Author Topic: .  (Read 5221 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:29:00 PM

This guy has some interesting things to say about consciousness. He is interested in just what it is, and where in the body it happens.(or outside?). You were likely told that it is happens in your connected neurons. But consider an amoeba. It is only one cell, yet it hunts, avoids discomfort, thinks. But where?  His research hints at a quantum effect underlying consciousness and perhaps even life itself. 

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/

Amoebas think? I figured they  just reacted to chemical stimuli depending on whether that stimulation suggests food (compatible with absorption) or danger (can cause bad internal reactions), based only on how its genetic code tells it to interpret that stimulation. What happens if you stab an amoeba with a tiny needle, or show it a piece of art? Will it react?
But then I'm not a cellular biologist, so what do I know.
I'm not a cellular biologist either, I am an evolutionary biologist. And I don't know if Hammeroff and Penrose are on the right track. But I do know that what consciousness and life are is not understood in science. That's what makes it so attractive to study. No one knows yet. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:52:20 PM

Just sit quietly and try to imagine a different past for yourself, imagine you made some important decision in the past in a different way. Your experience of life and your memory of it to this point would be different, but you would still be *you* and you know that. It's empiric, it's part of observable Universe and any theory, simple or otherwise, would need to cope with that at some point.

Does it matter that any different past that I am able to imagine is still based ONLY on my collective experiences? I can imagine different paths that my life could have taken, but the results are still entirely limited by my imagination based on what I have seen and known. It is limited only to what I can describe using words from languages I speak, limited only to places I have seen (either in real life or in pictures/videos), and although I can choose to suspend logic, it's generally only following a sequence of possible events that I would expect it to follow based on my experience of how things follow one another.
In short, for me, there is no *you* that is any more than simply the sum of my life experiences. I also know that if I get a traumatic injury to the brain or a disease like Alzheimer's, I will be a completely different *you*, whereas your theory would suggest that the *you* will remain, because it transcends the physical body.
Can you explain why people with head injuries change personalities and become different *you* people? Or explain what the difference is between you, the brain physically wired to receive experiences and shape who you are, and the *you* that you are talking about? Because besides me having a brain with a differing collection of experiences, I don't get it, and don't see that difference as any more magical than, say, two different rivers that have different shapes and paths.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:14:42 AM

Well, there's you as an ego, the worldly part of the soul, and there's you as consciousness, your spirit.  You always have your spirit, but your ego is temporary, for this life.  Your ego is limited to experiences it's dealt with, while our conscious is connected and contains the experiences of anyone and everyone that's ever lived.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 05:16:22 AM

Well, there's you as an ego, the worldly part of the soul, and there's you as consciousness, your spirit.  You always have your spirit, but your ego is temporary, for this life.  Your ego is limited to experiences it's dealt with, while our conscious is connected and contains the experiences of anyone and everyone that's ever lived.[citation needed]
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:24:27 AM

Just think about it, those are words of our conscious.  All true statements once originated from the conscious.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
TheBible

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:04:30 AM

Hypnosis is quackery, thread topic is mental masturbating horseshit.
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:38:18 AM

Hypnosis is quackery, thread topic is mental masturbating horseshit.

Yep.  A quick search of PsycINFO and PubMed show exactly zero peer-reviewed articles by Mr. Newton (not even any sleazy pay-for-publish journal articles).  Mr. Newton's biography doesn't state where he earned his doctorate meaning at best it's probably from an unaccredited school; at worst, it's from a diploma mill.  He's essentially peddling pseudo-science to people dumb enough to buy into it (e.g. libertarian teens).  What a fucking pile of shit person. 
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:40:09 AM

I just sent a letter to Dr. Newton's publisher about his degree.
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:45:02 AM

Yep, the guy is a fraud. Go figure.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: