Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:18:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136736 times)
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 5996

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
May 21, 2018, 08:51:05 PM

As promised, I've created a very basic (Qt5-based) GUI for the Inscriber tool:

https://github.com/d5000/acme-minitools/blob/slimcoin/inscriber-qt.py

I've tested it on testnet so far, so be very careful, but it is simply a more-usable variant of the command line tool I tested in mainnet so under-the-hood it works the same way. Remember to never use it with your main wallet, create a new wallet file and transfer some coins (10 are enough) to it and use that for inscriptions (an account is not enough!). It will, however, print out the decoded transaction before it makes the inscription, so you can see if something went wrong. The change coins should return to the original address - if they don't, then don't continue!

You need to download the whole "acme-minitools" folder, and you need Python for now. Simply start it with:

Code:
python3 inscriber-qt.py

(a double click may also work, depending on your OS/configuration)

or, for testnet:

Code:
python3 inscriber-qt.py testnet

(in this case, you can create a shortcut for it)

I'll look if I find a tool to make the tool stand-alone and running on Windows without a Qt5 installation.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptossi

Activity: 504
Merit: 106

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 12:39:14 PM

Hello cryptossi,

Hey guys I'm new to mining, would you say slimcoin is a good coin to start off with and what hardware would you recommend?

Yes, I would tend to say that slimcoin is a good coin to start with because it is relatively easy to set up and can use almost any hardware. It happens to be basically the first coin that I mined too. In terms of hardware, I would say that you could potentially mine on any CPU from about the last 3-5 years, but as with any mining your profits will probably mostly depend on your power prices. On older hardware, I would say give it a go, but don't expect to make a profit (you still might though). Even some small ARM based single board computers are good for mining Slimcoin as they are very efficient.

One other thing I would say is use the external miner (https://github.com/JonnyLatte/slimminer) rather than the one in the wallet as the external miner produces much higher hash rates. The external miner will also allow you to mine to the same wallet from multiple machines if you wish to do so.

If you are stuck setting anything up, don't be afraid to ask for help, however the documentation in the github repositories for both the wallet and the miner should help you.

Regards

Thanks for your help Eddy, I'm not too bothered about turning over a profit I just want to try and learn how to mine, Slimcoin looked like a cool project and I like how it implements proof of burn.

muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
May 22, 2018, 04:33:06 PM

Yes Slimcoin is a cool project Cheesy.
You can join discord and/or telegram.

Slimcoin Group
https://t.me/SlimcoinGroup

https://discord.gg/crMHFRJ

Maybe update post OP?
eddycurrent

Activity: 61
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:23:29 PM

Hello all,

Just an update on ARM cross compiling slimcoin. So far I have tried unsuccessfully to use snaps to create packages that can be used on any system. My next step will probably be to try and create flatpaks, especially as they seem to be a more versatile package format than snaps. Could those who want/use ARM binarys let me know what boards/architectures they want to use Slimcoin on, so that I know which one to target first?

Regards
mlrdcoin

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

“Create Your Decentralized Life”

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 11:42:01 PM

unfortunately, I could not enter your site, because I received a warning about the security threat. with what it is connected? Only at me such problem?

muf18

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 08:50:18 AM

unfortunately, I could not enter your site, because I received a warning about the security threat. with what it is connected? Only at me such problem?

Type with http only or slimco.in

I will make it https in a few days,it's easy, but I forgot to do it.

@bobitza - very nice great design Cheesy
keliokan

Activity: 86
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 08:20:18 PM

Hi,
Just to let you know that nova has officially started to accept deposit in BTC, LTC and Dogecoin.
I hope that they will reintroduce deposit for others altcoins soon.

K.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2018, 04:11:21 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2018, 09:18:01 AM by d5000

Again, I've worked a little bit on my Publishing tool for the "Slimweb". (Once it's standalone, I'll rename it, probably it will be called "Slimweb Publisher").

Now it's really easy to use (you need: Python3.5+, the Slimcoin client, the Acme-Minitools, and WebTorrent-Desktop):

- Simply create a HTML file with your preferred editor (can be even an office suite)
- Start the Slimcoin client.
- Start the inscriber tool (inscriber-qt.py) and follow the instructions:
-- Select an address which will be the "identifier" of your Slimweb website (the tool will automatically display only those that have a balance of >0.03 SLM to be able to pay all the fees).
-- Open the HTML file. It will calculate automatically a torrent file, the infohash, and a basic magnet link.
-- Inscribe the transaction on the Slimcoin blockchain (simply follow the instructions).
-- Save the torrent file.
-- and share the web site via WebTorrent - if you have WebTorrent-Desktop installed, you can start it directly from the Inscriber tool and let it automatically share your content.

So it's now easier to publish a website on "Slimweb" than to publish on a web space or VPS and having to deal with FTP etc. Wink

Disclaimer: The tool still contains lots of dirty hacks and will be slowly replaced by "serious code", but we can now say that the proof of concept is ready to be thoroughly tested. I have some more plans for it, e.g. to accept Markdown code and standard CSS stylesheets such as Semantic UI, to encode images in the HTML files - e.g. for a "decentralized Instagram"? - and to integrate parts of the Solid social media concept, although if Graham wants, I can leave this part to him as he's probably much more an expert there.

Edit: The remaining problem that can make things not work is the Gateway app. There is currently an issue (probably related to the Same Origin Policy) that makes the Gateway not work in some browsers. Specifically, I couldn't get it to work on Firefox, on Chromium it works when one disables the blocking of "mixed content". There's some work to be done here still ...

Just an idea of how a redesigned wallet could look

Nice! It should not be too hard to create a Qt layout based on this mockup. In my opinion, however, there should be a "fallback layout" without any customization, so people can integrate the client in the theming of their desktop environment. There are users that want beauty and others that want functionality ...

@muf18: Done (links added to OP).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
muf18

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 08:03:18 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 08:17:33 PM by muf18

Thanks.

If you want (and if would allow), I can update it more often, if you wouldn't have time.

I made some slight changes to website (mostly update informations, to be accurate, it was due to do for a long time).

If there is more inaccurate info, just inform me or raise issue on github.

I will try to be more available now, but I have still exams and presentation pending.
I should be available from end of june.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 10:59:19 PM

If you want (and if would allow), I can update it more often, if you wouldn't have time.
I made some slight changes to website (mostly update informations, to be accurate, it was due to do for a long time).
If there is more inaccurate info, just inform me or raise issue on github.
Thanks! I've just corrected some minor issues in the Proof of Burn ELI5, too.

I wonder if it's secure if I send you the "Slimcoin Community" account password via PM. Although the account is unlikely to be hacked as it has a low rank (and is thus unsuitable for signature campaigns) it would be a pity to lose it. I'll investigate that, and if it's secure enough, then I'll send you the password.

I'm about to look into the issue of the Slimweb Gateway I mentioned yesterday. I really want to fix that because only if we got the (web2web) decentralized web publishing working reliably, the Slimweb can attract new users, investors and maybe even developers ... Once it's working reasonably well I'll write documentation and then I'll plan to open a thread in "Altcoin Discussion" about it, so it gets some exposure.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
muf18

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:04:58 PM

Ok.
About sending passes - you can try some secured communicators like Signal. Or send encrypted file to me, and just send me password to in the image for example?

There are a few possibilities I think.

About main development - @ksdme said that he will return to contribute and end paper wallet in next months.

If paper wallet and w2w would work, we could think of some little marketing effort. It would be good, if electrum could work tho, full client is not always necessary.
d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 12:37:28 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2018, 03:37:44 AM by d5000

I just found a workaround to the web2web mixed content problem: I integrated the gateway page into the slimco.in website:

http://slimco.in/gateway.html

Now, it works without problems - the only thing you have to care about if you publish content via Slimweb is that your torrent is seeded by a Webtorrent-compatible client (webtorrent-desktop or webtorrent-hybrid if you like a desktop client, if you like to seed it in the browser it can be instant.io). I'll set up a new test page in the coming days and add a web source so it's displayed even if no Torrent client is seeding it.

That means however that it will work only while the slimco.in site is accessible via HTTP (not HTTPS). But Github anyway (for now) does not allow HTTPS for custom domains. (We also, in reality, don't need HTTPS because we don't process sensitive data).

I'll twist around with the design a bit, that obviously can be much nicer Wink

Ok.
About sending passes - you can try some secured communicators like Signal. Or send encrypted file to me, and just send me password to in the image for example?
I just looked at it. Unencrypted PM seems not be secure enough. I would need a public key from yours, so I can encrypt it with it and you can decrypt it with your private key (A Slimcoin key pair would be OK, for example Wink ). You can send me the public key (NOT the private key, obviously!) via PM, that is secure. But you should not use a public key from an address that holds money - if I had a quantum computer (and only then) I could steal it then, in theory ...

About main development - @ksdme said that he will return to contribute and end paper wallet in next months.
Cool!

If paper wallet and w2w would work, we could think of some little marketing effort. It would be good, if electrum could work tho, full client is not always necessary.
I think I wrote already  (or was it Graham?) - the Peercoin folks once said that Electrum wasn't portable to PoS coins for a reason that has to do with simplified payment verification (SPV), which is the core of the Electrum security model but in PoS coins it seems to be inherently insecure.

However, other kinds of light clients are possible for PoS coins - but with another security model that involves trust to the server from where the blockchain is downloaded, like the NXT light client.  (That doesn't mean that the server can steal your coins, but it could trick you into thinking that a payment to your address was confirmed even if it isn't. So it's pretty secure if you re-check payments in block explorers.).

Edit: Emercoin has a light wallet that uses the Electrum protocol (Emercoin is a PoW/PoS coin based on Peercoin). I must investigate further if it could be ported, if it's open source etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
muf18

View Profile
June 01, 2018, 07:22:47 AM

I think electrum and SPV are possible, to do, as I saw some other example of light wallets on PoW/PoS hybrids.

Tho new peercoin android wallet uses bitcoin libs, but with changed structure into centralized server, which are providing functionalities of validating blocks, I thought we can try and go the same route - of course with a disclaimer, that's less secure centralized solution:

https://github.com/MatthewLM/peercoin-android-wallet

"This is an Android wallet based off the popular Bitcoin Android wallet made by Andreas Schildbach. It contains the same functions (as version 3.50) but uses a centralised block validation model instead of SPV due to problems validating the Proof-of-stake blocks. The central server provides valid block hashes over a secure HTTPS connection. Private keys are stored on the device and never shared with the central server."
muf18

View Profile
June 02, 2018, 01:36:40 PM

Trading and deposits of main pairs are resumed, and Slimcoin is at the top of Nova volume Cheesy.

https://novaexchange.com/market/BTC_SLM/
muf18

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 09:18:14 AM

I propose to port PeerAsset protocol into Slimcoin branch.

https://github.com/PeerAssets/WhitePaper/blob/master/README.md
https://medium.com/peercoin/peerassets-deck-issue-modes-c419f38f7800
https://talk.peercoin.net/t/testers-needed-pacli/7915/5

According to @peerchemist - it shouldn't take long, and it can be done with current version of SLM.
But with v0.6 there will be more options available like papi (blockexplorer), because it depends on batched json rpc, which just came in 0.6.

In the future they want to do atomic swaps, with other chains.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 01:05:20 PM

According to @peerchemist - it shouldn't take long

I'm not entirely convinced that there is a full appreciation of the amount of infrastructure that will be required to support such a scheme.

For example:

__main__.py: from .provider import Provider, RpcNode
./provider/__init__.py: from .common import Provider
./provider/common.py:
class Provider(ABC):
    @classmethod
    def sendrawtransaction(cls, rawtxn: str) -> str:
        '''sendrawtransaction remote API'''
        # FIXME: Hard-coded PPCoin references
        if cls.is_testnet:
            url = 'https://testnet-explorer.peercoin.net/api/sendrawtransaction?hex={0}'.format(rawtxn)
        else:
            url = 'https://explorer.peercoin.net/api/sendrawtransaction?hex={0}'.format(rawtxn)

resp = urllib.request.urlopen(url)
        return resp.read().decode('utf-8')

There's not a lot of point in changing testnet-explorer.peercoin.net to testnet-explorer.slimcoin.net unless there is actually an Iquidus explorer responding at that location.

Cheers

Graham
muf18

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 07:10:19 PM

Hmm... Well @peerchemist have said, that adoption it to Slimcoin shouldn't take more than 1H.

Besides a lot of PoW blockchains have been recently attacked by 51% attack, double-spending them.

https://blog.zencash.com/zencash-statement-on-double-spend-attack/
https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/05/24/bitcoin-gold-51-attacked-18-million-stolen-double-spends
https://old.reddit.com/r/monacoin/comments/8k7640/51_attack_on_monacoin/

Developers as we can see, don't have real mitigation and solution to the problem, other than "patch" of increasing to enourmous amount of confirmations, until transactions is confirmed, which isn't really a viable solution.

As we can see such blockchains as Peercoin or Slimcoin, with even more security derived from PoW/PoB mining and PoS minting is a much more secure design.

And it's much harder to attack such blockchains.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2018, 11:52:33 PM

Hmm... Well @peerchemist have said, that adoption it to Slimcoin shouldn't take more than 1H.
Immaterial.

The app needs infrastructure support in order to function, specifically it relies on the API provided by the Iquidus block and tx explorer - in this instance, adapted to work with Slimcoin. I'm not aware of such a beast.

Cheers

Graham

d5000
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 04:43:19 AM

Mh. I had also proposed to adopt PeerAssets some time ago because I liked the simplicity they claim (I had helped testing it in the Peercoin community, but very superficially, at this moment it seemed pretty buggy still).

But seeing that they're relying (if I understand it right) on a infrastructure of centralized block explorers doesn't really make this concept attractive for me. It could be adapted, in theory, to the SPARQL-based infrastructure (e.g. ACME) we have now, but then we would need to install a network (ideally, with nodes around the world) of very stable servers running these block explorers.

There are alternatives like OpenAssets, Omni and Counterparty that could be used instead. Counterparty for example seems a bit complex but at least it was already adapted to an altcoin blockchain (Doge).

But I remember also a RDF-based idea for these purposes ...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
peerchemist

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 09:46:05 AM

Hello guys,

you do not have to use iquidus backend, thought that is the simplest way trust me. It also enables light clients to exist.

Pypeerassets has concept of "provider", ie. a link with the network. It's used to fetch UTXOs, to query transactions, to send transaction.
A local node can be used via RPC: https://github.com/PeerAssets/pypeerassets/blob/master/pypeerassets/provider/rpcnode.py
Pages: « 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: