Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:24:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mulitsig across different wallet implemetations?  (Read 2321 times)
Cubic Earth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 02:07:57 AM

Multisig wallets have come a long way, but for the ultimate in usable security, it will be important to have a 2 of 3 (or 3 of 4) setup with different devices, each running different brands of wallet software.  Every mulitsig implementation that I know about only works with wallets from the same developers.  Does anyone know of different wallets that can multisig with each other?  And is there any sort of interoperability protocol that has been proposed or published?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 11:32:07 AM

I haven't found any wallet which matches to your description.

-snip-
Every mulitsig implementation that I know about only works with wallets from the same developers.  Does anyone know of different wallets that can multisig with each other?
 -snip-

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Why can't you use a same wallet?

Cubic Earth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 06:13:53 PM

Using multiple implementations to secure funds would reduce the required trust the user would place in one set of developers.  Malice and incompetence on the part of the developers are both risks in wallet implementations, as would be some kind of MITM attack where an adulterated version is downloaded.

It currently takes a very careful user to properly handle bitcoin security, so I don't recommend to friends and family that they store any significant value on their own.  If I could tell them to download Electrum on their laptop, Armory on the old computer in the closet, and put Breadwallet on their iPhone, and chose a 2-of-3 or 3-or-3 setup, IMO that would be very hard to compromise.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 11:42:13 AM

Using multiple implementations to secure funds would reduce the required trust the user would place in one set of developers.  Malice and incompetence on the part of the developers are both risks in wallet implementations, as would be some kind of MITM attack where an adulterated version is downloaded.

It currently takes a very careful user to properly handle bitcoin security, so I don't recommend to friends and family that they store any significant value on their own.  If I could tell them to download Electrum on their laptop, Armory on the old computer in the closet, and put Breadwallet on their iPhone, and chose a 2-of-3 or 3-or-3 setup, IMO that would be very hard to compromise.

I got your point but if you are afraid the developer might put suspicious codes, it is better not to update software or ask a trusted developer to verify codes. FWIW, it will be hard for a developer of a know Bitcoin wallet to push a suspicious code. Codes are being reviewed very frequently but still is better not to rely on other's words unless you trust him/her. Just don't update and that's all what I can say atm.

Cubic Earth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 10:18:45 PM

I am going to bump this thread again, because I am still hoping someone knows something they can share.

Restating the question form my OP:

Does anyone know of different wallets that can multisig with each other?  And is there any sort of interoperability protocol that has been proposed or published?
moug

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:43:49 AM

I agree with OP maybe you could import the key's to a lightweight wallet like Multibit, or another one.
The Bitcoin Core works fine but if you have a slow ip speed and didn't update for a while it could make problems.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: