Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:06:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocks 364629, 364632, 364633 and 364634 are all empty  (Read 797 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:32:20 AM

Of the last six blocks won, here is some info (11:29 PM US ET) on four of them:

364629    1 tx   F2Pool
364632    1 tx   F2Pool
364633    1 tx   BW.COM
364634    1 tx   AntPool

Granted, these were in pretty quick succession, but still.

I don't mine.  But if I did, I would go with a clean player like Eligius.  Hardware owners may wish to join "the good guys".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:36:27 AM

364629    1 tx   F2Pool
364632    1 tx   F2Pool
364633    1 tx   BW.COM
364634    1 tx   AntPool

I don't mine.  But if I did, I would go with a clean player like Eligius.  Hardware owners may wish to join "the good guys".
So why they don't confirm some unconfirmed txs and get some fees Sad Even if they confirm a 1 satoshi fee tx will get them 1 satoshi more. Plus there are 67k txs in the mempool. I don't see a point that why not take some of the transactions Sad

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:41:55 AM

el kaka22 (great name, Smiley)

My understanding is that by NOT confirming they have a very small time advantage to try and win the block (miner's fees in toto are much lower than block award).

But, I hear you.  Such greed by the Chinese miners (when most others apparently do confirm) ought to be seen as very irresponsible.  With luck, hardware owners will direct their hashes elsewhere.

EDIT: There are over 26,250 transactions waiting to be confirmed, 71 MB....
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 03:50:42 AM

Eligius still produces its share of empty blocks. It has a smaller hashrate, so there are less of them.

el kaka22 (great name, Smiley)

My understanding is that by NOT confirming they have a very small time advantage to try and win the block (miner's fees in toto are much lower than block award).

But, I hear you.  Such greed by the Chinese miners (when most others apparently do confirm) ought to be seen as very irresponsible.  With luck, hardware owners will direct their hashes elsewhere.
It saves time because they don't need to go through the mempool and get transactions to add. Also because they always start out with empty blocks. Preventing this would require a code rewrite which takes time and by the time that the code is done and tested, the attack is over and it is pointless.

OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 03:55:39 AM

I stand corrected then, knightdk, thank you.  

I read on another thread a day or two ago that Eligius and *someone else* played better with others, hence did not abuse the system.

I don't mine.  But if I did, I would go with a clean player like Eligius.  Hardware owners may wish to join "the good guys".
Eligius still produces its share of empty blocks. It has a smaller hashrate, so there are less of them.

omahapoker

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 08:53:49 PM

My understanding is that by NOT confirming they have a very small time advantage to try and win the block

That's the reason. A block that small will spread way faster through all the nodes and will get faster >50% of the nodes to accept this block as the valid new one. A 1MB block will have a hard time getting through the nodes because he is so big. So he has a chance of getting orphaned, which means he dies while a small, fast blocks survives and becomes the official new block.
Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:01:24 PM

364629    1 tx   F2Pool
364632    1 tx   F2Pool
364633    1 tx   BW.COM
364634    1 tx   AntPool

There is nothing wrong with empty blocks.
The miners can chose to include transaction or not.
The block reward is given to the miner who can solve the block, it has nothing to do with the acutal transaction. The motivation to include transactions would be to get a slightly higher reward as a result of the tx fees.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:07:31 PM

Empty blocks are common, and the reasons have been explained many times... And Chinese miners won't change their behavior just by reading these threads, they'll only change if they keep going on the wrong fork Cheesy

OROBTC, if you consider Chinese pools "unclean players", then I think Eligius also fits in your "unclean players" list...
d4n13

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 09:17:53 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2015, 10:13:04 AM by d4n13

From my understanding, here is the basic "proper" operation of a miner
  • Set your update polling interval for your pool miners to check for new templates periodically
  • Create an empty block template linking to the latest received block
  • Post (2) for consumption by any miner that calls for a new template
  • Generate a second (full) block template from mempool linking to the latest received block
  • Post (4) for consumption by any miner that calls for a new template
  • If no new block comes in, jump to (3)
  • If a new valid block comes in, jump to (2)

The reason why step (2) exists is that step (4) can take MINUTES....  Now we all hope that the machine running getblocktemplate is the biggest fastest meanest manchine ever made and can complete step (4) in 30 seconds, but no miner is ever going to waste 30 seconds of mining power.  So to cover the 30 seconds while step (4) is run, the miner has step (2) in place.

Also keep in mind that the pool miners call for the new block asynchronously.  So they will hammer the mining server for (2) when a new block shows up, but once they get (2) they will be much more casual about polling the mining server for (4).  This generates a latency between when the mining server knows (4) and when the pool miners know (4).

So yeah... the first few minutes after the last block is formed, I'd expect empty block templates to be the norm

OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 01:18:09 AM

Thank you for the education guys.

Since I am not a programmer nor have any friends or family who are into BTC, I have to observe and read (bitcointalk) the best I can.

And ask questions/make observations about things I do not understand (or dimly so).
uknohowwedo

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:32:24 PM

must have been a glitch in the system
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:34:51 PM

must have been a glitch in the system

That's a useless statement, basically.

I'm not sure if it's related, but the Chinese pools are the ones pushing back against a block size increase due to limited bandwidth.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: