Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:51:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELI5 about Bitcoin XT  (Read 2108 times)
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:22:10 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3h424p/why_is_bitcoin_forking/cu43w4a

Running XT at this time is equivalent with running Core. It's the same network, and the same Bitcoins. At some point in the future, if 75% mining majority is reached (but not before January 2016), the network will split whenever a miner creates a block larger than 1MB. This will not be accepted by Core unless they adopt a large blocks patch, but will be accepted by XT, and at this point there will effectively be two chains.
Running XT means that you will always be on the largest (75%+) chain, regardless of whether the fork actually happens or not. Running Core means that you will be left behind if a 75% majority is reached. Regardless of which version you run, coins will be safe (on both chains) as long as you acquired them prior to the fork, and for some time the chains will largely mirror each other, but eventually they will diverge due to different coinbases (mining rewards).

albert11

Activity: 679
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:24:43 PM

different mining reward?

████████████████████
           ██████████████████████
          ████                ████
         ████   █████   ████   ████
        ████   ███████ ██████   ████
       ████   ████ ████   ████   ████
      ████   ████   ████   ████   ████
     ████   ████  ██ ████   ████ 
    ████   ████   ██  ████
    ████   ████   ███  ████
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███    ███
     ████   ████   ████ ████ ████
      ████   ████   ████ ██ ████  ████
       ████   ████   ████ ████   ████
        ████   ██████ ██████    ████
         ████   ████   ████    ████
          ████                ████
           ██████████████████████
            ████████████████████
I N D X
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 08:26:01 PM

different mining reward?

No. Just the blocksize increased to 8 mb.

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:01:46 PM

At least the mods did not take that post down. Someone else tried to explain it and their comment was gone within 10 minutes.
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:03:11 PM

Best EL15 I've seen yet. Good post.
GermanGiant

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:10:50 PM

different mining reward?

Yes. At some point a miner will mine 1mb+ block, the chains will be different. Because, at that point, the 1mb+ block will have different mining reward for the miner, which 1mb chain will not accept. From then on the amount of bitcoin held by different addresses will be different accrding the two chain.
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:15:58 PM

different mining reward?

Yes. At some point a miner will mine 1mb+ block, the chains will be different. Because, at that point, the 1mb+ block will have different mining reward for the miner, which 1mb chain will not accept. From then on the amount of bitcoin held by different addresses will be different accrding the two chain.

No the reward will remain the same unless you mean they will get more transaction fees for accepting more transactions in a block.

GermanGiant

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:36:11 PM

different mining reward?

No the reward will remain the same unless you mean they will get more transaction fees for accepting more transactions in a block.

Mining Reward = Block Reward (Coinbase) + Tx fees
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:48:01 PM

The more the mods tighten their grip, the more nodes will slip through their fingers...
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

From what i understood:
- Until it's at 75% of the network, it's virtually the same
- Even after 75% coverage, it's still the same until a block >1mb in size comes.

So what happens then, when the forks start ignoring one another ?! How will services agree on what chain is the real one?
Even tho it seams that you're safest on the XT fork (<75% it's same, >75%..well 2/3 network is then on that fork) , i still doubt that there really will be 2/3 supporters.

GermanGiant

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:04:13 PM

From what i understood:
- Even after 75% coverage, it's still the same until a block >1mb in size comes.

So what happens then, when the forks start ignoring one another ?! How will services agree on what chain is the real one?
Even tho it seams that you're safest on the XT fork (<75% it's same, >75%..well 2/3 network is then on that fork) , i still doubt that there really will be 2/3 supporters.

Chinese miners have already declared their support to 8mb. So, they probably already have declared support from 2/3 of the network. Though, I heard, Core might increase the block size a little bit as well, probably 2mb. In that case, I dunno, whether XT will be able to gain 75% or not.
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:07:01 PM

From what i understood:

Chinese miners have already declared their support to 8mb. So, they probably already have declared support from 2/3 of the network. Though, I heard, Core might increase the block size a little bit as well, probably 2mb. In that case, I dunno, whether XT will be able to gain 75% or not.

I think it will. The "Core" project has already demonstrated that they are toxic.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 10:09:11 PM

Answer to XT = BIP 101 in Bitcoin Core.
Simple.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1129548.0
tadakaluri

Activity: 616

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 02:52:49 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3h424p/why_is_bitcoin_forking/cu43w4a

Running XT at this time is equivalent with running Core. It's the same network, and the same Bitcoins. At some point in the future, if 75% mining majority is reached (but not before January 2016), the network will split whenever a miner creates a block larger than 1MB. This will not be accepted by Core unless they adopt a large blocks patch, but will be accepted by XT, and at this point there will effectively be two chains.
Running XT means that you will always be on the largest (75%+) chain, regardless of whether the fork actually happens or not. Running Core means that you will be left behind if a 75% majority is reached. Regardless of which version you run, coins will be safe (on both chains) as long as you acquired them prior to the fork, and for some time the chains will largely mirror each other, but eventually they will diverge due to different coinbases (mining rewards).

In that case why BTC community adopt Bitcoin XT?  Just stick with Bitcoin Core.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:31:58 AM

At least the mods did not take that post down. Someone else tried to explain it and their comment was gone within 10 minutes.

I think only THERMOS (LOL) and GMAX do this censorship now.

It backfired them so badly.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:56:22 AM

From what i understood:

Chinese pools have not declared support for XT. They understand the need to increase block size but want consensus among Bitcoin Core developers. They are opposed to Bitcoin XT which they call an "altcoin" see the article at CoinTelegraph.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 07:42:08 AM

valuable post because i guess alot of new members will be confused about that debate.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:37:28 AM

Running Core means that you will be left behind if a 75% majority is reached.

Lol, define "behind".

What will happen to the exchange rate of Bitcoin XT if it becomes a surveillance based, non-fungible nightmare? Say hello to your new benevolent dictator, XT fans...

Vires in numeris
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 08:41:39 AM

Lol, define "behind".

What will happen to the exchange rate of Bitcoin XT if it becomes a surveillance based, non-fungible nightmare? Say hello to your new benevolent dictator, XT fans...

why should that happen?

it's just Bitcoin Core but with ability to have larger blocks, a bug fix, and two minor things that are useful for app developers.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:05:50 AM

Lol, define "behind".

why should that happen?

it's just Bitcoin Core but with ability to have larger blocks, a bug fix, and two minor things that are useful for app developers.

The reason is because Mike Hearn will become the new lead developer. He has expressed his desire to censor transactions before, and he didn't change his mind about that belief. He simply accepted that the majority disagreed with him.

Now, Mike is proposing XT that has the appearance of looking after user's interests. But it needs that same majority (the majority he couldn't get before) to agree and roll out his version of the client.

It's basically a way for Mike to stage a coup d'etats on the leadership of Bitcoin. You will get bigger blocks and higher tx rates. You will also get any other changes that he decides on in future. I don't trust him to give him that level of control over my money.

Vires in numeris
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 09:16:42 AM

Lol, define "behind".

why should that happen?

The reason is because Mike Hearn will become the new lead developer. He has expressed his desire to censor transactions before, and he didn't change his mind about that belief. He simply accepted that the majority disagreed with him.

Now, Mike is proposing XT that has the appearance of looking after user's interests. But it needs that same majority (the majority he couldn't get before) to agree and roll out his version of the client.

It's basically a way for Mike to stage a coup d'etats on the leadership of Bitcoin. You will get bigger blocks and higher tx rates. You will also get any other changes that he decides on in future. I don't trust him to give him that level of control over my money.

Mike will not be the new leader. There should be no leader at all. and it is not only Mikes work, gavin and jeff support that idea too.

you have the same choice with every software update - use it or now.

in my view this update is good and valuable. so i support it. i want bitcoin to scale, to be the worldwide free and open transactions system without a centralised service like blockstream.

8MB blocks are no problem.

maybe this will help us all but i would not bet on it:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1154033.0

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:25:21 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2015, 09:45:23 AM by Carlton Banks

Mike will not be the new leader.

That's not what Mike is saying.

in my view this update is good and valuable. so i support it. i want bitcoin to scale, to be the worldwide free and open transactions system without a centralised service like blockstream.

I agree with all of that, except:

• XT isn't the only possible way to do it
  • Blockstream isn't a centralised service, sidechains will be mined by miners, not by Greg Maxwell giving each transaction royal assent

I don't know where you got that idea about sidechains being centralised, that's a totally bizarre assertion

Vires in numeris
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:46:14 PM

Lol, define "behind".

why should that happen?

@Carlton Banks, at bitcoin.org the core developers are listed as Wladimir J. van der Laan, Gavin Andresen, Jeff Garzik, Gregory Maxwell and Pieter Wuille.

Was Mike Hearn ever an official core developer for Bitcoin Core? Was he dismissed and now has a grudge, or is Bitcoin XT just an attempt by Hearn to gain power and influence? Thanks.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:58:01 PM

Lol, define "behind".

why should that happen?

LiteCoinGuy 5 years later:
it's just Bitcoin with ability to censor illegitimate transactions (why care if you're not a pedophile), a bug fix and two minor things that are useful for our tax agency.
I wonder if you actually reviewed their code. Why didn't that 'bug fix' get into Core if there was actually a bug?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 04:01:46 PM

Someone forgot about checkpoints that will ignore the longest chain. - Hearn  Roll Eyes
That post pretty much misses some information. Also nobody mentioned the damage that the split is going to cause. 75% vs 25% is a big split; this should not be considered as consensus.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 09:14:00 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2016, 09:36:22 PM by iCEBREAKER

The more the mods tighten their grip, the more nodes will slip through their fingers...

Said the guy who rage quit the forum because XT posed zero threat to Core and became a laughingstock....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
██████