Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:07:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer R1  (Read 9512 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 06:19:44 AM

Firmware and dozens of different manufacturers plague this router field.  Who has ever bought that couple hundred dollar router only to find it connects slower than your previous one?  It's definately not an easy field to be in and not as easy as Bitmain thinks.  They better get their support staff ready.  Too many variables plague the wireless standard.
I am sure most will be buying as bridges for their antminers, this was probably in the works since they started removing wifi from their miners and kept ethernet as the only connection. I know I own bridges just for miners myself.

I think it will be just a fun toy for miners.  I'm not sure they will really buy for using as a router. I know it won't compare to my nighthawk router.  So I won't be using it as a main router.

My biggest hope is still that it runs stick miners through usb port and not just a charger there.   I think if it mined a little and could plug in stick miners it would be a nice device to fool around with.
I haven't seen too many of those travel routers have the kind of capability, I think the most you will get is 4g celluar sticks to run the internet (which is very nice for certain uses) and let you use the Ethernet port from that.

The only hope is tplink nano has 2 versions.  One has regular usb port other does not. The tplink nano with the regular usb port was able to run openwrt.

Avalon took advantage of this and made a version that tplink nano with usb port could run their 4.1's I know of (could have done others not sure on that).  But Avalon showed it could be done on using a router to run gear.

I'm hoping bitmain will do this, but I doubt it.  I have a feeling it's a charging port.   I hope to be wrong.

And as far as my nighthawk router I was blown away.  It is pretty much a computer in that thing.  I was able to combine 2 networks I had split up as the routers had trouble with all the devices.   Also could handle gigabit internet so very happy there.  I had to upgrade for my internet upgrade.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 11:38:24 AM

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 12:31:36 PM

Very interestin has U3 like box.  How did you manage to get tis pic? I'm not seeing it on site.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 01:11:45 PM

whoops.  source (it's in the pic but I get most people don't hang out there): @笛笛-AntMiner weibo; http://www.weibo.com/5108923240/CBSYcvmCJ

Judging by the prongs, it should be a fairly compact package Smiley

fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 02:30:39 PM

I use a tplink mini router in client mode for each group of miners I have in a different area.  It's way easier and cleaner than running Ethernet everywhere.  They effectively make your miner wireless.  These will be able to do the same while adding a tiny amount of hash. 

Hopefully Bitmain can add open source tie ins for developers to make these what the 21 comp should be.

Needs to be $50 or less.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 03:39:56 PM

I use a tplink mini router in client mode for each group of miners I have in a different area.  It's way easier and cleaner than running Ethernet everywhere.  They effectively make your miner wireless.  These will be able to do the same while adding a tiny amount of hash. 

Hopefully Bitmain can add open source tie ins for developers to make these what the 21 comp should be.

Needs to be $50 or less.

I agree on it should be 50 or less.  But I think chances are 75-100 is my rough guess.   They tend to price things higher.   

It truly is nothing special though a tplink mini and one of sidehacks compacs is what this is competing with.
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 07:43:41 PM

Looks like the Router is hatching.

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150915040859863u4Bgg9SX069F

However at only 5.5GH/S that sounds like a BM1384 at 100MHz.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 08:19:03 PM

Looks like the Router is hatching.

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150915040859863u4Bgg9SX069F

However at only 5.5GH/S that sounds like a BM1384 at 100MHz.

Rich
Hmmm I wonder if the price is the cost to make one? Maybe we will see these at 20$ with the 5gh/s in it, free hash sure is nice.

I think there was a screw up on cost.  I wonder the same it looks very possible to be cost.   

The part about only 10 for international sales makes me also wonder if they are going to be selling in packs of 10.   On U3's they have kept a high min order.   So I wonder if 10 is their number for R1.

As far as speed unless it allows overclock sidehacks compac can get 3x the speed they advertise on R1.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 08:31:13 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2015, 08:54:43 PM by Biodom

Hmmm I wonder if the price is the cost to make one? Maybe we will see these at 20$ with the 5gh/s in it, free hash sure is nice.

I think there was a screw up on cost.  I wonder the same it looks very possible to be cost.  

The part about only 10 for international sales makes me also wonder if they are going to be selling in packs of 10.   On U3's they have kept a high min order.   So I wonder if 10 is their number for R1.

As far as speed unless it allows overclock sidehacks compac can get 3x the speed they advertise on R1.

sorry, internal, not international.
selling to their own team to check bugs.
it should never even be posted on the site
1kg!? it is 2.2 lb-pretty hefty for a router.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 08:36:13 PM

I think there was a screw up on cost.  I wonder the same it looks very possible to be cost.  

The part about only 10 for international sales makes me also wonder if they are going to be selling in packs of 10.   On U3's they have kept a high min order.   So I wonder if 10 is their number for R1.

sorry, internal, not international.
selling to their own team to check bugs.
it should never even be posted on the site

Interesting I did read wrong I word there.  Who is the internal sales for?  Seems like they would give them to internal for finding not sell it and pay for bugs.

I still wonder on price if that is close to their costs.   I really would like to get one to play with.    I don't think they will but I really hope that usb is not just charge that it could power a usb miner.   Even if they set it up where you could plug in U3 would be interesting.  But I'm guessing just charging port.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 09:01:44 PM

I would guess that idea here was to "sell" to folks within Bitmain (e.g. employees) at a small price and let them act as "Beta Testers". They spend a smallish amount of money, play with it, and if they find a problem, they get a .1 BTC reward. If this is correct, we shouldn't infer much of anything based on the price mentioned. It might be cost, or it might be less. It might be just enough that some folks can participate and do some testing. The price needs to be enough to make a person interested in doing it, but not too little.

This is consistent with the 'withdrawal" statement.
Subw

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 08:47:47 AM

That R1 thingy is a waste of chips and resources.
QuintLeo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 10:06:40 AM

current (but inactive on sales) link

$29 + shipping (on the CURRENT page link) for what it is IMO is badly overpriced.

Even if you get a major break on shipping on a bulk buy, still a waste.

Note that I don't have or use any form of wireless networking, never have never intend to, this thing might be worth more to someone that does.

The $5ish price seems to have been specifically for internal beta-testing buyers, but even at THAT price it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

The actual "kiss of death" for me was the part about being FORCED to use the Antpool "solo" pool. That's just RUDE.

The current link DOES indicate that the Antrouter can be used to run several U3s - so the USB port appears to be a connection, not just for charging.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:11:54 AM

The actual "kiss of death" for me was the part about being FORCED to use the Antpool "solo" pool. That's just RUDE.

Agreed, this is a NOGO for me as well.  User must be able to select pool or this will fail U3 style.

Defaulting to Antpool is fine; but Forcing it is unacceptable. 

You need to rethink this Bitmain.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 12:22:56 PM

current (but inactive on sales) link

$29 + shipping (on the CURRENT page link) for what it is IMO is badly overpriced.

Even if you get a major break on shipping on a bulk buy, still a waste.

Note that I don't have or use any form of wireless networking, never have never intend to, this thing might be worth more to someone that does.

The $5ish price seems to have been specifically for internal beta-testing buyers, but even at THAT price it doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

The current link DOES indicate that the Antrouter can be used to run several U3s - so the USB port appears to be a connection, not just for charging.

Is it really inactive?  It shows you can add to cart on mine. 

But it is not on the page showing active products.
RichBC

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 12:23:39 PM

Not only is it forced to Antpool but it's also Solo Mining / Lottery Mode. Would have probably bought one to play with if it was configurable. Guess we will just have to wait for someone to hack the code.  Smiley

I think by using the earlier link we are actually getting to a product that is not really for sale yet? If only we wanted it.  Smiley

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 12:36:55 PM

Not only is it forced to Antpool but it's also Solo Mining / Lottery Mode. Would have probably bought one to play with if it was configurable. Guess we will just have to wait for someone to hack the code.  Smiley

I think by using the earlier link we are actually getting to a product that is not really for sale yet? If only we wanted it.  Smiley

Rich

Yea earlier one for internal it did not sell.  But it now shows it being able to add to cart on - https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150915040859863u4Bgg9SX069F

Did not proceed as I'm afraid to order with it not on main page.  Also ouch I got around 18 dollars on shipment cost when I tried to look at cart.   Almost cost of entire unit for shipping.
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 01:04:44 PM

very interest machine and i think this will be the future of the bitcoin mining. It seems that is not a mining machine but a wifi hotspot with a mining chip inside

1. General Wireless Router

Keep the R1 plugged in at home for use as a standard wireless router, keeping your phones and computers connected to the internet at home or at the office.

2. Mini WiFi Access Point

Use the R1 on either a wired or wireless internet connection while on the go to create your own wireless access point.

3. High Speed USB Charger

Use the onboard battery to keep your devices charged while traveling. Suitable for charging mobile phones and tablet computers.

4. Bitcoin Mining Host

i like to buy a wifi access point and i think this machine is the best choice.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
RichBC

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 01:22:31 PM

I think by using the earlier link we are actually getting to a product that is not really for sale yet? If only we wanted it.  Smiley

Rich

Yea earlier one for internal it did not sell.  But it now shows it being able to add to cart on - https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150915040859863u4Bgg9SX069F

Did not proceed as I'm afraid to order with it not on main page.  Also ouch I got around 18 dollars on shipment cost when I tried to look at cart.   Almost cost of entire unit for shipping.

Shipment to the UK is actually more than the product cost. If you click to order at the moment it then shows Sold Out.

Rich

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:51:00 PM

Rich

Shipment to the UK is actually more than the product cost. If you click to order at the moment it then shows Sold Out.

Rich

The shipping is crazy hopefully they get that worked out.  I really don't want to pay 1/2 of device to shipping.

On the point where it shows sold out do you have to confirm order?  Does it pop up after that?  I just had not seen it, but have not confirmed it either.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: