Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:33:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain BM1385 Chip ( 230W / T) & AntMiner S7 Discussion Thread  (Read 5035 times)
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 07:52:48 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2015, 08:13:50 PM by sloopy

First to go completely off-topic I respectfully request Dogie to please stop moderating or at least publicly. If you wish to report threads of course it is your choice. Regardless of fault, every time you do this it starts a flame war. I hope you can see it doesn't matter how right you think you are in doing such it causes the rest of us to wade through the crap and then usually the back and forth. Again, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong, it is a reality we must go through to get to what we are here to see.

I will go further and state in my opinion the information you offer in threads outside your review threads lacks research and experience. In your review threads you are normally consolidating information from the manufacturer and have good resolution pictures with the basic information one might need to reference from time to time. It is what many n00bs see for the first time when searching out a bitcoin miner. It is perfect for n00bs to get a feel for the ride they may take, to find the miner on the network, remember the power specification, etc. but for most experienced miners with basic electrical knowledge it is a repository of information. Do not get me wrong, it is good to have such and I have searched your name just to grab a link from your sig and look up a specification.

At some point you must realize the public attempts at moderation and reply to every topic with what has unfortunately many times been inaccurate completely overshadows the good things you do contribute with your review threads and again, this incites some of the very behaviour you report to the mods. It does not make this forum a better place. I am not convinced it is a maturity issue, a need for public confirmation, or you want to be a moderator so bad you are trying to show you can do such. The why doesn't matter except your actions push me to believe you are actively pursuing one or more of those things.

Rather than taking my comments as an attack and reporting it, give it consideration and you do not even need to reply. I think you have heard this all before from others.

The moderators do a fine job here of straddling the lines. I hope your private actions are helpful to them at times. I do not think it is too much to ask that you let them do their jobs and keep your forum moderating recommendations to private communications.

I am confident some replies to my post may include it is my choice to come here, I can use the ignore button, it is everyone else's fault, you have a right to your opinion, and several more items which are not applicable or plainly do not matter when the core issue is, no one wants to read your opinion regarding the thread being locked especially when it does not need to happen.

This thread is / was fine and while I do not wish to debate the validity of this thread I do not have any intentions in continuing a conversation regarding this request to you so I will weigh in with my own opinion. In no way should this thread have caused you any inconvenience. Your comments regarding deleting it may influence a busy moderator to hastily delete it. Good information, opinions, and experience are tremendously hard to come by. I want to read the opinions of several people who have posted in this thread. Through prior actions and shared thoughts some of these people have shown me I want to read their views on any topic and they have experience and knowledge which is a huge asset to this community.

So please try not to take this personally and try to view it as constructive. I know of several people who appreciate your guides and I am one of them. Lets try to build from that. When you do the public moderating and replies to threads with bad information it harms the very thing you are after.

Let the flames begin towards me from any and all, but I sincerely have zero intentions to read or reply. I am not out to be a public figure of bitcointalk, simply a regular reader and follower of honest, experienced, knowledgeable folks who know their limits and maybe a couple who are funny enough the rest doesn't matter  Wink

On Topic:
Obviously I am not pekatete but I did want to reply to anyone thinking the bitmain announcement had an impact on price.
From what I have read on the web and in general social media it is / was the flash crash fire sale which caused the initial push. Whether that has been the sole reason the price did not completely rebound, or the price was even slowly being pushed back down... hmm who can say for sure? I certainly think the bitcoin core vs bitcoin XT vs notbitcoinxt is hurting us. If anyone has 10 grand in their hand and opens a website to evaluate bitcoin they are going to see an article about this debate. I do not think it plays out well in the media because it isn't a good thing.

Do not take me saying it isn't a good thing to mean I am against XT, the block size increase, etc because that is not true. I am against the way this is being handled by all of them.
What I am most against was pulling the curtain back and showing the world dirty laundry.
It is akin to Dorothy seeing Oz behind the curtain pulling levers and smashing buttons to make the fire and smoke appear to be a God / Wizard, etc and once you see such, you do not unsee it.

Bitcoin has now been presented to the world as a store of value controlled by a group of programmers who cannot get their shit together and by the way also control the course of bitcoin. True or not, that is what has been presented for the uninitiated bitcoin user to consume.

Is that what they wanted? Seriously? I blame all of them, and that isn't going to make me any friends but I do not believe this was the only choice. I do believe this is affecting the price and will continue to do so. I think they have damaged our landscape and only time will tell how bad the damage will be, and if it is temporary or permanent.

I have read, watched and listened to everything I can find on the subjects of block size, XT, Gavin and Hearn's history along with most of the others with current commit access and I learned some things. Mainly that Gavin seems to be a bit easy to manipulate (by the right people) but has a good heart and the right intentions.

The core devs should have been way more vocal to the media and met Gavin and Mike head-on in the bitcoin arena with sound counter proposals. This should have occurred well before Mike and Gavin had any momentum. I believe it was the inaction and refusal to simply allow a temporary increase and if they'd all signed on for a 1mb to 2mb, (or MB whichever in this context) then they would have breathing room so they could all argue about the specifics of increasing fees for transactions, etc, and on.

Personally, I am a miner, regardless of my farm being tiny, small, or large by home miner standards, I pay for everything and don't get anything for free and I think that does give me a right to my opinion just like it gives anyone holding some coin a right to voice theirs. My opinion is the core devs, Mike, and Gavin are all at fault and of all the choices which could be made we are on track for what is bad for bitcoin from a perception standpoint.

We must remember that reality is perception is reality, and the way many will perceive this debate is bitcoin is already centralized due to being affected by a couple of guys who are part of the programming team who make the bitcoin code. If those two guys have the power to cause havoc then it certainly isn't the "decentralized", "no one controls", "government cannot harm" "money of the internet" it has been billed as by the bitcoin community.

I have done my homework and understand most of what has transpired. I understand Mike and Gavin do not control bitcoin, nor do the core devs. The reason the price is being impacted is because  the perception of many people who may consider investing or who are hoarding and will (have?) start dropping coin.

I do not think the recent flash crash was caused by XT, but the depression of price is impacted by XT and it very well may get much worse before it gets better. However, I am not turning any miners off, I actually added quite a few TH and picked up coin on the low side. I recommend we all invest a little more of what we can afford to lose and keep doing what we do.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:09:06 PM

The crash happened BEFORE Bitmain announced the BM1385.

Most of us that have published estimates are estimating that the S7 will have a little less power draw than the S7, at a hair more than double the hash rate.
 I don't think anyone has published a serious estimate under 500 watts, the concensus seems to be 520-550 watt ballpark.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 08:22:48 PM

If they go with a top-clock strategy like they've done on the odd miners so far, and keep an unregulated string like they seem to prefer, we'd be looking at a 2x17 string allowing 2.55TH per machine but at almost 700W. If for some reason they did a single-wide chain instead of two chips wide (which is a lot more likely to have balance and stability issues) we could see a 1.3TH 350W machine but that's not terribly likely.

Or they could change things up and go with VRMs, lose 10% of their power and still actually be about the best thing going. Problem is, if they want to use the TPS53355 like almost literally everything uses, they're looking at a VRM per every two chips, which pretty much doubles the cost. Using a multiphase setup like I believe Avalon pulled out for the 4.1 might do a better job but still greatly increases the cost. It's possible they'll build a miner under 500W but there's a lot of hindrances to doing so.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: