Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 06:18:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XT: It's On! First block was mined by an XT miner  (Read 3229 times)
Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:44:16 AM

To anyone who can read, bitcoin is defined by majority miner adoption, not majority business adoption.

Miners will therefore decide what chain is "Bitcoin" (the longest) and markets will decide what it's worth.

I've only just started catching up on this XT, so excuse me if I'm missing something obvious or have it wrong, but I have seen lots of posts similar to this.

It seems to me that the major problem is that 99.9% of users/miners will have no say whatsoever in this decision, given that the 5-6 biggest pools which mainly have their own hardware control over 75% of the hashrate it is them that will make the decision not us.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:12:22 AM
Last edit: August 19, 2015, 11:58:40 AM by toknormal

It seems to me that the major problem is that 99.9% of users/miners will have no say whatsoever in this decision, given that the 5-6 biggest pools which mainly have their own hardware control over 75% of the hashrate it is them that will make the decision not us.

The longest bitcoin chain is still the longest bitcoin chain - not altcoin chain - whether it's mined by a million solo miners or 5-6 pools.

What's happening with XT is just par for the course in open source software and I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. There doesn't need to be developer consensus and people can release whatever version they like, when they like, so the whole paradigm might as well get tested sooner rather than later as to how the "economy" deals with such diversification.

As to who gets a "say" in what version prevails, it's true that individual end users probably don't have much of a direct influence - relatively speaking. But they do have an aggregated indirect impact I imagine. Miners can migrate between pools or stop mining if they don't like the block acceptance policy, users vote with what clients, exchanges and commercial retailers they use etc.

How the whole ecosystem nets out is anybody's guess but I think it's slightly more complex than just a few pools deciding on behalf of everyone.

At any rate, you can't accuse a developer of wanting to "hijack" the system just for releasing a diversified version when that very diversification is the essence of open source, decentralised software assets such as bitcoin.

Many of the anti-XT lobby seem to have some legitimate technical concerns but the real reason they've sat on their hands in the "scaleability" debate and lost the initiative is strategic, not technical...

"Should bitcoin continue to evolve as an independent, universally accessible, decentralised monetary medium or should its existence and serviceability be made dependent on a proprietary superstructure the way the fiat system is".

Those in the latter camp are in the passive role because bitcoin's design objectives call for the former option and it's incumbent on the developer community to support those objectives IMO.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 01:08:39 PM

the bitcoin loyalists will prevail against the sidechain usurpers.
With you on his side, Adam can't lost.
Bro, your fork, it's broken: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1156489.0
With you on his side, he can't lose.

It's not about sides anymore.  It's about the fact XT is designed to spy on and blacklist its users.

Bitcoin XTs Tor IP blacklist downloading system has significant privacy leaks.
That's not what's happening. Blacklisting people on bitrcointalk is actual blacklisting.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
tombtc

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 01:40:47 PM

Seriously, how can you make an alt by forking bitcoin and use the same name?
Lucko

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 04:50:16 PM

FUD. They are not talking about XT code but QT(core) proposal

http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010388.html
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010435.html

Read first...
Lucko

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 04:53:35 PM

With you on his side, Adam can't lost.
With you on his side, he can't lose.

It's not about sides anymore.  It's about the fact XT is designed to spy on and blacklist its users.

You do know you are lying right. But your signature shows how honest you are...
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:50:50 PM

It's not about sides anymore.  It's about the fact XT is designed to spy on and blacklist its users.

And a few posts down on that maillist, said by P. Todd: "OP may have been looking at the wrong code"
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010388.html

iCEBREAKER, stop lying and spreading FUD.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 05:55:33 PM

Angry  drivel merchants with a fetish for antagonising and tribalising every contentious topic on bitcointalk and who achieve "legendary" status with it.   Cry

Aww poor thing.  You are obviously upset because you'll never be Legendary and resent my ability to research contentious topics, analyze, form opinions, and defend those opinions.

You can buy my account for 100 BTC and I'll promise not to make another one.   Wink

If you're too poor to afford that, please consider fucking off to DashScamTalk or voat's /v/bitcoinxt subverse (places where I won't hurt your feelings).

they've sat on their hands in the "scaleability" debate and lost the initiative is strategic, not technical...

BIPs 100-104 demonstrate the devs have not been sitting on their hands.  Please calm down and stop exaggerating.

The debate is technical, regardless of your desire to make it a popularity contest:

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:47:47 PM

The debate is technical

Is that a fact.

In that case you're a wasted talent cos comic strips are over here.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 11:33:59 PM

[ blathering ]

[ blathering ]

You guys are like my troll entourage!  Maybe I'll take one of you on as an intern.  Either of you any good with an Aeropress?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6642

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 01:28:22 AM

BIPs 100-104 demonstrate the devs have not been sitting on their hands.  Please calm down and stop exaggerating.

The debate is technical, regardless of your desire to make it a popularity contest:
At this point, the debate is no longer technical. The consensus is generally to raise the block size, as shown by BIPs 100-104. The problem I see is the way to do so which is more political. It is basically a contest between which BIP will actually get used. Of course, XT has a head start since it already has an implementation while I have not yet seen any implementation of the other BIPs.

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:19:47 AM

It seems like the second block has been mined aswell looking at this  : http://xtnodes.com/xt_blocks.php , when we are supposed to upgrade to XT though ? I know it's on January and stuff however do we need 75% nodes running or we need 750 block mined from 1000

ujka

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:27:17 AM

It seems like the second block has been mined aswell looking at this  : http://xtnodes.com/xt_blocks.php , when we are supposed to upgrade to XT though ? I know it's on January and stuff however do we need 75% nodes running or we need 750 block mined from 1000

750 blocks mined from LAST 1000.

Looong time to go...
Funny thing, this two mined blocks won't even count.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:27:49 AM

It seems like the second block has been mined aswell looking at this  : http://xtnodes.com/xt_blocks.php , when we are supposed to upgrade to XT though ? I know it's on January and stuff however do we need 75% nodes running or we need 750 block mined from 1000

You can change now if you want, fork is only triggered if those conditions are met, if they don't, nothing happens.

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:28:47 AM

750 blocks mined from 1000.

Looong time to go...

It dosen't make sense then , why would they said it should stay up for two weeks . If blocks are mined then it's done ... so why the wait of 2 weeks  Huh or both nodes   & mined blocks should be available

ujka

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 08:32:40 AM

It seems like the second block has been mined aswell looking at this  : http://xtnodes.com/xt_blocks.php , when we are supposed to upgrade to XT though ? I know it's on January and stuff however do we need 75% nodes running or we need 750 block mined from 1000

Looong time to go...

It dosen't make sense then , why would they said it should stay up for two weeks . If blocks are mined then it's done ... so why the wait of 2 weeks  Huh or both nodes   & mined blocks should be available

You're not getting it.
It's not done. 750 blocks must be mined in LAST 1000, to allow fork to happen.

This two mined blocks won't even count, as the window of 1000 blocks is moving.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6642

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

Looong time to go...

It dosen't make sense then , why would they said it should stay up for two weeks . If blocks are mined then it's done ... so why the wait of 2 weeks  Huh or both nodes   & mined blocks should be available

You're not getting it.
It's not done. 750 blocks must be mined in LAST 1000, to allow fork to happen.

This two mined blocks won't even count, as the window of 1000 blocks is moving.
Then there is also a grace period of two weeks to get everyone to switch to XT before that actual fork and creation of a greater than 1 MB block.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: