Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:57:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 60963 times)
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 12:31:13 PM

If Fork is issued by Bitcoin XT, it becomes another Altcoin.  The Bitcoin Core is the only one Original BTC.

true, but who would care about an original bitcoin with hours between new blocks? a transaction backlog that huge that even servers cant store the UTXO?

no one Wink

(btw this is true for *any* fork of the bitcoin blockchain)

Who cares about free transactions? Im holding anyway and by then wont be annoyed paying a little to transfer big money when ever, where ever, to who ever.

the point is you cant... because none of your beloved elitist-mpex-lovers would ever touch mining hardware.

where did i wrote anything about free transactions? even with 1TB blocks miners are not forced to put free transactions in a block (and they would be dumb if they do as soon as the block reward is too low ofc)

Ah thèse guys are all in for +100k$/btc. You seem not. So pardon me for suggesting to go fork yourself.

Says the guy who got involved buying miners when bitcoin was about $1100 a coin...   How did that work out for ya, champ?

You started out so positive, so hopeful. I guess bitcoin hasn't been too good a ride for you,  n'est-ce pas ?   Grin

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 12:34:10 PM

Says the guy who got involved buying miners when bitcoin was about $1100 a coin...   How did that work out for ya, champ?

You started out so positive, so hopeful. I guess bitcoin hasn't been too good a ride for you,  n'est-ce pas ?   Grin

seems like a very good deal to buy a miner when bitcoin was at 1100$?
ofc this is assuming he already owned that btc (which is likely considering is accont age)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 12:40:50 PM

Lol you wish. Hows that ad hom extrapolations from some date to élude the fact you are a frustrated poor little kiddo, that does not have bitcoins best valuation at heart and would rather see its fall in the hands of big corporations that want to centraliaze It by forking it. You statist derp.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 12:42:17 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2015, 01:18:07 PM by hdbuck

Ahah cant even compare two dates. Like Gavin and his block size picking. xD

Note that even back then i was no noob gettin bfled knced etc.. Wink
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 12:46:03 PM

Lol you wish. Hows that ad hom extrapolations from some date to élude the fact you are a frustrated poor little kiddo, that does not have bitcoins best valuation at heart and would rather see its fall in the hands of big corporations that want to centraliaze It by forking it. You statist derp.

why cant you accept that some people (like me) thinks that bigger blocks are needed to raise bitcoins value?

i do respect that you think thats not the case. but as long as you dont accept my stance you cant change my mind (or anybody elses for that matter).

imho i dont understand that hole drama. just wait and see whats happen:
 - if bitcoin forks: so be it. we have both coins then
 - if it doesnt fork: who cares

all that forum drama and rhetorics (imho mostly started from mpex himself; but i maybe wrong about that) are the reason why it has dropped so hard. not that i really care: i am here for the long term. and long term hasnt change anything.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:22:13 PM

All the BIPs are a pathetic attempt at reproducing the lame presidential elections soup we all get served.

You think you have a choice? You dont.

To believe that voting is going to help the situation, is the same as forking will improve bitcoin. But it just wont.

And big corps, banksters et al. will win again. and again.. and friggin again.
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:29:59 PM

All the BIPs are a pathetic attempt at reproducing the lame presidential elections soup we all get served.

To believe that voting is going to help the situation, is the same as forking will improve bitcoin. But it just wont.

that just sounds like you are fear driven and frustrated.
i dont see ANY argument in this.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 01:56:01 PM

From Bitcoin's point of view, XT's "big blocks" don't exist, so the question of whether or not it can orphan them is moot. Core will continue to work on the longest valid chain, and that doesn't include any chain with blocks greater than 1MB in it.

That is not "Bitcoin's point of view".  Please admit that there will be two (or more) implementations of bitcoin, each intending to be "the" Bitcoin.  It is not objective or technically productive to decide from the start that the Core version is the right one, and the others are altcoins, no matter how much support each version gets.

I don't think it's helpful to refer to both the existing protocol and Mike's 8 GB block limit monstrosity both as "Bitcoin". It makes discussion difficult. When I talk about "Bitcoin" I mean the system we currently have, in which there is a blocksize limit of 1 MB. That Bitcoin is the own which doesn't see the invalid blocks.

Besides, the precise software that miners are running, what formulas they user, how they trigger the changes, what is their schedule for the following year -- all that is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is how many miners accept blocks greater than 1 MB, and how many reject them.  So, instead of "XT" and "Core", it is better to say "big-blockian" and "small-blockian".  

The number of miners accepting invalid blocks doesn't matter. Their blocks will be rejected anyway unless you're running the XT fork.

The longest valid chain accepted by Core *is* the longest valid chain, by definition.

Of course not; that is the longest valid chain *only for Core*.  For implementations that accept bigger blocks, bigger blocks are (of course) valid, so the longest valid chain may be a different one.

And for implementations of dogecoin, dogecoin blocks are valid. What's your point? For Bitcoin core, 2 MB blocks are invalid no matter how many miners mine them.

Litecoin forked from Bitcoin.

Er, um, a mathematician would agree, I guess.  Their blockchains share zero blocks, and zero is a number, too.

The software forked, not the blockchain.

It will not be easy to use the two chains independently, because all transactions are in principle executed on both chains.  (That is another reason why they cannot be called "altcoins".)  Only transactions that spend coins mined after the fork will be executed exclusively on the same branch.

The XT chain will quickly become polluted with outputs which are invalid on the BTC chain. "Taint" from coinbases generated only on the XT chain will fan out.

Have you read BIP101? It proposes jumping the blocksize limit to 8 MB next year, and then doubling of the blocksize limit every 2 years, for 20 years. That gives us 8192 MB blocks in 21 years. And that's what the sane bitcoiners should want?

Sigh, it wlll NOT give 8 MB blocks next year, nor 8 GB blocks 21 years from now.  Those are block size LIMITS.  Bitcoin had a 32 MB block size LIMIT for almost 2 years at the beginnig, but teeny weeny block SIZES.  In fact it had a 1 MB size LIMIT since then, and yet the average block SIZE is still 0.45 MB.

It is sickening to see the small-blockians invariably replace LIMIT by SIZE in their arguments.  Who is being disingenuous?

I wrote "limit" twice in the sentence you are complaining about.

If the block SIZEs ever get close to 8 GB, it means that the traffic is 15'000 times what it is today, which ma mean a user base of hundreds of millions.

No, it doesn't. Any miner can create a full block by generating their own transactions for free.

But I do agree that BIP101's schedule is stupid: it is silly to plan parameter changes several years in advance, when no one knows even whether bitcoin will survive to next year.

Good. Then please stop arguing in its favour. The sooner it dies, the better. We need to reject this and find a proper solution.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 02:20:45 PM

Not sure if you are being disingenuous or you really don't understand. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

BIP101 activates *only* if XT has >75% of hashing power.

No, it activates when >75% of the last 1000 blocks *say* they were mined by XT. That can happen with less than 75% of the hash power saying they are running XT, and you also can't assume that just a block was mined by XT just because it says it was. It is quite possible for me to mine blocks saying I'm willing to accept "big blocks" when I'm actually not.

Only gamblers would run XT marked mining operations without accepting larger blocks. I for one don't believe that a significant amount of hashing power will choose to risk the outcome of a contentious hard fork that they would clearly be responsible for by their deceiptful indication of larger block support. Not a likely scenario IMO.
The only pool producing XT blocks is apparently doing exactly that - just marking them as "XT version" and no more.
See slush's comments about his pool.

But more importantly, no pool in their right mind would be running the XT code yet.
The XT code has been severely lacking in testing compared to normal Core code changes.

Fair enough. No pool in mid-January 2016 will be marking XT blocks but not actually running BIP 101 compatible blocksize code. Do you disagree with this? There is no good reason to do this, unless your plan is to go short Bitcoin when a very contentious fork happens. Any pool doing this would suffer greatly from community backlash afterward.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 02:58:51 PM

No, it doesn't. Any miner can create a full block by generating their own transactions for free.

Yes, they can. So if BIP 101 were adopted, miners could make 8mb blocks in 2016, scaling gradually to 16mb blocks by 2018 and 32mb blocks in 2020. An ordinary user with an ordinary single computer and ordinary broadband connection will be able to keep up. Will some miners suffer? Probably - but it's not relevant.

Changing the block size up or down is not going to have a tremendous impact on miner centralization. I agree that this is a real problem and that it requires some collaborative effort. The block size has very, very little to do with the conversation however.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:08:19 PM

Not sure if you are being disingenuous or you really don't understand. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

BIP101 activates *only* if XT has >75% of hashing power.

No, it activates when >75% of the last 1000 blocks *say* they were mined by XT. That can happen with less than 75% of the hash power saying they are running XT, and you also can't assume that just a block was mined by XT just because it says it was. It is quite possible for me to mine blocks saying I'm willing to accept "big blocks" when I'm actually not.

Only gamblers would run XT marked mining operations without accepting larger blocks. I for one don't believe that a significant amount of hashing power will choose to risk the outcome of a contentious hard fork that they would clearly be responsible for by their deceiptful indication of larger block support. Not a likely scenario IMO.
The only pool producing XT blocks is apparently doing exactly that - just marking them as "XT version" and no more.
See slush's comments about his pool.

But more importantly, no pool in their right mind would be running the XT code yet.
The XT code has been severely lacking in testing compared to normal Core code changes.

Fair enough. No pool in mid-January 2016 will be marking XT blocks but not actually running BIP 101 compatible blocksize code. Do you disagree with this? There is no good reason to do this, unless your plan is to go short Bitcoin when a very contentious fork happens. Any pool doing this would suffer greatly from community backlash afterward.
No idea what will happen in January, other than it wont be BIP101 Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 03:09:53 PM

Yup! And they will getting blocks orphaned all the way Grin

https://tradeblock.com/blog/bitcoin-network-capacity-analysis-part-6-data-propagation

Next, we examine the size of confirmed blocks that were involved in an orphan race relative to period averages. The chart below suggests that blocks in an orphan race are, on average, ~100kb / 20% larger than regular blocks that are not part of such races. This is likely the result of larger blocks taking longer to relay.

I'm sure that it will be full of miners that love to wasting energy/money.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:20:21 PM

And what do you propose?
As long as Bitcoin remains open source and decentralized (and to remain decentralized we need the nodes to be able to be run under normal computers and normal bandwith) the alternative to the status quo will remain. My fear is that eventually the devs sell themselves and give way too much to regulations and so on. The original idea of Bitcoin by Satoshi was uncompromised and anarchic and didn't gave a fuck about being accepted by governments or not, it was a revolution. Let's see how things turn out.
onemorexmr

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 03:34:35 PM

And what do you propose?
As long as Bitcoin remains open source and decentralized (and to remain decentralized we need the nodes to be able to be run under normal computers and normal bandwith) the alternative to the status quo will remain. My fear is that eventually the devs sell themselves and give way too much to regulations and so on. The original idea of Bitcoin by Satoshi was uncompromised and anarchic and didn't gave a fuck about being accepted by governments or not, it was a revolution. Let's see how things turn out.

this is what i support and love about bitcoin.
satoshis vision also included that anybody can use bitcoin (with SPV wallets). he did not want a blocksize limit: it was just added as a TEMPORARY solution to prevent spam in the EARLY days when bitcoin was worth nothing (usd-wise).

i support bigger blocks. i dont see the risk of gov control because of this (many people regularly downloads gigabytes of movies - and you are afraid the government can stop bitcoin? - they'll go after shops, exchanges and pools if they REALLY want to. they can do that in any case).

i support any proposal which reasonably increases blocksize and does scale over time. it may be dynamic or a static regular increase i dont really care.

blocksize and centralization: i dont think this is a real problem nowadays. we have an overlay-network which is used by miners to submit block-headers first and transactions are submitted out of band.

imho: its better if the protocol allows too-big-blocks instead of the opposite. miners do want to make money and they heavily rely on a working bitcoin system (otherwise there initial investment is gone). they wont harm too much...

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 03:42:19 PM

An XT FAQ

https://medium.com/@octskyward/an-xt-faq-38e78aa32ff0

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 05:15:29 PM

This is not true. Publishing a large block has a cost to the miner due to fact that the larger he makes his block, the greater the chance that his block is orphaned.  This effect is illustrated in Fig. 8 of this paper:

As an example, in the absence of a block size limit, it would cost a miner approximately 100 BTC on average to publish a 128 MB block, assuming a propagation impedance of 7.5 sec / MB.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2015, 05:22:25 PM

nice read, thx.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:06:23 PM

As a comp sci prof you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to bitcoin. Here is one example:

Some clever bitcoin hackers may be able to create transactions that are valid on only one chosen branch.  However, most transactions issued by typical users will be executed in both chains

Well, can you say more specifically what is wrong with that quote?

ANYONE can create a transaction that is valid only one chosen branch with any wallet! They don't need to be clever bitcoin hackers. There is not such thing as bitcoin hackers, unless they find a bug/way to cheat the consensus like that bug where someone was able to create billions of bitcoins in 2010 (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Value_overflow_incident)

mercistheman

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:23:32 PM

As it appears that XT is inevitable it would be nice get a better understanding of the migration path to XT or effects of staying firm with the core... anyone care to make some rough projections?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 27, 2015, 10:25:58 PM

As it appears that XT is inevitable it would be nice get a better understanding of the migration path to XT or effects of staying firm with the core... anyone care to make some rough projections?

Inevitable how? XT isn't happening, so there's not much projections to make. The BIP100 which probably has the most support right now is not likely to come to pass either for quite a while.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: