Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:03:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Brain wallet - "used" and "unused" adress  (Read 2006 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:21:47 PM

I am pretty sure that I cannot remember 12 words randomly chosen (that is why I wrote them on paper),

Then this is not a "brainwallet".

As long as your 12 words were truly randomly chosen, and you didn't add any personal bias into the decision, it should be at least as safe as the paper.

I don't agree with this definition.  to me a brain wallet is any wallet that can be accessed using a passphrase. iow, the private keys or an input to get the private keys is stored in ones brain.  regardless of whether the passphrase was computer generated or human generated, they are both brain wallets. 

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:27:58 PM

I am pretty sure that I cannot remember 12 words randomly chosen (that is why I wrote them on paper),

As long as your 12 words were truly randomly chosen, and you didn't add any personal bias into the decision, it should be at least as safe as the paper.

I don't agree with this definition.  to me a brain wallet is any wallet that can be accessed using a passphrase. iow, the private keys or an input to get the private keys is stored in ones brain.  regardless of whether the passphrase was computer generated or human generated, they are both brain wallets. 

Then to you, every encrypted wallet is a brain wallet, including Bitcoin Core. It's called a "brain" wallet because the private key is stored in your brain.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:30:24 PM

Then to you, every encrypted wallet is a brain wallet, including Bitcoin Core. It's called a "brain" wallet because the private key is stored in your brain.

it's not a brain wallet if you need access to a specific unique computer.  so normally encrypted wallets aren't brain wallets because you can't access your coins from any computer, only the computer with your wallet file.

redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:40:58 PM

+1 ,  it seems he (@jonald_fyookball) doesn't understand but it is easy.

You should have a brain and you should store the 'key or passphrase' in it, if you store it on a piece of sheat that  you ***  up all the purpose.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:05:41 PM

I don't agree with this definition.  to me a brain wallet is any wallet that can be accessed using a passphrase. iow, the private keys or an input to get the private keys is stored in ones brain.  regardless of whether the passphrase was computer generated or human generated, they are both brain wallets.  

+1 ,  it seems he (@jonald_fyookball) doesn't understand but it is easy.

You should have a brain and you should store the 'key or passphrase' in it, if you store it on a piece of sheat that  you ***  up all the purpose.

huh?  the fact that it's written on a paper has nothing to do with it.  Some people only call it a brain wallet if you chose the passphrase, but I don't agree and neither does the wiki:

A brainwallet refers to the concept of storing Bitcoins in one's own mind by memorization of a passphrase.

is computer generated entropy safer than choosing your own phrase? Of course.  That's what I think people mean when they say "don't use a brain wallet.". They should really say "don't use a brain wallet unless it has computer generated entropy of at least 128 bits."

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:08:10 PM

+1 ,  it seems he (@jonald_fyookball) doesn't understand but it is easy.

You should have a brain and you should store the 'key or passphrase' in it, if you store it on a piece of sheat that  you ***  up all the purpose.

huh?  the fact that it's written on a paper has nothing to do with it.  Some people only call it a brain wallet if you chose the passphrase (but not me)

Oh, I thought you were one of them. it is named BrainWallet for a reason.

PS: sorry If I seem arrogant, I didn't want Wink.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:16:59 PM

A brainwallet is information that you are storing in your brain that allows you to generate the necessary private key and bitcoin address.  That's why it is called a brainwallet.  Every thing that you need to be able to access your bitcoins in the future is tucked away inside your brain where it is completely inaccessible to anyone unless/until you personally give them access.  The problem with 99% of brainwallets is that people find it extremely difficult to permanently memorize anything, but especially anything that has at least 160 bits of entropy.  Therefore, most people end up choosing VERY VERY low entropy sources of information for their brainwallet which puts their funds at risk.

A paperwallet is any information that you are storing on one or more pieces of paper that allows you to generate the necessary private key and bitcoin address.  That's why it is called a paperwallet.  Everything that you need to be able to access your bitcoin in the future is tucked away on paper that you have hopefully taken reasonable precautions to secure against loss or anyone else accessing without your permission.

The OP essentially has chosen to create a paperwallet, and to secure that paper wallet with a passphrase.  The strength of his passphrase doesn't matter at all as long as nobody but himself ever accesses his paper wallet.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:30:00 PM

people find it extremely difficult to permanently memorize anything, but especially anything that has at least 160 bits of entropy.  

Perhaps some people do.  I don't.

There are three things that help with memorization.  First, you need to make mental pictures and stories in your mind.  Each word in a passphrase needs to be connected to the next.  The mind works by association.
Secondly, you need to review your phrase, every couple weeks or months at the most.  Don't expect to go years without practicing recalling it.  Third, we remember what we deem important.  If you have serious coinage, you will likely make the required effort to remember.  If you have a few satoshi only, you might not.

In addition,  there's nothing wrong with having a brain wallet with a backup.  Just because you have a backup, paper or otherwise, doesn't compromise your brain wallet, unless of course, someone steals the backup.  So call it a brain wallet with a backup, or call it a paper wallet that you also memorized, it doesn't matter.

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:33:43 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2015, 04:44:51 PM by Blazr

I don't agree with this definition.  to me a brain wallet is any wallet that can be accessed using a passphrase.

I use a passphrase to access my Bitcoin Core wallet because it's encrypted, thats a brainwallet right?

My definition of "brainwallet" is a wallet that is kept entirely in your brain, with there being no electronic or physical trace of its existence left behind. The purpose is to prevent an adversary from finding out that you have Bitcoins. I do not recommend their use at all, there are a lot of "gotchas" that you need to be careful about and most (every one I've tried) of the "tools" that make these are complete rubbish.

redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:07:12 PM

I don't agree with this definition.  to me a brain wallet is any wallet that can be accessed using a passphrase.

I use a passphrase to access my Bitcoin Core wallet because it's encrypted, thats a brainwallet right?

My definition of "brainwallet" is a wallet that is kept entirely in your brain, with there being no electronic or physical trace of its existence left behind. The purpose is to prevent an adversary from finding out that you have Bitcoins. I do not recommend their use at all, there are a lot of "gotchas" that you need to be careful about and most (every one I've tried) of the "tools" that make these are complete rubbish.

It seems jonald_fyookball posting only because he is paid by the sig campaign. I agree with your & DannyHamilton definition of brainwallet, because the unique possibility to spend/use those btc should be stored firstly in your 'Brain'.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:32:25 PM

It seems jonald_fyookball posting only because he is paid by the sig campaign. I agree with your & DannyHamilton definition of brainwallet, because the unique possibility to spend/use those btc should be stored firstly in your 'Brain'.

No you're mistaken, I do not get paid per post and post far more than the minimum requires.  It seems you do not read my posts carefully or understand them.  your loss.

As I already explained, an encrypted wallet is not necessarily a brain wallet because it requires a specific machine (It is not portable)

I think the wiki explains it best but if you want your own definition (such as no backups allowed), it's just semantics.  Electrum can be used as a brain wallet but if you have it also on your machine, then it's also just a wallet. 

craked (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:42:57 PM

A brainwallet is information that you are storing in your brain that allows you to generate the necessary private key and bitcoin address.  That's why it is called a brainwallet.  Every thing that you need to be able to access your bitcoins in the future is tucked away inside your brain where it is completely inaccessible to anyone unless/until you personally give them access.  The problem with 99% of brainwallets is that people find it extremely difficult to permanently memorize anything, but especially anything that has at least 160 bits of entropy.  Therefore, most people end up choosing VERY VERY low entropy sources of information for their brainwallet which puts their funds at risk.

A paperwallet is any information that you are storing on one or more pieces of paper that allows you to generate the necessary private key and bitcoin address.  That's why it is called a paperwallet.  Everything that you need to be able to access your bitcoin in the future is tucked away on paper that you have hopefully taken reasonable precautions to secure against loss or anyone else accessing without your permission.

The OP essentially has chosen to create a paperwallet, and to secure that paper wallet with a passphrase.  The strength of his passphrase doesn't matter at all as long as nobody but himself ever accesses his paper wallet.

Dumb people who cannot remember 160 bits of entropy...

Do you imagine how much entropy a stage actor have to remember ? a doctor ?

It seems to me that 160 bits of entropy is ridiculously small compared with brain capacity.

In my opinion, any cultured/creative/ingenious people can elaborate a personnal passphrase easy to remember and with a large entropy (althought difficult to evaluate), because you have already so much information stored in your brain that you can take advantage of..
craked (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:52:34 PM

Please listen to me and do not create a brainwallet. You will end up getting robbed.
I want to be sure to understand :

I have calculated that my passphrase has an real entropy far beyond 160 (12*log2(15000)=166, not to mention my 12 extra personnal words for which entropy is obviously more difficult to evaluate),

then, why concretely would my private key be less secure than a common private key held with a software like Electrum ?
I up,

can anybody confirm :

is a unused brainwallet with a passphrase of 160 bits of entropy,

as secure as a common private key held with a software like Electrum for example ?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 07:43:37 PM

Please listen to me and do not create a brainwallet. You will end up getting robbed.
I have calculated that my passphrase has an real entropy far beyond 160 (12*log2(15000)=166, not to mention my 12 extra personnal words for which entropy is obviously more difficult to evaluate),
then, why concretely would my private key be less secure than a common private key held with a software like Electrum ?
can anybody confirm :
as secure as a common private key held with a software like Electrum for example ?

A bitcoin address has 160 bits of entropy. If your key has more than 160 bits of entropy and it is stored only in your head, then you are maximally protected against everything but coercion and memory loss.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
craked (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 07:48:55 PM

Thx @odolvlobo
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 07:52:52 PM

can anybody confirm :

A bitcoin address has 160 bits of entropy. If your key has more than 160 bits of entropy and it is stored only in your head, then you are maximally protected against everything but coercion and memory loss.

is it possible to be attacked when moving out of cold storage if the wallet implementation is weak?  this doesn't have to do with brain wallets per se, but assuming you'll eventually move the coins, you have to choose a method.

craked (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:25:30 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2015, 08:36:15 PM by craked

can anybody confirm :

is it possible to be attacked when moving out of cold storage if the wallet implementation is weak?  this doesn't have to do with brain wallets per se, but assuming you'll eventually move the coins, you have to choose a method.
In case I would have to move the coins from a brainwallet, I would use Electrum private key sweeping option.

Electrum is a nice software for moving coins and short term storage, isn't it ?
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 08:28:01 PM

can anybody confirm :

In case I would have to move the coins from a brainwallet, I would use Electrum sweeping private key option.

Electrum is a nice software for moving coins and short term storage, isn't it ?

Yes, I would personally suggest you electrum. It is very good and light wallet.

sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:44:43 PM

How to make a brain wallet out of any private key.

Think of a common name for each letter in the private key.  If the letter is upper case use a male name if the letter is lower case use a female name.  If the character is a number use the number because numbers are easy to remember.  Thus the private key:

5HpHagT65TZzG1PH3CSu63k8DbpvD8s5ip4nEB3kEsreAnchuDf

Is:

5 Henry Patty Henry Agatha Gail Tom 65 Tom Zak Zoey Gale 1 Peter Henry 3 Charles Sam Ursula 63 Kathy 8 Dennis Betty Patty Victoria Dennis 8 Sally 5 Irene Patty 4 Nancy Ernie Bob 3 Kathy Ernie Sally Renie Ester Archie Nancy Catherine Helen Ursula Dennis Fanny

This simple rule makes any private key easy to remember.  Tell everyone you trust your private key name.  This is a backup against you forgetting.
craked (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

How to make a brain wallet out of any private key.

Think of a common name for each letter in the private key.  If the letter is upper case use a male name if the letter is lower case use a female name.  If the character is a number use the number because numbers are easy to remember.  Thus the private key:

5HpHagT65TZzG1PH3CSu63k8DbpvD8s5ip4nEB3kEsreAnchuDf

Is:

5 Henry Patty Henry Agatha Gail Tom 65 Tom Zak Zoey Gale 1 Peter Henry 3 Charles Sam Ursula 63 Kathy 8 Denis Betty Patty Victoria Dennis 8 Sally 5 Irene Patty 4 Nancy Ernie Bob 3 Kathy Ernie Sally Renie Ester Archie Nancy Catherine Helen Ursula Dennis Fanny

This simple rule makes any private key easy to remember.  Tell everyone you trust your private key name.  This is a backup against you forgetting.
This method is very sexist.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: