Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:18:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Prediction] BTC will be at 19+USD before the reward halving  (Read 1797 times)
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:24:06 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 12:39:24 AM by CoinHoarder

How I came to that conclusion:

I feel that BTC will increase to offset the reward halving.

BTC was about +3USD in the month of September.

If it continues to follow that uptrend, there will be +6USD in the next two months before the reward halving.

I cannot see having two negative months with all the exciting things happening around BTC. (ASICs being released soon + Bitinstant Credit Card)

Am I crazy or is that a foreseeable circumstance?

Discuss?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kentrolla

Activity: 1540
Merit: 564

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 12:37:04 AM

i agree. although i think it will be higher than $19 and then there will be a disappointment crash.  then back up again

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Yuki22

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:28:38 AM

i agree. although i think it will be higher than $19 and then there will be a disappointment crash.  then back up again

I doubt it will drop, I think it will continue to go up steadily then stabilize. But we'll see!
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:48:46 AM

The market has already accounted for the halving. It's current price reflects this, and the market won't be surprise a few days before the halving occurs
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:53:55 AM

I doubt it will drop, I think it will continue to go up steadily then stabilize. But we'll see!
This is the first reward drop, I am almost certain there will be SOME kind of chaos even if only temporary.

My guess is 12-25$.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:59:17 PM

i expect to see single digits

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:01:36 PM

i expect to see single digits

not me

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:03:04 PM

Only geeks will see the first reward halving, the second one however will be another beast.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:35:19 AM

The market has already accounted for the halving. It's current price reflects this, and the market won't be surprise a few days before the halving occurs

like fun.

The markets been undergoing a period of steady growth. We can observe the effects of that after the pirate fiasco and the resulting pump&dump, we got down to 9.50 ish before the support kicked in and drove us back over 10... and steady growth resumed.

You won't see the correction (whatever it is) for the halving until after its happened. . . and then, you may not even be noticable for quite awhile.

As a miner I don't sell coins every day, or even every week... sure every now and then I do --- but as my profits increase, I convert less and less of it to fiat. So while we might see some increase in price due to less coins being created - it's just as likely that those higher prices will entice older coins to be sold - in which case we'd just continue to see the steady growth we've been seeing.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:12:54 AM

Nobody has even come close to explaining why they think that the reward change will affect the value of BTC.

I think it will have no (short term) effect whatsoever. There are 10 million BTC, 25 less every 10 minutes is nothing. The demand for bitcoins won't change because of the lower reward. The number of miners will drop by half along with the difficulty, but the number of bitcoins produced will still be 25 every 10 minutes.

So, tell me, why will the price change as a result of the reward being halved?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ildubbioso

Activity: 389

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 09:44:03 AM

How many people will sell BTCs really near the halving? Won't they wait a little?
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:07:00 AM

Nobody has even come close to explaining why they think that the reward change will affect the value of BTC.

I think it will have no (short term) effect whatsoever. There are 10 million BTC, 25 less every 10 minutes is nothing. The demand for bitcoins won't change because of the lower reward. The number of miners will drop by half along with the difficulty, but the number of bitcoins produced will still be 25 every 10 minutes.

Okay simple economics:
A medium risk stock paying out 10$ is worth about 100$ which gives you a nice 10% yield.
If the stock suddenly gave 20$ the stock price would quickly shoot up to 200$.

Bitcoin inflation with the current reward is ~26% so even at steady prices like now the total BTC value is increasing 25% per year.

When that inflation halves the effective yield of BTC goes way up, 12.5 percentage points, to adjust to that the price has to increase.

Why would the market be surprised?
1. 7200 BTC are created each day if 10% of that is immediately sold for $ then the reward drop leads to an immediate ~2% shortfall of BTC at mtgox which leads to a rally.
2. People valuing BTC will buy at some constant rate, like at each paycheck like myself - since the rate is usually going up, whenever we can. Even if I knew with 1000% certainty that BTC would be worth 1000$/BTC tomorrow I would NOT be able to vastly increase my buy rate.

So with constant value going IN short-term and supply sharply dropping short-term a 2% rise is near guaranteed to be a shock event. A 2% upwards shock could easily trigger a upwards correction.

Add to this deduction that alt chains experiencing reward halving DID see a price doubling - the reward change was no surprise on those alts either.

So to summarize, both logic and empirical data suggests a market shock will happen. Just because it is expected doesn't mean you can prepare!

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 10:39:41 AM

A market shock may happen due to a lot pressure from the buyers in the market wanting to purchase cheaply. When the suppliers need to recoup their recent mining investments, they will be forced to sell at a higher rate. The amount needed to recoup may be unanticipated.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 10:47:25 AM

Add to this deduction that alt chains experiencing reward halving DID see a price doubling - the reward change was no surprise on those alts either.

You mean SolidcoinII, IXcoin and I0coin? What a joke  Cheesy
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:21:00 PM

Thanks for providing some concrete reasoning. Now there is something to discuss.

Okay simple economics:
A medium risk stock paying out 10$ is worth about 100$ which gives you a nice 10% yield.
If the stock suddenly gave 20$ the stock price would quickly shoot up to 200$.

Bitcoin inflation with the current reward is ~26% so even at steady prices like now the total BTC value is increasing 25% per year.

When that inflation halves the effective yield of BTC goes way up, 12.5 percentage points, to adjust to that the price has to increase.

There is no dispute here. The value of bitcoins will continue to rise, assuming that the bitcoin economy continues to grow faster than the number of bitcoins.

Why would the market be surprised?
1. 7200 BTC are created each day if 10% of that is immediately sold for $ then the reward drop leads to an immediate ~2% shortfall of BTC at mtgox which leads to a rally.
2. People valuing BTC will buy at some constant rate, like at each paycheck like myself - since the rate is usually going up, whenever we can. Even if I knew with 1000% certainty that BTC would be worth 1000$/BTC tomorrow I would NOT be able to vastly increase my buy rate.

So with constant value going IN short-term and supply sharply dropping short-term a 2% rise is near guaranteed to be a shock event. A 2% upwards shock could easily trigger a upwards correction.

Average daily volume on MtGox for the last 30 days is about 31k, but it regularly varies between 10k and 50k. Assuming your 2% is accurate, the supply will drop by only 620 (2% of 31k). I can't see how a 620 BTC drop in supply will have any effect when normal volume changes are 20 times that amount.

Another way to judge the effect of the loss of supply would be to lop off the loss from the ask side of Mtgox order book and see what happens to the price. Given the general slope of the ask side, removing 3600 BTC (the maximum possible) from the ask side will increase the price by about 0.12 BTC. Even the maximum possible supply shock does not have a significant effect on prices when compared to normal volatility.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
lucif

Activity: 462

Clown prophet

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:32:45 PM

it will not reach even $10 before halving
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: