Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:42:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTS Home Depot Gift Cards  (Read 6119 times)
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 06:22:42 AM

I also think this is legitimate simply because its been a year since he's been doing this and I think that if they were from an illegal source at least once person would of reported being contacted by the police or home depot to report that the card they used was acquired illegally.

Just for what it's worth, let's pretend someone was selling store-credit cards acquired by returning shoplifted merchandise for credit.  Just to make it clear, I am not accusing the OP of stealing the cards offered for sale, but simply addressing the potential for fallacy of the conclusion above.

Home Depot doesn't ask for your contact information when you buy something in person with a gift card, so unless they can stop and talk to you right then and there, they're never going to contact you.

Agreed they get your contact information when you buy something online.  But if they know the card has stolen funds, I think they would just deactivate the card before you had a chance to use it.  It's pretty unlikely that they would leave it active, wait for somebody to order something online, and then send the police to your door, without any evidence that you (as the user of the card) were the shoplifter who originally acquired it, or even the person who placed the order online.  It would be an enormous publicity disaster for them, they wouldn't even consider it.

If a shoplifter is caught stealing and returning merchandise for credit, he is probably going to be caught in the act.  In that case, they will surely retain any merchandise or cards in his possession during the bust.  But if he gets caught on his 10th time after successfully leaving with good store credit 9 previous times, how is the store going to know that, let alone know the serial numbers of the cards he received in order to deactivate them?  Simple, they aren't, at least not immediately.  So those cards are going to appear "good" and remain "good" indefinitely.  The fact that the cards remain good doesn't prove in and of itself that they were acquired legitimately.

It is always possible that law enforcement or the store might get lucky during their investigation and figure out serial numbers of stolen cards (e.g. through surveillance recordings, or by coming across an unexpected opportunity to seize the original cards still possessed by the shoplifter much later, such as from his home, or if he is persuaded to hand them over in an effort to cooperate or mitigate his punishment.)  If this happened, it would almost certainly result in cards that mysteriously stop working for reasons the Home Depot customer service will refuse to explain.

For what its worth lets pretend that you have a life outside of harassing random forum users because you have nothing better to do, and it makes you feel special, like some kind of self proclaimed ambassador for example. We have lots of big boys n girls here who can make decisions perfectly well without your theorizing, baseless conjecture, and babysitting. Try criticizing a user you have actually traded with for a change, or get a life. Whichever comes first.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frank90 (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:50:11 AM

I made few days ago a succesfull transaction with casacious. I will PM him to confirm this trans. Was a nice amount transaction.

in this moment HD stock is 0, but I have left some iTunes Gift Cards.
$50 value and 1 of 25. You pay 80% from the value of the card.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:15:58 AM

I made few days ago a succesfull transaction with casacious. I will PM him to confirm this trans. Was a nice amount transaction.

in this moment HD stock is 0, but I have left some iTunes Gift Cards.
$50 value and 1 of 25. You pay 80% from the value of the card.

Possibly for Casascius Coins, but not any gift cards.  Though I must say 20-30% off is a pretty good offer.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
frank90 (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:20:50 AM

LOL.
I made a big mistake, the transaction was made with user @cablepair . Very sorry Smiley.
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 01:29:43 AM

fwiw: I trust frank, I bought $1000 worth of home depot ecards for an amazing price. They will be used well while setting up the new office space for BTCFPGA and getting the bASIC processing room ready.

as far as casascius goes, I trust that man with my private keys and that's like trusting a man with your woman Wink
gabbynot

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:13:49 AM

Join the club.
gabbynot

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:36:32 AM

When the same thing happened to me, he gave me a story about how nigerian scammers must have hacked into my email account to steal my HD codes.   Roll Eyes
gabbynot

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:35:39 PM

Scam accusation thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117198.0
frank90 (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 11:44:11 PM

Things beetween me and gabbynot are cleared. I payed from my own pocket. Same will do with deego, I already contacted him to see how he prefer to get refound but no response until now.
@gabbynot please confirm.

From now on, ALL THE CARDS I WILL SELL HERE WILL BE IN THIS WAY:

*you will pay only after you will use the card. I can give 1-2 days to use the card from the day of sending. Not more than 2 days because I cannot stay with the money blocked, and also receive orders to deal locally on my craiglist.

Because i will deal in this way I reserve the right to refuse transactions with small activity users from here. I cant give cards first to users who have 15 posts here.

In this moment HD stock is 0. Anyway @cablepair said he will buy ALL i will get in the next period.
I have for sale iTunes GC ( 50% discount! ) and Old Navy (regular 30% discount).

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 11:47:50 PM

Great... think you could let the rest of us get a couple Cablepair? I have been waiting for months.
frank90 (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:01:06 AM

@Tecshare, I remember we talked about 2 x $100 few weeks ago but I didnt complete your order. You will be contacted when I will have on stock in the front of cablepair.. But I dont have a clear date, I hope to get as fast as possible.
Thanks.
gabbynot

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:34:42 AM

Yep, frank90 and I have reached a suitable resolution; I'm very glad we were able to work things out.

(We still don't know exactly what happened to the "deactivated" cards, however)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: