Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:06:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 and Bitcoin Discussion  (Read 7296 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:46:29 AM

Format your hard drive & install linux distro such as ubuntu, debian or linux mint. You don't have to worry about your privacy anymore.
Or just use older windows version

true but some users are so used to using windows that they naturally would upgrade to version 10 if it is free.

I have some older versions of windows in VM that I use from time to time but I dont think I will be upgrading to windows 10 anytime in the near future if ever.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:47:16 AM

Format your hard drive & install linux distro such as ubuntu, debian or linux mint. You don't have to worry about your privacy anymore.

thats what i do.
i just need a windows install for some games (sadly wine doesnt support anything newer than dx9)

it seems ms has lost any vision and is driven only by management nowadays (not that it was much better in the past. but atm they just fuck their customers)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:48:37 AM

true but some users are so used to using windows that they naturally would upgrade to version 10 if it is free.

I have some older versions of windows in VM that I use from time to time but I dont think I will be upgrading to windows 10 anytime in the near future if ever.

i wonder what bigger companies will do.
i dont think they'll accept this new ms policy or are business version without spyware?

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:52:36 AM

IMO nothing is for free.
There is always a catch.

Also, has anybody considered the fact that the new "free" windows come with some sort of mining apps that start as a service (apart from the data mining)?
I have not used win10 (nor am I planning to at the mo), so can someone verify the claims of this OP and also do a little digging around the OS?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 12:08:25 PM

I would just add that whoever upgraded (not performed a clean install) from Windows 8 or 7 you should go downgrade right now. AFAIK the option to downgrade is there only 1 month after you upgrade according to the settings. I'm in the process of reverting to Windows 8.1 right now. It's a shame that Microsoft is doing this. I might even just start fresh with a pirated (intended) Windows 7 edition on the laptop as well.
Using Bitcoin or any other encrypted service (such as e-mails) is pointless on Windows 10.

While these privacy concerns might be exaggerated, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:30:29 PM

I would just add that whoever upgraded (not performed a clean install) from Windows 8 or 7 you should go downgrade right now. AFAIK the option to downgrade is there only 1 month after you upgrade according to the settings. I'm in the process of reverting to Windows 8.1 right now. It's a shame that Microsoft is doing this. I might even just start fresh with a pirated (intended) Windows 7 edition on the laptop as well.
Using Bitcoin or any other encrypted service (such as e-mails) is pointless on Windows 10.

While these privacy concerns might be exaggerated, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes I did it after 10 minutes only.
Windows 10 is simply crap!

Then when you downgrade also do this to remove the icon and the upgrade request or it will ask you again to do that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

And, lastly, go to explorer and clean the updates you downloaded to save up to 4 GB!!!
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:05:45 PM

With all this crazy control shit that Windows is trying to get, sooner or later I'll be using Linux only!
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:09:05 PM

With all this crazy control shit that Windows is trying to get, sooner or later I'll be using Linux only!

why not now?
it takes a little time to get used to it, but when the switch is done you dont want to look back

eg small things like removing/renaming files while using them has made my life easier - and thats just a very small example

BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:03:06 PM

OTHER CONCERNS

"While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted."

Shocked Shocked Shocked

This would be completely unacceptable and evil if it didn't have this context-
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/issues/19

"The only IPs that are white listed in the DNS dll are update servers, activation servers, support and MSDN."

Hard-coding those Ip's around HOSTs makes a lot of sense because it is perfectly understandable for MSFT to insist upon collecting errors and patching botnet computers.

The concern I have with windows 10 is MSFT adapting the domains and servers gathering data continuously. I suppose we will see with time.

They made it impossible to downgrade back to an older version where you have control of your computer.

This is false as you can easily revert back to windows 7 or 8 with a single click in settings. I just did it on a computer yesterday.

Free windows 10 is the definition of a government honeypot.

Windows and OSX have had backdoor accessible to them and likely agencies like the NSA for many years before windows 10. They aren't secure OS's if you are a journalist, political activist, whistleblower, Network admin, or criminal. Don't use these OS for those purposes.

why not now?
it takes a little time to get used to it, but when the switch is done you dont want to look back

I love many distros of linux and open source but this is not realistic to do for many people. Linux doesn't have the driver support that MS has and many programs that people need aren't available on linux. Open source alternatives fall short too. I.E...  Gimp is not anywhere as good as photoshop and open/libre/star office is shit compared to MS office.

onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:39:14 PM

I love many distros of linux and open source but this is not realistic to do for many people. Linux doesn't have the driver support that MS has and many programs that people need aren't available on linux. Open source alternatives fall short too. I.E...  Gimp is not anywhere as good as photoshop and open/libre/star office is shit compared to MS office.

that only means that comfort is more important than privacy to you - which is fine.
my privacy is very important to me. even if windows could print food for free i wouldnt use it...

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:47:45 PM

They made it impossible to downgrade back to an older version where you have control of your computer.
This is false as you can easily revert back to windows 7 or 8 with a single click in settings. I just did it on a computer yesterday.
It is partially false, and the word easily can not be used. You can only downgrade up until 1 month after upgrading, after which this option gets disabled. Also downgrading tends to cause problem, like in my case. I can't connect to any website using any browser no more. Looks like I have to start fresh.

Windows and OSX have had backdoor accessible to them and likely agencies like the NSA for many years before windows 10. They aren't secure OS's if you are a journalist, political activist, whistleblower, Network admin, or criminal. Don't use these OS for those purposes.
Source?

Update:
I reverted back to Windows 7 immediately and because I used Windows 10 for awhile with some files on it, is it possible that all of the information already stored in my computer had been mined? Just a thought.
Possibly.
Not comfort primarily, but the functionality within these apps are what people see that's why they tend to use it over the other.
It is about comfort. The average user does not use Photoshop nor do they need the extensive functionality of MS Office.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:51:45 PM

I have upgraded my laptop a few days back with some of my hot wallet files on it. I stumbled upon some article regarding the bugs and other unknown privacy issues that may access sensitive information to the user (such as data mining and backdoors). I reverted back to Windows 7 immediately and because I used Windows 10 for awhile with some files on it, is it possible that all of the information already stored in my computer had been mined? Just a thought.

I love many distros of linux and open source but this is not realistic to do for many people. Linux doesn't have the driver support that MS has and many programs that people need aren't available on linux. Open source alternatives fall short too. I.E...  Gimp is not anywhere as good as photoshop and open/libre/star office is shit compared to MS office.

that only means that comfort is more important than privacy to you - which is fine.
my privacy is very important to me. even if windows could print food for free i wouldnt use it...

Not comfort primarily, but the functionality within these apps are what people see that's why they tend to use it over the other.
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:58:20 PM

You can have both. Half of my computers run Linux and I have a KVM which allows me to switch between windows and linux with a simple click.

It is partially false, and the word easily can not be used. You can only downgrade up until 1 month after upgrading, after which this option gets disabled. Also downgrading tends to cause problem, like in my case. I can't connect to any website using any browser no more. Looks like I have to start fresh.

Source?

Clean installs are always best, but the revert I did yesterday was bug free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/01/nsa_helps_micro_1.html
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:58:59 PM

I have upgraded my laptop a few days back with some of my hot wallet files on it. I stumbled upon some article regarding the bugs and other unknown privacy issues that may access sensitive information to the user (such as data mining and backdoors). I reverted back to Windows 7 immediately and because I used Windows 10 for awhile with some files on it, is it possible that all of the information already stored in my computer had been mined? Just a thought.

I love many distros of linux and open source but this is not realistic to do for many people. Linux doesn't have the driver support that MS has and many programs that people need aren't available on linux. Open source alternatives fall short too. I.E...  Gimp is not anywhere as good as photoshop and open/libre/star office is shit compared to MS office.

that debate again?
what functionality is provided by photoshop and msoffice which cannot be done with gimp and open|star-office?

to be honest: i dont know photoshop nor gimp very well - but i used mso and staroffice very often (even used mso apis to automate customer-letters for a german bank).

anyhow: linux requires learning. much learning. which takes time. once this time is spent linux people are more happy and have a better system (functionality wise) than win users.

to provide an example which fits the topic: i dont want to check every ms update if i need to update my prevent phone-home capability apps.

only thing are games. i have a win install for them. i'll update that to windows 10. but hey: only games... let ms see that i think there os is a console Wink

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:10:54 PM

that debate again?
what functionality is provided by photoshop and msoffice which cannot be done with gimp and open|star-office?

It doesn't sound to me that you have spent much time using and comparing both. Not only are there many differences in features but some of these open source products are buggy and use too many system resources. I periodically download and test thunderbird/open/star/libre office because I would really love to use them over MS Office. But they aren't anywhere near as good. Gimp has come a very long way and isn't half bad but Photoshop is miles ahead in its features and abilities.

Lets be honest with ourselves here and acknowledge that while there are some amazing pieces of open source software (I.E.. VLC) , there are some horrific ones as well. Some people simply need to get the work done efficiently and need to use the right tools to do so rather than demanding everything they touch is open source.
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:16:39 PM

that debate again?

It doesn't sound to me that you have spent much time using and comparing both. Not only are there many differences in features but some of these open source products are buggy and use too many system resources. I periodically download and test thunderbird/open/star/libre office because I would really love to use them over MS Office. But they aren't anywhere near as good. Gimp has come a very long way and isn't half bad but Photoshop is miles ahead in its features and abilities.

Lets be honest with ourselves here and acknowledge that while there are some amazing pieces of open source software (I.E.. VLC) , there are some horrific ones as well. Some people simply need to get the work done efficiently and need to use the right tools to do so rather than demanding everything they touch is open source.

i dont demand that anything is opensource.
i do have commercial software - even for linux.

and i have spent much time using both... i was a windows dev (pensionated now) and used windows at work. but at home i use linux because for me it is easier to use and has more functionality.

as i said: to really see the differences someone needs to use linux for more than a year. solely. its hard to switch and at first linux looks all complicated. but that changes after you have used it a long time.

btw i know two professional photographers which use linux only. so i dont think the differences between gimp and photoshop are that big. but i dont use them so i cant say anything about it.

i still think it boils down to comfort and "afraid of learning/changes"

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:24:34 PM

That's certainly part of it, but keep in mind that many people need to work with others in teams so it is beneficial to use the same software for compatibility reasons and ease of familiarity when jumping between devices. Consistency is one important factor in efficiency. I use linux daily, and would certainly prefer to switch completely over but unfortunately linux on the desktop is still not ready.
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:27:55 PM

That's certainly part of it, but keep in mind that many people need to work with others in teams so it is beneficial to use the same software for compatibility reasons and ease of familiarity when jumping between devices. Consistency is one important factor in efficiency. I use linux daily, and would certainly prefer to switch completely over but unfortunately linux on the desktop is still not as optimal as osx/win.

at work i dont have a problem with windows. because any bigger company should have someone who checks updates and flag them for their users. but in general i dont really care what companies use: they should evaluate for themselves.

i just think that for private pc's linux is better.
but thats my opinion: ofc you are free to have your own. i dont even want to make you switch! this sub-topic started only because i was interested why somebody who said "maybe i'll switch" did not switch at that very moment.

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:34:49 PM

i just think that for private pc's linux is better.
but thats my opinion: ofc you are free to have your own.

Agreed and I hope one day I can completely switch over.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 06:06:32 PM

I just checked the latest Windows 10 version and it works pretty fast. I did not know that it has such privacy issues but I doubt that it's a bug as leaking private information to microsoft is so cheesy. Windows versions always have a compatibility issue and some online wallets may not even work with Windows 10. It's better to have Windows 8 and 10 installed on your machine to switch between the versions.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: