Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:28:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true? Bitcoin Isn't a Currency but a Technology?  (Read 4043 times)
valvalis

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

DeFixy.com - The future of Decentralization

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 11:14:36 PM

It's a technology used as currency by the community. Tongue
I like the idea of mining in bitcoin, it's like mining some gold in other way. So i think bitcoin is a commodity. Undecided

█▌▐█
▄██████▄▄
  ▀████████▄
     ▀███████
       ▀██████
         ▀█████
           ████
         ▄█████
       ▄█████
     ▄███████
  ▄████████▀
▀██████▀▀
  █▌▐█
..DeFiXy.......████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
███   ██████████████   ███████   █████████   ██   █████   ██████████████████   ████
.$0.50.
███████   ██   █████████   ██   ███████████   ███████████   ███████████   █████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
.......JOIN NOW..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:39:02 AM

I like the idea of mining in bitcoin, it's like mining some gold in other way. So i think bitcoin is a commodity. Undecided

bitcoin is a lot of thing for a lot of different people, that's what makes it good. For businessmen like me, it is a currency so I can do my trades anonymously and maintain privacy, for some its a mode of payment and gives control to act like your own bank. For some its investment and they treat it like capital, even profit made from value increase in btc is taxed as capital appreciation. To each his own Cheesy
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:55:16 AM

Yes what you said is correct. Bitcoin can be considered as a commodity or technology but no way a currency.
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:04:19 AM

Yes what you said is correct. Bitcoin can be considered as a commodity or technology but no way a currency.

Well in my opinion BTC is not only a technology but a disruptive technology it’s probably the greatest innovation in money since coinage.

By the paragraph above it should very obvious that I consider BTC to be money(not currency that is something else) And by the way Gold and Silver are also money.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
HarHarHar9965

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 05:55:43 PM

Well in my opinion BTC is not only a technology but a disruptive technology it’s probably the greatest innovation in money since coinage.

By the paragraph above it should very obvious that I consider BTC to be money(not currency that is something else) And by the way Gold and Silver are also money.

gold, silver and bitcoin are all taxed as capitals though, in the eyes of the law. All the gains from the increase of their value after purchasing it is considered as capital appreciation, ofcourse laws are different depending on place to place in the world, but it is obvious that fiat is the most widely used mode of payment right now, there are a lot of factors which decide what really is money, so I am not sure gold and silver are really money
SimpleIn

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 06:23:01 PM

It seems to me that this particular currency. Only in electronic form.
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 10:26:57 PM

gold, silver and bitcoin are all taxed as capitals though, in the eyes of the law. All the gains from the increase of their value after purchasing it is considered as capital appreciation, ofcourse laws are different depending on place to place in the world, but it is obvious that fiat is the most widely used mode of payment right now, there are a lot of factors which decide what really is money, so I am not sure gold and silver are really money

All what you wrote is true and your logic flawless. But I see it in a different perspective.

Gold, Silver and Bitcoin fit the characteristics of money, so to me, it doesn’t matter what the governments of world say, since the three fit the definition.

However, the three have the same problem: adoption. But this could change very rapidly if TSHTF, since Gold and silver have a long history of being money we could see the reemergence of currencies backed by gold, silver or both. But I don’t think we’ll ever see a world were you can go to the grocery store and buy stuff with a gold or silver coin. And this is why Bitcoin is so revolutionary; I do think that we’ll see a future in which you can buy anything with Bitcoin, so in essence Bitcoin will become the equivalent of electronic gold.

But of course that’s my opinion.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
luciann

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 10:33:24 PM

So basically everyone thinking like that way is wrong? lol.

What if they feel like its a currency as a gambling aspect for only gambling sites. Its still would be form of currency or not?

HarHarHar9965

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 05:04:09 AM

All what you wrote is true and your logic flawless. But I see it in a different perspective.

Gold, Silver and Bitcoin fit the characteristics of money, so to me, it doesn’t matter what the governments of world say, since the three fit the definition.

However, the three have the same problem: adoption. But this could change very rapidly if TSHTF, since Gold and silver have a long history of being money we could see the reemergence of currencies backed by gold, silver or both. But I don’t think we’ll ever see a world were you can go to the grocery store and buy stuff with a gold or silver coin. And this is why Bitcoin is so revolutionary; I do think that we’ll see a future in which you can buy anything with Bitcoin, so in essence Bitcoin will become the equivalent of electronic gold.

But of course that’s my opinion.

sir, here's something which makes it easier to know what truly is money by dividing it and comparing it in terms of qualities which defines what money is. I hope it helps you and makes you choose what is better. This is something I found on the internet so feel free to question it and debate about it, but I find it pretty accurate and actually understandable for all!

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:29:36 PM

Recently I have read a debate if Bitcoin is a currency or technology. It stated there that it is a technology stock and not a currency since the governments have not approved it as a currency. I wanted to know your opinion in this debate. Is bitcoin a currency, or isn't it?

It is so easy to discuss that thing. Bitcoin is a currency made from a technology which is disruptive and will affect most of the actual technology. This disruptive technology will support forever its first product which is bitcoin. It is like mother and child. The mother technology has made a child and has named bitcoin. This mother is very young and will have to many other children. One mother love its children and support and protect those always. The same with the technology behind bitcoin.
NoRespect

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 05:02:06 PM

actually it depends on your point of view, because everyone has a different view  Smiley
pjsonowal

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 06:59:50 PM

Its more kinda of technology than a currency.... This because its technical mechanism and its emergence in the form of digitialised currency... Understanding bitcoin is the awesome thing....

wearepoor

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 07:29:12 PM

As per me Bitcoin is a digital currency which has been produced by technology.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 01:06:08 AM

It's both.

You can say the fiat currency is a technology. Paper is a 5000 year old technology. However fiat currency is not really money if you think about it.

angelakay124

Activity: 126

Crypto-Games.net: DICE, BLACKJACK and SLOT

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:53:44 AM

As These days bit coin can be stored in the form of physical coin. I think bit coin will be considered as a gold which is not a currency but considered as a currency. Bit coin is also easy to transfer worldwide and easy to store. I see lots of potential in bit coin as much as gold has potential.

Provably fair DICE, SLOT and BLACKJACK  
██████████████████████████████████████ CRYPTO-GAMES.NET ██████████████████████████████████████
0.8% House edgeInstant depositFast bets ChatJackpot Starting Faucet 1kMax Faucet 20.5kInvest
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 06:01:24 AM

As These days bit coin can be stored in the form of physical coin. I think bit coin will be considered as a gold which is not a currency but considered as a currency. Bit coin is also easy to transfer worldwide and easy to store. I see lots of potential in bit coin as much as gold has potential.

First time that i hear this. And is totally wrong. Bitcoin have not physical form. There are not physical coins named bitcoin. Maybe are some but are only ornamentation product that don't have any value as currency. Nothing can be bought with those and no one will acept those as currency. Bitcoin is only an internet currency. So it exist only in a digital form as zeros and ones.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 07:02:13 AM

I don't think it matters whatever we decide to call it. It can function as a currency as it is a widely accepted medium of exchange which you can use it to buy, sell or even trade for goods and services. It doesn't matter whether a country endorses it as a legal tender because in reality bitcoin is not owned by anybody. Some will even refer to it as a commodity but i think that is even more confusing.

Ceizer54

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:25:38 AM

bitcoin is 3 things-- currency,technology as well as commodity  Grin
and i personally like it as currency Wink
wikenpp

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:37:10 AM

Recently I have read a debate if Bitcoin is a currency or technology. It stated there that it is a technology stock and not a currency since the governments have not approved it as a currency. I wanted to know your opinion in this debate. Is bitcoin a currency, or isn't it?

I agree with this viewpoint, now paypal use bitcoin technology to create p2p payment, also more bank interesting to adoption blockchain technology
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 07:46:29 AM

According to Wikipedia :

The system works without a central repository or single administrator, which has led the US Treasury to categorize it as a decentralized virtual currency.

So yeah they are taking it as a currency , I personally think it's a currency As-well and the Blockchain is the technology associated with it .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████