's obvious that most are still in development though, as this is still completely new technology
Fademigo

Activity: 201
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:43:25 AM

By the end of the year, the plan is for miners to be able to take payment in a broad range of currency - anything that can be put into a smart contract I'd guess. I think Bitcoin using BtcRelay is the chief goal, but not necessarily limited to that.

Does it mean the miner has to have many kinds of wallets if they want to take payments in a broad range of currency? It is difficult for home miner.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:53:58 AM

It's obvious that most are still in development though, as this is still completely new technology

These are my favourites so far:

https://app.augur.net/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/456abv/could_i_write_a_ponzi_scheme/

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:58:27 AM

These are my favourites so far:

https://app.augur.net/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/456abv/could_i_write_a_ponzi_scheme/

Those haven't been scaled yet and they can't be because Ethereum can't be scaled decentralized. Moreover Ethereum will blow up because it violates the fact that the speed-of-light isn't infinite.

n00bs are easily fooled by what they don't understand about the technology. "Oh I see Dapps, therefor Ethereum works". Sorry that is not correct.

Unilevear

Activity: 102

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:03:24 AM

I think Ethereum and Bitcoin are complementary. One is a currency, the other is a currency as well as a trading platform.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:04:43 AM

I think Ethereum and Bitcoin are complementary. One is a currency, the other is a currency as well as a trading platform.

One sort of works (Bitcoin) and the other one can't possibly work and is a lie.

Bemerand

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:27:13 PM

Do you mean the bitcoin will work and the Ethereum does not work in its present form? Will further development change that?

88.36255237114% of all ICO's are SCAMS
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:37:17 PM

Do you mean the bitcoin will work and the Ethereum does not work in its present form? Will further development change that?

Ethereum can't be fixed. No general purpose programmable smart contract block chain can be fixed. One might be able to design some very limited hard-coded contracts that are carefully studied, but even these  are very likely to produce the fundamental errors around commutativity, deadlocks, and other issues that plague distributed systems. It is simply impossible to have different people coding scripts and not have them blow up in pile of disorder.

The universe will not tolerate a total ordering, else our universe would not exist because the future would be predetermined by the past. Or stated another way, the speed-of-light would be infinite and the past and future would collapse into an infinitesimal point.

Bitcoin's scaling problem has potential technical solutions that aren't perfect but may work well enough in practice. However, the politics around Bitcoin suggests to me that the solution will come in an altcoin not in Bitcoin, but we will have to wait and see on the outcome.

Note the math wizard behind Synereo (Greg Meredith) has proposed a design for contracts that is enforced by social engineering (the cascade of individualized actions/partial orderings are expected to adhere to some social function) rather than by an enforced global ordering. I have my doubts about the applicability of this idea and it is certainly no where near what people mean now when they say "smart contract" on a global ledger.

Fademigo

Activity: 201
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:09:25 AM

I heard some companies is going to build a smart contract system based on Bitcoin, will that also not work?
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 05:49:57 PM

I heard some companies is going to build a smart contract system based on Bitcoin, will that also not work?

Rootstock.io does and they just got funds...

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/coinsilium-investment-rootstock/

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:14:42 PM

i sure find ethereum with cool features and i think it can be a successful altcoin in the future when the pumping stops but it is not going to replace a big coin which has been here from the beginning called bitcoin

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
asrilani

Activity: 206

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:24:23 PM

ETH will allow $2T of underground economy to become more structured (and possibly less underground) through DAOs.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/23/americas-2-trillion-shadow-economy-is-the-recessions-big-winner/

If it captures 1% of that $2T, it is equivalent to $20B, which would put ETH somewhere around $150. Those who sell for $2 will shit bricks, eat sand and may even commit suicide in the years to come. If it captures 10% of that ETH will be $1500. I know it sounds crazy, but so did the Internet in 1995.

Once it's launched their main focus will be on scalability, which I think is the real reason crypto is not ready for mainstream. Once they can handle 100K TPS (and I'm sure they will), it's game over.

Ethereum is not just a currency, it is also a trading platform for smart contracts. Do you mean the criminal will use Ethereum for their crime contracts?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:44:58 PM

More junk.

Btw, Sergio had an error in his DAG white paper. He isn't perfect.

I guess investors don't yet understand the a programmable block chain can't be partitioned thus it can't be scaled. Eventually these Blockstream guys will realize I am correct.

stoat

Activity: 686
Merit: 270

FREEDOM RESERVE

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 06:47:37 PM

More junk.

When are you going to bring out the perfect crypto?  I can't wait til you code that piece of crap.  I will dedicate a considerable amount of my time to FUDing it down from a great height, assuming you ever get round to doing anything apart from type out useless paragraphs of mental masturbation on these forums.

FREEDOMRESERVEFree currency for the British Isles
Visit our website for more info

<-- Click here!
FREEDOMRESERVE By the People and for the People
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:49:28 PM

I will dedicate a considerable amount of my time to FUDing

The free promotion will be much appreciated.

rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:53:31 PM

I would not want to bet on Ethereum's future.  

Once the money runs out and Eth becomes a community project(as Vitalik has already stated) things will get very quiet on the Ethereum front.

https://blog.ethereum.org/2015/09/28/the-evolution-of-ethereum/

"The foundation and its subsidiaries alone simply do not have the manpower to push the entirety of this vision through to its ultimate completion, including proof-of-stake driven scalable blockchains, seamlessly integrated distributed hash tables, programming languages with formal verification systems backed by state-of-the-art theorem provers and dozens of categories of middleware, all by itself; although the foundation and its subsidiaries can, and will, continue to be the primary driver of technology at the core, a highly community-driven model is necessary and essential, both to help the Ethereum ecosystem maximally grow and flourish and to establish Ethereum as a decentralized project which is ultimately owned by all of humanity, and not any one group."

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 07:10:44 PM

programming languages with formal verification systems backed by state-of-the-art theorem provers

Ah so Vitalik does realize there is a problem like the sort I am pointing out. But perhaps he has not yet realized that even 100% dependently typed scripting won't fix the problem I am claiming is inherently insoluble.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 124 »
  Print  

Jump to: