Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:13:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scientists make gold with bacteria  (Read 1538 times)
Liquid (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:04:20 PM

http://vr-zone.com/articles/scientists-make-gold-with-bacteria/17342.html

Wow seen this

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joecascio

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 03:09:30 PM

Well, "Extracting Gold" would be a lot more accurate. I wonder how much naturally occurring gold chloride there is in the air.

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:11:33 PM

50 tonnes pr. cubic kilometer sea water
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:20:06 PM

Luno, are you sure you're talking about the same thing?
I know there's lots of gold in the oceans, but is it in the form of this gas OP's article talks about?

Anyways, even if it isn't, with all the advances in genetic engineering, it might not take that long for people to be able to fabricate bacteria capable of extracting gold from the oceans.
Luno

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 05:16:01 PM

Sodium and Cloride in sea water (table salt) and Gold is soluble in Cloride, so there are Gold-Chlorides in sea water also. You make a slurry for the bacteria which contains Gold with electrolysis. The bacteria can either live in the slurry or the slurry can be baked to release the Chloride as gas. You could make a small desktop plant  for proof of concept nothing fancy.

Let's crash the gold market
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 05:17:44 PM

Is it summer again? Normally we hear about this process only in the beginning of summer. Every summer. For the last 15 years. At least.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 05:23:37 PM

Well, shoot, $1 gold coins for everyone?

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Luno

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 05:32:52 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2012, 06:04:38 PM by Luno

Cupriavidus metallidurans is the name of the bacteria. It's also used to clean soil for heavy metals.
Adam Brown MSU, shows the machine as an "art" show.
The electrolysis part is easy: keep the potential below 1.48V so you don't hydrolyse the sea water (we don't want Hydrogen and Oxygen) Gold salts are deposited on the chatode. 1 tonne of sea water per hour gives 1-2 Mg of Gold per hour, so you need a pump or to dump the electrodes off shore in non stagnant sea water. Free electricity is nice, like in GPU mining.
The process might be economical sound still, we need some figures to judge the power usage.

Real mining@home
Luno

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:37:16 PM

Done some calculations myself: 0.6 Wh per gram of gold deposited, very little power needed. However that means that you will have to pass 1000 cubic meters of sea water which takes power or open sea. You could anchor a solar powered bouy with titanium electrodes. would be like having a clamp farm at sea.
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:11:24 PM

There is actually a long history of this research, see http://www.sciencemag.org/content/313/5784/233.abstract

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Luno

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:07:01 AM

Interesting also that some natural gold deposits might be of biological origin!
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 07:17:45 AM

Put that dirty Bacteria to work for you. Cheesy

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:41:24 PM

Done some calculations myself: 0.6 Wh per gram of gold deposited, very little power needed. However that means that you will have to pass 1000 cubic meters of sea water which takes power or open sea. You could anchor a solar powered bouy with titanium electrodes. would be like having a clamp farm at sea.

Anytime you stick something in the water in the open ocean you have to worry about biofouling. How are you going to keep things from growing on your structure and stopping up the water flow?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
bitcoinbear

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:46:05 PM

From the article:

Assuming you can actually tell the difference between the two, manufactured gold, if it ever became common, wouldn't be worth as much as the naturally occurring stuff; just as manufactured diamonds aren't nearly as valuable as the ones pulled from the ground.

I think this last sentence is total bunk. It does not matter where the gold came from, or how it was processed, if it is pure then it is just as valuable as any other gold. Because you can't tell the difference.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 12:46:28 PM

Can you create bitcoins using bacteria  Tongue

bitcoinbear

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:56:54 PM

some people have used bacteria as micro-reactors to produce electrical power, so in a way, yes!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:59:37 PM

You can use Bitcoins to attract bacteria...
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:06:23 PM

From the article:

Assuming you can actually tell the difference between the two, manufactured gold, if it ever became common, wouldn't be worth as much as the naturally occurring stuff; just as manufactured diamonds aren't nearly as valuable as the ones pulled from the ground.

I think this last sentence is total bunk. It does not matter where the gold came from, or how it was processed, if it is pure then it is just as valuable as any other gold. Because you can't tell the difference.

You could tell the difference if there was a certificate of authenticity, and a demand for biologically condensed gold. I imagine there would also be a corresponding demand for forged certificates of authenticity.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
bitcoinbear

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 01:11:55 PM

From the article:

You could tell the difference if there was a certificate of authenticity, and a demand for biologically condensed gold. I imagine there would also be a corresponding demand for forged certificates of authenticity.

So you are saying this bacterial gold should have a higher price than the stuff from the ground? The article implies the opposite, that the bacterial gold would have a lower price because it is "artificial".

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 01:22:20 PM

From the article:

So you are saying this bacterial gold should have a higher price than the stuff from the ground? The article implies the opposite, that the bacterial gold would have a lower price because it is "artificial".

No gold should have any higher price than any other type of gold. My comment was more to indicate that if someone wanted to use the origin of the gold as a marketing ploy (either pro or anti bio condensed gold) there'd be a way to do it.

I personally think it's ridiculous to try to differentiate them. Pure gold is, as you wrote, just pure gold. The only way to tell the difference is if it's not pure, or if bio condensed gold contains different isotope ratios to naturally produced gold. Even if you could tell the difference there would be no difference in quality between them.

It's as stupid a notion as "Hey, I just bought some CPU mined bitcoin from back in 2009! Cost a fortune and it'll hold it's value better than the crappy GPU and FPGA mined stuff you get nowadays".

In short, I hope the sentence you quoted is bunk. If not, I weep for the human race.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Luno

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 12:16:37 AM

The Germans are making Bio Gold. Though a chemical process - it's almost not worth the investment but the gold is sold at market price. Gold is gold, Mined or alluvial gold is priced based on the percentage of other metals; copper, silver, tungsten, iron etc. A weekend gold miner would be happy if paid 70% of spot for some raw washed gold. As a hobby gold miner it's not worth the effort to cast small bullions yourself, as it's harder for the buyer to judge the purity of the larger bullion so you will get a lower price.

About fouling of the electrodes, yes that might be a problem. Some tuuting blinking buys have aluminium copper electrodes to generate electricity and the galvanic action keep them clear of marine growth.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: