Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:04:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forbes- "Bitcoin Prevents Monetary Tyranny"  (Read 3987 times)
Factory (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:14:32 PM

From the article:

Bitcoin is not about making rapid global transactions with little or no fee. Bitcoin is about preventing monetary tyranny. That is its raison d’être.

Monetary tyranny can take many ugly forms. It can be deliberate inflation, persecutory capital controls, prearranged defaults within the banking cartel, or even worse, blatant sovereign confiscation. Sadly, those threats are a potential in almost any jurisdiction in the world today. The United States does not have a monopoly on monetary repression and monetary tyranny.

Read more at:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/04/bitcoin-prevents-monetary-tyranny/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:20:19 PM

That's a brilliant article and on a well respected mainstream website too  Cheesy

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
Factory (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:27:56 PM

That's a brilliant article and on a well respected mainstream website too  Cheesy

Yes. It's always nice to see bitcoin featured on mainstream sites such as Forbes.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:36:16 PM

Great article, but is Bitcoin really best served by a picture of Mel Gibson from Braveheart??!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 04:37:11 PM

Great article, but is Bitcoin really best served by a picture of Mel Gibson from Braveheart??!

Would you prefer a picture of Bruce Wagner? Wink

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:14:53 PM

If you believe the conspiracy theories about Jews and banking, it might be appropriate Cheesy

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 06:59:16 PM

Wow great to see a well written positive article about bitcoins.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:12:57 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 01:11:41 AM by franky1

great read, which highlights a few old things on different topics.
im actually laughing at how people think bitcoin isnt centralised.

when one entity is the powerhouse controlling the value of a commodity then it becomes centralised. for instance.. most people base BTC value on mtgox prices.

centralisation and tyranny are different things.. centralisation is in fiat terms.. the national reserve and banks. tyranny is the government and its financial laws and taxes.

in btc terms centralisation is trade exchange sites setting the value. tyranny is ... well hopefully no one..

if you truly want to be decentralised. then forget the US dollar conversion prices of MTGOX when purchasing. and when someone sells an item u pay what you think is a fair amount based purely on how much TIME you spent earning that BTC.

eg if you work all week earning fiat you already have an understanding that a percentage of your weekly income equals your food bill.. so if working all day ends up as enough currency to go to a bar get as drunk as you can and buy a fastfood meal at the end of the evening then thats what you expect to get for the amount of bitcoin you can mine in a day.

go back to the medieval days, when a butcher would carve up a healthy size beef steak which took him 30 minutes to prepare in exchange for 30 minutes time with a prostitute.. as an example.

the use of gold and then later FIAT was a centralised method to balance value, to make it a fair comparison so trades became equal for both parties.

tyranny is the other subject. i like how bitcoins are not solely owned by EG mtgox, etc ( and although i use them as a fair value comparison when trading) i know they cannot control my use of it, unlike governments do with FIAT.

after reading the article im just wondering about legality of bitcoins (specifically bitpay, MTGOX BTC-E and other exchanges) in regards to "unlicensed money transmitting business" laws.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:27:03 AM

You know, u make an interesting point. I wonder what the bitcoin economy would look like if people didnt care about the BTC -> USD conversion value and traded soley on how long it took them to get make that BTC ..
What if people simply just placed some sort of worth on BTC, not represented by any fiat currency.
Hrm, that would be hard for every individual to gauge. I guess it would be like strictly bartering then.

I ono, not an expert on economies or 'currencies' =P ...
just interesting ideas thou..

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:50:35 PM

Pretty rad article, thanks for sharing!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:09:27 PM

Nice article!

BlackHeartFund

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:14:03 PM

Great to see BTC getting mainstream attention. Forbes seems to be fairly warm to bitcoin. Hopefully more will follow.
FrogBBQ

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:57:33 PM

Indeed, capital control is a nasty tool that government will have absolutely no hesitation in using in the coming years when the FIAT currency war will be raging. With bitcoin, you can cross any border with large amount of any currency by simply having your eWallet .dat file saved on a USB key, it will be that easy.

This video [http://youtu.be/ujdWCXxGC9g?t=12m30s] is interesting in that matter...
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 12:00:04 AM

Fantastic article!
Four stars.

[/u]

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████