Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:39:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Second hand S5 for Bitmain, are they worth ?  (Read 4000 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 08:22:13 PM

Hi everyone ! Today I saw that Bitmain was selling S5s for 391 USD. But they have already been used. Is it a problem ? What are their estimated lifetimes ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 10:40:29 PM

According to Bitmain they have been used for 40~ days and handled by them, so if the unit you receive was actually handled professionally and properly used and then packaged back to you, the unit should be fine and if it ran 40 days, it might have weeded out a good portion of the defective units.

I ordered a used unit so, if you want, i could report back when i get it, but i am not sure when i'll get it. I picked UPS as option since it was cheaper but i don't know which international service it use. It is possible i get it this week. (Maybe)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 02, 2015, 11:25:08 PM

Yes it worth
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:56:11 PM

According to Bitmain they have been used for 40~ days and handled by them, so if the unit you receive was actually handled professionally and properly used and then packaged back to you, the unit should be fine and if it ran 40 days, it might have weeded out a good portion of the defective units.

I ordered a used unit so, if you want, i could report back when i get it, but i am not sure when i'll get it. I picked UPS as option since it was cheaper but i don't know which international service it use. It is possible i get it this week. (Maybe)

Yes it worth

Thank you guys. But it says that their last ship is August 5th, so I'll not be able to have your testimony. I'll trust you and order one, thank you  Wink.

Edit : they changed the description. Now it says that they will ship after August 14th.
gablay12
Legendary

Activity: 918
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:04:23 PM

Dear friend you will be sure that it works.

Does it worth?It depends on your parameters (electricity price, rent, etc).

For me, yes it worths.I recommend you check warranty issues.

The more I meet people, the more I like my dog.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:06:33 PM

When I said worth, I asked if the S5 will not die after only 2-3 monthes. And it seems that it will not.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:09:54 PM

Yes it worth

Thank you guys. But it says that their last ship is August 5th, so I'll not be able to have your testimony. I'll trust you and order one, thank you  Wink.

Edit : they changed the description. Now it says that they will ship after August 14th.

Yeah the pre August 5th "batch" sold out i guess. They are rolling out batches of used S5 so yeah, they are rolling in batches of S#Unknowns.

When I said worth, I asked if the S5 will not die after only 2-3 monthes. And it seems that it will not.

It is possible, the failure rate of S5 is a few %, but if the unit was ran for a while, the life expectancy will be partially used but the odds of it lasting its life is higher, since you remove the DoA/near instant death from the failure rate %.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Minerkev

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:15:05 PM

I can buy myself a new car, drive 1000km and sell it to you for the price like new ones...its second hand no worries Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:17:41 PM

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:22:50 PM

I can buy myself a new car, drive 1000km and sell it to you for the price like new ones...its second hand no worries Wink

Yeah and they really picked the worse term "Second Hand" to say the units are used. "Only used for 40 days in our farm!". Haha =/

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.

If you pay less for electricity than them, sure? It's still ethically dubious... With the home miner dying and the hash centralizing, it look like they arent even making the effort to hide what they're doing. They could have put them back through QR, cleaned them and sold them as refurbished, but no... They aren't even bothering, they are selling units they ran in their own farm (so they says themselves) and aren't even bothering cleaning them etc. xD

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:29:24 PM

Here is the question I have to ask on second hand gear.  If it's worth Bitmain sending someone out to their farm and unplugging it, then sending it to a customer for X amount..... should I really be interested in that gear at X amount?

I respect them for saying it has been used.  If they want to get rid of it at that price I personally cant see why I would want to add to my farm at that price.

If you pay less for electricity than them, sure? It's still ethically dubious... With the home miner dying and the hash centralizing, it look like they arent even making the effort to hide what they're doing. They could have put them back through QR, cleaned them and sold them as refurbished, but no... They aren't even bothering, they are selling units they ran in their own farm (so they says themselves) and aren't even bothering cleaning them etc. xD

It depends on what the cleaning is.  If it's just the fan and finds of heatsink I don't mind doing the cleaning if it would save me money.  But if it's so bad it's down to thermal paste I would prefer not to clean.

Are you serious on the pay less electricity then them?  I have no idea what bitmain is paying.... but I doubt many hobby miners can come close.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:36:06 PM

It depends on what the cleaning is.  If it's just the fan and finds of heatsink I don't mind doing the cleaning if it would save me money.  But if it's so bad it's down to thermal paste I would prefer not to clean.

Are you serious on the pay less electricity then them?  I have no idea what bitmain is paying.... but I doubt many hobby miners can come close.

I am serious, but it is also rhetorical for most. Unless you pay a flat fee for your electricity or you find another way of having "free" electricity, you probably cannot compete, no.

I hope there's no need to mess with the thermal paste, that would be icky as hell, but the user that reported the miners being "dirty as hell" was indeed just the heatsink i believe. It's true its not a big deal but how much effort really would it have been for them to take 1.3 seconds to blow the dust away with compressed air?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:37:07 PM

Yeah with the productions scale these guys have and the fact they are in china, i bet they are paying dirt cheap for power
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 02:49:40 PM

Daily update; Bitmain still hasnt shipped pre august 5 date. The text said "No later than 5th august" so they're not technically late yet but i'm not particularly impressed by the shipping time at the moment.

If it hasnt shipped by the time i wake up tomorrow, i wonder what i will do, since it will be 6th august in China.
Should i argue that i paid before they closed the thread and changed the text to "Shipping starts from August 14th after receiving full payment."?

I wonder what they would reply, but i hope it doesnt come to that. 9+ more days of waiting would be unacceptable.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:39:58 PM

Daily update; Bitmain still hasnt shipped pre august 5 date. The text said "No later than 5th august" so they're not technically late yet but i'm not particularly impressed by the shipping time at the moment.

If it hasnt shipped by the time i wake up tomorrow, i wonder what i will do, since it will be 6th august in China.
Should i argue that i paid before they closed the thread and changed the text to "Shipping starts from August 14th after receiving full payment."?

I wonder what they would reply, but i hope it doesnt come to that. 9+ more days of waiting would be unacceptable.

bitmain is really solid about their shipping schedule. I would be really surprise they don't honor their date.
kodokbuduk

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:32:40 AM

Bitmain is selling their used S5 because i think they are upgrading to S7. They got S7 already. So they are using new S7 and sell that used S5, hundred or may be thousand of them...
So is it really worth it?? I dont think so..if they are releasing S7 now, they wont be able to sell used S5 at this price...or may be no one is looking for it..Wait for S7!
kodokbuduk

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:25:19 AM

Yes it worth

Better not.. dont buy used S5. Bitmain is mining aswell, using S5 (hundred may be thousands of them). They are upgrading to new S7... So they are selling their used S5/refurbish S5 first till all gone, then they are releasing new S7 to the public.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:49:16 PM

bitmain is really solid about their shipping schedule. I would be really surprise they don't honor their date.

Looks like you were right, they shipped today. So they honored the "no later than 5th august" for me that bought hours before they closed the sell offer and changed to August 14th.

It's my first time buying directly from Bitmain, but regardless i'm rather distrustful so i'd say this is a good start point with my experience with Bitmain, even though it could had been a bit faster.

It look like i will be able to give a mini review on the state of the S5. So far it look like it was 50$~ more than if i had picked up some S5 offer from seller in the US, i hope the coupon they give to those who buy used S5 cover the fact that they are actually used unit.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:00:19 PM

Bitmain is selling their used S5 because i think they are upgrading to S7. They got S7 already. So they are using new S7 and sell that used S5, hundred or may be thousand of them...
So is it really worth it?? I dont think so..if they are releasing S7 now, they wont be able to sell used S5 at this price...or may be no one is looking for it..Wait for S7!

Will it not have the S6 before ? And when the S6 (or S7) will be out ? Also I think it will be more expensive.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:27:04 AM

Will it not have the S6 before ? And when the S6 (or S7) will be out ? Also I think it will be more expensive.

No the S6 is going to be skipped, for now the S4+ is it. Those a rack mounted format. Maybe they will go back to S6 for the next gen rack mount ASIC but they said they would announce the S7 SoonTM.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀