Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:01:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136741 times)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 10:45:45 PM

Inscriber tool for easy Slimweb inscriptions

Nice work.

Cheers

Graham

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
asd12.123162

Activity: 92
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:09:33 AM

It's without any marketing. The project is defending itself, and when I will have more free time I want to contribute to it really, to make it great.
Proof of burn can be used in a Economics Universities to study, about economy of cryptocurrencies and their usability, and because it's the first use I will try to show it to some of my professors at my University.
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 09:51:34 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2018, 09:12:15 PM by muf18

Everything ok with Barry.

On the bright side - WSJ Tokyo Journalist has sent to us, and our decentralized team a message:

Greetings from Phred Dvorak, reporter at the Wall Street Journal in Tokyo.

I'm very interested in Slimcoin's Proof of Burn concept and would very much like to talk to someone about how it works and why you decided to use it.

Would one of your development team be able to chat with me on the phone?

Many thanks,
Phred Dvorak, WSJ

Would any of you, would like to talk with Phred Dvorak from WSJ ? If not I'll arrange, and will do the talk myself, but I would be keen to give it to, someone with better background, and better understandment of code then me.

Would Graham @gjhiggins, or @d5000, or anyone else would like to participate in it?

Apart from it, I received a message from Blockbid about boarding coin on final stage of their exchange, which should later in 2018, as I assumed from the message

Blockbid is on track to becoming the first fully insured cryptocurrency exchange on the market offering 7 fiats from launch and will aim to list almost all the 400+ coins currently registered with many more to come as well. We have also recently received approval from AUSTRAC to operate as a digital currency exchange.

We will contact you with listing summary information and marketing materials. We’ll be producing a press release which will highlight all priority coins to be listed, which we will share with you in due course.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2018, 03:18:55 PM

I'm very interested in Slimcoin's Proof of Burn concept and would very much like to talk to someone about how it works and why you decided to use it.
I may be wrong but I don't believe that any of the current subscribers to this thread are able to claim first-hand knowledge, the current understanding has all been constructed from publicly-available posts in the old OP bitcointalk thread and in the Slimcoin documentation.

Would one of your development team be able to chat with me on the phone?
Okay, so Phred hasn't read the thread - that means there's a high likelihood that her misperceptions will overwhelm both the context and the communication.

Would any of you, like to talk with Phred Dvorak from WSJ ?
Point her at the documentation, it's in her native language and is the primary source she is seeking (and her article will probably be all the better for it).

If not I'll arrange, and will do the talk myself, but I would be keen to give it to, someone with better background, and better understandment of code then me.
Good instincts ... Teal model best practice is: any person can make any decision after seeking advice from: i) everyone who will be meaningfully affected, and ii) people with expertise in the matter.

I don't see any reason why we shouldn't collectively have a go at coming up with something, if not for Phred then for the next time someone asks or even for our own use in explaining to acquaintances. I've just d/led all the original Slimcoin bitcointalk posts and am in the process of filtering them for relevant content and then I'll re-work the P4Titan on Slimcoin section of the Slimcoin README into a more comprehensive document, confident in the knowledge that all the available relevant technical info has been harvested.

If you're up for it, I'd like to explore something ... create a description of the basic principles of the coin (which will cover the typical journo's needs) but take pains to ensure it is written in a very simple and straightforward style which, if my educated guess is correct, should result in broadly accurate machine translation. The acid test will be for subscribers to this thread to paste the english source text into something like google translate and check whether the machine translation into their native language preserves the broad sense of Slimcoin's features and principles according to their understanding of the way that Slimcoin works.

Once we have something reasonably robust, I'd like to add the text to the "About Slimcoin" tab in the wallet, localised with the (largely approved) mechanical translations. Of course, if anyone actually wants to work on a translation or improve it, the files are all here: https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/tree/slimcoin/src/qt/locale

I should be able to come up with something later this evening ...

Cheers

Graham
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 06:24:15 PM

Ok, I'm up to it Graham, tell me what you want from me.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6080

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 07:27:36 PM

On the bright side - WSJ Tokyo Journalist has sent to us, and our decentralized team a message:
Greetings from Phred Dvorak, reporter at the Wall Street Journal in Tokyo.

What I found appealing about Slimcoin and Proof of Burn can be found in my articles on the website https://slimco.in, above all in the "Advantages" section. It's the long-term-involvement-awarding effect PoB provides - if you burn and want to see a profit, you'll have to wait, and so it's not adequate for short-term speculation while it encourages community participation.

Short-term speculation is what imho is causing most of cryptocurrencies' volatility and the constant risk for a small cypto to "die". In contrast, Proof of Burn ensures that there is a group interested in the well-being of the coin until more than a year after they've burnt coins.

I'm not very fluent in "spoken English", and I had never contacted the original developer (in fact, when I became involved, P4Titan was already about to leave the community). So I would prefer to direct journalists to what I wrote instead of an interview.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
keliokan

Activity: 86
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 09:29:07 AM

Hi all,

The ACME website seems to be off..

Is it normal ?

K.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2018, 09:33:55 AM

Another reason I'm unimpressed with the degree of journalistic insight displayed by the WSJ is that Slimcoin users won't be able to read what, if anything, the WSJ writes about Slimcoin and PoB because the WSJ web site is behind a paywall.

I'm slightly puzzled why this WSJ journalist thinks an open source project would be a topic of interest for WSJ's nakedly acquisitive subscribers or why it's blithely assumed that volunteer technical contributors will be happy to devote time to personally answering elementary questions from the WSJ, the answers to which are already out there in front of them, in black and white, if they could be arsed to look. In this respect, Phred is no different to any other putative Slimcoin user - except that as a WSJ journo, she expects to be able to take directly with “the deveopment team”. The mismatch speaks very strongly of profound misconceptions.

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2018, 09:39:34 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2018, 10:25:35 AM by gjhiggins

The ACME website seems to be off..

Is it normal ?

Looks like the letsencrypt script has broken the Apache config, sigh. That's all I did, I ran letsencrypt - can't be anything else. (I used to run self-signed, because of the obvious garbage that was contaminating the official cert chain but over time my options have been gradually crowded out by an increasing number of nowhere-near-as-good-as-they-obviously-think-they-are, half-assed security “improvements” ... lemme restart the daemons ... okay I can see Minkiz now, I presume others can too. (Yes, I do have plans to upgrade the h/w, later this year).

Edit:
Qualsys results, if anyone cares: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=minkiz.co

Cheers

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 01:19:08 AM

I should be able to come up with something later this evening ...

I got this far: https://github.com/gjhiggins/throwaway

Cheers

Graham
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6080

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 01:28:37 AM

Very interesting, thanks. A "Slimcoin history" sub-page for slimco.in would be nice, maybe this can act as a source.

By the way, I can't access neither minkiz.co in my browser still (ping however works) nor the ACME instance at http://tessier.bel-epa.com:5064 (this one simply says "Unable to connect", but ping to tessier.bel-epa.com works).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 08:49:17 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2018, 06:55:09 PM by gjhiggins

Very interesting, thanks. A "Slimcoin history" sub-page for slimco.in would be nice, maybe this can act as a source.
That's the intended destination, I'm just being idle and letting github do the rendering in temporary repos, I really can't be arsed to set up even a minimalist rendering environment. The next and most taxing step is to reduce the content to the bare essentials and simplify the writing. But anyway, now we know - the main idea behind Slimcoin was the ability to use cheap low-powered kit to contribute network-protecting hashpower instead of expensive ASICs. No ASICs for Slimcoin are in sight as yet, so P4Titan's hypothesis has not been disproven thus far.

By the way, I can't access neither minkiz.co in my browser still (ping however works) nor the ACME instance at http://tessier.bel-epa.com:5064 (this one simply says "Unable to connect", but ping to tessier.bel-epa.com works).

minkiz might just need a force-refresh in the browser, letsencrypt refreshed the https certs. http://tessier.bel-epa.com:5064 is serving again.

Cheers

Graham

Edit: intemperate and ill-founded rant deleted
keliokan

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 04:42:43 PM

What about the pool ?

Did barrysty1e replied at the end ?

K.

@barrysty1e - why you didn't respond to me?
I have sent you a few messages here and on discord.
Please respond to me about a pool and to a community.

We have done what you've asked (sent BTC & SLM), it wasn't much, but you must know, that we do our job for free normally. It's not the way you should treat us.

Barry didn't respond to me for over the week, and over 2 weeks ago, pool should be running (it's not his resposibility to be running on his server/vpn, but he should give us at least code of it, which we didn't receive). Sorry Barry, but it's more than 2 weeks now, without anything.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 05:47:32 PM

barrysty1e's gone dark. I was in a convo with him, he shared some commercially-sensitive material with me. I was hoping to collaborate, he seemed up for it. Then he suddenly went dark. He's a Kiwi I think, apropos of nothing in particular. I just hope he's okay.

Cheers

Graham
barrysty1e

Activity: 636
Merit: 516

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2018, 05:15:23 AM

barrysty1e's gone dark. I was in a convo with him, he shared some commercially-sensitive material with me. I was hoping to collaborate, he seemed up for it. Then he suddenly went dark. He's a Kiwi I think, apropos of nothing in particular. I just hope he's okay.

Cheers

Graham

Still here.
Was on the other side of the country (Australia); with my primary employer.

The NOMP/UNOMP pool is at the point where it is accepting and validating shares (meaning that independently the pool and miner agree on the blockheader); however once the pool sends the solved block to the daemon; the daemon segfaults, as even though the hash is technically correct (matches claimed PoW/nBits), the transaction data differs.

NOMP/UNOMP (or any opensource pool for that matter) have a fairly basic way of constructing a coinbase transaction which includes the pool's designated address. It does this by using fairly sparse details that it receives when polling the daemon for a block template. The pool then passes this information (coinb1 and coinb2 in stratum 'params') to the miner - the miner adds their extranonce value and hashes it for what is known as the transaction merkleroot.

The issue here is that Slimcoin (or any of the Peercoin family) has an odd transaction format that most pools have no idea about; using a set of zeroes for the sequence 'lock' rather than the bitcoin-standard 'ffffffff'; not to mention other oddities like giving the transaction itself its own timestamp, rather than just a timestamp on the input and output.

Have asked openly before on this topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1844717.msg).

When the pool submits what it thinks is a valid block, the daemon gives the nod because preliminary checks pass - then has an Exception error; while giving a stack dump (while continuing to run).
Basically the same thing that was happening years ago - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613213.3995;wap.

Anyway; i've started writing a pool from scratch that gets around this by using some getwork trickery; stay tuned.

james

my father wears sneakers in the pool
keliokan

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 08:28:11 AM

When the pool submits what it thinks is a valid block, the daemon gives the nod because preliminary checks pass - then has an Exception error; while giving a stack dump (while continuing to run).
Basically the same thing that was happening years ago - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613213.3995;wap.

Anyway; i've started writing a pool from scratch that gets around this by using some getwork trickery; stay tuned.

james

Hi,

Yep i had the same problem few months ago when i tried, but i gave up (my knowledge are not as good to solve this sort of problem).

Hope you will do it !!

K.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2018, 10:53:46 AM

Have asked openly before on this topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1844717.msg).

The codebase might be more amenable these days. Instead of crashing, it reports "Block decode failed (code -22)" when fed with the example given, at least providing an opportunity to run the Slimcoin client in a debugger (QtCreator's debug/breakpoint UI is quite usable). Settings in the QtCreator suite intriguingly suggest a "profiling" capability, something which I have on the stack, possibly for a rainy week in July.

I would also like to finish off what I started with my Anatomy of the Slimcoin genesis block: the tx parsing (the last section) doesn't work as expected (as the output indicates), which is where I ran out of understanding - in that my modelling of the anticipated output doesn't match the reality. I've been as persuasive as I can be but reality has proved quite obdurate and declines to change the output to match my model, so I'll just have to adjust my model to match the reality, sigh.

Also, there's a raft of interrelated stuff about mining and getblock and gettemplate (ono) that I haven't managed to integrate into my understanding as yet. Here's one such example which seems pertinent to Slimcoin and seems to be reasonably straightforward codewise (Hans Robeers is good) ... https://talk.peercoin.net/t/rfc-0004-remove-transaction-timestamp/4867 but which will have ramifications for mining s/w, block explorers, etc - in fact any code which handles Slimcoin blocks/headers.

Cheers

Graham
cryptossi

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 03:48:58 PM

Hey guys I'm new to mining, would you say slimcoin is a good coin to start off with and what hardware would you recommend?

nguyenvanson208154

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 04:15:58 PM

Good news ! Hope you have a great success
eddycurrent

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 09, 2018, 11:37:55 PM
Merited by cryptossi (1)

Hello cryptossi,

Hey guys I'm new to mining, would you say slimcoin is a good coin to start off with and what hardware would you recommend?

Yes, I would tend to say that slimcoin is a good coin to start with because it is relatively easy to set up and can use almost any hardware. It happens to be basically the first coin that I mined too. In terms of hardware, I would say that you could potentially mine on any CPU from about the last 3-5 years, but as with any mining your profits will probably mostly depend on your power prices. On older hardware, I would say give it a go, but don't expect to make a profit (you still might though). Even some small ARM based single board computers are good for mining Slimcoin as they are very efficient.

One other thing I would say is use the external miner (https://github.com/JonnyLatte/slimminer) rather than the one in the wallet as the external miner produces much higher hash rates. The external miner will also allow you to mine to the same wallet from multiple machines if you wish to do so.

If you are stuck setting anything up, don't be afraid to ask for help, however the documentation in the github repositories for both the wallet and the miner should help you.

Regards
Pages: « 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: