Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:01:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why BitcoinXT might never reach consensus but also why BitcoinXT is IMPORTANT!  (Read 986 times)
knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:30:06 AM

There is an unnecessary ongoing war and fear mongering over the community about bitcoinXT. What people need to realize is that the only thing that will lead to a majority of honest node switching to bitcoinXT is a bloat in the blockchain itself where businesses won't be able to process the transactions they need due to a fail of bitcoin core to deliver proper scaling on time. BitcoinXT is just a fall back plan in case of a bitcoin core failure and will happen naturally if there is a need in the market. If bitcoin core delivers then nothing will happen. I don't see the point of so much fear mongering over hard forking. THERE IS AN ECONOMIC INCENTIVE TO REACH CONSENSUS NO MATTER THE OUTCOME. Releasing the code in the wild might not be pleasing some but it relieved the stress of many people about their concerns over a bitcoin core failure. If that concern reaches consensus then be it!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:36:59 AM

Let me quote one of the "good guys", so the sheeps can digest

Bitcoin is a decentralized system.

If you don't like the work Mike does, don't use it! If you don't like the direction he's going with that work, write some code yourself that goes in a different direction. If you don't like where "core" Bitcoin client development is "going", go to http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin and hit the "Fork" button and convince other people to join your development effort.

You people seriously misunderstand how Bitcoin works...

I think its very relevant to the topic here. Notice the date of that quote,
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 03:51:44 AM

If you don't like the work Mike does, don't use it! If you don't like the direction he's going with that work, write some code yourself that goes in a different direction. If you don't like where "core" Bitcoin client development is "going", go to http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin and hit the "Fork" button and convince other people to join your development effort.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:23:57 AM

All true!

If Bitcoin XT never reaches a majority at least it puts pressure for something to be done, hopefully before the network comes to a halt...

Rimmer

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 09:40:12 AM

There is an unnecessary ongoing war and fear mongering over the community about bitcoinXT. What people need to realize is that the only thing that will lead to a majority of honest node switching to bitcoinXT is a bloat in the blockchain itself where businesses won't be able to process the transactions they need due to a fail of bitcoin core to deliver proper scaling on time. BitcoinXT is just a fall back plan in case of a bitcoin core failure and will happen naturally if there is a need in the market. If bitcoin core delivers then nothing will happen. I don't see the point of so much fear mongering over hard forking. THERE IS AN ECONOMIC INCENTIVE TO REACH CONSENSUS NO MATTER THE OUTCOME. Releasing the code in the wild might not be pleasing some but it relieved the stress of many people about their concerns over a bitcoin core failure. If that concern reaches consensus then be it!

BitcoinXT might be a fall back plan but those in charge look like they want it to succeed as the 'main' bitcoin.

I think it's a bit different if I write some code compared to the devs or people who have influence in the bitcoin community and I think most of the problem is from the confusing about what is actually happening.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:06:53 AM

BitcoinXT is just a fall back plan

there is already a btc fallback plan, tis been around awhile now, tis called litecoin  Smiley
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:28:55 AM

All true!

If Bitcoin XT never reaches a majority at least it puts pressure for something to be done, hopefully before the network comes to a halt...

Right. At least core devs won't any longer be able to close eyes and stick fingers in their ears and ignore what a majority of the community is looking for. However if they should continue that BS I'm sure another client with bigger blocks get's launched.I'm pretty sure about that no doubt.
Digit-0

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

in the end, you only find the beginning

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 10:51:16 AM

there is already a btc fallback plan, tis been around awhile now, tis called litecoin  Smiley

not a bad alternative at all, but i dont think this will happend.

btw this situation start to bored me, is sad that core devs cant fix it without all that noise they are doing...
bit1
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 05:00:44 PM

At this point look that only a network supporting all transactions on future looks certainly impossible.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 07:53:29 PM

no: it's an inside job to destroy it, pure & simple:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/block-size-bitcoin-not-scale-effectively/

And it has good chances to succeed even if it does not get implemented, by dividing the community, crashing the price and so expectations, and obstructing a real solution to spam (attacks or crap indifferently) like this one:

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114791/litecoin-shows-there-is-a-simple-fix-for-spam-attacks-on-bitcoin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: