Bitcoin Forum
April 10, 2024, 06:00:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary  (Read 611 times)
DaddyMonsi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 04:32:22 AM

Some of us are hoping that Bitcoin will be accepted by the public and be used in the future like an ordinary currency.
However, I noticed that the word "Bitcoin" itself is not yet in the Merriam Websters dictionary. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
So I searched how can a word be added in the Merriam-Websters dictionary and here's the answer

To decide which words to include in the dictionary and to determine what they mean, Merriam-Webster editors study the language as it's used. They carefully monitor which words people use most often and how they use them.

Each day most Merriam-Webster editors devote an hour or two to reading a cross section of published material, including books, newspapers, magazines, and electronic publications; in our office this activity is called "reading and marking." The editors scour the texts in search of new words, new usages of existing words, variant spellings, and inflected forms–in short, anything that might help in deciding if a word belongs in the dictionary, understanding what it means, and determining typical usage. Any word of interest is marked, along with surrounding context that offers insight into its form and use.

reference: Merriam-Websters Dictionary FAQs

Looks like we still have a long way to go before Bitcoin will be accepted
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:27:07 AM

Don't worry, it's in the only dictionary that still matters:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitcoin  Smiley
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 07:09:35 AM

Don't worry, it's in the only dictionary that still matters:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bitcoin  Smiley

Indeed Grin it's fun yet educational reading urban dictionary compared to other dictionaries out there
I love urbandictionary
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 07:34:53 AM

Some of us are hoping that Bitcoin will be accepted by the public and be used in the future like an ordinary currency.
However, I noticed that the word "Bitcoin" itself is not yet in the Merriam Websters dictionary. (please correct me if i'm wrong)
So I searched how can a word be added in the Merriam-Websters dictionary and here's the answer

To decide which words to include in the dictionary and to determine what they mean, Merriam-Webster editors study the language as it's used. They carefully monitor which words people use most often and how they use them.

Each day most Merriam-Webster editors devote an hour or two to reading a cross section of published material, including books, newspapers, magazines, and electronic publications; in our office this activity is called "reading and marking." The editors scour the texts in search of new words, new usages of existing words, variant spellings, and inflected forms–in short, anything that might help in deciding if a word belongs in the dictionary, understanding what it means, and determining typical usage. Any word of interest is marked, along with surrounding context that offers insight into its form and use.

Well, it appears to me that Merriam-Webster's editors are not doing such a good job because Bitcoin has been and is constantly being mentioned in all the above mentioned media.
It's either that or they are avoiding it for a reason.

Has anyone tried contacting them about adding Bitcoin in their dictionary?
DaddyMonsi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 08:56:57 AM

Well, it appears to me that Merriam-Webster's editors are not doing such a good job because Bitcoin has been and is constantly being mentioned in all the above mentioned media.
It's either that or they are avoiding it for a reason.

Has anyone tried contacting them about adding Bitcoin in their dictionary?

I was thinking of sending hem like a petition so Bitcoin will be added there, but upon reading the FAQs I don't think it's necessary.
I wonder what kind of reading materials do they have? comics maybe?
in our office this activity is called "reading and marking." The editors scour the texts in search of new words, new usages of existing words, variant spellings, and inflected forms–in short, anything that might help in deciding if a word belongs in the dictionary, understanding what it means, and determining typical usage. Any word of interest is marked, along with surrounding context that offers insight into its form and use.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 10:16:27 AM

I know Oxford takes submissions from the general public, or they used to? You must cite where you have seen it in print or where you have heard it... "D'oh!" Is in there ffs

Anyway, send it in, with definition and citation and they will take note. I'm sure they have seen it and are just waiting to see if it's still around in a year or two. These scholarly types, they never want to appear to be wrong. If they think btc might die, they won't want to put it in now only to remove it later.

Just cuz they know words don't mean they understand cryptos.

Either that or they are trying to aggregate all the related terminology first, like cryptocurrency blockchain, satoshis etc. there's a lot of new words that you need to use to even define Bitcoin and none of them are in the dictionary yet.

I wonder what their protocol for such a situation is?
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 10:28:52 AM

What makes you say that? Judging by their criteria they should have already added it to their dictionary as bitcoin is frequently mentioned in the media and articles. Besides both bitcoin and cryptocurrency are in the Oxford dictionary: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bitcoin
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 10:58:45 AM

We have thousands of pages if you search "bitcoin" or "what is bitcoin", so I don't worry about Bitcoin being or not in a dictionary.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: