Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:57:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 BTC lost because of blank passphrase  (Read 8203 times)
Mayer Amschel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:13:07 AM

Oh bummer  Angry

Hours

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:27:37 AM

So was sending it to the empty string wallet a double spend or was the transaction out of the wallet a double spend?
GermanGiant (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 01:37:45 PM

So was sending it to the empty string wallet a double spend or was the transaction out of the wallet a double spend?

Of course the transaction out of the wallet is double spend.
faridkifly

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:13:35 PM

It was a well known brain wallet address, either it was a mistake or done on purpose. If it was a mistake I feel sorry for the person, but sending that large amounts you would double check everything before you sent.
Yeah I think so.
Double check is important, but a lot of people is lazy.. They don't want to check it and they lost their btc Cry
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:17:59 PM

You should say "at least 4 bots attempted to clean it out".
bc.i does not show all conflicting transactions  Grin
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:19:53 PM

There are bots and hackers sending those bots inspecting around finding for gaps to get in and steal your BTC. Never leave a wallet without strong encryption, lesson learned the hard way. You didn't deserve 50 BTC being lost tho, thats too much money.
TinEye

Activity: 639

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:26:02 PM

It was a well known brain wallet address, either it was a mistake or done on purpose. If it was a mistake I feel sorry for the person, but sending that large amounts you would double check everything before you sent.
Yeah I think so.
Double check is important, but a lot of people is lazy.. They don't want to check it and they lost their btc Cry

what about adding a future like that in the client? could in theory the client say to you if you're sending to an address on which the transaction has suffered from a double spend, the same thing you see on the blockchain, in red

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 02:33:55 PM

what about adding a future like that in the client? could in theory the client say to you if you're sending to an address on which the transaction has suffered from a double spend, the same thing you see on the blockchain, in red
Let us ask developers to put in client and publish on web the list of compromised addresses with their private keys. Grin
mrbrt

Activity: 707

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:04:34 PM

I was under the impression there are bots out there dedicated to scanning for obvious brain wallets. That's the most obvious one of all by the sounds of it. Goodnight, sweet coins.

There are bots which scans famous quotes, bible quotes, song lyrics, everything a person can think of plus small mutations. I feel sorry for anyone who lost coins this way. Any brainwallet generated from phrases just aren't safe, people have to learn their lesson the hard way.

Thats why I would never, ever store my main stack within something that can be generated out of thin air. There's no way im ever moving my coins from my local offline hardware unless I want to have spare BTC on my mycellium wallet. Brainwallet sounds good but better stay a paranoid and go good ol offline.

How exactly do you think your "offline addresses" are generated? Do you audit the RNGs of the address generators you use?

Generating the proper amount of entropy for a brainwallet is trivial and verifiable and by their very definition, brainwallets are generated and stored offline.
mrbrt

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:07:23 PM

There are bots and hackers sending those bots inspecting around finding for gaps to get in and steal your BTC. Never leave a wallet without strong encryption, lesson learned the hard way. You didn't deserve 50 BTC being lost tho, thats too much money.

Encryption is irrelevant if you aren't using an adequate amount of entropy.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:26:40 PM

maybe someone created a brainwallet but it had the mistake not to create it with ha passphrase
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 06:50:10 PM

Can someone explain to me why anyone would even use a brain wallet? They seem like the least secure wallet out there, what would be the advantage?
mrbrt

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:17:08 PM

Can someone explain to me why anyone would even use a brain wallet? They seem like the least secure wallet out there, what would be the advantage?

Read this:
http://www.contravex.com/2014/03/14/on-making-high-entropy-bitcoin-paper-wallets/

He goes the extra step and actually prints the wallet out (with the private key), so memorizing the passphrase isn't necessary, but it is the steps he takes in generating the address in the first place that are important.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:28:05 PM

How would one guess a random 15 word string, the words only ever input on an offline computer.
mrbrt

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:39:33 PM

How would one guess a random 15 word string, the words only ever input on an offline computer.

It's possible (likely?) if you don't use a system that generates true randomness - like diceware.
smiletyson

Activity: 661
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:42:38 PM

There's only 1 advantage: "Easy to remember the priv key".
But it's the most vulnerable part of it.
If you can remember it easily then someone else can hack/guess it easily.
mrbrt

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:51:25 PM

There's only 1 advantage: "Easy to remember the priv key".
But it's the most vulnerable part of it.
If you can remember it easily then someone else can hack/guess it easily.

Mmm no. Do you understand what I mean when I say you can verify the amount of entropy? And, also do you even diceware?
tearfereon

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 07:54:44 PM

And lucky thief is this: https://blockchain.info/address/1A6Ei5cRfDJ8jjhwxfzLJph8B9ZEthR9Z
I wonder why the other "double spenders" didn't pay more tx fee? They would have more chance to claim it..
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:51:01 PM

maybe someone created a brainwallet but it had the mistake not to create it with ha passphrase

Madness. To send any coins to a Brainwallet without being thoroughly satisfied with the way in which the keys have been generated is madness.

Painful for the former owner(s) of the coins, and a job well done to the opportunist recipient.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:19:57 PM

Portability.   Immunity from hardware failures.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: