Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:11:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC power consumption estimates  (Read 15389 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 06:15:17 AM

Oh, by the way, the prototype picture has been released.

Courtesy of: www.butterflylabs.com

Re-posted under the FAIR USE ACT for discussion purposes.

It is unknown (as of yet) if this is simply a prototype for the case design or if it is a fully working prototype.

If it is the latter, then obviously the burning questions is: Did it meet the power and efficiency ratio of 1Gh per watt? I'll let others ask....

That's just the case,is what I gather from what he said:

"This is a crappy picture... I will get a better one when I get some time, but it's one of the prototype Singles cases. What you actually receive may be subtly different, but not much."

It may have one of the "dummy" boards in it,for whatever reason.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 06:20:17 AM

It may have one of the "dummy" boards in it,for whatever reason.
Perhaps for the purposes of confirming the outer housing is actually within manufacturing  tolerances?

Either way, now it is bASIC turn to upstage or lay like a dead goose in the background.
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 06:26:11 AM

Nice to see the dates being solidified Wink

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 07:47:19 AM

What happened to the coffee warmer? I don't want a whiskey warmer.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 08:46:33 AM

Ooo,hot tottie warmer  Cheesy

Get sick,mine while you make your meds,oh noe's.............damn meth heads are gonna want these now  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
punin

Activity: 560

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 10:11:50 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2012, 01:35:54 PM by punin

So guys...If I ordered a BFL Mini Rig SC today, when can I expect it to reach my house (SE Asia) ?
"By the end of January assuming no snags or anything."

EDIT: sorry, that was for the pre-orders. february maybe? 4-6 weeks into 2013?

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 12:43:33 PM

Did it meet the power and efficiency ratio of 1Gh per watt?

-- Smoov
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 12:52:58 PM

Did it meet the power and efficiency ratio of 1Gh per watt?

-- Smoov

There is speculation that the picture is only a non-working dud as of yet. Hopefully they will have working prototypes soon.

One representative stated that they won't have any samples in the incoming batch. So if it is broke, then the fat lady has sung. They said that was unlikely though. I believe them on that. Question is, how many times did they try and when did each iteration occur in their timeline/schedule?

That info alone would change the actual reasons for the past delays. [or at least solidify that there was never a possibility for shipping earlier until just now.]
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:00:47 PM

It seems to me like there is a 0% chance that thing works. It's all for show.

How could it work if they don't have any working ASIC chips yet? They said they would update us when they received them.
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:38:42 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182082

i have this waiting to power 3 bASIC devices, should be roughly 65-70% load..
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:12:21 AM

Do producers not know the watt usage yet or is it a secret?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:11:55 PM

Like Avalon it's specified as a range for bASIC. Only BFL has use of a crystal ball and can perfectly predict power consumption to the watt across an entire product line. Naturally no on questions this crystal ball prediction as BFL's track record for predicting power consumption in the past is exemplary. Roll Eyes

Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:56:56 PM

I think the main issue here is that no vendor has (demonstrated) a working prototype yet. So it is difficult for them to estimate, let alone commit to, final power consumption numbers.

Some have chosen to express it as a range. Others have refused to commit. BFL has thrown out a a number (1W/Ghps). We all know that BFL has taken a lot of flak with their FPGA product in that their final power figure was 4x greater than initially estimated. I like to believe that they have learned their lesson, but we have to wait for prototype testing results (from all vendors) for anything more concrete than that.

One other other thing to consider is the fact that BFL has chosen a 65nm process node while the other vendors are using something larger. This implies that whatever the final power numbers end up being, BFL should be lower (per GHps) than the others. Whether this becomes a significant differentiator remains to be seen.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:59:47 AM

New power usage numbers on the https://www.bitcoinasic.net/ website.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 04:05:36 AM

New power usage numbers on the https://www.bitcoinasic.net/ website.

I'd call 1.4W/Ghps reasonably competitive with BFL's estimates of 1W/Ghps, though I can see that may be a restriction for some people. Ultimately, until a working prototype is demonstrated from any ASIC vendor, power claims remain as estimates only. Reality may turn out to be different. I do hope the estimates turn out to be largely accurate.
Pardo

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:03:55 AM

The fact that BFL decided to produce their chips in a smaller manufacturing process than the competition, it's really hard they could beat their energy efficiency.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 02:56:49 AM

The fact that BFL decided to produce their chips in a smaller manufacturing process than the competition, it's really hard they could beat their energy efficiency.
With the announcement that the bASIC was moving from 54 to 72GH/s, it was stated that more chips would be used per device. 16 chips at a lower clock and lower voltage will not only be faster, but also more power efficient. You can bet your ass their old 54GH/s design wasn't 1.4W/GHs.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: