Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:13:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit hd and private key  (Read 3127 times)
valkir (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:08:25 AM

Hi

I was using multibit classic for the last 3 years. Now I decided to go upgrade and use multibit hd.
I have some questions.

Hd mean no private key ??
Can I recover my wallet only with passphrase? (or I need back up )

Thanks

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 08:15:04 AM

Hello Valkir,

Thanks for being a MultiBit user for the last 3 years !
3 years in Bitcoin time is an absolute eternity.

There are private keys in MultiBit HD but we don't expose them anywhere on the user interface.
For backups the most important thing to do is write down your wallet words.

The wallet words shown to you when you create a wallet are enough to recover all your bitcoins.
We also generate encrypted backups of all the extra information to do with exchange rates, your contacts, transaction notes etc.
These are stored in the wallet directory automatically but for extra safety you want to set a 'Cloud backup directory' where these files will be copied to.

The idea of the cloud backup directory is that if you have Dropbox / SpiderOak / Carbonite set up you'll have a backup stored off your computer. If someone steals your laptop can recover everything up to your last backup. You need your wallet words to decrypt your backups.

The backups are explained in detail in the help here:
https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.1/backups.html

Oh, one last thing. If you have more than a trivial amount of bitcoin, consider buying a Trezor.
The Trezor integration in MultiBit HD is really nice and then you won't have ANY private keys on your desktop computer - it's a lot more secure.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
valkir (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 11:35:56 AM

Thanks you very much.

I will look into the trezor.

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Thura

Activity: 60
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 05:13:50 PM

Currently there's a promo code on multibit.org, with that a Trezor costs 99,- USD instead of regularly 119,- USD Smiley
pompatore

Activity: 787
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:29:46 AM

in mbithd + trezor, i do not understand how to see pwallet words.
are the same words i got from trezor website first time i connected it ?
and i do not understand how to make multiple wallets.
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 10:26:32 AM

Yes they are the same words the Trezor gave you when you set up your Trezor.

To create another wallet start MultiBit HD without your Trezor plugged in and click on 'Create' on the password entry screen.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
pompatore

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:59:40 AM

Yes they are the same words the Trezor gave you when you set up your Trezor.

To create another wallet start MultiBit HD without your Trezor plugged in and click on 'Create' on the password entry screen.

thx
so the trezor company knows all about my wallets, included the wallets i got on multibit hd?
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2015, 10:33:08 AM

You can create a wallet on MultiBit HD directly and not use myTrezor.com

Just wipe a Trezor using Tools | Trezor | Wipe Trezor.

Then pull out your Trezor and plug it back in.
MultiBit HD detects a blank Trezor and starts up the 'create wallet' wizard

pompatore

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:18:40 PM

You can create a wallet on MultiBit HD directly and not use myTrezor.com

Just wipe a Trezor using Tools | Trezor | Wipe Trezor.

Then pull out your Trezor and plug it back in.
MultiBit HD detects a blank Trezor and starts up the 'create wallet' wizard

yes but i'll like to have multiple wallets using the same trezor, and manage it without have to wipe every time, isn't possible?
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 01:42:32 PM

Not with MultiBit HD, no.

pompatore

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:20:59 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2015, 11:26:54 AM by pompatore

I have created a wallett with Trezo on mbithd , then I went into mytrezor and my old wallett were gone!
 It was only wallett newly created about mbithd ! how to  recover it?
I'd done a wipe of trezor, then i entered the 24 words but now i see again only the wallet created in mutlibithd !
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2015, 01:50:52 PM

When you wipe a Trezor and create a new seed phrase you effectively create a new set of private keys and addresses.

Thus if you have a Trezor and you want to use it with a particular seed phrase you need to wipe it and program it with the new seed phrase. You can only do this on myTrezor.com. MultiBit HD does not allow you to reprogram a Trezor with a particular seed phrase.

Note that MultiBit HD does not support a passphrase 'on top of' a seed phrase. This is an extra level of complexity that we have chosen not to support but myTrezor.com does.

Monopoly

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:04:44 AM

When you wipe a Trezor and create a new seed phrase you effectively create a new set of private keys and addresses.

Thus if you have a Trezor and you want to use it with a particular seed phrase you need to wipe it and program it with the new seed phrase. You can only do this on myTrezor.com. MultiBit HD does not allow you to reprogram a Trezor with a particular seed phrase.

Note that MultiBit HD does not support a passphrase 'on top of' a seed phrase. This is an extra level of complexity that we have chosen not to support but myTrezor.com does.

Could you more explain what is myTrezor.com ? i couldn't connect to bitcointrezor.com .
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 10:33:48 AM

myTrezor.com is the web wallet that Satoshi Labs (the creators of Trezor) run.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: