Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:14:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will bitcoin become untraceable after going thru a gambling site or exchange?  (Read 1510 times)
psy112 (OP)

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:20:10 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2015, 10:52:44 AM by psy112

I've been using BTC for many years now, but never really looked into the possibility to track bitcoins.

My question is:

Lets say a person have 1 btc that he would want to use on a thing like darkweb, won't it be laundered if he deposit it to a dice site or gambling site, tip himself on another account and then withdraw it? I mean, if he deposited 1 to the site and then withdraw it, isn't the bitcoin he receive probably another coin?

Hope you understood my question?

//
Changed the subject, since I'm not looking for the possibility to laundry my money, I was curious if it works doing as my example

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:25:07 PM

I've been using BTC for many years now, but never really looked into the possibility to track bitcoins.

My question is:

Lets say I have 1 btc that I want to use on darkweb, won't it be laundered if I deposit it to a dice site or gambling site, tip myself on another account then withdraw it? I mean, if i deposit 1 to the site and then withdraw it, isn't the bitcoin I receive probably another coin?

Yes, but in that particular case the one you got will be traceable to you.

You need to get bitcoin back that cannot be associated with you.

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:27:11 PM

My question is:

Lets say I have 1 btc that I want to use on darkweb, won't it be laundered if I deposit it to a dice site or gambling site, tip myself on another account then withdraw it? I mean, if i deposit 1 to the site and then withdraw it, isn't the bitcoin I receive probably another coin?

yes. I have seen quite a few people done that in primedice. deposit and tipping to other account without even betting (we can see their stats to see if they gambled or not).
psy112 (OP)

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:32:31 PM

My question is:

of course the 1 btc can be traced back to me, but if i deposit and lets say I wait a week before i withdraw, but first tip another account. The the btc I withdraw wouldn't be the one I bought? Doesn't the bitcoins on dice sites all goes in the same pocket, like a mixer?

pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 08:50:24 PM

My question is:

of course the 1 btc can be traced back to me, but if i deposit and lets say I wait a week before i withdraw, but first tip another account. The the btc I withdraw wouldn't be the one I bought? Doesn't the bitcoins on dice sites all goes in the same pocket, like a mixer?

Yes, correct.

The blockchain trail is lost, but you still have to obfuscate your identity with the website.

psy112 (OP)

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 08:57:05 PM

My question is:

Yes, correct.

The blockchain trail is lost, but you still have to obfuscate your identity with the website.

That part I know ;P just didn't know if the trail was lost or not by doing like that ;P Thanks for the answer!

Habeler876

Activity: 624
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:41:19 PM

The answer is yes, if you tip another account and withdraw from it, you can launder it that way.
Here's another method: Deposit into btc-e, go to finances-withdraw-create btc-e code. Your bitcoin will be in form of an redeemable btc-e code.
Now just open up another account and redeem the code. There is not even a fee for btc-e code transfers.
Just a not tho, i think new accounts created can't withdraw for 24 hours , some sort of safety rule.

unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 09:51:55 PM

Unless your coins come from an exchange which has your personal information I wouldn't really bother trying to launder.

On the other hand, if your coins are from Coinbase, you won't have much of a choice.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:25:58 PM

Having bitcoins is laundering itself, since you can use services to add on hiding to trace the locations.

But in itself though its a money transmitter so, laundering money is not that hard as long the value stays the same for a period. The only people using it for laundering is the volatility which they dislike.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:25:47 AM

Why are so many helping with trying to launder?   I think darkweb/laundering are not really what we should push for.

We want more adoption from "regular" users.  Yes darkweb exists but we should not be helping someone get coins to it.
psy112 (OP)

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 05:26:30 AM

Why are so many helping with trying to launder?   I think darkweb/laundering are not really what we should push for.

We want more adoption from "regular" users.  Yes darkweb exists but we should not be helping someone get coins to it.

lol  Wink
It was just thought I had, used darkweb as an example. I'm one of them that want's btc to become accepted everywhere. So not supporting darkweb at all.

So I hear you. Changed the subject too

Dannie
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:57:59 AM

But if you have used multiple sites (say, your wallet→PrimeDice→SatoshiDice→DaDice→your wallet) in the process, each individual site can't trace your coin unless they all share their customer information.

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:00:14 AM

But if you have used multiple sites (say, your wallet→PrimeDice→SatoshiDice→DaDice→your wallet) in the process, each individual site can't trace your coin unless they all share their customer information.
which they might be required to do if LE gets involved to a certain extent; using a mixer to erase any and all taint is a better option imo.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:05:00 AM

it does not matter if they can track your addresses back as long as your ID associated with it is safe, you should not care too much

bitcoin is pseudo anon because of this, while it may be easy to go back to the first address of the ramification it's not so easy to associate it to a name
pedrog
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:16:27 AM

Why are so many helping with trying to launder?   I think darkweb/laundering are not really what we should push for.

We want more adoption from "regular" users.  Yes darkweb exists but we should not be helping someone get coins to it.

Your bank account is private, your bitcoin spending habits also should be.

psy112 (OP)

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 10:51:03 AM

No, if they have logs of your bitcoin transaction & government able to get these logs (by using spyware or cooperation) Roll Eyes
But, there are many ways to trace bitcoin address

More info : https://bitcoinhelp.net/know/more/top-seven-ways-your-identity-can-be-linked-to-your-bitcoin-address

Fun reading  Cheesy

Your bank account is private, your bitcoin spending habits also should be.

Exactly, btc is a decentralized currency for a purpose, NO GOVERMENT CONTROL. Wasn't that what Satoshi ment with it?  Wink Wink

it does not matter if they can track your addresses back as long as your ID associated with it is safe, you should not care too much

bitcoin is pseudo anon because of this, while it may be easy to go back to the first address of the ramification it's not so easy to associate it to a name

and they still need to prove that it really was me sitting by the computer i guess

Johnical

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:58:48 AM

It is possible but it's not really effective as it is still quite easily traced(as another person said there is logs for deposits and withdrawals). But maybe a more complex operation would work better - something like converting your BTC to another currency then convert it back.

Or, more simply, use cash.
Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:03:53 AM

My question is:

Lets say a person have 1 btc that he would want to use on a thing like darkweb, won't it be laundered if he deposit it to a dice site or gambling site, tip himself on another account and then withdraw it? I mean, if he deposited 1 to the site and then withdraw it, isn't the bitcoin he receive probably another coin?

//
Changed the subject, since I'm not looking for the possibility to laundry my money, I was curious if it works doing as my example

the site will know what you did.

other people may know too if they can get info from the site

take it into consideration
psy112 (OP)

psygambler

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 11:12:01 AM

My question is:

//

the site will know what you did.

other people may know too if they can get info from the site

take it into consideration

Of course, and I don't do darkweb, it was just a thought i had. That's why i change the first post.

It is possible but it's not really effective as it is still quite easily traced(as another person said there is logs for deposits and withdrawals). But maybe a more complex operation would work better - something like converting your BTC to another currency then convert it back.

Or, more simply, use cash.

About changing it to other currency was one of my thoughts too. I mean it must put a extra layer on the track.
Cash isn't possible on services like agora and such. I was thinking of the vendors and buyers there, why they don't get busted when i started the thread and how they get their earned btc into cash without a trace

ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:31:14 PM

It depends on which process take that bitcoins

and it won't be untraceable for the owner of the site
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: