Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:59:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Real Cost of Applying for a New York BitLicense  (Read 1684 times)
ikydesu (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 04:26:56 AM

Frost estimated the application cost Bitstamp roughly $100,000, including time allocation, legal and compliance fees.

Jaron Lukasiewicz, CEO and founder of Coinsetter, noted his company had spent approximately $50,000 on BitLicense-related expenses over the past two years. "I think its bigger cost, though, has been in the uncertainty it created for investors looking to invest in our space – hopefully that will begin to reverse itself now."

Why the cost between Bitstamp and Coinsetter is different Huh

http://www.coindesk.com/real-cost-applying-new-york-bitlicense/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheMage

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:00:30 AM

This is a ridiculous and draconian license that I for one will not be applying for.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
The Bitcoin Co-op
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 05:29:31 AM

It's totalitarian.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:33:47 AM

This is a ridiculous and draconian license that I for one will not be applying for.

It says it includes legal fees. Maybe bitstamp hired more expensive lawyers to take care of their and check if everything is in order?
TheMage

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 05:57:56 AM

It says it includes legal fees. Maybe bitstamp hired more expensive lawyers to take care of their and check if everything is in order?

I'm almost certain they have the capacity to do so. But for those of us who are start ups its a no brainer.

Just like any other existing laws, they favor those who can already "play the game". Crony capitalism at its finest.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 06:20:47 AM

i believe this license use is primarily for money, it's so obvious, if the government can have money from something, he will do everything for make it happen

i'm glad that many exchange say fuck you and refused this crap, i only hope that not many other Gov will follow...
TheMage

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 06:25:51 AM

i believe this license use is primarily for money, it's so obvious, if the government can have money from something, he will do everything for make it happen

i'm glad that many exchange say fuck you and refused this crap, i only hope that not many other Gov will follow...

You think they are saying fuck you, but they really aren't.

Each business does a cost analysis, risk assessments, and "what if" (trade studies) analysis on these types of situations. If the benefits outweigh the negatives they will apply for it.

Honestly, do you really think they are giving the middle finger because they believe in it? No, most just cant afford it. The exception being shapeshift and im even skeptical with them considering I assume they have a large amount of business.

tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 06:51:20 AM

The amount they charge is very high and unfair!!
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:11:56 AM

New York BitLicense is 2015's version of the Red Flag Law Undecided

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:13:54 AM

what does the bitlicense actually offer bit coin accepting businesses that fit the bitlicense decsription?

Absolutely nothing but a price tag.

It's called a bribe. Not a license.

Legalized bribery is what it is.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:15:43 AM

this act will be the bait to the protest for economic freedom if their fiat failed.
if i had money to help doing appeal, i would try to overthrow this bit license.
i am not in NY though.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 08:05:18 AM

Now multiply that figure by 50 for the 50 states, is they were to adopt a similar license, and by a few hundreds, if regional authorities across the world were to follow suit.

And of course you can expect local variations, making it even more expensive.

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 08:29:03 AM

I'm almost certain they have the capacity to do so. But for those of us who are start ups its a no brainer.

Just like any other existing laws, they favor those who can already "play the game". Crony capitalism at its finest.

Absolutely right. This is the whole reason of this license. That only a few who had been early in the game will have the possibility to be in that market. To push away new startups with innovative ideas and who can not raise that amount of money.
Furthermore it's way easier to control and subvert just a few companies and shape them over time to a cooperator of government and cartel of banks.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 08:36:11 AM

Now multiply that figure by 50 for the 50 states, is they were to adopt a similar license, and by a few hundreds, if regional authorities across the world were to follow suit.

That will not happen. New York is a special place because it's represents the old traditional financial regime. Similiar licenses might be made in a few other US states but in my opinion it is very unlikely that every state within the US will follow that move.
And even more unlikely it is that we will see several countries adopting that bullshit.
If so others will welcome these tech companies and take advantage of this technology and uncountable possibilities it has.
You can not stop this.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 08:43:00 AM

what does the bitlicense actually offer bit coin accepting businesses that fit the bitlicense decsription?

Absolutely nothing but a price tag.

It's called a bribe. Not a license.

Legalized bribery is what it is.

Please excuse my ignorance, I did not follow up on this Bitlicense thing as it does not concern me.
But I need to ask this:
Does the Bitclicense apply to exchanges only or to ANY business accepting Bitcoin?
E.g: If a coffee shop accepts Bitcoin, do they need to apply for it?

Hmm, that could mean that it is possible that the price of Bitcoin will rise too because of that.
Then again, maybe not.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 09:00:30 AM

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 09:07:42 AM

bitlicense is an oxymoron.

fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 09:12:28 AM

Please excuse my ignorance, I did not follow up on this Bitlicense thing as it does not concern me.
But I need to ask this:
Does the Bitclicense apply to exchanges only or to ANY business accepting Bitcoin?

IANAL but as I understand it, besides the usual financial services (exchanges, lending, etc.) it also applies to "service contract providers" (http://www.dfs.ny.gov/about/whowesupervise.htm) that accept "virtual currencies".

So it would not apply to a shop that sells goods (like coffee), but if you sell a service with any kind of contract and accept virtual currencies, it would apply to you, and this would cover many things from server hosting to a car mechanic, as soon as it's paid with in crypto, and you accept cryptos directly.
If you accept cryptos through a payment processor like BitPay, then you're not concerned as you are paid in fiat (and the BitLicense stuff is BitPay's concern).

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 09:32:38 AM

But I need to ask this:

IANAL but as I understand it, besides the usual financial services (exchanges, lending, etc.) it also applies to "service contract providers" (http://www.dfs.ny.gov/about/whowesupervise.htm) that accept "virtual currencies".

So it would not apply to a shop that sells goods (like coffee), but if you sell a service with any kind of contract and accept virtual currencies, it would apply to you, and this would cover many things from server hosting to a car mechanic, as soon as it's paid with in crypto, and you accept cryptos directly.
If you accept cryptos through a payment processor like BitPay, then you're not concerned as you are paid in fiat (and the BitLicense stuff is BitPay's concern).

Thanks for the answer.
So, from what I gather they are trying to create the "Payment Processors" of crypto.
Surely most businesses will not want to pay the Bitlicense fee and if they want to accept crypt they are left with services like BitPay.
Seems like an attempt to control the transactions IMO.
TheMage

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 10:51:41 PM

Heh, I like this Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: