Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do so many bitcoin exchanges get the money to stay open?  (Read 1801 times)
VitoH (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:38:55 PM

There's so many bitcoin exchanges that have been open for months, if not years, that make so little in fees that they could barely afford to pay a single employee for a month.

What am I missing here? A lot of exchanges charge around 0.2-0.5% per trade, which, to even make $50k off of in a year, the exchange would need to do 10 million in trade volume. This instantly excludes all but the top exchanges. What about the majority of the other exchanges? I could see one computer software engineer alone setting up his/her own exchange with some hard work, but managing one with all the needed security, customer support requests, just seems implausible to do alone. I must be missing something.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:27:42 AM

I know what you mean. I guess a lot are hoping to gain a major foothold. It's a fairly changeable market. Gox was the daddy once upon a time, then Bitstamp, then China went mad and now Bitfinex is the top USD exchange.

They know their customers' balances and when orders are placed. There are no laws from stopping them from controlling what happens on the exchange to their own advantage. I'm sure that's a nice little earner for a few of them. You could also arrange a 'hack' at a certain point if you feel like topping up your balance.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:00:54 AM

Even the largest crashed, you have to be very careful in choosing exchanges, best to distribute among a few exchanges.
CoinBateman

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:50:54 AM

Its a very good thing that there are many exchanges out there. Obviously some serve very specific markets, and have the backing from domestic banks and the government making it easier for those in that respective region to use that exchange over others.

For a very able person, running an exchange is still a very difficult task however, and given the nature of the business, only those most confident with security should even attempt to run their own.

I can't think of any exchange that hasn't had security issues at some point in the lifetime, and to make matters worse, its a constant cat and mouse game.

In terms of surviving though, unless you do serve a very large client base, it doesn't cost a-lot even if you're not making any profit to run one. I suspect some exchanges like Yobit, EmpoEx, Bleutrade et al, are probably in this category.

One thing that I do love about markets in general though is that the survival of the fittest will weed out those that simply cannot afford to continue operating, or deem it too difficult. We all like to joke about places like Bitfinex (Particularly after the fiasco of August 2014, and August 2015 flash crashes) but the fact they have survived to this day is a testament to them adapting and serving a market that clearly require such a platform.

@CoinBateman | Killer Crypto Instinct
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2015, 03:30:08 AM

Trading fees add up! 
lissandra

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 05:17:41 AM

Most of these exchanges get outside funding usually, or a group of investors.

Its usually not a indiviual thing, and they trade on the outbound fees to stay afloat with the cost.

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 05:36:12 AM

There's so many bitcoin exchanges that have been open for months, if not years, that make so little in fees that they could barely afford to pay a single employee for a month.

What am I missing here? A lot of exchanges charge around 0.2-0.5% per trade, which, to even make $50k off of in a year, the exchange would need to do 10 million in trade volume. This instantly excludes all but the top exchanges. What about the majority of the other exchanges? I could see one computer software engineer alone setting up his/her own exchange with some hard work, but managing one with all the needed security, customer support requests, just seems implausible to do alone. I must be missing something.

It's easy. They play with the money of the customers. I want bitcoin and you want dollar. I put my bitcoin in the system and you put your dollars in the system. When the money "meet' each other the do the change and the owner of the exchange take his part without doing nothing. Naturally they have some reserves in the main currency but all the other are money of the customers.
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 07:47:30 AM

I think the big whales might be in control of such exchanges and therefore, have control over the market too with their fake crashes, etc. And a single man handling a whole exchange, as realistic as it may sound, might actually exist. You never know how hard people actually really work on such projects, I've met a man who has a team of 2 and handles such a venture Smiley
TinEye

Activity: 639

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 02:46:17 PM

well after you settled everything with your exchange you do not need many people working on it, because the code is done, maitanance and small upograde can be done by the owner who built the whole site pretty easily, so there is no cost in this regard, they can also earn with leverage and fees, not only trading fees but any fee

also i'm sure that many employees which work there have other jobs, and perhaps they are only helping for small amount of hours a day, so do not counts it as a full pay wage
and I also have a feeling that they are good traders themselves, so maybe they trade on their own exchange with zero fees of course

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 03:35:42 PM

I believe most exchanges have had a negative cash flow for most of their existence, but that's the case of many companies offering new services or technologies. Launching a start-up is tough, especially if they've written their business plan when BTC was over $1,000. I guess they've started with little capital though. They were miners and the first BTC they've sold were those they've mined.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 04:00:19 PM

a lot of early adopters have a lot of money to invest on infrastructure and marketing which results in a lot of people using their exchange which results in lots of fees per transaction = making a lot of money.
I have no idea how new people start new exchanges without being already well off.
MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 12:08:59 PM

These companies need a money to start the online site but after that if they get more traders then they will pay the fee for each transaction that will be big money for them. If they fail to attract many people then those will close.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 06:50:30 PM

Because there are just too many fiat money out there, bitcoin is just a fun game in the eyes of rich people

Some rich kids with a pocket change could open an exchange and set a 100k bitcoin buy wall and forget about it and go for his vacation

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 07:06:32 PM

Well think again, operating a few hosted SERVERS and a domain costs less than 200-300$/year for a startup exchange.

Yet you see whales trading there 10 btc in every small exchange, so thats like 0.05 whale trade, and I bet they earn atleast 30 btc/year, even if you have a few guys trading.

Not to mention they put a few more ads on the page, and its resolved.

You dont need millions of $ to operate an altcoin exchange. Just look at yobit, its a low budget exchange, yet whales there trade 10-20 btc.

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 23, 2015, 04:47:06 AM

They must be paying employees out of their equity capital.
It is not uncommon for businesses to take a long time before they break even.
n2004al
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 11:11:23 AM

I believe most exchanges have had a negative cash flow for most of their existence,

I don't believe this. It is a non sense. If this would be true then why those would exist? The major groups behind those can operate with lose without having any profit or the miners which wanted to change their coins cannot go in lost for to much time. In the begining maybe yes but then where is the sense? If they will continue to lose continuously money why remain open?
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 12:46:08 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of exchanges are running on fractional reserves. Proving their solvency is an important step for me.

HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 01:08:56 PM

Some Bitcoin exchanges work more for fun, not for profit. Owners just like to be in BTC world  Wink
RealBitcoin

View Profile
August 25, 2015, 09:42:41 PM

Some Bitcoin exchanges work more for fun, not for profit. Owners just like to be in BTC world  Wink

Many exchanges work to scam people. For example there are rumors that a well known exchange is rigging their orderbooks, and then scamming newbie traders with their own ICO shitcoins.

So if they get only 0.5% from trading comissions, they load the big bucks from their internal scams. And then once and a while a "hacking" scam happens, and they outright steal half of the money of their customers, then they apologize and say that "we will uppgrade our security".

Eventually if all things get too hot, then they pull their exit scam by disguising another "hacking" or "ddos" and running with all the money.

Then next time you see the site is down, domain sold, e-mail address closed, and the owner run to some carribean island with all the stolen money he robbed from newbies.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:15:55 AM

They must be paying employees out of their equity capital.
It is not uncommon for businesses to take a long time before they break even.

Exactly, in today's business environment where everything is over-produced, if you can't afford to continuously lose money for 5 years, you won't be able to get enough large market share so that you can have a chance to take customer from those established ones

btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:18:45 AM

Big volume of bitcoin is give Big fee in trading
and he take profit from that way Roll Eyes
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 12:25:40 AM

Big volume of bitcoin is give Big fee in trading
and he take profit from that way Roll Eyes

I assume the OP is referencing all the piddly exchanges out there, and there's no shortage of them.

techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 26, 2015, 01:51:56 AM

The whole big fee with exchange thing wont change though. But maybe gemini will run things differently?

OR else how would the exchange stay afloat, it needs a certain amount of fees to cover overhead costs and then also provide fiat or bitcoin when people want it as well.

n2004al
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 06:51:02 AM

Hahaha. You make me laugh. Very funny. You tell that some people invest money in a business only for fun? I don't know if you are joking or you believe in this but this sentence it is very strange. I can't believe this never.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 09:49:10 AM

The whole big fee with exchange thing wont change though. But maybe gemini will run things differently?

OR else how would the exchange stay afloat, it needs a certain amount of fees to cover overhead costs and then also provide fiat or bitcoin when people want it as well.

can't think of a reason of why gemini would run its exchange without fee. maybe only at the very beginning as a promotion for joining people. i find a fee between 0.1-0.2% reasonable and fair. 
RealBitcoin

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 10:15:09 AM

Well even the smallest exchange has a daily volume of 50 BTC.

So that is a 0.2% fee on 50 BTC, so basically the exchange is earning at least 0.1 BTC/day, which is pretty good.

acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 10:54:28 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of exchanges are running on fractional reserves. Proving their solvency is an important step for me.

No man! I'm sorry but I think that most of them use that system. The have this option and I think they use it.

Please refer to this thread: it is always good to know this kind of things.

Wink

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=945881.0
NoRespect

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 11:32:41 AM

hahaha,,that's right if you want to profit, playing trading, not exchanger  Cheesy
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2015, 05:57:48 AM

Maybe you underestimated the trade volume. Sometimes just by sitting in front of the computer and looking at the screen you can just see how fast the numbers run every minute. Plus the money parked in exchangers could be used for other things. That's why insolvency is one issue.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: