Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:27:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136736 times)
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2017, 11:30:23 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2017, 12:46:08 AM by BitcoinFX

@gjhiggins

Please reference the new Emercoin source code / recent upgrade :

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=362513.msg17847459#msg17847459

The rarely experienced freezing of a wallet with a large number of transactions has been eradicated.

Seems to be applicable to the Slimcoin wallet issue that myself and a few other's have reported.

Thanks again for your continuing development work on Slimcoin.

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2017, 03:51:48 PM

The rarely experienced freezing of a wallet with a large number of transactions has been eradicated.
Seems to be applicable to the Slimcoin wallet issue that myself and a few other's have reported.

Unfortunately, it’s a bridge too far, so to speak. The Slimcoin codebase isn’t amenable to an approach that exploits the Emercoin development in this instance. According to my reading of the runes, it would seem that the remedy came via the importing of the Bitcoin 0.10.2 GUI and the optimization of block upload protocol:
- New GUI from Bitcoin 0.10.2 (including control of transaction inputs)
- Optimized block upload protocol (headers are uploaded first, and then the blocks are uploaded asynchronously).
- Faster block uploading due to parallel processing provided by multiple peers.
- More responsive block uploading, preventing freezing of the GUI.
- http://emercoin.com/2016-09-24-Emercoin_0.5.0_Release_Notes

The Emercoin codebase development is on an entirely different level to Slimcoin's, the former is the result of a sustained development effort by a stable and competent team, e.g. “merge with bitcoin 0.10.4”.

Relatedly - I note that the CPU usage of my locally-running copy of the GUI has risen to a typical 50% of its thread, reaching 80% at times. I shall try setting reservebalance to a significant value, see whether that affects its CPU usage.

Cheers

Graham
gavrilo77

Activity: 819
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 22, 2017, 04:43:37 PM

Last few days i had many orphans Mint by burn
blizzen1

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 07:59:56 AM

Here many orphans during mining

Bitrated user: blizzen.
coindigga

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 07:07:24 PM

Slimcoin is listed in Novaexchange market (https://novaexchange.com/market/BTC_SLM/)

Posting this because I had some trouble finding this myself!
Cheerio
ptrace

Activity: 34

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 03:19:55 PM

I just placed a buy order @25 sat, hope this will get me some coins?
coindigga

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 04:34:32 PM

I just placed a buy order @25 sat, hope this will get me some coins?

You surely can hope, but as you can see the last sell orders went for 100Sat....thats 4 times you are giving!
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
March 06, 2017, 10:25:59 AM

Slimcoin has been mentioned in the below article as an example for Proof of Burn:

http://www.coindesk.com/short-guide-blockchain-consensus-protocols/

BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 12:08:05 PM

Unfortunately, it’s a bridge too far, so to speak. The Slimcoin codebase isn’t amenable to an approach that exploits the Emercoin development in this instance. According to my reading of the runes, it would seem that the remedy came via the importing of the Bitcoin 0.10.2 GUI and the optimization of block upload protocol:
- New GUI from Bitcoin 0.10.2 (including control of transaction inputs)
- Optimized block upload protocol (headers are uploaded first, and then the blocks are uploaded asynchronously).
- Faster block uploading due to parallel processing provided by multiple peers.
- More responsive block uploading, preventing freezing of the GUI.
- http://emercoin.com/2016-09-24-Emercoin_0.5.0_Release_Notes

The Emercoin codebase development is on an entirely different level to Slimcoin's, the former is the result of a sustained development effort by a stable and competent team, e.g. “merge with bitcoin 0.10.4”.

Relatedly - I note that the CPU usage of my locally-running copy of the GUI has risen to a typical 50% of its thread, reaching 80% at times. I shall try setting reservebalance to a significant value, see whether that affects its CPU usage.

Cheers

Graham

Indeed and as always, something for the future then!

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HaWNcBp59Y   Lips sealed
- https://wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foundation_Burn_a_Million_Quid

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2017, 12:25:24 PM

Slimcoin has been mentioned in the below article as an example for Proof of Burn:

http://www.coindesk.com/short-guide-blockchain-consensus-protocols/

"... Proof of burn

With proof of burn, instead of pouring money into expensive computer equipment, you 'burn' coins by sending them to an address where they are irretrievable. By committing your coins to never-never land, you earn a lifetime privilege to mine on the system based on a random selection process.

Depending on how proof of burn is implemented, miners may burn the native currency or the currency of an alternative chain, like bitcoin. The more coins you burn, the better chance you have of being selected to mine the next block.

Over time, your stake in the system decays, so eventually you will want to burn more coins to increase your odds of being selected in the lottery. (This mimics bitcoin's mining process, where you have to continually invest in more modern computing equipment to maintain hashing power.)

While proof of burn is an interesting alternative to proof of work, the protocol still wastes resources needlessly. Another criticism is that mining power simply goes to those who are willing to burn more money.

The only coin that uses proof of burn is slimcoin, a cryptocurrency based on peercoin. It uses a combination of proof of work, proof of stake and proof of burn, but is only semi-active at this time. ..."

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2017, 11:59:37 AM

Hi,

1. Re reports of burn orphans, I also saw a small handful of burn orphans for a couple of days around that time, seems to have settled down now.

2. Setting reservebalance to an aggressively high value calmed Slimcoin's CPU use.

3. Slimcoin is not the only PoS alt with a CPU usage issue, the current BeecoinV2 client has the same “problem”:

The new DEV should check the code of the Windows wallet because the staking process is driving the cpu to throttle at almost 100% continuously.
I had to restart my BeeCoin2 node with an empty wallet not to stress the cpu.
With an empty wallet there are no coins to stake for and the cpu is then running low.

But isn't this part of the design? The more coins I stake (in the expectation of increasing my holdings via mint-by-proof-of-stake), the more work my CPU has to perform. AIUI, this is how PoS is designed to protect the public ledger.

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 08:06:45 PM

Looks like Slimcoin is not traded anymore in Novaexchange, order books are empty.
coindigga

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 08:41:25 PM

I guess nobody is interested to buy it because everyone can mine it....
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 5983

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 12:33:39 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2017, 12:46:56 AM by d5000

I'll see if I'm able to grab some cheap SLM. Anyone selling for 1 satoshi? Grin

(It is not delisted, in the balance there is still a green logo)

@gjhiggins: Do you think the 0.4.1 client is stable enough now to consider it the "stable" release (to not say the "official" one Wink )? I haven't tested it very thoroughly but for me it seems stabler than 0.3x. But I keep having sync problems, although only on one machine now (on the other one it's doing pretty well).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
casper77
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 01:45:16 AM

is it necessary to have 0.4.1 ? i have this version vSLMCOIN_VERSION_MAJOR.SLMCOIN_VERSION_MINOR.SLMCOIN_VERSION_REVISION.SLMCOIN_V ERSION_BUILD-g154b52a-alpha
it works well
gavrilo77

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 09:02:18 AM

On my laptop client works very good.

gavrilo77

View Profile
March 11, 2017, 09:03:36 AM

I'll see if I'm able to grab some cheap SLM. Anyone selling for 1 satoshi? Grin

(It is not delisted, in the balance there is still a green logo)

@gjhiggins: Do you think the 0.4.1 client is stable enough now to consider it the "stable" release (to not say the "official" one Wink )? I haven't tested it very thoroughly but for me it seems stabler than 0.3x. But I keep having sync problems, although only on one machine now (on the other one it's doing pretty well).

I guess you wanted to say 1k satoshi  Grin
cryptovore

View Profile
March 13, 2017, 08:31:54 AM

@gjhiggins what it will take to add a layer of privacy on top of Slimcoin? I'm interested to know your opinions, from a "software architecture" point of view.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2017, 08:24:05 PM

Long answer (surprise, surprise), I'll respond to your particular comments before waffling on at length about irrelevancies ...

It's difficult to offer informed help with sync issues, I haven't experienced any sync issues with the 0.4.1 client.

AFAICT, under typical network conditions, I'm not seeing anything exceptional in terms of number of orphans. However, in common with many small altcoin networks, Slimcoin’s slim number of nodes renders it much more vulnerable to instability from large and sudden changes in hashrate so I'd be rash if I were to attempt to make predictions about future stability.

CPU demand is directly related to a relatively large number of coins being staked and the (often consequent) large number of stake transactions in the wallet: the more coins staked, the more processing is required. I have successfully reduced Slimcoin's CPU usage to its previous level by raising my reservebalance.

On the topic of a possible release  - I have been merging my exploratory git branches into the prerelease branch and have something to offer the community ...

I recently dallied with Sprouts, my interest being sparked by their experience of seeing “block too old, contact dev” warnings in the RPC output and the GUI - as Slimcoin has experienced in the past.

This, I discovered while playing around with the Sprouts code, is because it inherited Sunny King’s centralised “sync checkpoint” scheme which relies on the sync checkpoint private key holder to regularly and frequently generate fresh sync checkpoints. If that process ceases, the warnings will inevitably appear. Slimcoin’s original release inherited the same code+problem:

https://github.com/slimcoin/slimcoin/blob/master/src/checkpoints.cpp#L410

Code:
 // Is the sync-checkpoint too old?
  bool IsSyncCheckpointTooOld(unsigned int nSeconds)
  {
    LOCK(cs_hashSyncCheckpoint);
    // sync-checkpoint should always be accepted block
    assert(mapBlockIndex.count(hashSyncCheckpoint));
    const CBlockIndex *pindexSync = mapBlockIndex[hashSyncCheckpoint];
    return (pindexSync->GetBlockTime() + nSeconds < GetAdjustedTime());
  }

For the 0.4.1 preparatory work, I just nuked it:

https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/blob/slimcoin/src/checkpoints.cpp#L378

Code:
    {
        const CBlockIndex* pindexSync = mapBlockIndex[hashSyncCheckpoint];
        //FIXME : always too old
        return false;
    }

and left myself a note to find out why it was failing.

Now that I know why these warnings were appearing, I can safely disable the sync checkpoint test:

https://github.com/slimcoin-project/Slimcoin/commit/e4d69b7f28e6c6325eab93b43e8aea980112ec7d#diff-c33d3ce1a2a004536aaf1b90f6458900R377

Code:
   /*
    https://talk.peercoin.net/t/the-removal-of-checkpointing/2121/18
    d5000 writes:
    My problem with the actual checkpointing approach is that it adds a
    possible attack vector: let's call it the "CheckpointPrivateKey hack attack".
    Any malicious individual which hacks the computer of the private key holder
    can control the network and double-spend. Even worse, the computer with the
    private key must be connected to the Internet to send the checkpoints, so
    this key cannot be stored in offline cold storage (except if Sunny has some
    kind of brainwallet mechanism).
    */

{
        /* Disabled due to infeasibility of meeting maintenance requirements
        const CBlockIndex* pindexSync = mapBlockIndex[hashSyncCheckpoint];
        */
        return false;
    }

I applied the suppression to the Sprouts wallet, they're happy bunnies again.

Which is nice because Slimcoin actually came out well ahead in the deal ...

It transpires that Sprouts was launched a few months after Slimcoin and is one of the rare altcoins that was a genuine fork (i.e. contains the commit history) and buried deep in the full history was a little gem of a commit with the unprepossessing title “Merge some Bitcoin code as preliminary step to support coin control features” and was commented thus.
Code:
New data structures:
-CPubKey
-CKeyID
-CScriptID
-CTxDestination
(cherry picked from commit 4708d16)

These data structures are the basic origin of the genetic difference between ppcoin and peerunity. We can merge upstream PPcoin code into Slimcoin but not Peerunity code. Slimcoin remains a PPcoin clone because it doesn’t have the above-mentioned data structures defined.

The other thing that Sprouts has are some might-be-nice-to-have GUI additions such as support for both signing and verifying messages (Slimcoin 0.4 only has support for signing) and support for creating multisig transactions.

So I had a go at applying the “preliminary step” commit but had to abandon the task because it proved more demanding than I had hoped. However, I did manage to smuggle in just enough of the new data structures to be able to integrate the GUI improvements into Slimcoin.

Here's a feature parade ...

Drop-down menu contents, reservebalance value included in overview

I changed the relatively lightly-used “Burn coins” GUI component from a tooltab to a dialog box, reducing the demand for mainwindow horizontal space.

Block browser and transaction decoder

Simple RPC-driven blockchain browser and transaction decoder (copy'n'paster the tx id from the tx history listing). I'm investigating the possibility of extending it a tad to show tx type (i.e. identify OP_RETURN inscription txs).

Migrated Burn coins dialog

Standard “Burn coins” dialog, as a dialog.

Inscription dialog

A simplified dialog box for creating OP_RETURN txs. A tx value of 0 identifies the tx as an OP_RETURN tx, as according to the Bitcoin devs’ intentions. Some integration work still to be done, difficult to say how much but see below.

Sign message

Standard bitcoin feature of proving ownership of an address by signing (hashing) a message.

Verify message

Verify that hashing a message with an address matches a given hash.  

Create multisig address

Completely untested but it’s ostensibly “just” a GUI presentation of basic client functionality normally accessed via JSON-RPC, so what could possibly go wrong? Smiley

Spend multisig transaction

Again untested and again, “just” a GUI presentation of basic client functionality.

“Torrent” listing

Work in progress. Originally a(n apparently non-functioning) component of Torrentcoin, this GUI listing of “inscribed” torrent entries will scan the blockchain for OP_RETURN txs from address of the default wallet account.

Reserve Balance editing spinbox in options dialog

I've also been experimenting with providing GUI support for editing the reservebalance value and have made some progress.

To make a decent fist of this turned out to be more complicated than it first seemed. Still working on this but it's basically functional in that - in the absence of an overriding setting either via config file reservebalance or via command-line option, editing the value in the options dialog works. Until I can work out why the summary display doesn't update, you have to restart the client to see the changed reservebalancevalue.

Just briefly, back to the commits ...

If we unwind a bit to a slightly more recent commit, we get to “Relay OP_RETURN data TxOut as standard transaction type” --- which is a much neater separation of the concerns than the one I distilled for myself previously for enabling OP_RETURN in Slimcoin.

I was able to use this commit to check the OP_RETURN implementation I completed earlier which was apparently producing nonsense:

gettransaction 7206eb9f2e7acf03d9d9d909065cec79b63f7fbe131bea4ea8d868881b4f9920
{
    "amount" : 0.00000000,
    "fee" : -0.01000000,
    "confirmations" : 0,
    "txid" : "7206eb9f2e7acf03d9d9d909065cec79b63f7fbe131bea4ea8d868881b4f9920",
    "time" : 1484194638,
    "comment" : "",
    "from" : "",
    "message" : "",
    "to" : "",
    "details" : [
      {
          "account" : "",
          "address" : "msQd2xVVsXPEPkaUKegVwd531mXyKSnFax",
          "category" : "send",
          "amount" : -0.01000000,
          "fee" : -0.01000000
      },
      {
          "account" : "",
          "address" : "1Wh4bh",
          "category" : "send",
          "amount" : 0.00000000,
          "fee" : -0.01000000
      },
      {
          "account" : "inscription",
          "address" : "msQd2xVVsXPEPkaUKegVwd531mXyKSnFax",
          "category" : "receive",
          "amount" : 0.01000000
      }
    ]
}

and there's some cause for hope in that it may just be an issue with the implementation of gettransaction rather than some underlying problem because the results from getrawtransaction make much more sense.

getrawtransaction 7206eb9f2e7acf03d9d9d909065cec79b63f7fbe131bea4ea8d868881b4f9920 1

{
    "hex" : "010000004e0377580121251f2c2af4baeb9369cc57e44ef6c821e3bed8c968fd6719e
                 8703c3b098c69000000004a493046022100ebca2724051e4d95f7f9bbf97e3cc42614a9f46f5
                 af6a51871c56b25783cbee60221008ccdf9bb2d5d2c8b56fddacc853a36ecf00a78fd0650cb68
                 3f4ae799f882f1d601ffffffff035076f200000000001976a91479dc215797b4b61ec29fe325230 9
                 fbd96f8d4a5d88ac10270000000000001976a914826eef9b08e72c682285a6a54e5a9ec746e8
                 fa8388ac00000000000000000a6a08face010060d6870100000000",
    "txid" : "7206eb9f2e7acf03d9d9d909065cec79b63f7fbe131bea4ea8d868881b4f9920",
    "version" : 1,
    "time" : 1484194638,
    "locktime" : 0,
    "IsBurnTx" : false,
    "vin" : [
        {
            "txid" : "698c093b3c70e81967fd68c9d8bee321c8f64ee457cc6993ebbaf42a2c1f2521",
            "vout" : 0,
            "scriptSig" : {
                "asm" : "3046022100ebca2724051e4d95f7f9bbf97e3cc42614a9f46f5af6a51871c56b25783cb
                             ee60221008ccdf9bb2d5d2c8b56fddacc853a36ecf00a78fd0650cb683f4ae799f882f1d601",
                "hex" : "493046022100ebca2724051e4d95f7f9bbf97e3cc42614a9f46f5af6a51871c56b25783cbe
                            e60221008ccdf9bb2d5d2c8b56fddacc853a36ecf00a78fd0650cb683f4ae799f882f1d601"
              },
            "sequence" : 4294967295
        }
    ],
    "vout" : [
        {
            "value" : 15.89000000,
            "n" : 0,
            "scriptPubKey" : {
                "asm" : "OP_DUP OP_HASH160 79dc215797b4b61ec29fe3252309fbd96f8d4a5d OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG",
                "reqSigs" : 1,
                "type" : "pubkeyhash",
                "addresses" : ["mrdHmBZZazjYsV81xbh1r915EbLzBtApvx"]
            }
        },
        {
            "value" : 0.01000000,
            "n" : 1,
                "asm" : "OP_DUP OP_HASH160 826eef9b08e72c682285a6a54e5a9ec746e8fa83 OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG",
                "reqSigs" : 1,
                "type" : "pubkeyhash",
                "addresses" : ["msQd2xVVsXPEPkaUKegVwd531mXyKSnFax"]
            }
        },
       {
            "value" : 0.00000000,
            "n" : 2,
                "asm" : "OP_RETURN face010060d68701",
                "type" : "nulldata"
            }
        }
   ]
}

Quite promising really.

Next step is to create and make available testnet-only prerelease Windows and OS X apps and get the testnet up and running (testnet is easy to mine, doesn't use the expensive dcrypt hash).

Cheers

Graham

cryptovore

View Profile
March 18, 2017, 10:09:27 AM

Great update and thanks a lot for your work!

As I saw a bit of activity on the repository I played with a few of the branches during the last few days.

The master branch didn't compile, but the feature.publishing did. Oh, all the compiling was on a linux box. This version: "SLMv0.4.1-alpha-62-g97dfe67-dirty-alpha" stopped at block 58389 and wouldn't pick up from there. Zero connections as well.

Just a word about the OP_RETURN features. Did you hear about AKASHA (http://akasha.world)? It's not a coin (well, not yet) but more like a decentralized social network. Like really decentralized, there is no server on which the data resides. The app is a collection of smart contracts on top of Ethereum and they use IPFS for storage. I tested it from the early alpha implementation and at least they GUI is very nice. Still slow but very promising. This project may go in the direction of that "collective intelligence" you talked about in some of your previous posts.

As for Slimcoin, still a huge fan and looking forward to the OSX release. Right now I'm moving all the Slimcoins from the linux machines (including the raspberry PI) to the OSX version, in which I enabled staking. So mining and burning is done on Linux and staking only on the visual client.

Again, many thanks for your contribution, it's highly appreciated!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: