Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:21:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: max 8 connections to Bitcoin Network  (Read 7744 times)
proline1 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:25:50 PM

With the last core update to Bitcoins wallet (v0.10.2), I can no longer get more than 8 connections to the network.  Most of the time I get 0-5, which with the size of the ledger, will take months to sync.  Bitcoin was given rights to pass through the Windows 7 firewall when the update was installed, so I do not understand why it is unable to connect to more than 8 nodes max.

I am running other cypto currencies wallets (Litecon / Dogecoin) with no issues connecting to the max nodes for sync, even following their software updates.

I've tried -maxconnections=##, but it appears that it is not a command line option with Bitcoin Core version v0.10.2 (64-bit).

I'm running Windows 7 64bit (fully updated), Bitcoin Core version v0.10.2 (64-bit), though 2wire Gateway DSL modem.  No Virus protection when running wallets sync.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:31:10 PM

You need to be accepting incoming connections in order to get more than 8. Make sure your node is listening for incoming connections.

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 02:52:29 PM

You need to be accepting incoming connections in order to get more than 8. Make sure your node is listening for incoming connections.

Is that found in the Windows Firewall settings?

In the wallet Settings, Options, Network UPnP and Allow incoming connections are both checked.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 6473

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:10:09 PM

Is that found in the Windows Firewall settings?

In the wallet Settings, Options, Network UPnP and Allow incoming connections are both checked.
Check your firewall settings to make sure that bitcoin-qt.exe is allowed to have incoming connections as well as tcp port 8333. Also check your router's firewall to make sure that it isn't blocking tcp port 8333.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1480

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 03:18:34 PM

If you use DHCP make sure the port 8333 is forwarded to the correct machine on the router/modem/firewall box.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1295

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 05:41:33 PM

Also, this is not the current version.  :-)

With the last core update to Bitcoins wallet (v0.10.2), I can no longer get more than 8 connections to the network.  Most of the time I get 0-5, which with the size of the ledger, will take months to sync.  Bitcoin was given rights to pass through the Windows 7 firewall when the update was installed, so I do not understand why it is unable to connect to more than 8 nodes max.

I am running other cypto currencies wallets (Litecon / Dogecoin) with no issues connecting to the max nodes for sync, even following their software updates.

I've tried -maxconnections=##, but it appears that it is not a command line option with Bitcoin Core version v0.10.2 (64-bit).

I'm running Windows 7 64bit (fully updated), Bitcoin Core version v0.10.2 (64-bit), though 2wire Gateway DSL modem.  No Virus protection when running wallets sync.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 09:50:41 PM

check to see the ports open. type into google "canyouserme" and click the top link should take you to a good port testing site

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:29:22 PM

check to see the ports open. type into google "canyouserme" and click the top link should take you to a good port testing site

I do not have a static IP.  sigh
tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:52:20 PM

I do not have a static IP.  sigh

If you want to port fordward, you need a static ip afaik.
The modem/router needs to know on what local ip it should forward a particular port.
DHCP assigns random ip addresses, so you will need to set a static one.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:59:18 PM

Virtually every router allows you to assign IP addresses to machines within the network.  Just assign a static IP address to the machine running the BTC node, then forward the traffic over port 8333 to that machine.

By the way... you might want to update to 0.11 as that's the latest release (not the 0.10.2 you quoted).

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:35:34 PM

Virtually every router allows you to assign IP addresses to machines within the network.  Just assign a static IP address to the machine running the BTC node, then forward the traffic over port 8333 to that machine.

By the way... you might want to update to 0.11 as that's the latest release (not the 0.10.2 you quoted).

It's not dependent on the router. You need to configure it on the computer itself. You also do NOT need a static external IP. I'm assuming you have a router and aren't just plugging your computer straight into a modem that doesn't do any NAT.

Here are the steps I would take. Note that I'm working from memory as I haven't used Windows in a while.

1. Press windows key+R for run dialog. Run ncpa.cpl (to open the network connections control panel page).
2. Right-click the wired or wireless interface you're using to connect to the internet. Click status. Head to the second tab and check that the address is of the form 192.168.X.Y. If this is not the case, these steps probably won't work. Record that address on a piece of paper.
3. Close that dialog. Right-click the interface again, properties. Select Internet protocol Version 4, and choose to edit its configuration. Give it the following settings: IP 192.168.X.200 (200 is a fairly high number so no risk of faulty routers causing weird DHCP conflicts). X must be the same as in step 2. Subnet mask is ALMOST always 255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.X.1 (X must be the same as step 2) DNS servers can be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google public DNS).
4. Go to your router's page, and forward port 8333 to 192.168.X.200. Depends on the make and model of your router.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
schnuber

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:32:20 AM

I have the same problem actually, although I am running bitcoinXT client.
I have forwarded the port to the maschin's IP, when I go to canyouseeme.org it says port is open.
In the windows firewall I have enabled inbound and outbound connections for that program.
Still I can see only 8 connections in the client.

tsoPANos

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

In math we trust.

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:43:17 PM

I have forwarded the port to the maschin's IP, when I go to canyouseeme.org it says port is open.
In the windows firewall I have enabled inbound and outbound connections for that program.

You will need to forward port 8333 and assign a static local ip to your machine.
Don't use XT it is harmful to bitcoin btw.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 04:17:46 PM

It's not dependent on the router. You need to configure it on the computer itself. You also do NOT need a static external IP. I'm assuming you have a router and aren't just plugging your computer straight into a modem that doesn't do any NAT.

Here are the steps I would take. Note that I'm working from memory as I haven't used Windows in a while.

1. Press windows key+R for run dialog. Run ncpa.cpl (to open the network connections control panel page).
2. Right-click the wired or wireless interface you're using to connect to the internet. Click status. Head to the second tab and check that the address is of the form 192.168.X.Y. If this is not the case, these steps probably won't work. Record that address on a piece of paper.
3. Close that dialog. Right-click the interface again, properties. Select Internet protocol Version 4, and choose to edit its configuration. Give it the following settings: IP 192.168.X.200 (200 is a fairly high number so no risk of faulty routers causing weird DHCP conflicts). X must be the same as in step 2. Subnet mask is ALMOST always 255.255.255.0. Gateway is 192.168.X.1 (X must be the same as step 2) DNS servers can be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google public DNS).
4. Go to your router's page, and forward port 8333 to 192.168.X.200. Depends on the make and model of your router.
No, it's not dependent upon the router.  You can certainly tell your machine to give itself a static IP address.  However, that won't prevent the DHCP server from attempting to assign that same IP address to another machine on the network.  You try to get around that by giving a relatively high value for the last bit.  My solution avoids the problem altogether by telling the DHCP server (i.e. your router) to always assign IP of x.x.x.x to the machine.  No conflicts.

In any case, the point is that the machine needs a static IP address in your home network so that you can properly forward traffic from your router to that machine.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:15:40 PM

You can also leave it as dynamic dns and set the renewal time to something really long, then your computer will basically have a static local ip.  Regardless, unless you have hundreds of devices on your local network when your local ip lease is up it usually renews with the same address.

So as has been mentioned, make sure the appropriate ports are open in your firewall and that those ports are forwarded to the local ip of the machine running core and you'll start seeing >8 connections immediately.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:40:50 PM

No, it's not dependent upon the router.  You can certainly tell your machine to give itself a static IP address.  However, that won't prevent the DHCP server from attempting to assign that same IP address to another machine on the network.  You try to get around that by giving a relatively high value for the last bit.  My solution avoids the problem altogether by telling the DHCP server (i.e. your router) to always assign IP of x.x.x.x to the machine.  No conflicts.

In any case, the point is that the machine needs a static IP address in your home network so that you can properly forward traffic from your router to that machine.

Yes, I address both of those things. 200 is fairly high in the range of 2-254 that is typically valid for a client device on such a network. However, setting the DHCP server to give a static address to a given machine has been flaky for me across multiple routers.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
schnuber

Activity: 96
Merit: 18

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:01:51 PM

You will need to forward port 8333 and assign a static local ip to your machine.
No, I don't necessarily have to assign a static IP just for the sake of trying it out. I just have to make sure, that I forward the port to the currently assigned IP of my device.
I am aware, that the next time it could be different. It actually works now.

I know very well what I am doing, believe me. Unfortunately its you that is harmful to bitcoin.
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
August 24, 2015, 08:41:08 PM

No, I don't necessarily have to assign a static IP just for the sake of trying it out. I just have to make sure, that I forward the port to the currently assigned IP of my device.
I am aware, that the next time it could be different. It actually works now.

I know very well what I am doing, believe me. Unfortunately its you that is harmful to bitcoin.
He just helped you and you insult him  Roll Eyes  Typical XT troll, all ego no substance

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:12:59 PM

Still only have 8 connections max.  The core has been running since I first posted In Mid Aug, and it still have more than 1.5 years to go.

- I have a 2wire DSL modem

- Currently computer is connected directly to 2wire

- Now running Core ver 11.0 (I've upgraded previously a couple times and nothing changed)

- Mapping UPnP and Allow incoming connects selected in Core Network settings

- ISP does NOT provide static IP

- I've tried adding a router inline and nothing changed (tried dedicated port modifications)

- Litecoin Core works fine, updates in minutes.  I'm beginning to think that LTC Core been coded properly and BTC Core has not..

Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 05:25:24 PM

I'm beginning to think that LTC Core been coded properly and BTC Core has not..
If that were the case then there would be thousands of other people having problems, too, but there's not.

The one thing missing from your list is port forwarding, which is what you have to do to get more than 8 connections as has been stated many times in this thread already.  Did you forward the port on your router to the computer running core?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 06:32:36 PM

Still only have 8 connections max.  The core has been running since I first posted In Mid Aug, and it still have more than 1.5 years to go.

Does that mean: (Internet) <-> Modem <-> Computer with bitcoin core

or

(Internet) <-> Modem <-> Router <-> Computer /w bitcoin core

- Now running Core ver 11.0 (I've upgraded previously a couple times and nothing changed)

Does your ISP force IP changes by disconnect?

- I've tried adding a router inline and nothing changed (tried dedicated port modifications)

Does that mean what Mikestang is asking about, do you mean "port forwarding"? If you are not directly connected to the modem, do you use a fixed IP locally?

- Litecoin Core works fine, updates in minutes.  I'm beginning to think that LTC Core been coded properly and BTC Core has not..

Update times are fine without having more than 8 connections for me. How long do you keep your node running at a time? Is anything configured differently for the two? Different settings on your router or firewall?

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 07:52:09 PM

Still only have 8 connections max.  The core has been running since I first posted In Mid Aug, and it still have more than 1.5 years to go.

Does that mean: (Internet) <-> Modem <-> Computer with bitcoin core

or

Does your ISP force IP changes by disconnect?

Does that mean what Mikestang is asking about, do you mean "port forwarding"? If you are not directly connected to the modem, do you use a fixed IP locally?

- Litecoin Core works fine, updates in minutes.  I'm beginning to think that LTC Core been coded properly and BTC Core has not..

Update times are fine without having more than 8 connections for me. How long do you keep your node running at a time? Is anything configured differently for the two? Different settings on your router or firewall?

I've tried both ways:
(Internet) <-> Modem <-> Computer with bitcoin core

and

2. Does your ISP force IP changes by disconnect?
Yes

3. Does that mean what Mikestang is asking about, do you mean "port forwarding"?
Someone suggested that I try a router between the DSL and the computer with core on it and port forward through the router.

4.  If you are not directly connected to the modem, do you use a fixed IP locally?
When I tried a fixed IP locally, there were no connections to the BTC network.

5. How long do you keep your node running at a time?
It has been running 99% of the time since Aug. /15

6. Is anything configured differently for the two? Different settings on your router or firewall?
If only it was that easy.

This whole thing doesn't add up.  LTC works, BTC and Doge do not get above 8 connections.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 07:56:49 PM

This whole thing doesn't add up.  LTC works, BTC and Doge do not get above 8 connections.
Why do you care so much? 8 Connections means that you probably have 8 outgoing connections which is the maximum number of outgoing connections you can have. If people don't connect to your node, then you won't have any incoming connections. I myself, with Bitcoin Core, rarely have more than 8 connections even though I have upnp enabled and have port forwarding enabled.

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 08:08:55 PM

Why do you care so much? 8 Connections means that you probably have 8 outgoing connections which is the maximum number of outgoing connections you can have. If people don't connect to your node, then you won't have any incoming connections. I myself, with Bitcoin Core, rarely have more than 8 connections even though I have upnp enabled and have port forwarding enabled.

You might want to read the WHOLE threat and you might understand.
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2015, 08:13:41 PM

I do understand. You think that not having more than 8 connections will make the syncing slow. BUT Bitcoin Core syncs through ONLY ONE NODE. It doesn't matter how many connections you have. Bitcoin Core will CHOOSE ONE OF THEM and do ALL of the initial syncing through that node. It doesn't matter how many you are connected to, ONLY ONE is used for the initial sync. After that, then it will receive blocks as its nodes relay them.

proline1 (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 11:21:49 PM

I do understand. You think that not having more than 8 connections will make the syncing slow. BUT Bitcoin Core syncs through ONLY ONE NODE. It doesn't matter how many connections you have. Bitcoin Core will CHOOSE ONE OF THEM and do ALL of the initial syncing through that node. It doesn't matter how many you are connected to, ONLY ONE is used for the initial sync. After that, then it will receive blocks as its nodes relay them.

Now that we have cleared that up.

Why is it taking so long to sync?Huh
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 01:42:32 AM

Your internet speed and the internet speed of the node that Bitcoin core happens to choose as its download peer is a large factor of the speed. Also part of it is the speed of your CPU and how much RAM you have in order to quickly process the data that you receive.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 12:03:38 PM

Your internet speed and the internet speed of the node that Bitcoin core happens to choose as its download peer is a large factor of the speed. Also part of it is the speed of your CPU and how much RAM you have in order to quickly process the data that you receive.

Core synchs from all (capable) nodes since 0.10. A single node is usually faster enough to synch a constantly running node within a few minutes though. Maybe 3 full nodes on the same machine put too much strain on the connections so it cant hold more than a certain number and since doge and LTC have less traffic (less TX/block size)[1] the BTC connections are dropped first.

[1] this is just an assumption and might be completly wrong.

cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:13:29 PM

With headers first, Bitcoin Core can sync through multiple nodes (0.10.0 and up).

As a test, if you go here:
https://bitnodes.21.co

where it says "Join the Network" and enter your IP, does it show that you are accepting connections from other nodes?

Are you unreachable or reachable? 
proline1 (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 04:01:15 PM

With headers first, Bitcoin Core can sync through multiple nodes (0.10.0 and up).

As a test, if you go here:
https://bitnodes.21.co

where it says "Join the Network" and enter your IP, does it show that you are accepting connections from other nodes?

Are you unreachable or reachable? 

unreachable

cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:18:04 PM

unreachable

Are you sure that port forwarding is working properly?  e.g. forwarding port 8333 from the router to port 8333 on your internal machine? 

Can you connect to the admin control panel on the 2wire modem?  Many of the 2wires have a firewall built in which could be (and probably is) blocking that port.  (It's login page should be something like one of these.  If you know your internal IP address of the computer, that will give a hint: 10.0.0.138, 192.168.0.1,192.168.1.0 ,192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.254, gateway.2wire.net ,http://gateway.2Wire.net  )

You'll need the username and password for the router.  If you haven't changed them, it could be both blank for both or "admin" and "2wire" (or "Wireless")...varies.

Then in there, you'd need to look for the port forwarding section and update that.  If you put a router in between the modem and the computer, you'd need to set it up there too.

You'd want the 2wire (and router if you have on there too) to say something like allow all incoming connections from the WAN on port 8333 to go to port 8333 on the internal IP address (e.g. something like 192.168.1.55 -- whatever the local IP of the bitcoin server is, you'd want to set that to something static and not use DHCP to set the IP for that machine.  And assuming you are still on 8333.)

Once you check that, if you use a tool like this:
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It should show that it is open if forward is working so that it connects to your local computer.  Bitnodes gives similar info, but will check not just the port.  If the port gets opened, then bitnodes should show it working too.

If you have another machine on your local network, can you check and see from that machine if port 8333 is accessible?  I bet it is, but if not, then it could be the firewall on the machine vs on the modem.

:-)
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: