Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:57:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Second hand S5 for Bitmain, are they worth ?  (Read 4000 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:22:13 PM

Hi everyone ! Today I saw that Bitmain was selling S5s for 391 USD. But they have already been used. Is it a problem ? What are their estimated lifetimes ?
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 10:40:29 PM

According to Bitmain they have been used for 40~ days and handled by them, so if the unit you receive was actually handled professionally and properly used and then packaged back to you, the unit should be fine and if it ran 40 days, it might have weeded out a good portion of the defective units.

I ordered a used unit so, if you want, i could report back when i get it, but i am not sure when i'll get it. I picked UPS as option since it was cheaper but i don't know which international service it use. It is possible i get it this week. (Maybe)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 11:25:08 PM

Yes it worth
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:56:11 PM

According to Bitmain they have been used for 40~ days and handled by them, so if the unit you receive was actually handled professionally and properly used and then packaged back to you, the unit should be fine and if it ran 40 days, it might have weeded out a good portion of the defective units.

I ordered a used unit so, if you want, i could report back when i get it, but i am not sure when i'll get it. I picked UPS as option since it was cheaper but i don't know which international service it use. It is possible i get it this week. (Maybe)

Yes it worth

Thank you guys. But it says that their last ship is August 5th, so I'll not be able to have your testimony. I'll trust you and order one, thank you  Wink.

Edit : they changed the description. Now it says that they will ship after August 14th.
gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:04:23 PM

Dear friend you will be sure that it works.

Does it worth?It depends on your parameters (electricity price, rent, etc).

For me, yes it worths.I recommend you check warranty issues.

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:06:33 PM

When I said worth, I asked if the S5 will not die after only 2-3 monthes. And it seems that it will not.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:09:54 PM

Yes it worth

Thank you guys. But it says that their last ship is August 5th, so I'll not be able to have your testimony. I'll trust you and order one, thank you  Wink.

Edit : they changed the description. Now it says that they will ship after August 14th.

Yeah the pre August 5th "batch" sold out i guess. They are rolling out batches of used S5 so yeah, they are rolling in batches of S#Unknowns.

When I said worth, I asked if the S5 will not die after only 2-3 monthes. And it seems that it will not.

It is possible, the failure rate of S5 is a few %, but if the unit was ran for a while, the life expectancy will be partially used but the odds of it lasting its life is higher, since you remove the DoA/near instant death from the failure rate %.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Minerkev

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:15:05 PM

I can buy myself a new car, drive 1000km and sell it to you for the price like new ones...its second hand no worries Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:17:41 PM

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:22:50 PM

I can buy myself a new car, drive 1000km and sell it to you for the price like new ones...its second hand no worries Wink

Yeah and they really picked the worse term "Second Hand" to say the units are used. "Only used for 40 days in our farm!". Haha =/

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.

If you pay less for electricity than them, sure? It's still ethically dubious... With the home miner dying and the hash centralizing, it look like they arent even making the effort to hide what they're doing. They could have put them back through QR, cleaned them and sold them as refurbished, but no... They aren't even bothering, they are selling units they ran in their own farm (so they says themselves) and aren't even bothering cleaning them etc. xD

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:29:24 PM

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.

If you pay less for electricity than them, sure? It's still ethically dubious... With the home miner dying and the hash centralizing, it look like they arent even making the effort to hide what they're doing. They could have put them back through QR, cleaned them and sold them as refurbished, but no... They aren't even bothering, they are selling units they ran in their own farm (so they says themselves) and aren't even bothering cleaning them etc. xD

It depends on what the cleaning is.  If it's just the fan and finds of heatsink I don't mind doing the cleaning if it would save me money.  But if it's so bad it's down to thermal paste I would prefer not to clean.

Are you serious on the pay less electricity then them?  I have no idea what bitmain is paying.... but I doubt many hobby miners can come close.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:36:06 PM

It depends on what the cleaning is.  If it's just the fan and finds of heatsink I don't mind doing the cleaning if it would save me money.  But if it's so bad it's down to thermal paste I would prefer not to clean.

Are you serious on the pay less electricity then them?  I have no idea what bitmain is paying.... but I doubt many hobby miners can come close.

I am serious, but it is also rhetorical for most. Unless you pay a flat fee for your electricity or you find another way of having "free" electricity, you probably cannot compete, no.

I hope there's no need to mess with the thermal paste, that would be icky as hell, but the user that reported the miners being "dirty as hell" was indeed just the heatsink i believe. It's true its not a big deal but how much effort really would it have been for them to take 1.3 seconds to blow the dust away with compressed air?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:37:07 PM

Yeah with the productions scale these guys have and the fact they are in china, i bet they are paying dirt cheap for power
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 02:49:40 PM

Daily update; Bitmain still hasnt shipped pre august 5 date. The text said "No later than 5th august" so they're not technically late yet but i'm not particularly impressed by the shipping time at the moment.

If it hasnt shipped by the time i wake up tomorrow, i wonder what i will do, since it will be 6th august in China.
Should i argue that i paid before they closed the thread and changed the text to "Shipping starts from August 14th after receiving full payment."?

I wonder what they would reply, but i hope it doesnt come to that. 9+ more days of waiting would be unacceptable.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:39:58 PM

Daily update; Bitmain still hasnt shipped pre august 5 date. The text said "No later than 5th august" so they're not technically late yet but i'm not particularly impressed by the shipping time at the moment.

If it hasnt shipped by the time i wake up tomorrow, i wonder what i will do, since it will be 6th august in China.
Should i argue that i paid before they closed the thread and changed the text to "Shipping starts from August 14th after receiving full payment."?

I wonder what they would reply, but i hope it doesnt come to that. 9+ more days of waiting would be unacceptable.

bitmain is really solid about their shipping schedule. I would be really surprise they don't honor their date.
kodokbuduk

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:32:40 AM

Bitmain is selling their used S5 because i think they are upgrading to S7. They got S7 already. So they are using new S7 and sell that used S5, hundred or may be thousand of them...
So is it really worth it?? I dont think so..if they are releasing S7 now, they wont be able to sell used S5 at this price...or may be no one is looking for it..Wait for S7!
kodokbuduk

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:25:19 AM

Yes it worth

Better not.. dont buy used S5. Bitmain is mining aswell, using S5 (hundred may be thousands of them). They are upgrading to new S7... So they are selling their used S5/refurbish S5 first till all gone, then they are releasing new S7 to the public.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:49:16 PM

bitmain is really solid about their shipping schedule. I would be really surprise they don't honor their date.

Looks like you were right, they shipped today. So they honored the "no later than 5th august" for me that bought hours before they closed the sell offer and changed to August 14th.

It's my first time buying directly from Bitmain, but regardless i'm rather distrustful so i'd say this is a good start point with my experience with Bitmain, even though it could had been a bit faster.

It look like i will be able to give a mini review on the state of the S5. So far it look like it was 50$~ more than if i had picked up some S5 offer from seller in the US, i hope the coupon they give to those who buy used S5 cover the fact that they are actually used unit.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:00:19 PM

Bitmain is selling their used S5 because i think they are upgrading to S7. They got S7 already. So they are using new S7 and sell that used S5, hundred or may be thousand of them...
So is it really worth it?? I dont think so..if they are releasing S7 now, they wont be able to sell used S5 at this price...or may be no one is looking for it..Wait for S7!

Will it not have the S6 before ? And when the S6 (or S7) will be out ? Also I think it will be more expensive.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:27:04 AM

Will it not have the S6 before ? And when the S6 (or S7) will be out ? Also I think it will be more expensive.

No the S6 is going to be skipped, for now the S4+ is it. Those a rack mounted format. Maybe they will go back to S6 for the next gen rack mount ASIC but they said they would announce the S7 SoonTM.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 09:52:32 AM

No the S6 is going to be skipped, for now the S4+ is it. Those a rack mounted format. Maybe they will go back to S6 for the next gen rack mount ASIC but they said they would announce the S7 SoonTM.

Ok. I didn't know this, but I'll buy the S5.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 10:09:42 AM

If you have electric in the 5 cent/KWH or less range, those S5s should ROI - though not by a lot - before the bitcoin block rewards gets halved next summer and most current-gen miners get uneconomical or barely break-even even with cheap electric.

Worse case, the miner itself will probaly ROI but you'll still be underwater a little on the power supply for it - which you can then use on a newer machine.

If your electric is over 8 cents/KWH I doubt you'll get ROI on the S5 itself ever - only way that would happen would be for bitcoin value to increase faster than diffuculty for the next several months.

The RATE of difficulty increases has gone up a LOT in the last month, compared to the first half of the year, while the value of Bitcoin had a jump during the Greek crisis but seems to be slowly settling back down some. I'd anticipate another jump in the month or so before the halfing occurs, but I don't see a high probability of any other event that will enhance Bitcoin value in the next year.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:29:50 PM

According to supply and demand theorem, if the award is halved then the BTC price must be doubled.

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:42:04 PM

According to supply and demand theorem, if the award is halved then the BTC price must be doubled.

That ignores the existing millions of coins as part of the "supply". I also have yet to see any cogent explanation of what constitutes Bitcoin "demand". The usual Supply and Demand stuff would be great, except I see no serious way to quantify either.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 10:45:09 PM

Wrong way to see it. The demand doesn't double as soon as a halving happens, it pretty much stays the same, so does the price.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:38:11 AM

That ignores the existing millions of coins as part of the "supply". I also have yet to see any cogent explanation of what constitutes Bitcoin "demand". The usual Supply and Demand stuff would be great, except I see no serious way to quantify either.

the majority of those coins are in holding mode, so they are freezed, useless for calculating demand and supply ratio, which was in favor of demand until few days ago, what i'm thinking when the price crush a bit is that the demand is decreased and not that the supply was more stronger...

if you can have enough data on all exchange, about how many coins are bought and how much are sold, you can have your estimation about exact number for supply and demand

this can be true after you compare the % of dumped coins from miners, with the % of the actual total dumped coins each day, and see how much is this % in comparison with the latter

and all this assuming that demand remain the same...
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:04:08 PM

I received mine.

Minor and Potential issues aside, the unit perform well, and is very efficient. Overclocking a bit does not reduce efficiency, it actually improve it by a little bit. I'm running longer tests now but i think this is because the Hashrate/W efficiency stays the same but the fan does not run faster, so there is a very minor efficiency gain while overclocking to up to 400~

Also its loud as hell. I posted a graph with numbers if you're a number person.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151326.0

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:38:32 PM

I received mine.

Minor and Potential issues aside, the unit perform well, and is very efficient. Overclocking a bit does not reduce efficiency, it actually improve it by a little bit. I'm running longer tests now but i think this is because the Hashrate/W efficiency stays the same but the fan does not run faster, so there is a very minor efficiency gain while overclocking to up to 400~

Thanks for posting and letting us know what this "used" batch is like.    It is a interesting batch to say the least.

And yes the S5 has some sound and heat to it.   It is not made to be in a area needing a quiet miner really.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:48:04 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 06:27:06 PM by VirosaGITS

I received mine.

Thanks for posting and letting us know what this "used" batch is like.    It is a interesting batch to say the least.

And yes the S5 has some sound and heat to it.   It is not made to be in a area needing a quiet miner really.

Mhm, i'm hardcore however, i am running this in my living room, along with other stuff. xD

Anyways, the summer is ending fairly soon, thus in 2 or so months i'll be able to just open the window to get an ambient temp of 10C, at which point i can use stock fan at lower speed and get very low temps.

But for the next summer, I will have to go with the mods i've seen. The one that make them near silent and much cooler than stock fan running at full blast. Maybe get some printed enclosures too.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 05:55:50 PM

Hi everyone ! Today I saw that Bitmain was selling S5s for 391 USD. But they have already been used. Is it a problem ? What are their estimated lifetimes ?

they guarantee that its working (minus a few scratches), and all my experiences with bitmain have been good. the profitablity on the s5 are very good... for now

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

2local
Sustainability and Prosperity.
Pre sale is going on
...J O I N...
...Whitepaper...
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌

I   E   O IN Livecoin.net  Probit  P2pPb2b from 11/02/2020
2local Sale
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:03:20 PM

There is an already existing LARGE supply of Bitcoin though, the block reward just adds a very small amount to the supply.

The pair of used S5s I got from Bitmain were clean, and in generally good shape. The shipping packaging wasn't great, but the only damage was a couple of fins on the bottom of each heatsink bent up a little, trivial to "fix" and would probably have worked OK without "fixing" them.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 08:57:25 PM

There is an already existing LARGE supply of Bitcoin though, the block reward just adds a very small amount to the supply.

The pair of used S5s I got from Bitmain were clean, and in generally good shape. The shipping packaging wasn't great, but the only damage was a couple of fins on the bottom of each heatsink bent up a little, trivial to "fix" and would probably have worked OK without "fixing" them.

while 14 or 15 million bitcoins are mined.

Many are lost.
 Many have been frozen in place for years.

So to think the available supply is 14 or 15 million is wrong.

I would think at least 1,000,000  are frozen and not available. 

I would think at least 1,000,000 are lost.

And of the remaining 12-13 million many are being held as speculation.

Try listing  the top 10 exchanges and you will see volume of a few million tops.  So 7000 coins each day vs 3500 coins after ½ may be as much as a 2 to 5% each day.  So 20 to 30% price jump would not be out of order.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

I figure there will be a jump in the month before the halfing - based on speculation.

I dunno if the price will STAY higher a couple months or more past that though. Some of the jump might stick, but I'd hate to bet on all of it doing so.

Longterm, I believe bitcoin will slowly increase in price - possibly even beating inflation.

There is of course the possibility of someone with a large number doing a "dump and pump" or "pump and dumb" and bouncing the price at ANY point, or multiple points.

majestymage

Activity: 994
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 07:14:47 AM

are they gone...

██████
                                             ██████▄▄
                                             ██████  ▀▀▀▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄▄▄▄                             ▄▀ █ ▀▄         █▀████
         █████          ████             ▄▀   █   ▀▄     ▄▀   █
         █████          ████       ▄▄▄▄▄▀     █     ▀▄ ▄▀    █
       ▄▀     █         █▀▄█▀▄     █████     █       ▄▀▄    █
     ▄▀        ▀▄      █▄█▄▄█▄▀█▀▀▀█████     █     ▄▀   ▀▄ █
█████      ▄▄▄▄▄██▀▀▀▀█ █   ▀▄  ▀▄   █ █     █   ▄▀     █████
████████▀▀▀       █  █  █    █    ▀▄█   █  ████▄▀       █████
█████   ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▀█  █      █    █▀▄   █▄████         ▄▀
                  ▀█▀▀███     ▀▄  █  ▄█▀▀  █          ▄▀
                  █  ▄▀▀▀      █ █▄▀▀  ▀▀▄  █       ▄▀
             ░█████▄▀         ████        ▀▀▄█    ▄▀
              █████           ████▀▀▀▄▄▄      ███████
              ▀▀▀▀▀                     ▀▀▀▄▄▄███████
                                              ███████
                                              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
/iTEX/./INNOVATING TRADING EXCHANGE/.
/Whitepaper/ /Sign Up/ /Buy Token Now/

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  ████ ▀███████▀    ▀██████
 █████▌  ▀▀███        ▄█████
▐██████▄             ▐██████▌
▐█████▄               ██████▌
▐███████▄            ███████▌
 ███████▄          ▄████████
  ████████       ▄█████████
   █████▀   ▄▄▄███████████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  ████████████████▀▀▀ ▐████
 ███████████▀▀▀  ▄█▀  ██████
▐█████▀▀▀      ▄█▀    ██████▌
▐███▄▄▄    ▄▄██▀     ███████▌
▐████████ ███▀       ███████▌
 ████████▌█          ███████
  ████████ ▄▄██▄    ███████
   ███████████████▄ ██████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀

▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
      ▄███████████████▄
    ▄███████████████████▄
   ███████████████████████
  █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
 █████     ▄▄          █████
▐█████     ████▄▄      █████▌
▐█████     ████████    █████▌
▐█████     ████▀▀      █████▌
 █████     ▀▀          █████
  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
   ███████████████████████
    ▀███████████████████▀
      ▀███████████████▀
         ▀▀▀█████▀▀▀
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:08:17 PM

Bitmain might be switching "batch shipping date" again, there was about a day gap between when they finished up the sales on the "August 5" batch and started sales on the "August 14" batch where none were shown as available. Check back again in a few hours. If none are up for sale by the end of tomorrow, things MIGHT get real interesting.

They might also have messed up the website a bit when they added that wierd "PACMC" thing, and they're supposed to be adding the S5+ tomorrow to their main site.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 04:13:01 PM

Look like you were right.

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150725135246063Xsvs9J9J06AE

Green for me right now.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:14:22 PM

The problem for me now is that I still need to buy the BTC. I need approximatively 1,5 BTC but with credit card it's problematic :/.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:28:47 PM

The problem for me now is that I still need to buy the BTC. I need approximatively 1,5 BTC but with credit card it's problematic :/.

No one you can buy Bitcoin from, or not ready to afford the cost on services such as Circle?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 10:15:36 PM

No one you can buy Bitcoin from, or not ready to afford the cost on services such as Circle?

Not everybody lives in the US.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 10:23:04 PM

Is there no equivalent in your nation? It could be a good business opportunity to be the first in your area if you can get the seed money.

I don't live in the US. So that's not a very good reply to my comment. If you elaborate then maybe i/we can help.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:37:28 PM

Is there no equivalent in your nation? It could be a good business opportunity to be the first in your area if you can get the seed money.

I live in France, there's a service which is equivalent but which is limited to 100€/week/user. Plus it needs to have the 3D Secure enabled, something I don't have.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:42:09 PM

I live in France, there's a service which is equivalent but which is limited to 100€/week/user. Plus it needs to have the 3D Secure enabled, something I don't have.

Well then come to #cryptofr on freenode, i'm sure several users there can help you.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
GigaBit

Activity: 1526
Merit: 506

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:41:12 PM

I got me a second hand miner; I'm glad they do still offer the option because I move a lot of product and S5's are a hot commodity right now.
Plus, there's my own mine I need to upgrade constantly.... but I still run S1/S3's still.
It's like buying a second hand car from the OEM dealer, they will give you a problem free car... or as close as it gets.
I like this better than new because you save a bit off day one and the unit came off of a production line; working the same day it was boxed.
So I know I get a working tool... cuts away from DoA's or outright lemons.... which happens a lot in this industry, not just Bitmain.

I wished Bitmain had done that on S3's..... I don't think I'm going to sell any anymore, they are prolific AltCoin block finders.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
usenet

Activity: 133

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:04:55 AM

Has anyone can share information regarding secondhand s5 ? What hardware version is sent out?

v1.1   2014-12-03
v1.3   2014-12-15
v1.5   2014-12-20
v1.7   2014-12-22
v1.9   2015-01-08
v1.91  2015-03-28
v1.91  2015-03-28 -With mini heatsinks

Thanks.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:24:00 AM

Has anyone can share information regarding secondhand s5 ? What hardware version is sent out?

v1.1   2014-12-03
v1.3   2014-12-15
v1.5   2014-12-20
v1.7   2014-12-22
v1.9   2015-01-08
v1.91  2015-03-28
v1.91  2015-03-28 -With mini heatsinks

Thanks.

Hello, if you tell me where to look i'll tell you. Unless its on the Controller, not the PCB. The controller says 1.5.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
usenet

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:16:18 AM

The designation is given in the upper right corner of hashing board.
In the following topic you find photographs:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151460.20
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:58:39 AM

Hah i see, its written very small on my PCB so i missed it in my haste.

They are latest, 1.91 without mini heatsinks. (Read: from 1 miner)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
usenet

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:14:03 AM

Thanks,
I was afraid that sell older equipment . So for now this is the last version .
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:15:17 AM

Thanks,

I don't think they would lie, they said it was batch 5 and newer equipment "only" used for 40 days. But to be thorough it would be nice if a few extra users confirmed they are indeed all 1.91s.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
usenet

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:22:08 AM

Thanks,

I don't think they would lie, they said it was batch 5 and newer equipment "only" used for 40 days. But to be thorough it would be nice if a few extra users confirmed they are indeed all 1.91s.

I think this is important because 1.91 has the underclocking possibility. More is mentioned in the link that I pasted .
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:27:08 PM

Thanks,

I think this is important because 1.91 has the underclocking possibility. More is mentioned in the link that I pasted .

Hah i see. Thanks for mentioning this. I was tired last night and just scrolled till i saw the pictures you were mentioning. Currently i'm more interested in overvolting than undervolting. My electricity cost make it so undervolting would just be a waste currently. (Overclocking to 393.75 shows only marginal efficiency GAIN instead of loss and i get 1.31~ pool side, probably because the fan doesnt take more and the PCB efficiency stays the same up until)

However it sound like fun and something to keep in mind if i cap my few breakers. I wouldn't mind testing it out for fun meanwhile. This also mean undervolted, you could run with some low CFM completely silent fans and have minimal hashrate loss during most of the year here.

I mean, no stock performance loss at 11.5v? But 20% less power draw!? That sound crazy to be honest. Deliberate attempt at reducing their hardware performance from Bitmain?

Could undervolt to 11v 300mhz for complete silentness during summer? Yeah 150-300GH loss isin't such a bad cost for saving your ear drums if you mine in an apartment like me.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
neegeeboo

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2015, 06:06:01 AM

Only worth it if it's hashing well and you can get it at a decent price, or else... No!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 06:23:01 AM

Only worth it if it's hashing well and you can get it at a decent price, or else... No!

Well the bitmain unit is no longer for sale, thus its hard to continue this train of thoughts.

I received one and thats it even though i could be interested in a second one.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
usenet

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:01:28 PM

Thanks,

Hah i see. Thanks for mentioning this. I was tired last night and just scrolled till i saw the pictures you were mentioning. Currently i'm more interested in overvolting than undervolting. My electricity cost make it so undervolting would just be a waste currently. (Overclocking to 393.75 shows only marginal efficiency GAIN instead of loss and i get 1.31~ pool side, probably because the fan doesnt take more and the PCB efficiency stays the same up until)

However it sound like fun and something to keep in mind if i cap my few breakers. I wouldn't mind testing it out for fun meanwhile. This also mean undervolted, you could run with some low CFM completely silent fans and have minimal hashrate loss during most of the year here.

I mean, no stock performance loss at 11.5v? But 20% less power draw!? That sound crazy to be honest. Deliberate attempt at reducing their hardware performance from Bitmain?

Could undervolt to 11v 300mhz for complete silentness during summer? Yeah 150-300GH loss isin't such a bad cost for saving your ear drums if you mine in an apartment like me.

Now I'm more interested in overclocking possibilities than underclocking . At temperatures of 10-20 degrees Celsius at frequencies above 400 MHz you can get an average of 1.345 THs easy with fan between 3200-3720 rpm depend on the unit.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:36:15 PM

Thank you for your thoughts, but sadly they're no longer for sale  Cry. I came too late.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:57:55 PM

Thank you for your thoughts, but sadly they're no longer for sale  Cry. I came too late.

there are plenty here in Marketplace: hardware threads from reputable people and with escrow if you want it.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2015, 05:10:54 PM

there are plenty here in Marketplace: hardware threads from reputable people and with escrow if you want it.

well one problem will be is the v1.91 with under clock may be harder to buy. but other then this used can be found.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
Badr

Activity: 161

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:15:06 PM

i believe that S5 Miners now worth just 1BTC and will go lower after release of S7 soon.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:25:26 PM

I'll look at it, but there is still the same problems than the ones from Bitmain :

-1 : shipping costs : it will cost me a lot of money if they are shipped for USA (I think).
  -2 : buying the Bitcoins : buy the Bitcoins needed to buy the AntMiner S5 suppose fees, which are really high with a credit card.

So the best would be to find one in Europe (not too far from me), which I can pay with bucks.

I'll look at this section right now. Maybe with a little of luck I'll find something that suits my needs.
usenet

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 05:36:44 PM

i believe that S5 Miners now worth just 1BTC and will go lower after release of S7 soon.

Indeed, with increasing difficulty there will be pressure on the s5 price. There is much more used equipment on the market too. However, till the s7 entry I do not believe in a big drop in s5 prices. There is simply no alternative. After the release of s7 we can see decrease in s5 prices. It depends on the price to s7.

Prices will not fall quickly also because of the additional charges as transport costs and customs duties. At least in Europe.
-droid-
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:17:28 PM

if you are diligent and scour ebay constantly you can find some good deals on s5.. there was one earlier that went for like 360 shipped
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:22:56 PM

if you are diligent and scour ebay constantly you can find some good deals on s5.. there was one earlier that went for like 360 shipped

But 360 isint that much of a good deal since thats a massive 1.75BTC. The ROI on that purchase would take a very long time if possible at all, currently.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
-droid-
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:24:56 PM

But 360 isint that much of a good deal since thats a massive 1.75BTC. The ROI on that purchase would take a very long time if possible at all, currently.

yeah maybe 5-6months depending on electric cost.. but thats about the closest ive seen to bitmains last price which allows one to use a credit card to purchase.. although zoomhash now has the 3 pack for like 1100
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:36:21 PM

yeah maybe 5-6months depending on electric cost.. but thats about the closest ive seen to bitmains last price which allows one to use a credit card to purchase.. although zoomhash now has the 3 pack for like 1100

Or 1 year + with the current difficulty increase trend, hard to tell.
With the S7 around the corner, its probably better to wait for the mass sell. Just since the new chip announcement the market place already started having tons of S5 for sale.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 10:41:25 AM

With the S7 around the corner, its probably better to wait for the mass sell. Just since the new chip announcement the market place already started having tons of S5 for sale.

I do not see anywhere tons of S5 for sale.  Why?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=75.0
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 02, 2015, 11:34:01 AM

I do not see anywhere tons of S5 for sale.  Why?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=75.0

Well there's quite a few S5 on the marketplace that arent being sold. Maybe because buyer know/think that if they wait they will get the hardware they want at the price they want. Shifted to buyer's market i guess.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀