Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:11:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people running around saying Bitcoin is intangible / not backed?  (Read 5336 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:48:04 PM

It is backed by mathematics and networks

Since math and science has become the new religion in modern people's life, it is backed by these religion, much stronger than any kind of FIAT currency, which is only backed by one entity

If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:09:04 PM

Bitcoin is backed by cryotographic utility and the userbase advantages it provides in competing against other currencies?

Smiley
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:25:36 PM

I just saw the Félix Moreno de la Cova interview with James Turk, and both of them keep repeating this meme that there is nothing backing Bitcoin.

To me, this is completely wrong. Bitcoin could be seen as a public ledger that tracks ownership of a digital good. In this light, what backs Bitcoin is the collective consensus, plus the physical copies of the blockchain.

I reject the notion that Bitcoin is intangible.

But you could not back that up by reality.
Tangibility, it seems to me, is a pretty well defined word.
So please enlighten us and show us where the tangibility of bitcoin resides.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 09:09:27 PM

All currencies are backed by the faith that you will be able to exchange it for goods and services of greater value (to you) than your own goods and/or services that you exchanged for it.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:19:38 AM

I don't care if it's baked or not.. Fiat are, by definition "not backed by anything that trust in govt"

Do you trust world govts ?

In numeris I trust !

deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 06:22:44 AM

It is backed by mathematics

That's what I always say.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 12:51:31 PM

People who bring up the "not backed" point usually refer to backing as of a gold backed currency.

We should not care about that.
The whole gold backed currencies are historically nothing more than fraud. This was done with the argument of securety and convinience while in reality it was done to inflate the gold supply. In that respect "backed" currencies are worse than bitcoin.
coincollectingenterprises

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 01:15:37 PM

The whole concept of tangible versus intangible when it comes to currencies is flawed. After all, tangible asset holdings are very different when you have say a fluffy pillow versus a banana tree (which also holds different value if you live/don't live where they can actually grow) versus gold versus copper versus farm land versus a mickey mouse alarm clock, etc etc. There's this really great quote from Warren Buffett in an interview where he dives into this:

Warren Buffet: "….Well, I just don’t know. I don’t know whether cotton’s going to go up. I mean, we use a lot of cotton. I’ve watched it go from 80 cents to $1.90. You know, we use a lot of copper and I’ve watched it go from $2 to $4-plus, so I mean there’s all kinds of things in this world that are going to go up and down in price. You know, maybe hamburgers will tomorrow. And— but I— I’m— I don’t know how to judge that.

I do know how to judge to some extent the earning power of some businesses. And the real test of whether you would like it as an investment is whether you would be happy if it never got quoted again, and just in terms of what the asset did for you. But that doesn’t—

I will say this about gold, if you took all of the gold in the world it would roughly make a cube 67 feet on a side. So if you took all the gold in the world, we could have a cube that went down there 67 feet high and that would be the whole thing. Now for that same cube of gold it would be worth at today’s market prices about $7 trillion. That’s probably about a third of the value of all the stocks in the United States.

So you could have a choice of owning a third of all the stocks in the United States or you could have a choice of owning that little block of gold, which can’t do anything but kind of shine there and make you feel like Midas or Croesus or something of the sort.

Now, for $7 trillion, there are roughly a billion of farm— acres of farmland in the United States. They’re valued at about $2 1/2 trillion. It’s about half the continental United States, this farmland. You could have all the farmland in the United States, you could have about seven ExxonMobiles, and you could have $1 trillion of walking around money.

And if you offered me the choice of looking at some 67-foot cube of gold and looking at it all day, you know, I mean touching it and fondling it occasionally, you know, and then saying, you know, `Do something for me,’ and it says, `I don’t do anything. I just stand here and look pretty.’ And the alternative to that was to have all the farmland of the country, everything, cotton, corn, soybeans, seven ExxonMobiles. Just think of that. Add $1 trillion of walking around money.

I, you know, maybe call me crazy but I’ll take the farmland and the ExxonMobiles….."

So yes, Bitcoins are intangible as they are digital. So yes, Bitcoins are tangible because it's backed by a physical network of people and computers, and math. But really, the concept of intangible and tangible when it comes to "backed" currencies is flawed because people lose sight of what actually has real value from a tangible sense of investing.

Tangible and intangible are a philosophical debate anyway as much as liberalism and realism are in the philosophical debate. The key really comes into how we collectively agree to value both terms to see relevance.

(sourced from my own site: http://coincollectingenterprises.com/investment/warren-buffett-gold-useful-vs-useless-investments)
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:49:05 PM

And if you offered me the choice of looking at some 67-foot cube of gold and looking at it all day, you know, I mean touching it and fondling it occasionally, you know, and then saying, you know, `Do something for me,’ and it says, `I don’t do anything. I just stand here and look pretty.’ And the alternative to that was to have all the farmland of the country, everything, cotton, corn, soybeans, seven ExxonMobiles. Just think of that. Add $1 trillion of walking around money.

I, you know, maybe call me crazy but I’ll take the farmland and the ExxonMobiles….."

Put in that situation, I'd choose the farmland and the ExxonMobils, and $1 trillion in gold rather than $1 trillion in cash.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 02:16:13 PM

Put in that situation, I'd choose the farmland and the ExxonMobils, and $1 trillion in gold rather than $1 trillion in cash.

What this interview forgets to mention is the cost of guarding the investment. That is also where the term backing usually comes from:

Historically currency was a receipt for an amount of grain, and that grain had to be guarded by an army. The value the receipt had was affected by the amount and the power of the army guarding the grain.
Ownership means nothing without power.
mobodick

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:06:40 PM

What this interview forgets to mention is the cost of guarding the investment. That is also where the term backing usually comes from:

Historically currency was a receipt for an amount of grain, and that grain had to be guarded by an army. The value the receipt had was affected by the amount and the power of the army guarding the grain.

You should generalize this to something like "Ownership means nothing without a way to protect it."
I don't think that power is the only way to protect something altho historically it was just the easiest way. One of the better things about protecting something with an army is that you show off your army. That deters potential attackers.
So this relation of protecting the heap is not so easily defined in terms of just power.
I could pretend that i was protecting something with an army but in actuality i have the thing of value in another place. In this case i protect my ownership with misinformation, not power.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:13:44 PM

You should generalize this to something like "Ownership means nothing without a way to protect it."
I don't think that power is the only way to protect something altho historically it was just the easiest way. One of the better things about protecting something with an army is that you show off your army. That deters potential attackers.
So this relation of protecting the heap is not so easily defined in terms of just power.
I could pretend that i was protecting something with an army but in actuality i have the thing of value in another place. In this case i protect my ownership with misinformation, not power.

Of course you're right.  
But you can't hide farmland, at least not practically. And when it comes down to it that is the one asset which constitudes the ultimate wealth.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 06:45:46 PM

Just because it intangible - doesn't mean it isn't valuable.

See: God

Just because it isn't back by anything doesn't make it worthless.

See: Feelings

deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:34:48 PM

So bicoin is like God and Feelings?

Oh my...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 09:52:19 PM

Backing is a promise. Bitcoin = no promise. That's why I want them. It's not a flaw.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 11:03:58 PM

Oh my...

Well, you're obviously having trouble explaining it to  a certain segment of society who aren't... shall we say... well educated on technology. Using these words makes reassures them... without them even knowing.

Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 05:36:29 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2012, 06:07:39 PM by Gatorhex

Next time someone tells you bitcoins are worthless, ask them to mine one for you.
Only once they've spent the time and resources mining one will they understand it's value.

As for fiat being backed by nothing.
It's a debt note and it's backed by someones need to earn the debt note to pay down their debts.
As long as there is still debt you hold a unit of human labour time. (some might even call then slavery units) Roll Eyes
mobodick

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:28:48 PM

Next time someone tells you bitcoins are worthless, ask them to mine one for you.
Only once they've spent the time and resources mining one will they understand it's value.

As for fiat being backed by nothing.
It's a debt note and it's backed by someones need to earn the debt note to pay down their debts.
As long as there is still debt you hold a unit of human labour time. (some might even call then slavery units) Roll Eyes

Mining has a very strange relation to bitcoin.
Realistically speaking, no matter how much energy you expend on mining the amount of coin created per time unit is constant.
I'm not sure that maps one to one to other things.
I think it is difficult to understand bitcoins value by just looking at mining.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 09:03:21 PM

That's a poor example. That is called the "labor theory of value" and it is no longer generally accepted. It's not the mining that gives it value. You can argue that if mining cost nothing, then the supply of bitcoins would be infinite (and its value would be 0), but that is still not what it derives its value from. One day, you will no longer be able to mine bitcoins at all. Will its value then become infinite (or 0)?

The value of a bitcoin is simply what someone will trade for it, just like everything else.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 10:38:41 PM

As are all currencies and dieties.  They are all based and backed by faith.

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: