Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are GMO Foods Safe? What Are The Pros and Cons?  (Read 2664 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 12:00:16 AM

Discuss.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 12:51:25 AM

Discuss.

I doubt if there are any pros apart from these foods being cheaper.
Not worth it, in my opinion.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 01:02:30 AM

Discuss.

Care to elaborate why exactly?
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:12:40 AM

Discuss.

Care to elaborate why exactly?

Right now, there is a huge debate going on in India about GMO foods.
GMO foods are banned in India. The only crop which is genetically modified is cotton, which is not a food crop.
There is a big push from large corporations to start field trials of BT-Brinjal (as genetically modified brinjal is called here), but the government has been resisting efforts until now.
Questions about safety of GM crops, monopoly by corporations, etc. have been raised.
MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:58:46 AM

I think they're making us sick....

Half of All Children Will Be Autistic by 2025, Warns Senior Research Scientist at MIT

"....At a conference last Thursday, in a special panel discussion about GMOs, she took the audience by surprise when she declared, “At today’s rate, by 2025, one in two children will be autistic.” She noted that the side effects of autism closely mimic those of glyphosate toxicity, and presented data showing a remarkably consistent correlation between the use of Roundup on crops (and the creation of Roundup-ready GMO crop seeds) with rising rates of autism. Children with autism have biomarkers indicative of excessive glyphosate, including zinc and iron deficiency, low serum sulfate, seizures, and mitochondrial disorder...."

Older post of mine...

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are rampant in the US. We're supposed to be getting healthier with all the new vitamins and healthy foods, etc. So why is infertility down and why are diseases rising?

Even if you're not in the US, it would be wise to pay attention, as it may affect you in the future.

Organic seed banks popping up:

"On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group." Doomsday Seed Vault in the Arctic

Link between GMOs and gluten allergies

Genetically Modified Salmon Can Breed with Wild Fish and Pass On Genes

"Will humans who eat GM salmon produce growth hormones year round?
Tampering with the genes of a popular fish to make it twice as large is sick and demented. Plus, GM salmon can breed with other fish and pass on the messed up genes. (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_27667.cfm) Did you hear about GM tilapia too? Here's some recent research: "Tilapia fish engineered for transgenic expression of growth hormone had deformed heads and backs, atrophied gonads, and lower mineral content" (http://natureinstitute.org/nontarget/reports/tilapia_001.php).

People are already frustrated and overwhelmed with food choices, and some people still think "farm raised" fish means some "pond" farmer took good care of them, but it's just the opposite, they are feeding them hormones and pumping the lake full of antibiotics to kill the disease that spreads from population and fish feces overload. This is like breeding CANCER and auto-immune disorder on purpose! "

Genetic pollution: When GMO salmon escape into the oceans, there will be no boycotting Franken-fish

"Are GMO Foods Safe?

Industry and health leaders cite hundreds of studies to support the safety of GMOs. That includes 20 years of studies in animals that have eaten modified food.

But experts like Krimsky say nearly two dozen studies show bad effects, like harm to the kidneys, liver, heart, and other organs. He says they should carry more weight as people judge the pros and cons." GMOs: What You Need to Know

10 Reasons to Avoid GMOs

"Is it possible that the foods you eat are actually affecting your fertility and inhibiting your chances of getting pregnant? The answer is a resounding, “Yes,” according to dozens of research groups worldwide who have been studying the effects of Genetically Modified Organisms found in many of today’s most common foods." Research Indicates That GMO Could Be a Cause of Infertility

"Corn is in everything from take-away coffee cups to Vitamin E supplements
Experts say that natural cross-pollination from genetically modified crops to organic crops means there is no such thing as GMO-free corn anymore" Is GMO CORN making you sick? How one woman was told that the popular ingredient was the cause of her insomnia, headaches and chronic nausea

"See that apple on your desk? Or what about that Naked Juice or Odwalla bar you will use as a meal replacement after the gym? They look healthy and one even says it’s GMO free on the back, so they must be good for you, right? Wrong. Would you believe me if I told you that these every day foods you and I consume are packed full of GMO, toxic ingredients, that over time will result in us becoming sicker and our own government richer?" GMO Foods Are Killing Us

If these GMO foods are causing our illnesses and making us sicker, why do we continue to buy them and eat them? And if they aren't, why are there organic seed banks popping up everywhere?
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:06:54 AM

My gf is working on her ph.d in biotoxicology right now.
I talked to her several weeks ago about gmos:

We are already eating gmos en masse, it is just not crops but every other thing we buy.
In germany the association for food and food law says approximately 60-80% of food in german stores was in some kind genetically modified.

I hope it is not unhealthy else we will have a huge problem.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 02:08:09 AM

We are already eating gmos en masse, it is just not crops but every other thing we buy.
In germany the departmen for food and food law says approximately 60-80% of food in german stores was in some kind genetically modified.

Shouldn't this kind of thing be determined before it enters the food supply, not after?
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:25:32 AM

In germany the association for food and food law says approximately 60-80% of food in german stores was in some kind genetically modified.

And now the US house passed a bill so they don't have to put labels on our food so the US people can't choose what they want to eat.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/248974-house-passes-gmo-labeling-reform-bill

"The House on Thursday passed hotly contested legislation that would keep states from issuing mandatory labeling laws for foods that contain genetically modified organisms, often called GMOs.

The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015, which passed 275-150, would instead create a federal standard for the voluntary labeling of foods with GMO ingredients.

Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-Kan.), who authored the bill, called mandatory labeling laws — which have already passed in Vermont, Connecticut and Maine — unnecessarily costly given that GMOs have been deemed safe by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

“Precisely zero pieces of credible evidence have been presented that foods produced with biotechnology pose any risk to our health and safety,” Pompeo said. “We should not raise prices on consumers based on the wishes of a handful of activists.”

Opponents have pushed back against the legislation, saying it will keep consumers from knowing what’s in their food and stop FDA from crafting a national GMO-labeling solution.

Consumer groups, backed by Democrats including Reps. Peter DeFazio (Ore.) and Rosa DeLauro (Conn.), are instead calling the bill the Denying Americans the Right to Know Act.

“American families deserve to know what they are eating and feeding to their children,” DeLauro told reporters Wednesday. “The FDA already requires clear labeling of over 3,000 ingredients, additives and food processes. GMOs should be no different.”...."
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 02:52:50 AM

In germany the departmen for food and food law says approximately 60-80% of food in german stores was in some kind genetically modified.

Shouldn't this kind of thing be determined before it enters the food supply, not after?

Well it is, it just doesnt need to be declared.
For example gmos are used to feed animals that we later eat but there is no need to declare that on the meat.
Same with micro bacteria and so on which is used in food processing/preparation etc.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 03:38:35 AM

For example gmos are used to feed animals that we later eat but there is no need to declare that on the meat.
Same with micro bacteria and so on which is used in food processing/preparation etc.

On what basis do you claim that they are safe?
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 06:10:30 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2015, 06:40:21 AM by criptix

On what basis do you claim that they are safe?

I said i hope they are safe because else we have a huge problem.
As far as i know there is no concrete scientific studies about long term effects on these types of gmo ( animal food and micro bacteria)
The studies taht exist though dont point for bad effects but they are not long term

*edit
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81rp%C3%A1d_Pusztai

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 12:16:23 PM

Hmm nope not for me thanks, I'll pass  Roll Eyes  I saw LA Beast eat a 'Cheeseburger in a Can', I nearly puked my brains out and that wasn't even genetically modified. I calculate GMO foods to be roughly 10.2 billion times as gross so no I don't even wanna know what the pros are Cheesy
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 12:38:29 PM

Hmm nope not for me thanks, I'll pass  Roll Eyes  I saw LA Beast eat a 'Cheeseburger in a Can', I nearly puked my brains out and that wasn't even genetically modified. I calculate GMO foods to be roughly 10.2 billion times as gross so no I don't even wanna know what the pros are Cheesy

Where do you live? In many places, it is already quite difficult to NOT eat GMOs.
Mayer Amschel

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 12:42:25 PM

Corps will not consider anything you guys are saying (even though im 100% agreeing), why? because it will cut profits. Simple, 1-2-3

Hours
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 01:40:04 PM

Corps will not consider anything you guys are saying (even though im 100% agreeing), why? because it will cut profits. Simple, 1-2-3

Indeed. The truth is gmos are way superior in effiency.
Gm crops for example can grow during winter and are immune against pests and illnesses.

The problem is only that we dont know for sure if it is healthy or not.

Most scientist also say there is no way to not use gmo for the future, because we just need to produce more food for the increasing world population.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 09:09:38 PM

Gm crops for example can grow during winter and are immune against pests and illnesses.

Most scientist also say there is no way to not use gmo for the future, because we just need to produce more food for the increasing world population.

As far as I know there are no factual basis for these claims. Care to support these arguments with evidence?
I have never heard of these supposed GMO winter crops, but I know for a fact that the supposedly immune BT products lead directly to resistance to pesticides and create pests that are almost completely uncontrollable even by standard methods using insecticide, so this is far from a fact.

As far as GMOs being required in order to meet food demand, this is also another talking point they like to claim that has no basis in reality. I will also give you two reasons why this is patently false. Number one, GMO seeds are EXPENSIVE, more expensive than natural seeds, meaning the worlds poor can't afford them to begin with.

Number 2, most of their GMO seeds are what are known as "Terminator" seeds, where they are completely sterile and can not be used to replant because they are designed so that farmers have to buy seed stock from them EVERY YEAR. This is again another factor that increases dependance on Monsanto and raises the cost of growing food.
MakingMoneyHoney

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:07:27 AM

Monsanto sued over PCB contamination of Spokane River in Washington state

Struggling with the pollution of the Spokane River, a town in the state of Washington is taking agrochemical giant Monsanto to court for selling chemicals that endanger human health and the environment, despite it allegedly having known of the hazard for decades.

The lawsuit, filed in a US District Court in Spokane, Washington, holds Monsanto accountable for pollutants flowing into the 111 miles (179 km) long Spokane River that stretches from northern Idaho to eastern Washington.

“Spokane filed a lawsuit to hold Monsanto Company responsible for PCB contamination that finds its way into the City’s stormwater that flows into the Spokane River,” Environmental Law Firms Baron & Budd and Gomez Trial Attorneys, representing Spokane said in a press release.

The city seeks “compensatory damages,” lawyer’s fees, interest and any other relief the court deems appropriate. The suit doesn’t specify the actual sum of damages being sought from the Iowa-based company.

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) chemical compounds were developed and made by Monsanto from the 1930s until 1979, when Congress banned them over danger they pose to humans and the environment.

Over the decades, PCBs were used in a number of Monsanto’s products that were incorporated into electrical equipment, paints, caulks, and other building materials.

“Monsanto knew then that PCBs were toxic and could not be contained as they readily escaped into the environment finding their way into bays, oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, soil, and air,” the legal team says.

Despite allegedly knowing the risk posed, Monsanto increased the production of PCBs and concealed this information to make profit, the law firm says. Because of such ill practice PCBs became a common environmental contaminant that affected all forms of life and are capable of wiping out entire fish habitats. In humans, PCB exposure is associated with a number of sicknesses, with cancer posing the worst threat.

The city of Spokane will now spend $300 million to keep PCBs from entering the river in coming years, Marlene Feist, the city’s utilities spokeswoman, told The Spokesman-Review. She said the suit is “long-term litigation.”

Feist noted that the Spokane River has elevated levels of PCBs, that has also been found in fish and wildlife. The city is currently trying to meet a 2017 federal deadline to stop pollution from entering the river.

In order to proceed with the clean-up, the Washington State Department of Ecology already began reducing PCBs at their sources in the watershed, and adding more levels of treatment at its water treatment plant.

“No company should be allowed to contaminate the environment and rely upon taxpayers to clean up the mess,” Attorney Scott Summy, a shareholder at Baron & Budd, P.C., one of two firms representing Spokane in the lawsuit said. “Monsanto, one of the most sophisticated chemical companies in the world, knew decades ago that PCBs were a significant contamination threat. And yet the company was concerned more with continuing profits than with protecting the public.”

“The City will incur significant costs to remove PCBs from stormwater and wastewater effluent flowing into the Spokane River, costs that should not be borne by the City or by its taxpayers but by the company that knew its product would cause this contamination,” Summy’s co-counsel, Attorney John Fiske, of Gomez Trial Attorneys, agreed.

READ MORE: San Diego sues Monsanto for bay pollution & persistent contamination

Monsanto replied in a statement, saying that they are reviewing the lawsuit and its allegations.

“Monsanto is not responsible for the costs alleged in this matter,” Charla Lord, a spokeswoman with the company told The Spokesman-Review.

“PCBs sold at the time were a lawful and useful product that was then incorporated by third parties into other useful products,” Lord said. “If improper disposal or other improper uses created the necessity for clean-up costs, then these other third parties would bear responsibility for these costs.”

In the past PCB pollution cases had been opened against Monsanto in San Diego and San Jose, California, and Westport, Massachusetts
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:24:16 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2015, 04:38:21 AM by criptix

As far as I know there are no factual basis for these claims. Care to support these arguments with evidence?
I have never heard of these supposed GMO winter crops, but I know for a fact that the supposedly immune BT products lead directly to resistance to pesticides and create pests that are almost completely uncontrollable even by standard methods using insecticide, so this is far from a fact.

As far as GMOs being required in order to meet food demand, this is also another talking point they like to claim that has no basis in reality. I will also give you two reasons why this is patently false. Number one, GMO seeds are EXPENSIVE, more expensive than natural seeds, meaning the worlds poor can't afford them to begin with.

Number 2, most of their GMO seeds are what are known as "Terminator" seeds, where they are completely sterile and can not be used to replant because they are designed so that farmers have to buy seed stock from them EVERY YEAR. This is again another factor that increases dependance on Monsanto and raises the cost of growing food.

@wintercrops
I read about winter oilseed rape (wtf name in german it is called raps) which they try to modify to get high(er) immunity against pest and herbizide and more yields.

There sadly already exist an example of what you are talking about:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0025736

Imho with more research this should be solved somewhen in the future.

@food for the world

I think the main problem is how the Patents work atleast i know that for Monsanto.
http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/why-does-monsanto-sue-farmers-who-save-seeds.aspx

Here is their official statement.
It is just about money. They could give it to the 3rd world farmers for free if they wanted too.

*edit
I checked terminator seeds, good lord they seem not to be commercial available yet?
If these genes go rampage in the wild then we really will destroy our world.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 08:11:00 AM

I can't say for sure GMOs are the cause but, the smell from the anti-inflammatory cream the doctors make everybody rub into their assholes these days is really grossing me out. I can smell it a block away sometimes.   Lips sealed
criptix
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2015, 11:30:13 AM by criptix

I can't say for sure GMOs are the cause but, the smell from the anti-inflammatory cream the doctors make everybody rub into their assholes these days is really grossing me out. I can smell it a block away sometimes.   Lips sealed

should show the people this here, funny how the majority of ppl dont even think about it.

http://medical-diagonosis.wonderhowto.com/how-to/health-alert-youre-taking-crap-wrong-is-you-poop-properly-0139696/

http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2013/12/16/toilets-of-the-future-and-the-art-of-squatting/

*edit

it is quite interesting but what is the link to gmos?

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
  ██████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌