Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:53:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi guys !! Urgent help needed !! How do you say FUNGIBLE in greek ?  (Read 1960 times)
GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 05:51:00 PM

Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some assistance. What is the greek word for "fungible" ?

The best I got was ανταλλάξιμα .. but it retro-translates as "exchangeable". I really need the technical financial term, not a synonym. Fungible as in one of the pure properties of money.

thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chrisvl
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1006

Trainman

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 09:18:08 PM

exchange = ανταλλαγη
exchangeable = ανταλλαξιμα

GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:04:20 PM

exchange = ανταλλαγη
exchangeable = ανταλλαξιμα

Thanks for the reply! Is there no direct translation to exactly "fungible"?
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Ιntergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:37:21 PM

maybe
fungible= υποκατάστατα?

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:10:06 PM

Maybe I should have mentioned, this is for a voice over recording next Thursday  Shocked ....  maybe "fungible", if not translatable, could be broken down into a quick explanatory expression?

for ex :   "... it is *exchangeable* - as in English "fungible  - because etc etc ... "    ?

Suggestions welcome!
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

Maybe I should have mentioned, this is for a voice over recording next Thursday  Shocked ....  maybe "fungible", if not translatable, could be broken down into a quick explanatory expression?

for ex :   "... it is *exchangeable* - as in English "fungible  - because etc etc ... "    ?

Suggestions welcome!

It is exchangeable one for one, with every _____ being equal in quality to another _____.

Είναι ανταλλάξιμο ένα προς ένα, με κάθε _____ να είναι ποιοτικά ίδιο με κάποιο άλλο _____.

GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:06:21 AM

Suggestions welcome!

It is exchangeable one for one, with every _____ being equal in quality to another _____.

Είναι ανταλλάξιμο ένα προς ένα, με κάθε _____ να είναι ποιοτικά ίδιο με κάποιο άλλο _____.

Thank Alex.

For the sake of technical accuracy for the financial folk out there, do you think I should include something like "like the english word "fungible" ?

You see, this is particularly important as it is a recording explaining a crypto. Fungible is essence does mean "exchangeable".

You can exchange 1 BTC for another BTC, but that is not fungibility at all in when we talk about value/money. Fungibility implies that one item cannot be distinguished from another, meaning, for example, if 5 people put 1 EURO coins into a bag and each take out an EURO back, no one can possibly know who's EURO belonged to who in the first place.

So absolutely, they are interchangeable, but the is only half of the story. Each unis has to be identical to the other so they cannot be distinguished.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-fungibility-essential/
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:55:41 AM

Suggestions welcome!

Thank Alex.

For the sake of technical accuracy for the financial folk out there, do you think I should include something like "like the english word "fungible" ?

You see, this is particularly important as it is a recording explaining a crypto. Fungible is essence does mean "exchangeable".

You can exchange 1 BTC for another BTC, but that is not fungibility at all in when we talk about value/money. Fungibility implies that one item cannot be distinguished from another, meaning, for example, if 5 people put 1 EURO coins into a bag and each take out an EURO back, no one can possibly know who's EURO belonged to who in the first place.

So absolutely, they are interchangeable, but the is only half of the story. Each unis has to be identical to the other so they cannot be distinguished.

Technically speaking, and to be 100% technically accurate, each unit in crypto (coins like DASH) is distinguishable. For example one coin might be from a certain unspent block that has just been mined, and another one might have been used in the past, mixed slightly, or mixed heavily. So, you have one "clean" coin that has never been used or mixed, and then you have another which hasn't been used or mixed and these do have differences in quality.

In any case, using a parenthesis like (eng: fungible) would not be a bad idea.
GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Suggestions welcome!

Thank Alex.

Technically speaking, and to be 100% technically accurate, each unit in crypto (coins like DASH) is distinguishable. For example one coin might be from a certain unspent block that has just been mined, and another one might have been used in the past, mixed slightly, or mixed heavily. So, you have one "clean" coin that has never been used or mixed, and then you have another which hasn't been used or mixed and these do have differences in quality.

In any case, using a parenthesis like (eng: fungible) would not be a bad idea.

I see your point, but that is way beyond empirical practice. Gold is fungible, but you can detect structural diferences within each ingot (each has it's own certificate of origin and are physically marked), or take fingerprint marks from dollar bills (which also contain serial numbers), etc.

I'm not here defending Dash, but one thing is to determine the origin of a coin, which does not defy financial fungibility at all. The other is the exact opposite, to be able to track down every single use of each unit back down to the genesis block, like BTC. And, worse, be able to attribute identity to tainted coins, like Coinbase has been doing, shutting down legitimate business accounts due to innocent possession of block-ancient silk road tainted BTC's.

So here we talk about fungibility as being the property of money where each unit is indistinguishable from each other (thus it cannot be tracked or tainted)

In essence, financial fungibility is directly related to proof of ownership (lack thereof).

fungible
Of or relating to assets that are identical in quality and are interchangeable. Commodities, options, and securities are fungible assets. For example, an investor's shares of Xerox left in custody at a brokerage firm are freely mixed with other customers' Xerox shares. Likewise, stock options are freely interchangeable among investors, and wheat stored in a grain elevator is not specifically identified as to its ownership.

Fungible.
When two or more things are inter-changeable, can be substituted for each other, or are of equal value, they are described as fungible.
For example, shares of common stock issued by the same company are fungible at any point in time since they have the same value no matter who owns them.
Forms of money, such as dollar bills or euros, are fungible since each can be exchanged or substituted for another of the same currency.
Similarly, put and call futures contracts on the same commodity that expire on the same date are fungible since a contract to buy -- a call -- can offset, or neutralize, a futures contract to sell -- a put.
On the other hand, multiple classes of the same stock may not be fungible. For example, in some markets citizens of the country are eligible to buy one class of stock and noncitizens a different class. Typically, the shares have different prices and may not be exchanged for each other.

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Fungible

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 05:12:59 PM

Ok understood... In terms of the word or sentence / paragraph etc, if you want a specific translation that will cover it or its explanation, point out the english one and I'll do my best for the greek one, with the limitation being the word fungible itself.
GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:04:04 PM

Ok understood... In terms of the word or sentence / paragraph etc, if you want a specific translation that will cover it or its explanation, point out the english one and I'll do my best for the greek one, with the limitation being the word fungible itself.

Must be a linguistic thing... fungible exists in Spanish, Portuguese and French. It's derived from latin, so maybe there is no direct translation. Was hoping there was.

Given the context of the recording, where fungibility will not be explained, but important as reference, I think it's best to say something like

"... in the english language "fungible" ... "

3 scenarios were put up while writing the original text in English.

a) people will have no clue and won't give a damn what it is
 b) people already know what it is and appreciate the meaning/context
 c) people will have no clue but be curious and investigate what fungibility is all about.

Ok guys, so there is consensus there is no direct translation. I am comforted by that as at least my friend will not have the burden of translating it, and we can figure out a quick workaround.

Thank you all very much !!  If you still want to contribute with ideas, I'll be very grateful !
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 08:04:53 PM

Must be a linguistic thing... fungible exists in Spanish, Portuguese and French. It's derived from latin, so maybe there is no direct translation. Was hoping there was.

Given the context of the recording, where fungibility will not be explained, but important as reference, I think it's best to say something like

"... in the english language "fungible" ... "

...το οποίο στην αγγλική γλώσσα λέγεται "fungible"...."

3 scenarios were put up while writing the original text in English.

a) people will have no clue and won't give a damn what it is

Most probable. I have yet to meet a single Greek person who knows what fungibility is

b) people already know what it is and appreciate the meaning/context

Too remote a possibility.

c) people will have no clue but be curious and investigate what fungibility is all about.

If a short description is provided, no investigation will even be necessary Cheesy

Ok guys, so there is consensus there is no direct translation. I am comforted by that as at least my friend will not have the burden of translating it, and we can figure out a quick workaround.

Thank you all very much !!  If you still want to contribute with ideas, I'll be very grateful !

The greek language is made in a way which when there is no word for something, you can create it right there and then. However, just because someone will create a word, doesn't mean that anyone else knows it, although the meaning can usually be derived by the components.

Ι'd probably use αμφαλλάξιμο ή αμφιλλάξιμο ή ισοποιοτικό, by merging some prefixes and words, if I had to invent a word. But I would check with a linguist for the correctness of my "proposal".
GhostPlayer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 04:33:25 PM

Sweet dude! Much appreciated !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: