Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:20:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Core Defense Strategy  (Read 1405 times)
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:16:24 PM

I don't see why defend Core if Core XT better serves the needs of the market. Can you enlighten me?

Someone?

There are different markets that have different needs. If the intended market is mainstream online payments, PayPal and Visa already serve this market quite well.

Quote to add a note of another XT bashers.

Go on. I'm compiling a data of all the XT Bashers, it help to show the community what drives them
Westin Landon Cox (OP)

Activity: 136

Get your filthy fiat off me you damn dirty state.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 07:18:53 PM

I don't see why defend Core if Core XT better serves the needs of the market. Can you enlighten me?

Someone?

There are different markets that have different needs. If the intended market is mainstream online payments, PayPal and Visa already serve this market quite well.

The same is true with XT indeed but mainstream adoption of bitcoin have always been part of the plan. If you want a niche coin there are plenty of them out there. Big players that have invested millions in bitcoin related companies are on the side of mainstream adoption and XT has made the first move in that direction.  

You may be right about this. It's easy to imagine a future in which Coinbase is the norm, tracking coins and closing accounts. Whitelisting addresses associated with government identities and blacklisting those that are not. That may be what's required to go mainstream and XT may be a first move in that direction. All I can say is that I won't be a part of it, and I won't call it Bitcoin.

Quote from: Satoshi
>You will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography.

Yes, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of
freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled
networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be
holding their own. 

Satoshi
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09971.html

Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:22:47 PM

The best defense is a good offense.  
We should start compiling lists of targets susceptible to Ddos attacks like mining pools and exchanges.
... we could put a hit out on Gaven Tongue

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Westin Landon Cox (OP)

Activity: 136

Get your filthy fiat off me you damn dirty state.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 07:27:33 PM

Tsk, tsk. No hits on anyone. This war will be fought with hashing power and game theory.

And maybe some ddos.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:30:36 PM

Someone?

The same is true with XT indeed but mainstream adoption of bitcoin have always been part of the plan. If you want a niche coin there are plenty of them out there. Big players that have invested millions in bitcoin related companies are on the side of mainstream adoption and XT has made the first move in that direction.  

You may be right about this. It's easy to imagine a future in which Coinbase is the norm, tracking coins and closing accounts. Whitelisting addresses associated with government identities and blacklisting those that are not. That may be what's required to go mainstream and XT may be a first move in that direction. All I can say is that I won't be a part of it, and I won't call it Bitcoin.

holding their own. 

Satoshi

I don’t think anyone here would support whitelisting or anything like that. Bitcoin itself is international so it should remain agnostic, fungible and permissionless. I’m also pretty sure most of the big players recognise that as well. If such a thing would happen, then we’ll have the ability to fork it again if the numbers are there. That’s pretty much what XT is demonstrating right now with the scalability issue.

meono

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:32:42 PM

Someone?

holding their own. 

Satoshi

I don’t think anyone here would support whitelisting or anything like that. Bitcoin itself is international so it should remain agnostic, fungible and permissionless. I’m also pretty sure most of the big players recognise that as well. If such a thing would happen, then we’ll have the ability to fork it again if the numbers are there. That’s pretty much what XT is demonstrating right now with the scalability issue.

The funny thing is that has nothing to do with the "blacklist" code.....

Some ppl are really twisted, no help for them.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 07:48:53 PM

So, your solution to a forked blockchain is to fork it into three pieces instead of two?

XT will create a block that is bigger than CORE or CD will accept.
CD will create a block that is lower difficulty than CORE or XT will accept
CORE will create blocks that both XT and CD will accept as long as it can create the blocks faster than XT or CD.  If it can't create blocks fast enough, then its blocks will simply be orphaned and ignored on the faster systems.

Yes. And I know from reading your posts here that you technically understand what I'm suggesting. Your summary here is perfect.

CD would be a strategic move to discourage people from voting for XT. The existence of CD would make it less likely that CORE would survive if it's a competition between XT, CD and CORE. However, CD would make it clear beforehand that XT will not be the only surviving chain. Since having more than once surviving chain is considered to be an unacceptable outcome by many people, this makes people less likely to vote for XT. The consequence? CORE survives. The intended outcome.

Well done.  What do you think about a CoreDefence wallet, designed to make it easy to double spend XTcoins (should anyone be brave enough to accept them) while keeping Bitcoin safe?  (Why should MPEX have all the fun shorting Gavincoins?)

There could also be a CD pool, where anyone can donate to a fund which provides lower (perhaps negative) fees to miners.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:00:43 PM

I think a large number of core supporters would compromise to the tune of a 2mb block size if they get some kind of guarantee black-listing and ip reporting is taken out of the code.

XT supporters need to understand Core supporters are stubborn fuckers who will never agree to 8mb blocks.

Consensus is everything.
We need a fee based system not a free system. If its free to use the system then its free to spam the system.
May the Ddos be with you.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:04:26 PM

Hey, spreading lies, fear mongering and censoring is not enough?

Pathetic.
danielW

Activity: 277
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 04:01:52 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2015, 04:12:33 AM by danielW

Why would you actively work to divide the community? If the majority supports XT, why continue to fight the majority? Regardless of your views, one cannot argue that the wrong blocksize is more detrimental to Bitcoin than dividing the community. I dont understand how one can believe such stubbornness is beneficial to the network.

Too be fair, trying to push a fork through with only 75% hash power (or less as Hearn suggested using checkpoints) is just as divisive.

Bitcoin was designed so a majority cant enforce their rules on a minority.

It should be 90-95 % at least.

Gavins single pool argument was dishonest too. Miners can switch pools.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 09:40:24 PM

Why would you actively work to divide the community? If the majority supports XT, why continue to fight the majority? Regardless of your views, one cannot argue that the wrong blocksize is more detrimental to Bitcoin than dividing the community. I dont understand how one can believe such stubbornness is beneficial to the network.

Too be fair, trying to push a fork through with only 75% hash power (or less as Hearn suggested using checkpoints) is just as divisive.

Bitcoin was designed so a majority cant enforce their rules on a minority.

It should be 90-95 % at least.

You are expecting too much understanding of How Bitcoin Works from the XT troll.

Fairness is not a concept Gavinistas use, otherwise GavinCoin would have its own independent launch and genesis block instead of hijacking Bitcoin's.

Mike "Final Call" Heam will even use checkpoints to get his way.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████