Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:02:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: paper bitcoins coming soon  (Read 7626 times)
drewdtom (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

You can't stop the signal

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 02:09:08 AM

Hello, I have been playing around with the paper bitcoin generator application on this thread and have some questions...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=98971.0;all

Can't post in that thread as a newbie... Lips sealed

I guess Ill PM the creator...

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

I support Bitcoin Not Bombs!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:33:51 AM

or ask them here - some Bitcoin business operators keep an eye on newbies forum or someone can quote you in that thread.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:43:42 AM

Hi Mike,

I have been playing around with your paper bitcoin bank note generator and am having some fun, I created some of my own designs and am ready to print.

Can you help me understand how I would make a bulk batch payment to a set of notes with your "send many command file"

Maybe you could just point me to more information on how to do this. I did not see anything on any of the threads I was reading.

Thanks! I'll link you to my new nots when I post on my website later  Grin

Sure, it requires that you have bitcoind running as a daemon on your computer.  How you do that depends on what kind of computer you're running.  It may also require that you create an "rpcpassword" config setting in a file (I don't know it off the top of my head, but just search the forums for that).  Once you have it running, you should be able to issue commands like "bitcoind getbalance" at the terminal window and see your wallet balance.

Once you're there, the batch command is simply a bitcoind command that funds your whole batch of paper bills in a single transaction in the denomination you entered.  Paste it into your terminal to run it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:58:18 AM

OK, Thanks, that's a bit over my head but some good google search terms...

I'm also working on a back side to the note that would help people understand how to redeem them, I'm thinking that these make a great promotional tools for people who don't really know how it all works but are curious and want to get involved. I'll be giving them away, maybe sell a few or whatever comes up in person.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back.

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 05:07:32 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
is a good resource for info on commands when running bitcoind Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 08:07:14 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2012, 08:59:03 AM by drewdtom

Thanks Graet! I have been reading the wiki and some posts I found on here, I have bitcoin-qt running on my macbook now so Ill pick this up in the AM, Have some very sexy looking bit-notes to print! this should make for a fun weekend project.

shamoons

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 02:10:37 PM

My question is why would anyone want paper bitcoins? What's the purpose and value add for this? It's an overhead that's not needed as far as I can tell.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 03:22:10 PM

My question is why would anyone want paper bitcoins? What's the purpose and value add for this? It's an overhead that's not needed as far as I can tell.

For an easy way to give bitcoins to someone without an electronic wallet handy, or to spend at a retail store or vending machine that is set up to scan and capture the coins.  A way to keep real bitcoins in your fiat wallet.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
johnnyb

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 04:02:15 PM

Hello, I have been playing around with the paper bitcoin generator application on this thread and have some questions...

Can't post in that thread as a newbie... Lips sealed

I guess Ill PM the creator...

Interesting idea! Like to see how it pans out in the future!
shamoons

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 04:30:36 PM

For an easy way to give bitcoins to someone without an electronic wallet handy, or to spend at a retail store or vending machine that is set up to scan and capture the coins.  A way to keep real bitcoins in your fiat wallet.

Maybe, but I'm not sure if that's needed. If machines are set up to scan and capture coins from paper, then why not set them up to accept electronically as well. Plus, why would I want to keep real bitcoins in my fiat wallet? I can't secure them as safely as I can in my electronic world.

I'm just sharing my .02BTC.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 05:51:40 PM

Maybe, but I'm not sure if that's needed. If machines are set up to scan and capture coins from paper, then why not set them up to accept electronically as well.

How long does it take to hand someone an object and have the barcode scanned?  This happens every day at the grocery store.

Compare to how long it takes to turn on your phone, open an app, scan the payment address, enter the amount, blah blah blah.  And that assumes you have good internet.

shamoons

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:18:44 PM

What about the Bitcoin card for this purpose? I may be wrong, but I think applying old paradigms to new technology is not Always the best way.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 10:29:14 PM

What about the Bitcoin card for this purpose? I may be wrong, but I think applying old paradigms to new technology is not Always the best way.

That's perfect for receiving bitcoins.  This is for giving them away, especially to someone who doesn't already have a bitcoin wallet.

Kontakt

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:51:37 AM

Paper seems like a nice idea, but really tricky to manage. Do you really think it's viable long term?
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 05:25:06 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 06:37:33 AM by drewdtom

I understand most of the technical concerns and know that this is not the safest way to spend/receive bitcoins, but my idea is education, to give someone a very small amount of bitcoins just to get them interested and a good place to start.

The cost of printing is justified by the promotional aspect of the design.

http://donttreadonmeme.com/?p=744

Still working on the batch pay, but Im getting closer Smiley

sudukibiras

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 08:21:31 AM

Hmm,paper bitcoins.I don't think this is possible  Huh
Mausini

Activity: 177

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 09:37:21 AM

imo the concept of a paper bitcoin note is quite misleading. instead of being a durable vehicle for transferring value, this is rather a cheque for one-time transactions. after the private key on the note is "used", the note is worthless and can be disposed. Having a "real" wallet full of used and unused notes makes not a lot of sense to me. You would have to shred used notes or something like stamp them off. Im not saying this is a bad idea, but wouldnt you need an additional mechanism / authorization to "virtualize" the bitocoins from a paper note to the blockchain than just sanning the private keyon the note? Or in other words, wouldnt it be quite scary for someone to be able to steal my fiat dollars by just looking at them?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 01:04:17 PM

Someone else mentioned voucher as being a better term for them and they might be right.

For the sake of what kind of art I wanted designed at the time I started the "design a bitcoin banknote" thread, I did get exactly what I wanted.  But if we come to a consensus that it would be better understood as a voucher, then that's what it is...

NodEx

Activity: 20

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:44:45 PM

If we get into paper bitcoins, then inevitably paper bitcoin counterfeiting will follow.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:50:42 PM

You don't need to use bitcoind. Bitcoin-qt can send to multiple recipients also.
Just press the Add Recipient button at the bottom left corner on the Send Coins tab of Bitcoin-qt.
You can add as many recipients(addresses) as you wish. It will send everything on one transaction only.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: