Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:42:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will price start tanking?  (Read 1452 times)
Brad Harrison (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 09:45:10 AM

Since pretty much Bitcoin XT is here and it's a whole new fork, do you guys think we will see a decline in the current bitcoin price?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 09:55:47 AM

i think you should do a bit more research in what bitcoin xt really is, before opening a nonsense thread. then you know what i mean.
amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 10:00:18 AM

Since pretty much Bitcoin XT is here and it's a whole new fork, do you guys think we will see a decline in the current bitcoin price?

what you asking dude Wink BTCitcoin is far away from these things with real adoption around the globe so it can't make affect on it's price or growth, make some research about BTCitcoin and than you can know what is it in real.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 12:48:50 PM

- snip -
Bitcoin XT is . . . a whole new fork
- snip -

You are mistaken.

It is not a new fork.  It is just another wallet.  Just like MultiBit and Electrum are not new forks.

It could switch to a new fork in the future, but it hasn't yet and there is no guarantee that it ever will.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:15:28 PM

- snip -
Bitcoin XT is . . . a whole new fork
- snip -

You are mistaken.

It is not a new fork.  It is just another wallet.  Just like MultiBit and Electrum are not new forks.

It could switch to a new fork in the future, but it hasn't yet and there is no guarantee that it ever will.

This, and not only this. For the fork to happen a super consensus of like 90% (correct me if im wrong) will be needed. Also, when the fork happens, you will get your Core coins into XT wallet automatically.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:37:59 PM

Ya I run XT and its run on top of core.  My coins are the same as any other bitcoins. 
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 03:44:35 PM

As far as the future price... You can ask and ask all you want, but you will never get anything but guesses. No one knows the future. All you can do is delude yourself into thinking you are the exception.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 07:27:26 PM

If the software is very similar with the bitcoin core.

Whats the point of having bitcoin xt? Is it like an insurance incase if the core ever failed on you? and if thats the case those odds are non existent.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 09:38:35 PM

Whats the point of having bitcoin xt? Is it like an insurance incase if the core ever failed on you? and if thats the case those odds are non existent.

Well isn't the point of the XT just a hope that the majority of bitcoin users will update towards the XT and in that way support the block size increase?

If I am right than you have a point very well explained, the point is that we get bigger blocks.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 10:51:00 PM

Well isn't the point of the XT just a hope that the majority of bitcoin users will update towards the XT and in that way support the block size increase?

If I am right than you have a point very well explained, the point is that we get bigger blocks.

This is correct.  XT nodes currently at 133.  I wouldn't even give this scenario any thought until XT nodes is around 1000.  Right now it looks like there is no chance of a majority going to XT.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 01:52:58 AM

This is correct.  XT nodes currently at 133.  I wouldn't even give this scenario any thought until XT nodes is around 1000.  Right now it looks like there is no chance of a majority going to XT.

XT v0.11 isn't even out yet, which contains the block size limit increase.  Once this is available, then nodes will start switching over.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:07:36 AM

It's  not a fork yet but soon will be.
This will be one of the most devastating events in the history of bit coin. I can see it become a much bigger disaster than the whole MtGox drama tbh.
We could be looking at a value well under $100.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
malphite

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

This will be one of the most devastating events in the history of bit coin. I can see it become a much bigger disaster than the whole MtGox drama tbh.

Everyone keeps mentioning the fork, but is the fork can be avoided since we were working on increasing the size of the transaction right.

Or even doing this still effects the btc speed of transaction. If it drops to $100.. thats going to create crazy storm for buying...
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 03:26:46 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2015, 03:40:44 AM by Mickeyb

It's  not a fork yet but soon will be.

So we might end up with 2 chains at the end and a divided community, am I right? And to choose which chain we would follow and will we own "old bitcoin" or "new bitcoin xt" would just depend on which client we decide to run, a core or the xt, right?

Essentially, we will choose will we own for example 3 btc of old ord 3 btc of new, xt btc. Price tanking seems possible if this was to happen!
HeliKopterBen

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:22:37 AM

75% hashrate is required for the change so there will be no real fork.  In other words, we will have one clearly dominant chain.  It will be a non-event and we will just start seeing >1mb blocks after Jan 1 2016.  If there is any effect on price at all, it will probably rise.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
malzahar

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:53:50 AM

75% hashrate is required for the change so there will be no real fork.  In other words, we will have one clearly dominant chain.  It will be a non-event and we will just start seeing >1mb blocks after Jan 1 2016.  If there is any effect on price at all, it will probably rise.

But by then we would have a 2 mb increase right?

Someone mentioned this about on reddit and they had a whole debate about it and I think it was anderson or someone who brought it up to avoid the madness before its too late to fix.
HeliKopterBen

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 05:30:40 AM

But by then we would have a 2 mb increase right?

Someone mentioned this about on reddit and they had a whole debate about it and I think it was anderson or someone who brought it up to avoid the madness before its too late to fix.

1mb limit until Jan 1 2016, then an 8mb limit after Jan 1, doubling every 2 yrs.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:36:41 AM
Last edit: August 11, 2015, 11:25:20 AM by Amph

It's  not a fork yet but soon will be.

uhm there was already an hard fork in the past and that fork did not caused any damage to the price, actually there was a big bubble around it, i doubt the entity of this one is bigger than that because this is expected the old one was not

so no, 100 in value will not happen deal with it
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:27:38 AM

uhm there was already an hard fork in the past and that fork did not caused any damage to the price, actually there wasa  big bubble around it, i doubt the entity of this one is bigger than that because this is expected the old one was not

so no, 100 in value will not happen deal with it

Well back in the time Bitcoin was still even more primitive and less populated, now we got more people that may be prone to panic sell. In any case, hard fork can only happen if consensus is reached so who cares, it will never be a catastrophe, it will be a democratic change.
BTCjust

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:15:39 AM

don't worry
$250 or so price will continue to the end of year
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: